Tour de France 2016

Homme

Stage 1 starts today. Some spectacular scenery on day 1 with the riders taking on Mont Saint Michel.

I've not really been following the build up this year so have no idea who is looking strongest. Froome, Quintana and Contador will be up there though.

What's everyone's fancies for Le Tour?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zoltan socrates

Cancellaras last tour, new dura ace gruppos on show, froome still looking favourite, hoping for more cavendish podium time but thinking he's getting in a bit now

Great place to start too

Cannae wait

Froome a huge favourite but Quintana will push him all the way.

The route this year is amazing, with mountain, flat and time trial stages all mixed up right the way through.

Next three weeks will be engrossing.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Gutted as I was booked to go and watch the stage in Morzine this year. Had to cancel as a family member is ill.

parisjambo

Always depends on who stays upright and keeps their team healthy, but can't see past Froome or Quintana. Nibali might be in with a shout for the Giro/Tour double. He didn't have too much defending of the Pink jersey in the Giro, so might have the legs to compete. I think Contador is past it now, but still a good shout for the podium in Paris.

Off to Saint-L? tomorrow for the stage start tomorrow, and then down to Angers for stage 3 finish on Monday.

Italian Lambretta

My favourite sporting event of the year.

Put a fiver on Nibali at 28/1. Following his Giro win I think the view is he doesn't have the legs to win another grand tour this year.

I think he might be a surprise if he gets through the 1st week without any problems.

Also a lot of good younger riders this year who will be thereabouts.

Italian Lambretta

Take a look st steephill TV. It's on ITV 4 as well

Any good sites to follow tour? Eurosport's site isn't as good this year.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Nice words from Cav about the history of the place.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Contador down again. Needs to fit the stabilisers on his bike again. Ha ha.

Last few kms of today sounds horrifically technical and dangerous, and it's going to be raining too!

There are quite a few riders could go for it today. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Martin making a break.

Enjoy the scenery, 2 dopers out of contention now.  The biggest fraud doper since Armstrong, Froome (or Wiggins if you want to argue), will probably win now but wee Nairo (doper) will run him close.  Enjoy.  Shout for Pinot/Gardet/Barguil/ Rolland if you want to see 'clean' racing.  All French and dope but nothing on the scale of Sky or any of the above, mentioned.   

Enjoy the scenery, 2 dopers out of contention now. The biggest fraud doper since Armstrong, Froome (or Wiggins if you want to argue), will probably win now but wee Nairo (doper) will run him close. Enjoy. Shout for Pinot/Gardet/Barguil/ Rolland if you want to see 'clean' racing. All French and dope but nothing on the scale of Sky or any of the above, mentioned.

I think you had one to many merlots writing that post.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think he or she is onto the 15th. Ha ha.

Other than releasing wattage data, blood test results and many other things, I'm not sure how much Froome has to do to prove his innocence to some people.

All roads lead to Gorgie

There are quite a few riders could go for it today. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Martin making a break.

He does seem to like a downhill finish where he can get on the descent well ahead of the sprinters. I am not sure if this is a flat finish today but if it is the sprinters should prevail. I'll go Sagan today.

Oops I think I got my Martin's mixed up and was thinking the about the German Tony.

All roads lead to Gorgie

What a finish. Cav only in front for half a metre but that's what counts. Greipel had the power but Cav the leg speed.

I do like a nice glass of the red stuff.  But I certainly wouldn't do what these guys do..  Blood out (stored for a month or so after altitude training at the same time micro doping with EPO ).  Transfusion one, just before the start, followed up by a top up on the rest days. I bet you think Mo Farah  is clean as well!!

Other than releasing wattage data, blood test results and many other things, I'm not sure how much Froome has to do to prove his innocence to some people.

You'd need to be seriously careless to be caught.

Oh, it's very easy.  His pre 2011 data.  You won't see that any time soon.  Doped up fraud.

Not the first stage Contador would want. Looked like a sore one.

He was my favorite to win! He seems to not understand the concept of staying upright to win le tour? He is always in pile-ups. He's such a talent  but so frustrating to follow.

Oh, it's very easy.  His pre 2011 data.  You won't see that any time soon.  Doped up fraud.

Still, it takes more than doping to win this pastime for psychopaths.

Phenomenal achievement to win this once, let alone twice.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The most interesting stage so far starts today with climbs in the Massif Central. Those with ambition to win the GC and King of the Mountains will have to give it a push today!

All roads lead to Gorgie

I'm thinking Sagan again for today?

According to my little guide book there are five second and third cat climbs in the last third of the stage. Sagan is one of the few sprinters that could still get over the climbs and be in contention but I would fancy someone like Contador today if he is not too far out of it to try.

According to my little guide book there are five second and third cat climbs in the last third of the stage. Sagan is one of the few sprinters that could still get over the climbs and be in contention but I would fancy someone like Contador today if he is not too far out of it to try.

Sagan can manage today's climbs. Probably not much more than that though. I've actually went for Valverde in the end.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Sagan can manage today's climbs. Probably not much more than that though. I've actually went for Valverde in the end.

A good chance for him. Froome is good at throwing in the unexpected stage win too but he might be holding back for the big climbs in the last week.

I do like a nice glass of the red stuff.  But I certainly wouldn't do what these guys do..  Blood out (stored for a month or so after altitude training at the same time micro doping with EPO ).  Transfusion one, just before the start, followed up by a top up on the rest days. I bet you think Mo Farah  is clean as well!!

Wasn't questioning the comment you made mate, just the way it was written, i fully understand the in's and out's of whats legal and whats unethically legal in cycling.

Until teams are happy to unreservedly report every riders performance tests then there will always be question marks over who is doing what. 

:2thumbsup:

I reckon Contador will have a crack but Froome will tail him up and try to finish ahead to get inside his head even more.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I don't know what it is about Froome but i just can't take to him.  Amazing cyclist and all that but just doesn't do it for me.  Would like to see someone like Pinot or Van Garderen up there at the end.  

Sagan has thrown in the towel today. Leaders 7.5mins up but peloton making ground with 30k to go. Touch and go whether they'll be caught.

Depends how the next climbs affects the leaders. Movistar have looked fantastic over the last few km.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The breakaway have to try and stretch or at worst keep the gap on this flat section before the climb to come.

I fecking love when Le Tour hits the mountains.

Riders all over the place, wee groups struggling up the hills, huge gaps.

:jjyay:

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was out so didn't see the finish but I heard he won on a downhill finish. I think that is a first for Froome and shows his versatility to win mountain stages no matter how they finish. 90 percent of stages won by Brits so far is astonishing!

Tomorrow was expected to be Froome's big push, with an uphill finish at the top of an HC.

Today was just a bit of opportunism. Great stuff seeing him solo time-trial the last descent. 

Archived