Tour de France 2016

Homme

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Froome in yellow and that is that barring illness or injury.

How F'n dull. I can't believe he gained time on a f'n descent. His "challengers" eating and drinking as they freewheeled behind him. Hope it aint just a procession to Paris but fear it will be. Today could be interesting.

Adam Murray

Excellent awareness from Peter Sagan and Chris Froome to pull out a gap with 10km to go on a fairly flat stage, both have a teamate with them too

All roads lead to Gorgie

Should be no contest for the top of the podium now. Froome just needs to produce his normal form in the Alps and it's a done deal. A bit boring for the spectators and those hoping for a close fight though !

Freaky Dancer

Awesome bit of cycling but rather disappointing in term of the fight for CG. Know the feeling when you get dropped in a cross wind, painful! Not seen anything from Quintana yet to suggest that he can pull it back. Think he will lose more time by the time they get to the Alps by which point it will be too late.

Adam Murray

As Geraint Thomas said the other day, when asked about why he thought Quintana had not attacked, "maybe he just can't"

Thursday's mountaintop finish on Mont Ventoux has been cancelled because of high winds and the stage will finish further down the mountain. Shame

Shame about Mont Ventoux but it was always liable to happen with the way the weather was.

Great piece of opportunism again by Froome today. Two big attacks so far this year, but on a descent and on the flat!

Nobody seems able to get close to overhauling him. could be the easiest (and most boring) Yellow Jersey for Froome yet.

Adam Murray

I think part of the problem with Quintana is that he never feels he has the full backing from his Movistar (Spanish) team, with Valverde always looking to undermine him, a lot of the time seemingly riding his own race, and with five fellow Spaniards and a Portuguese rider also in the team, I think Quintana often feels isolated with only one fellow Columbian in the team, so not only having to try to beat Froome, but to continually show better than Valverde. An example on this years Tour was Valverde, who is seen as one of the best downhill riders on the Tour, not willing to lead Quintana in the chase of Froome on his solo descent to victory on stage 8

Fantastic stuff. Much as I find Froome as dull as, hats off for not sitting crying like some whinging Johnny Foreigner.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Attention seeking idiot spectators certainly to blame. Froome fined for pushing one out the way is a joke surely !

Good to see some of the gendarmes on motorbikes smacking people/riding them off the road today.

Need far, far more of them up in the mountains!

Time for the authorities to take charge and protect the riders...and I know it was a TV bike that caused todays issue but that was due to the public interfering

There are too many silly people who seem to think its fun to get in the way and claim 5 seconds of TV exposure..........time to arrest a few and jail them

Froome may have gone ahead and virtually won the race today but now it could cost him it through no fault of his own

All roads lead to Gorgie

Time for the authorities to take charge and protect the riders...and I know it was a TV bike that caused todays issue but that was due to the public interfering

There are too many silly people who seem to think its fun to get in the way and claim 5 seconds of TV exposure..........time to arrest a few and jail them

Froome may have gone ahead and virtually won the race today but now it could cost him it through no fault of his own

Make them wear their mankinis in public for a month, that should fix it once and for all !

Big decision for the TDF today they will have to do something based on the time lost by Froome.

Only sensible course of action.

They have to clamp down on these idiots getting in the way.

Rocco_Jambo

Froome getting Armstrong style protection now. No chance Mollema would have got a time change if he were the one that was down.

Adam Murray

Froome getting Armstrong style protection now. No chance Mollema would have got a time change if he were the one that was down.

I'd imagine if he, or anyone else for that matter, had been the current yellow jersey holder, then the race committee would have came to the same decision.

Rocco_Jambo

I'd imagine if he, or anyone else for that matter, had been the current yellow jersey holder, then the race committee would have came to the same decision.

So different rule for the yellow jersey?

I doubt that anyway. If Mollema was in yellow I doubt he would have ended up being given same time as Froome.

Adam Murray

So different rule for the yellow jersey?

I doubt that anyway. If Mollema was in yellow I doubt he would have ended up being given same time as Froome.

Not so much a different rule for the Yellow Jersey, it was exceptional circumstances and the common feel is that the right thing has been done.

We won't know for sure if another rider in Yellow would have been given the same treatment, but what we know now is that if the same kind of thing happens in the future, a precedent has been set.

Rocco_Jambo

Not so much a different rule for the Yellow Jersey, it was exceptional circumstances and the common feel is that the right thing has been done.

We won't know for sure if another rider in Yellow would have been given the same treatment, but what we know now is that if the same kind of thing happens in the future, a precedent has been set.

You said yourself that you thought this would have happened to anyone in the yellow jersey.

It won't set a precedent at all because it's such a a vague and arbitrary decision. What if Mollema had stayed down as well. Whose time would Froome have been given then?

Adam Murray

You said yourself that you thought this would have happened to anyone in the yellow jersey.

It won't set a precedent at all because it's such a a vague and arbitrary decision. What if Mollema had stayed down as well. Whose time would Froome have been given then?

Yes, and I still believe it would, it's all if's and but's, the decision was made, what I believe and most of the respected commentators believe, was the right decision.

And Richie Porte wasn't in Yellow, but was also given the same time as Mollema.

As I said, it was exceptional circumstances which I'm sure will be referred back to if similar happens in the future.

Rocco_Jambo

Yes, and I still believe it would, it's all if's and but's, the decision was made, what I believe and most of the respected commentators believe, was the right decision.

And Richie Porte wasn't in Yellow, but was also given the same time as Mollema.

As I said, it was exceptional circumstances which I'm sure will be referred back to if similar happens in the future.

It's all ifs and buts because they invented a new rule. The cars and motorbikes have caused crashes on hundreds of occasions before but on this occasion they created a new vague rule because it was Froome that was down. Of course Porte was going to get the same time as Froome because he was down with Froome. As I say if it was Mollema and Porte down they wouldn't have been given the same time as him if he zipped off.

I presume by respected commentators you mean uk commentators. Next time a car or motorbike causes and accident we may as well switch off the TV and tune in after the race to find out who has been given what time.

Adam Murray

It's all ifs and buts because they invented a new rule. The cars and motorbikes have caused crashes on hundreds of occasions before but on this occasion they created a new vague rule because it was Froome that was down. Of course Porte was going to get the same time as Froome because he was down with Froome. As I say if it was Mollema and Porte down they wouldn't have been given the same time as him if he zipped off.

I presume by respected commentators you mean uk commentators. Next time a car or motorbike causes and accident we may as well switch off the TV and tune in after the race to find out who has been given what time.

At least we both agree on that, 'if's and but's'. Decision made though.

I take it by your posts you don't like Froome?

Juan Antonio Flecha and Sean Kelly thought it was the right thing to do, as did Jonathan Vaughters, even Adam Yates stated it wouldn't have been the right way for him to take the Yellow Jersey

Anyway, more time gained by Froome on his nearest rivals in the TT

Rocco_Jambo

At least we both agree on that, 'if's and but's'. Decision made though.

I take it by your posts you don't like Froome?

Juan Antonio Flecha and Sean Kelly thought it was the right thing to do, as did Jonathan Vaughters, even Adam Yates stated it wouldn't have been the right way for him to take the Yellow Jersey

Anyway, more time gained by Froome on his nearest rivals in the TT

It take it from your post you don't like any of the other riders except Froome?

I just don't like to see a particular rider get treated differently from others just because he is the main man and in the yellow jersey particularly when he's already likely to be so far clear of his competitors.

We've all seen what racing has done before to keep its superstars at the top.

Adam Murray

It take it from your post you don't like any of the other riders except Froome?

I just don't like to see a particular rider get treated differently from others just because he is the main man and in the yellow jersey particularly when he's already likely to be so far clear of his competitors.

We've all seen what racing has done before to keep its superstars at the top.

I actually don't particularly like Froome, but just thought out of sportsmanship, it was the right thing to do.

More of a Peter Sagan fan myself

Only a few more stages to go after tomorrow's rest day. Quintana seems unable to damage Froome due to SKY's marshalling of the Peloton.

Wednesday, Friday and Saturday are punishing alpine stages and the last chance saloon for Quintana (or anyone else).

Will Froome and SKY push to open more time on wednesday then watch Froome seal it on the time trial on thursday?

Adam Murray

Falling like flies on the wet descent of the penultimate mountain today, Froome, Porte, Nibali, Yates and Mollema have all been down

:scenes: today! No big attacks but lots of slipping and sliding and drama.

Lance froome wins again.

Aye, heard it???????????

SKY made it a boring tour; they bullied and dominated every other team right out of it and didn't let anybody have enough energy to even think about launching attacks.

Brilliant tactics on show every day.

SKY made it a boring tour; they bullied and dominated every other team right out of it and didn't let anybody have enough energy to even think about launching attacks.

Right out of the US postal teams hand book.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I sort of lost a bit of interest this year as Sky just seem to do the same thing slowing the down the other contenders and bunching round Froome like his minders. All part and parcel of the game but too repetitive for me.

I'd like to see several teams surround them and allow his nearest rival to win the tour.

Well done Chris - fantastic achievement. The pampered footballing elite players could learn a thing or two about real grit and hard work from these riders

Well done Chris - fantastic achievement. The pampered footballing elite players could learn a thing or two about real grit and hard work from these riders

They could purchase an altitude chamber. Or even give blood and get it back again.

Athleticism seems more important than skill these days. A marauding full back that can't cross a ball, but that's alright he can run all day.

It's been a good your and I can't wait for the Champs later on. Always gets the heart racing watching them ramp up the pace as they build up to the last lap.

In terms of making the race for yellow less predictable I'd like to see rider radios banned. They have made it too easy for a team to win by data and statistics.

siegementality

The strongest rider wins the race. He is usually aided by the strongest team. Team Sky were head and shoulders above everyone else. They overpowered everyone by efficient teamwork, just how team sports should work.

Sagan could have taken that sprint but he was actually getting wheel spin in the last few metres as his back wheel was on the white painted road markings.

Glad for Greipel though. Right now 3 weeks of hell will seem worth it to him.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Greipel wins sprint but Sagan would have had him if his wheel didn't slipped just short of the line.

Well done Froome over all though !

Poor Tour overall.

Ban radios.

I thought it was a very good tour but only if you treated it as a series of one day races. Lots of fascinating stages and winners, constant entertainment from Peter Sagan, Cav getting it up the doubters, and some well planned routes. Sadly the race for yellow wasn't as unpredictable.

I thought it was a very good tour but only if you treated it as a series of one day races. Lots of fascinating stages and winners, constant entertainment from Peter Sagan, Cav getting it up the doubters, and some well planned routes. Sadly the race for yellow wasn't as unpredictable.

The lack of attacks spoilt it.

Cavendish proving his doubters wrong was obviously good but all a bit bland.

Archived