Next Season

stevie1874

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Consensus seems to be we've had some good players for almost two seasons now. Most are also agreed Celtic and Rangers have been more vulnerable recently than they have been in decades but will both strengthen now that they're together again. With all of this in mind, our current coach is winless in six verses Celtic, winless in the last two versus Rangers, not to mention winless in five in the high-pressure environment of a derby. Serious question, what are people seeing to think either that won't matter or that it will change drastically enough for us to challenge? It doesn't add up to me.

unfortunately bang on diana

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consensus seems to be we've had some good players for almost two seasons now. Most are also agreed Celtic and Rangers have been more vulnerable recently than they have been in decades but will both strengthen now that they're together again. With all of this in mind, our current coach is winless in six verses Celtic, winless in the last two versus Rangers, not to mention winless in five in the high-pressure environment of a derby. Serious question, what are people seeing to think either that won't matter or that it will change drastically enough for us to challenge? It doesn't add up to me.

It's a good point and not a particularly easy one for some people to answer to, I'd imagine.

A few weeks ago Rangers were losing 2 goal leads away to Falkirk and a week or so past threw away a lead to draw with Raith which meant they couldn't see out the league title victory.

Yesterday they were right up for the game and caught Celtic cold in the first half. However if the boy from City didn't miss a sitter it's a different game.

Then it was a wonder strike that gave them a lead, against couldn't hold on to it.

A few weeks ago at Celtic Park we played a similar game, the difference was Celtic were clinical in the few chances we game them, yesterday they weren't.

Rangers looked a side who can get themselves up for a big game, can they do it over a season with that current team, I very much doubt it.

Next season I expect teams to take points of each other but don't see anything to be fearful of.

Very good post mate.

This is the unfortunate reality. Winning the Championship against the poorest Rangers side imaginable, managed by an imbecile, seems to have created unrealistic expectations amongst the uber confident.

Hearts are moving into an intriguing period over the next few years. Capacity soon to exceed 20,000 aligned to a relatively debt free burden that's stifled us for decades (to varying degrees) it's going to be a challenging support to placate, especially if we move into a renewed old firm duopoly.

What is clear however is that Hearts, if under careful and progressive stewardship, are in a position to mount a serious and hopefully sustained challenge in a meaningful manner that we probably haven't witnessed previously.

Keeping a core support of c. 18,000 engaged and active is going to be the challenge, hopefully not disillusioned by potential for old firm dominance

The league will be tougher next season, if only due to Rangers being there . We need to strengthen over the summer,and the season tickets sales needs to be as a minimum the same as this season to ensure the cash flow is maintained. 

I agree, if anything it shows how far celtic have fallen and that they ate catchable. As opposed to rangers becoming 1970's Brazil.

However, rangers mindset was 100% spot on they took celtic on, showed brown up to be slow and clumswy, imposed their game on celtic.

Tactically and mentally we could learn from them, ignore the fear factor and you can match them.

Hopefully we realise this next season.

Shut up you hun.

But yes, i agree. Celtic were and are there for the taking.

This is the unfortunate reality. Winning the Championship against the poorest Rangers side imaginable, managed by an imbecile, seems to have created unrealistic expectations amongst the uber confident.

Hearts are moving into an intriguing period over the next few years. Capacity soon to exceed 20,000 aligned to a relatively debt free burden that's stifled us for decades (to varying degrees) it's going to be a challenging support to placate, especially if we move into a renewed old firm duopoly.

What is clear however is that Hearts, if under careful and progressive stewardship, are in a position to mount a serious and hopefully sustained challenge in a meaningful manner that we probably haven't witnessed previously.

Keeping a core support of c. 18,000 engaged and active is going to be the challenge, hopefully not disillusioned by potential for old firm dominance

Whatever you say the championship last season was stronger than this season.

Despite this Rangers this season will not beat our points total from last season.

How any genuine hearts fan can say we don't deserve any credit for last season, and presumably say we don't really deserve any credit for this season either is beyond me.

Whatever you say the championship last season was stronger than this season.

Despite this Rangers this season will not beat our points total from last season.

How any genuine hearts fan can say we don't deserve any credit for last season, and presumably say we don't really deserve any credit for this season either is beyond me.

Your final statement isn't a representation of what I've said.

Your final statement isn't a representation of what I've said.

Not saying it is.

But some are in that camp.

Any Hearts fan that undermines both last season and this season is an arsehole though.

The only thing I think Robbie needs to improve on is our performance in the last 20 mins of games.

This season we've never been behind after 70 mins and come back to win a game.  Only once have we come back from losing to draw (against Celtic in the 2-2).

We have though, thrown away late points to Hamilton (2-3), Killie (1-1), Aberdeen (0-1), Killie (2-2), and Dundee Utd (1-2).

Last year we got late draws against Hibs and Rangers, and a late win against Rangers (as well as some others, eg Dumbarton away) and that meant fans left the ground happier

Good post. There is undoubtably a lot to be positive about right now at Hearts and an opportunity to really establish ourselves over the next season or two. We have to do better in the cups, our record is woeful in recent times despite the euphoria of the Hibs Final. Personally I think the structure of the club is in great hands with the caveat that they are prepared to replace Neilson if he is unable to show progress in the key matches, in our away record and in getting closer to Celtic who will definitely be the team to beat again next season.

The signings we do make need to work immediately in the same way Zeefuik did last season and Djoum has this. There is no room for error if those who believe we will challenge are to be correct. We simply can't afford signings who were believed to be key such as Oshinawa to be such failures. Too much of the budget is then taken up and we have to persevere with them dropping points in the process. We would also have to keep Paterson and Walker as they will not be replaced by a similar standard. 

The reality is that in my opinion we are still some way off being seen as realistic challengers. I don't think we have a keeper that you win the league with. I don't think we have the leadership yet at the back you win the league with despite having a couple of promising players I don't think we have the Cameron/Hartley midfielder you require to score the goals from midfield and we are certainly 2 players short up front of that there is no doubt. Our discipline has continued to be suspect this season and our mentality whilst at times excellent is far too inconsistent. Our away displays have been as regularly poor bordering on unacceptable as they have been impressive. So there is much work to do.

In short next season big progress would be us getting to within 10pts of Celtic which might well challenge for 2nd but a lot will have to go right for the margin to be that small given the changes they will make. Thats my prediction anyway.

Tin hat time, and going on from previous posts, for us to mount a serious challenge next season the man at the helm needs to change his mentality. We should fear no one but away this year especially away from home you can see he trying to play a containing game.This combined with looking to see games out in the last half hour doesn't work against full time better opposition. Respect the opposition but fear no one.

Robbie's mentality is the key to us challenging next season, he as well as the players need to have learned from this season.

Before anyone starts with the normal c##p I'm not a Robbie oot person I just want him to grow a pair when we play the so called bigger teams and away from home.

I agree. I think today was a wake up call for anyone deluded enough to think Rangers might struggle to make the top 6 let alone the top 2 or 3.

The same Rangers team that scraped a 3-3 draw with Raith Rovers, actually not the same team a stronger team with Forrester, King and O'Halloran in it. Rangers do not currently have a team that can challenge for the Premier league. It's likely they will strengthen in the summer and it will depend on the quality of signings and how they settle whether they are going to be good enough!

Robbie will say Europe is our goal whilst gunning for a title challenge.

People will wet their knickers.

We'll still only have approximately a third of the budget of the old firm - why would be expected to make a serious and sustained challenge?

JamboJohn1874

Robbie will say Europe is our goal whilst gunning for a title challenge.

People will wet their knickers.

The honeymoon period with Neilson is over and he has to continue the good work from this season, whilst cutting out the tinkering, negativity and worrying about opponents that we have all seen too much of.

The difference with Rangers coming up next season, is that they will not go into games worrying about stopping opposing players. They will try to win every game, including against Celtic. Our manager has had his season to learn and make mistakes and must realise if we are to make any kind of serious challenge, we have to go out and attack in all matches. I honestly don't think it will take that much to alienate supporters, should standards drop, and the plane incident this year shows there are quite a few who are not overly happy.

The crucial difference Neilson has to work around that all other previous managers haven't, is that FOH contributions are crucial for the club and any sign that direct debits start to drop will likely be met with quick action.

I think he is capable of becoming a very successful manager, but making the same mistakes as this year is unlikely to be tolerated. 

3rd may prove to be the best we can do but I get the inpression that CL, RN and the board are fiercely ambitious.  If we bring in good players and don't suffer badly from long term injuries or too many suspensions, I honestly believe we will be up there challenging.

I'm also hoping against hope that we can rid ourselves of our dismal record in the League Cup by winning it again at last.  I was there last time we won it and I was 13.  I'm 66 now.

I was there also mate. (67). Remember when they 'scored' in the last minute, and it was chalked off for (iirc)handball? Just about had kittens! Like you, Iwould love us to win it again. Long overdue.

We'll still only have approximately a third of the budget of the old firm - why would be expected to make a serious and sustained challenge?

Compared to the situation we have faced historically due to unsustainable debt servicing costs etc being removed.

Then again I suspect you know that but are simply moving around the board

Unfortunately Rangers and Celtic will take first and second next season - probably by a distance. Today's result is a wake up call for Celtic and an incentive for Rangers. I predict an arms race over the summer where both will spend vast sums in order to compete and in doing so they will, once again, leave the rest behind. Sadly we will be back to where we were pre Rangers demise. It's all a bit predictable but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Unfortunately if all this comes to pass our crowds will start to drop again, if supporters don't have dreams to aspire to, and things return to the status quo, I'm afraid we will struggle to fill our new stands, unless the OF are in town and we are increasing there allocations again

Scottish football returning to the way it was before the old Rangers demise in 2012, might result in Armageddon.

But hey it won't matter as long as there are 4 old firm games every season

Simply moving around the board? Am I supposed to only post in a single thread?

Not at all.

Think you get the point though

We (all other teams) will be also rans behind the the Bigot twins next season according to the media and all the ex OF players and managers. We should be thankful the Rangers are back where they belong according to them. It will be scraps thrown from the table of world wide adulation for the Bigot twins. We all should be thankful for our lot next season and get on with challenging for third spot.

Agree here.

If we can maintain our crowds and see an increase in budget then we're looking good.

alwaysthereinspirit

I will be amazed and absolutely speechless if a team out with the evil 2 win the league in Scotland in the next 20 years.

The The Rangers coming up just made it harder. Not because they'll be good but because they will get help when needed. Some things never change.

I will be amazed and absolutely speechless if a team out with the evil 2 win the league in Scotland in the next 20 years.The The Rangers coming up just made it harder. Not because they'll be good but because they will get help when needed. Some things never change.

I think Rangers still have some huge financial challenges ahead of them.

gowestjambo

Agree though kind of what Leicester have done

Leicester City should be the example we follow. What they have achieved with a squad a fraction of the cost of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal etc is fantastic.

However, until we install the belief and the mentality that we can compete with rangers and celtic we will continue down the path we have travelled since the 60's................

I think Rangers still have some huge financial challenges ahead of them.

Yeh, like how does a debt free club spend ?10.5million in ST revenue

Did Leceister have the belief and mentality they could win the league last season?

Do they have it this season?

Are they where they are primarily because most of the other big teams have royally ****ed things up this season?

I don't think Leceister are a model for anything IMO.

Leicester are a model in a number of ways and to say otherwise is laughable; astute signings, consistent team selection, excellent goalkeeping, disciplined defence who hate conceding,  real balance in midfield, strikers who play with confidence and know where the net is. Further to that and quite remarkably as well as having the best home record they have the best away record by a considerable margin in the EPL and an experienced manager who is getting the best out of his squad. 

To say that they have taken an advantage of an undoubted down year for a number of the big clubs in England would be entirely correct, the irony being that the very poster who uses that as the only reason for their success (utter nonsense) would rubbish the notion that Hearts would require exactly that to have a prayer of wining the title up here. 

Leicester are a model in a number of ways and to say otherwise is laughable; astute signings, consistent team selection, excellent goalkeeping, disciplined defence who hate conceding, real balance in midfield, strikers who play with confidence and know where the net is. Further to that and quite remarkably as well as having the best home record they have the best away record by a considerable margin in the EPL and an experienced manager who is getting the best out of his squad.

To say that they have taken an advantage of an undoubted down year for a number of the big clubs in England would be entirely correct, the irony being that the very poster who uses that as the only reason for their success (utter nonsense) would rubbish the notion that Hearts would require exactly that to have a prayer of wining the title up here.

They are only a model if they perform like this for more than one season.

To say otherwise is truly laughable.

Watt-Zeefuik

If we want a model, Valencia or Atletico Madrid are probably better picks.  They, too, operate in a league where a duopoly has erected structural barriers to anyone else winning the league, and they've managed to do it on a semi-regular basis.

I've said a title every 10 years should be about our expectation if we're well run, and that's about what Atletico has managed.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Sorry what? If we won the league and then finished 5th for five straight years I'd be delighted. You wouldn't?

Utter nonsense.

The only thing I think Robbie needs to improve on is our performance in the last 20 mins of games.

This season we've never been behind after 70 mins and come back to win a game. Only once have we come back from losing to draw (against Celtic in the 2-2).

We have though, thrown away late points to Hamilton (2-3), Killie (1-1), Aberdeen (0-1), Killie (2-2), and Dundee Utd (1-2).

Last year we got late draws against Hibs and Rangers, and a late win against Rangers (as well as some others, eg Dumbarton away) and that meant fans left the ground happier

That's because this season we've only been behind after 70 minutes 4 times. We've been one goal behind twice - once away to ICT and once in the Celtic game you mention.

We've been ahead at the 70 minute mark far more often.

LarrysRightFoot

If we want a model, Valencia or Atletico Madrid are probably better picks. They, too, operate in a league where a duopoly has erected structural barriers to anyone else winning the league, and they've managed to do it on a semi-regular basis.

I've said a title every 10 years should be about our expectation if we're well run, and that's about what Atletico has managed.

Leicester, Spurs, Atlectico, Woflsburg, Montpellier, AZ, Twente - they all play in twice a season formats.

I doubt they could have achieved (are in the process of achieving) in the modern game in a 12 team 4 times a season format.

Despite this I do still hope we can achieve a title push/win next season.

Sorry what? If we won the league and then finished 5th for five straight years I'd be delighted. You wouldn't?

Yes but it wouldn't show a model to copy.

A true model to copy is one which is sustainable.

That is what the point made suggests.

I'd rather win the league then win the league the next 5 years. Wouldn't you?

Utter nonsense.

You can't possibly say that a true footballing model to copy is one which only generates one season of success?

If Leceister truly is a model to follow they will also challenge next season, and they will challenge even if the big boys get their act together.

If they don't then - great as this season has been - it won't be a 'model'. This season will have been a success as much due to outside factors as to internal factors.

If anything Spurs have the model to try and emulate - they have been building and improving for years.

Buy cheap players, develop an amazing team spirit and win the league on a budget which is a fraction of your competetors, nah **** that eh.

Buy cheap players, develop an amazing team spirit and win the league on a budget which is a fraction of your competetors, nah **** that eh.

That's exactly what we will have to do.

You can't possibly say that a true footballing model to copy is one which only generates one season of success?

If Leceister truly is a model to follow they will also challenge next season, and they will challenge even if the big boys get their act together.

If they don't then - great as this season has been - it won't be a 'model'. This season will have been a success as much due to outside factors as to internal factors.

If anything Spurs have the model to try and emulate - they have been building and improving for years.

You talk utter nonsense, you really do :lol: every post you make is worse and more delusional than the last.

Right, so Leicester aren't a model we should follow yet they have done exactly what we will need to do in order to win the league.

Its Leicesters first attempt, Spurs have been hibsing their money for decades.

We have had good players relative to our position. We bought the right players to supplement the young talent in order to win the championship. Some of those players weren't good enough to get us to 3rd in the top league and no longer feature.

We again bought this season to get us a comfortable 3rd in the top division. Again this close season those not good enough to take us further will go.

When they assess the squad for next year there are a number of players who will go because they cannot compete at the highest level. They will be replaced by players who can take us on.

It's a steady build to get us to league challengers. In Souttar, Rossi, Kitchen, Patterson, Djoum, Walker and hopefully Nicholson and possibly Ozturk we have the core of a young talented team who can challenge anyone.

Robbie Neilson is a talented coach and his record is outstanding...league title winner and 3rd with a promoted team that's the facts. Year on year he's improved us and next season will be no different.

We will challenge for the title and if we don't win it we'll be very close in second.

His loss to hibs will soon be a distant memory I'm sure of it.

Right, so Leicester aren't a model we should follow yet they have done exactly what we will need to do in order to win the league.

Leceister aren't a model full stop. They have done what any club without the resources of the big teams in their league needs to do.

They have done it well.

They have also got lucky that every big EPL team has ****ed up.

If we win the league next season it won't be because we've followed the Leceister City model - you see how deluded that would sound?

Leceister aren't a model full stop. They have done what any club without the resources of the big teams in their league needs to do.

They have done it well.

They have also got lucky that every big EPL team has messed up.

If we win the league next season it won't be because we've followed the Leceister City model - you see how deluded that would sound?

There isn't a 'model' at work here at all. It's a unique set of circumstances where a group of decent players has come together and is greater than the sum of its parts. Add to that a pretty decent manager who was previously vastly underrated and a bit of a figure of fun. And majorly add to that that all 4 teams you might have expected to be up there fighting it out for the title have not put one single decent run of results together.

If Leicester win it, and I hope they do, there won't be any lessons to be learned and I doubt very much it will happen again for decades.

For Hearts to win it, a remarkably similar set of circumstances would have to repeat itself, albeit in a different league. We won't have followed a model as such, although we are closer to Spurs in terms of the feasibility of winning it from a standing start than leicester were.

Watt-Zeefuik

To me Leicester are simply proof that "can't/won't/never" is unjustified.  The gap between us and the Twin Cheeks is smaller than that between Leicester and the big clubs they're beating.

Leicester may very well be relegated in a few years, even if they win the title.  That should take nothing away from this year.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

To me Leicester are simply proof that "can't/won't/never" is unjustified. The gap between us and the Twin Cheeks is smaller than that between Leicester and the big clubs they're beating.

Leicester may very well be relegated in a few years, even if they win the title. That should take nothing away from this year.

Precisely. Every person employed at Hearts must believe with every fibre of themselves that we could 'do a Leicester'.

Archived