Sam Nicholson

Kramer

He has been awful for months now. I cant actually remember the last time he went past a defender. He seems to have lost a yard of pace and is turning into a one trick pony. Never wants to take it to the by line and cut it back. He just wants to cut in 99% of the time.

Makes the Billy King loan deal to Rangers all the more frustrating as we have been playing the likes of Cowie as a right midfielder.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We_are_the_Hearts

The same Robbo who celebrated a goal at easter road by giving hibs fans a bit of Gareth Hunt Nescafe action?

Was that the game at Easter Road when they were singing "Robbo where's your wife?" when she was getting pumped by big John Clark at Dundee UTd? Wee man scored a free kick then a bullet header to give us a 2-1 win that day

Hilary Briss

I think he started the season well.

IMO and from what I have heard.........he has had his head turned from his agent, who had filled his head with big moves away in summer and that has affected his form.

Unfortunately for him, his performances for second half of season have been pish poor and his chances of getting a decent move are slim to none.

Its a common story these day.........agents filling players heads full of mince......Scott Allan and Jason Holt to name but two, who also have the same agent.......as does Jason Cummings.....who is also being touted to any available clubs. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not just Sam but any boy at Hearts is getting a challenge. If they are struggling with the Hearts regime England is probably a pipe dream.

Nookie Bear

For a while Sam was one of the mst exciting talents seen at the club in years, and a home grown one at that. I would put Walker in that bracket as well. Raw, but certainly exciting and they now have over 200 appearances between them.

Point is, if we as a club cannot develop the talents of guys like Sam, Jamie, McGhee, Paterson etc beyond 'average' then it calls into question everything we are trying to achieve.

If we were to let Sam and Jamie go cheaply, or in the same way Holt did, and replace them with guys like Cowie and Swanson, then I would be seriously concerned at the way we are operating behind the scenes.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He has been awful for months now. I cant actually remember the last time he went past a defender. He seems to have lost a yard of pace and is turning into a one trick pony. Never wants to take it to the by line and cut it back. He just wants to cut in 99% of the time.

Makes the Billy King loan deal to Rangers all the more frustrating as we have been playing the likes of Cowie as a right midfielder.

Agreed he doesn't even cut across the box now. I have always been convinced that the King move was a reality check for Billy

Nookie Bear

Was that the game at Easter Road when they were singing "Robbo where's your wife?" when she was getting pumped by big John Clark at Dundee UTd? Wee man scored a free kick then a bullet header to give us a 2-1 win that day

It was really early on in his career - think he shot from outside the area and it took a nice deflection around the keeper.

Robbo loved getting at hibs and Sam is the same. Good on them.

Not just Sam but any boy at Hearts is getting a challenge. If they are struggling with the Hearts regime England is probably a pipe dream.

Good, was just about to post something similar.

My point is that a player with ability and what it takes mentally to reach towards the top in football would still show signs of that class even if played in a way or system that he didn't agree with or like playing in.

When these young guys break into the team, its about learning and getting used to the step up. To a large extent they will be told, as much as possible, to do what they are good at. Any young player will love that experience and thrive on it, even if that means that parts of the team as a whole dont operate as well due to that player's inexperience.

After a season or two in the first team the development element of their progression will require them to work harder on the bits of the game they are not so good at. Depending on the mentality of the player they may not enjoy this element quite so much.

Finally, if a player loses form or doesnt look like they have made progress, its easy for them to blame the coach or the system to point the finger of blame elsewhere. OK, it might be the management but I'd say its more likely to be the player, because of the player is good enough and has the right mentality to succeed in the game he wont go around moping all the time about the management.

A player of true quality will shine in the current Hearts team - if they want to. See Sow, Rossi, Souttar, Djoum, Ozturk etc.

For a while Sam was one of the mst exciting talents seen at the club in years, and a home grown one at that. I would put Walker in that bracket as well. Raw, but certainly exciting and they now have over 200 appearances between them.

Point is, if we as a club cannot develop the talents of guys like Sam, Jamie, McGhee, Paterson etc beyond 'average' then it calls into question everything we are trying to achieve.

If we were to let Sam and Jamie go cheaply, or in the same way Holt did, and replace them with guys like Cowie and Swanson, then I would be seriously concerned at the way we are operating behind the scenes.

Or it calls into question the mentality of the player, and the genuine ability they have to become a top player.

Nookie Bear

Or it calls into question the mentality of the player, and the genuine ability they have to become a top player.

It may well do but it is also up to the club to identify the players (especially the younger ones) who are stalling and need that extra push to take them to the next level, which is where they are more than capable of reaching.

We quite literally can't afford to give up on those kinds of talents because, as everyone keeps reminding each other on here, our model is to develop talent and sell it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It may well do but it is also up to the club to identify the players (especially the younger ones) who are stalling and need that extra push to take them to the next level, which is where they are more than capable of reaching.

We quite literally can't afford to give up on those kinds of talents because, as everyone keeps reminding each other on here, our model is to develop talent and sell it.

I would say the model relies heavily on finding people with the burning desire to work. English football is unlikely to look at weeds and moaners when they can hand pick from virtually any nation ready made athletes

Nookie Bear

I would say the model relies heavily on finding people with the burning desire to work. English football is unlikely to look at weeds and moaners when they can hand pick from virtually any nation ready made athletes

I may have missed it but are Sam, Jamie, Mcghee, Paterson all weeds and moaners?

Those types of players exist in every team and unfortunately need to be accommodated and motivated. Do we just give up on them and let them stagnate or do we work with them to getthem moving forward again?

It may well do but it is also up to the club to identify the players (especially the younger ones) who are stalling and need that extra push to take them to the next level, which is where they are more than capable of reaching.

Nobody has given up on them though

Nicholson has been in the team nearly every game for example, as does Walker.

Mcghee continues to get chances despite dodgy moments in games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I may have missed it but are Sam, Jamie, Mcghee, Paterson all weeds and moaners?

Those types of players exist in every team and unfortunately need to be accommodated and motivated. Do we just give up on them and let them stagnate or do we work with them to getthem moving forward again?

Nope. Generic comment of Scotland's footballers in general. They like an afternoon off. The great players don't

Nookie Bear

Nobody has given up on them though

Nicholson has been in the team nearly every game for example, as does Walker.

Mcghee continues to get chances despite dodgy moments in games.

You're right but the current consensus is that they are stagnating.

It is being insinuated they are moaners and weeds and are unhappy with the coaching staff and management. If any of that is true then the club needs to address it and get them back on board.

Nookie Bear

Nope. Generic comment of Scotland's footballers in general. They like an afternoon off. The great players don't

Thought we had double/triple/quadruple* training sessions

*delete as applicable

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Thought we had double/triple/quadruple* training sessions

*delete as applicable

I genuinely don't know what they do at the moment but if you are tired playing in the SPFL I don't believe England is the right place for them

Nookie Bear

I genuinely don't know what they do at the moment but if you are tired playing in the SPFL I don't believe England is the right place for them

Yep.

I would rather they played to their full potential for Hearts for a year or two before they get their move anyway. If they play well, then their time will come.

IveSeenTheLight

Interesting reading this thread.

Of those that are questioning Nicholson's or Walkers ability to play at a decent level down south, I definitely think they are capable.

When I think of Nicholson and Walker, I compare with Jamie Murphy (Brighton) and Johnny Russel (Derby).

Both teams in the play offs in the championship and both pushing for promotion to the EPL.

The thing is, it would appear from some thoughts in this thread, that they are stagnating and questioning their ability to push on.

I wonder if the need to move to have that fresh challenge and benefit from playing against better teams and players.

Youth in Scotland very rarely progress down south and those that do succeed seem to fair better moving earlier in their careers.

It's a sad state, but I think realistically, if you've not secures a move by the time you get to around 100 appearances in the SPFL, your very unlikely to succeed (I accept there are always exceptions to the rule) 

hearts_crazy

Has he improved since the summer of 2014?

Why so many sub appearances? Is the manager restricting his progress?

Yep, you're right.  Robbie has clearly told him to stop playing Football, and has threatened him with sanctions if he dares to beat a single opposition player.  In fact that's true of all the players who are just going through the motions at the moment.  Actually, that's the game plan every game, 'just go out there and stand about for 90 minutes' says Robbie.

If you're going to start yet another Robbie Out thread at least have the balls to call it that.

Nookie Bear

Yep, you're right.  Robbie has clearly told him to stop playing Football, and has threatened him with sanctions if he dares to beat a single opposition player.  In fact that's true of all the players who are just going through the motions at the moment.  Actually, that's the game plan every game, 'just go out there and stand about for 90 minutes' says Robbie.

If you're going to start yet another Robbie Out thread at least have the balls to call it that.

I know, clearly Robbie wants Sam to beat players and create chances but he is not doing that for some reason. Is is a mental thing? If so, it is up to the management to get the best out of him.

It is also up to Sam himself. He is in a lull and the only way out is to work hard and improve his game - he needs to take that on board.

Interesting reading this thread.

The thing is, it would appear from some thoughts in this thread, that they are stagnating and questioning their ability to push on.

I'm going to need a tin hat for this, but here goes.

Have you heard whether Aberdeen are still keeping tabs on Sam Nic?

Jamboelite

Don't know his reasons why but I do know he's not happy and will be away.

Is the reason cause he has been playing humpty ? people actually blaming Neilson ffs.

Sam needs to have long hard look at himself and start working on the weaker parts of his game as Jamie Walker did he has the time on his hands to do it.

His body language tells you he's not happy.

much like the 15,000 Hearts fans trudging out of Tynecastle on Saturday......

I think teams are figuring out how to stop Sam, Start of the season he was being allowed to make runs right across the edge of the box, now he's getting pushed further and further up the pitch. We need another similar winger. Oh, wait.

His body language tells you he's not happy.

...with the terms of his new contract offer. Allegedly.

IveSeenTheLight

I'm going to need a tin hat for this, but here goes.

Have you heard whether Aberdeen are still keeping tabs on Sam Nic?

Nope, not heard anything since.

I guess we'll hear more after Sunday or maybe even after Thursday, whether they were of any substance or not.

Remember, I didn't think it would happen, 

jack D and coke

Don't know his reasons why but I do know he's not happy and will be away.

Bit disappointed to hear that. Sam is one of the genuine talents we have on our books. He's certainly dropped form wise but I think he needs to consider his options carefully here if that's right.

hearts_crazy

Bit disappointed to hear that. Sam is one of the genuine talents we have on our books. He's certainly dropped form wise but I think he needs to consider his options carefully here if that's right.

Manager's fault apparently.

Actually i've had another think about the original question, you know, about how random and stupid it is.  Presumably the OP will admit that Sam improved a lot over the 2014/15 season, (maybe not because that doesn't fit in with the agenda), but in reality he definately did improve over last season.  Presumably that improvement was NOT down to Robbie, just the recent dip in form is Robbie's fault, is that right?

You're right but the current consensus is that they are stagnating.

It is being insinuated they are moaners and weeds and are unhappy with the coaching staff and management. If any of that is true then the club needs to address it and get them back on board.

Consensus that they are stagnating????? Most people have seen an improvement in Walker who is far from stagnating. McGhee just seems to be not as good as we hoped he would be and Callum still has work to do to improve defensively but to say he is stagnating seems odd to me. Sam has certainly gone back a bit in the second half of the season but he is still young enough to improve again if he works hard. 

seebeegee

Not in the know or claiming to be but I feel a lot of players have jaded in the 2nd half of the season and also in the second half of games. We just seem to run out of steam. Could it be the triple sessions meant we steamrollered over the part timers last season but in tougher SPL games the players are just tiring quicker?

I also think Sam is struggling as he's up against better quality players and teams that are better organised to break through and get in behind. He's also got Oshaniwa behind him who doesn't release it quick enough or with enough quality to break away. We're quite a labouring, methodical rigid side and he's just not getting the balls or space to do anything. Almost no room for flair

Not in the know or claiming to be but I feel a lot of players have jaded in the 2nd half of the season and also in the second half of games. We just seem to run out of steam. Could it be the triple sessions meant we steamrollered over the part timers last season but in tougher SPL games the players are just tiring quicker?

I also think Sam is struggling as he's up against better quality players and teams that are better organised to break through and get in behind. He's also got Oshaniwa behind him who doesn't release it quick enough or with enough quality to break away. We're quite a labouring, methodical rigid side and he's just not getting the balls or space to do anything. Almost no room for flair

I think he was dropped in the Easter road Derby match as Neilson wasn't happy with his defensive work. We do need to afford for a few luxury players that can change games but with the technology these days all stats and heat maps are monitored and heavily utilised in team selections. Neilson needs to allow him a lot more freedom.

Bazzas right boot

Been managed poorly.

Wingers generally need rotated and rested, king leaving has also affected Sam as he has played too many games IMO.

King leaving seems to have benefited no one, he got less game time, Sam has played too much and we haven't had the option to rotate sub them.

Playing on front of osh hasn't helped, even on Saturday he bailed him out a few times.

Generally pur play has slowed, this hasn't benefited anyone.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We are only looking jaded because they hit their target early.

Funny enough we didn?t look jaded when they actually had a legitimate reason to play that way.

Since the transfer window we have went back . The team really did revolve around Osman Sow. Sam among others needs to up his game

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Been managed poorly.

Wingers generally need rotated and rested, king leaving has also affected Sam as he has played too many games IMO.

King leaving seems to have benefited no one, he got less game time, Sam has played too much and we haven't had the option to rotate sub them.

Playing on front of osh hasn't helped, even on Saturday he bailed him out a few times.

Generally pur play has slowed, this hasn't benefited anyone.

Juwon is being experimented with whilst points aren't important

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

He's been rank but then if I was a young player who loved driving forward and running with the ball I'd be fed up too of my manager never really cared about any of that but instead filled my head every week with how much of a dangerous attacking threat my opposing full back was going to be.

BrellierBoy

I think the team spirit in general seems poor. A lot of the young lads seem sick of the lack of effort shown at times by Juanma and Dauda as well as the obvious lack of ability from Oshinawa. They are seeing players like Holt, Eckersley and King(loan) being moved on and are not convinced by these moves. I think heads are being turned by other clubs as they are not happy with what is happening at Hearts. If Holt does the business in the top league next year we will look like mugs as he should have been developed further by us. A fit eckersley would have been a great asset to us this year. Billy King will be looking to get out of Hearts also.I think it is a possibility that Walker, Paterson, Nicholson, King and Mcghee will all be away in the summer.

Just watched his winner against St. Johnstone from the opening day of the season again. So full of life. The whole team was. Even with conceding three.

People who keep on bumming on about triple sessions tiring the players out do know that the players aren't running around doing circuits 3 times a day? They also know that we have a sports scientist constantly monitoring them?

We've basically got a EPL type training system in place. If the players can't cope with it they don't have what it takes.

Simple as that.

feedtheroman2

He's a good player but seems a bit off recently.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Like so many others players he will be totally bemused and annoyed at the tinker man and his gaffer. Jokers are choking the club!

This

fabienleclerq

This season he started well and tailed off. I agree king leaving probably took the pressure off him.

I'm not having he doesn't do the defensive work, sam works his ass off, ive seen him on the right hand side of the goal clearing off the line when he's playing left wing.

Manager's fault apparently.

Actually i've had another think about the original question, you know, about how random and stupid it is.  Presumably the OP will admit that Sam improved a lot over the 2014/15 season, (maybe not because that doesn't fit in with the agenda), but in reality he definately did improve over last season.  Presumably that improvement was NOT down to Robbie, just the recent dip in form is Robbie's fault, is that right?

He looked like a world beater last season as did others, Pallardo being perhaps the best example as he was playing week in week out against utter dross. It was completely unrealistic to think he would be destroying defenders in the SPL like he was against Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton and Alloa. He has some ability but overall his end product is often poor and he flatters to deceive way too often. Whilst it would be disappointing if he wasn't to make more of his chance at Hearts as things stand and as has happened many times before if he left he would be quickly replaced and forgotten.

People who keep on bumming on about triple sessions tiring the players out do know that the players aren't running around doing circuits 3 times a day? They also know that we have a sports scientist constantly monitoring them?

We've basically got a EPL type training system in place. If the players can't cope with it they don't have what it takes.

Simple as that.

Also the 3rd session is entirely voluntary and let's just say the numbers ain't good.

Also the 3rd session is entirely voluntary and let's just say the numbers ain't good.

Which is pathetic

We_are_the_Hearts

We could be the fittest team in the World but it wouldn't matter if we don't play with much pace or tempo. Djoum, Kitchen and Buaben are good midfielders but don't give the right mix and none seem as brave as Gomis was to keep dictating the tempo and take the ball. That's what Alim was complaining about on Saturday.

I think Sam needs a rest and he looks although he hasn't fully recovered from the injury he had earlier in the season.  Next season hopefully he will be fully fit and performing well again.

Billy King would have been ideal to step in and takeover from Sam until he recovers... I don't think it was a good idea to left him go on loan to Sevco when we have such a small squad.

Bazzas right boot

Juwon is being experimented with whilst points aren't important

Makes sense, I'd do the same but don't think it helps Sam. Although the points I made contribute to his poor form a not more.

Bazzas right boot

I think Sam needs a rest and he looks although he hasn't fully recovered from the injury he had earlier in the season. Next season hopefully he will be fully fit and performing well again.

Billy King would have been ideal to step in and takeover from Sam until he recovers... I don't think it was a good idea to left him go on loan to Sevco when we have such a small squad.

Said it a while ago, its as simple as that, Sam needs rested, with king leaving that option has gone, Sam's played too many games, wingers need rotated/ freshened up every so often.

Archived