Next Season

stevie1874

You really just go with whatever you want ignoring any logic or fact in all of your posts eh? :lol:

I'm not talking about whether Rangers got through a sudden death tie on penalties.

I am talking about whether Rangers beat Celtic over open play.

You'd think from this place that they'd put 5 past them today. They didn't. They drew with them.

Like we did twice.

Yet wallopers have soiled their pants about next season.

And Hearts fans say Robbie's the shitebag... I'd say any Hearts fan curling up under their duvet today after that game fits that description pretty well IMO

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately Rangers and Celtic will take first and second next season - probably by a distance. Today's result is a wake up call for Celtic and an incentive for Rangers. I predict an arms race over the summer where both will spend vast sums in order to compete and in doing so they will, once again, leave the rest behind. Sadly we will be back to where we were pre Rangers demise. It's all a bit predictable but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Did you read my post?

I'm talking about filling those precise holes. And I believe we will.

Whatever you think about Robbie with say 3 better quality players in that team our away results will improve.

Match-winners.

Every team that wins the league needs match-winners.

Walker is one. We need another two. One a striker and an attacking midfielder.

And that will do it. That will be enough to win the league ? Adding two players will transform our away record ? It will negate the fact that we have an inexperienced manager ? It it will negate the fact that we have a psyche which is not the strongest and we fear teams that our competitors will sweep aside.

There are other things. We don't work hard enough. We don't start well enough. We defend too deep on narrow leads. We don't have enough leadership or passion on the park. We don't have the money to fill the squad out with quality to cover for injuries and suspensions.

I'm not talking about whether Rangers got through a sudden death tie on penalties.

You'd think from this place that they'd put 5 past them today. They didn't. They drew with them.

Like we did twice.

And Hearts fans say Robbie's the shitebag... I'd say any Hearts fan curling up under their duvet today after that game fits that description pretty well IMO

No one is soiling their pants or hiding under duvets. That's not even a reasonable argument, it's just an insult. If thats what you have as a back up, you've lost the arguement.

No one is soiling their pants or hiding under duvets. That's not even a reasonable argument, it's just an insult. If thats what you have as a back up, you've lost the arguement.

It's not an argument.

It's an observation.

:)

It's not an argument.

It's an observation.

:)

It's an insult to those with a different opinion backed up by a reasonable arguement is what it is. Its what you do when you are challenged.

And that will do it. That will be enough to win the league ? Adding two players will transform our away record ? It will negate the fact that we have an inexperienced manager ? It it will negate the fact that we have a psyche which is not the strongest and we fear teams that our competitors will sweep aside.

There are other things. We don't work hard enough. We don't start well enough. We defend too deep on narrow leads. We don't have enough leadership or passion on the park. We don't have the money to fill the squad out with quality to cover for injuries and suspensions.

Look I know you can read, and that you are desperate to prove that we are shite, but I have said regularly that we need 4 or 5 improvements to the team.

But you know, of course, that not every player is a match-winner. And that is what I was talking about.

You are right about mentality but the type of player we need to bring in will need to have that element of mentality.

For example it already looks like Kitchen has it. Not everyone's favourite but I think Cowie has it. Walker does. Ozturk I think does. Paterson if he keeps the heid can do.

Anyway you are desperate to talk us down so I'll leave your hopelessness to yourself.

It's an insult to those with a different opinion backed up by a reasonable arguement is what it is. Its what you do when you are challenged.

It's not a reasonable argument to look at today's game and shite it from Rangers.

Not when they did no more than we did twice this season.

Comprendez?

Watt-Zeefuik

It's not a reasonable argument to look at today's game and shite it from Rangers.

Comprendez?

It's worth noting that the way Rangers play in their first OF match with a real manager since liquidation is not how Rangers will play 38 fixtures in the top tier.  The league is won not just in OF matches.

Had we any games against Rangers this year, even after today's game, I would not fear our chances against them.

Rangers were playing with everything to gain and Celtic were playing with a lame duck manager and no glory in winning and only shame in losing.  Rangers squeezing out a win in pens does not somehow herald their superiority.

And as for our inexperienced manager, when he started, he had no experience and won the championship at a trot. At the start of this season he had no top tier experience and secured a Euro slot before the split.  Next season he'll have two years of experience, one in the top flight.  He'll be considerably less inexperienced than he was before.  An obvious point, I know, but it seems to have been missed.

Look I know you can read, and that you are desperate to prove that we are shite, but I have said regularly that we need 4 or 5 improvements to the team.

But you know, of course, that not every player is a match-winner. And that is what I was talking about.

You are right about mentality but the type of player we need to bring in will need to have that element of mentality.

For example it already looks like Kitchen has it. Not everyone's favourite but I think Cowie has it. Walker does. Ozturk I think does. Paterson if he keeps the heid can do.

Anyway you are desperate to talk us down so I'll leave your hopelessness to yourself.

Waste of time responding to you really isn't it. You believe we'll win the league. I believe we won't. I've explained why. If all those reasons are addressed then im right there with you on the happy train and your driving. I don't think we're shite and I'm not talking us down. I'm giving a realistic overview of, in my opinion, where we are short? I'm not desperate to be right, I just am.

However it seems you've decided we are done here so back to your wee bubble.

Comprendez?

Rangers have won the championship in a similar canter to what we did last season. They have beaten a fair few premiership teams this season and they've beaten Celtic today no matter how you spin it (can't remember the last time we did that) further to the reasonably good nick they are in they have at least twice the resources to spend that we do and probably way more than twice.

What is comprendez all about huh ? It makes you look like an erse mate. Just dinnae.

FenderJaguar7

They are the 'biggest' clubs with the most money, so not unexpected for them to be seen as favourites. But it makes beating them even better, and the shock waves we'd send if we finished 1st... I'm really quite excited for next season if we improve even more in the summer.

I'm praying we can come up with a decent striker from somewhere. We also need to start picking up points away from home to stand any realistic chance.

Why are people pretending that folk are judging Rangers on today's game? :lol: i said when the draw was made Rangers would likely win the tie, they don't fear teams, especially Celtic, they were always going to make them look as shite as they are, they'll also take points off them next season, they're going to be big players next season whether folk are willing to accept it or not, we're going to have to be ruthless next season to finish in the top 2, dropping daft points at the likes of Killie, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Inverness just won't do.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Would be amazing to really challenge. Unfortunately our head coach will instil in the players that third is the target.

LarrysRightFoot

Over 90 mins and 120 mins they drew with Celtic - exactly the same results that chunks of JKB slated Neilson for....

Now Rangers draw with Celtic and they are to be feared.

You get the point surely?

If you read my post I said Rangers are overrated - I never said we should fear them.

The only thing to fear is both the OF going out and spending a lot of money this summer.

If they don't and we get our signings right we should be able to put up a decent fight next season.

Jambo 4 Ever

Unfortunately Rangers and Celtic will take first and second next season - probably by a distance. Today's result is a wake up call for Celtic and an incentive for Rangers. I predict an arms race over the summer where both will spend vast sums in order to compete and in doing so they will, once again, leave the rest behind. Sadly we will be back to where we were pre Rangers demise. It's all a bit predictable but I'd love to be proved wrong.

If rangers don't win the cup, don't you think that would be better as they wouldn't be in Europe - and be able to attract better players for next season?!

If you read my post I said Rangers are overrated - I never said we should fear them.

The only thing to fear is both the OF going out and spending a lot of money this summer.

If they don't and we get our signings right we should be able to put up a decent fight next season.

Celtic have spent a lot of money - relative to us - under Delia it's about spending it shrewdly. Rangers are skint this may change of course. This kind of thread reminds of the fans shitting it over Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller prior to us whipping them in the Championship last season. All I want us to do next season is to challenge for the title , with a bit of luck who knows.

LarrysRightFoot

Celtic have spent a lot of money - relative to us - under Delia it's about spending it shrewdly. Rangers are skint this may change of course. This kind of thread reminds of the fans shitting it over Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller prior to us whipping them in the Championship last season. All I want us to do next season is to challenge for the title , with a bit of luck who knows.

Where am I saying I am shitting it! You obviously haven't read my posts.

My only concern is the OF going back to the days of throwing money around and buying up their oppositions best players - like what Celtic have done to DUFC!

Where am I saying I am shitting it! You obviously haven't read my posts.

My only concern is the OF going back to the days of throwing money around and buying up their oppositions best players - like what Celtic have done to DUFC!

Stay calm I said the this thread in general was full of fearties , if you're not one then fine.

We are building a team with exciting prospects be it next year or season after.  It reminds me of 3 previous times in our history 1984-85-86 when we signed guys like John Colqohoun, Sandy Clark and Craig Levein to add to the youth of Robbo & Mackay.  We thought we were buliding a team capable of winning a cup but came agonisingly close to the league title.  Then 1995-98 when JJ made some great signings, Cameron, McCann, Fulton, Adam, Flogel, Hamilton, Weir, Salvatori etc  That team got its just rewards with the 98 SC and a good league campaign.  Then 2005\6 with the Burley factor.  Everyone knows we would have won the double if Romanov had been sane.  I feel we are on the verge of something similar. 

portobellojambo1

Do we have a chance of winning the league next season, of course, will we take that chance, only time will tell. There again, I believe we had a chance to win the league this season ending, and failed to take it. Not down to having a lack of players, but all down to the way we approached certain games. When you look at the points we threw away, we could have won the league with points to spare. Any team that raises questions about fixtures/quality of opposition players against the likes of Dundee, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Hamilton is not going to win the league whatever season it is. It wasn't the games against the sides nearest to us, Celtic and Aberdeen, that has us in 3rd place, but fixtures against sides where the instructions to the players should have been simple, "go out and destroy them and move on". Personally I think we had the players to win the league this season but didn't use them correctly on occasions.

I do think Celtic will have a new manager next season, and the very fact Rangers are back in the top flight means they (Celtic) will spend money. Like to see us win the league but I suspect we will be looking at 3rd position again.

the big show

Do we have a chance of winning the league next season, of course, will we take that chance, only time will tell. There again, I believe we had a chance to win the league this season ending, and failed to take it. Not down to having a lack of players, but all down to the way we approached certain games. When you look at the points we threw away, we could have won the league with points to spare. Any team that raises questions about fixtures/quality of opposition players against the likes of Dundee, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, Hamilton is not going to win the league whatever season it is. It wasn't the games against the sides nearest to us, Celtic and Aberdeen, that has us in 3rd place, but fixtures against sides where the instructions to the players should have been simple, "go out and destroy them and move on". Personally I think we had the players to win the league this season but didn't use them correctly on occasions.

I do think Celtic will have a new manager next season, and the very fact Rangers are back in the top flight means they (Celtic) will spend money. Like to see us win the league but I suspect we will be looking at 3rd position again.

Well said . best post on here in a long time .

KineticBeat

I'm hoping next year will be a 4-horse race between us, Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen. (or a one horse race with us running anyway with it in my wildest dreams).

Celtic will change manager (though depending on who they go for this may not be an improvement) and will chuck money at some foreign mercs over the summer. Rangers will spend and improve. Hearts and Aberdeen will try to keep their best performers and improve on the solid base they have from this season. 

It all depends on how much Rangers improve and whether or not the result at the weekend gives them a false sense of security in their current squad. Rangers played to their peak on Sunday whilst Celtic were gash and on another day Roberts would have scored that open goal etc and it'd have been a different story. 

If we keep our talent and add to it with the success in the transfer market that we've had over the past 2 seasons then I see no reason why we cannot challenge for the title. The obvious place we need to improve on from this season is in our away performances and consistency in overall team performance as well. 

Bazzas right boot

Like we did twice.

I agree, if anything it shows how far celtic have fallen and that they ate catchable. As opposed to rangers becoming 1970's Brazil.

However, rangers mindset was 100% spot on they took celtic on, showed brown up to be slow and clumswy, imposed their game on celtic.

Tactically and mentally we could learn from them, ignore the fear factor and you can match them.

Hopefully we realise this next season.

August Landmesser

However, rangers mindset was 100% spot on they took celtic on, showed brown up to be slow and clumswy, imposed their game on celtic.

On the match thread, I said that no other team in Scotland can impose their game on Celtic as physically as Sevco did, as the refs wouldn't allow it. OF games are reffed differently as the ref is terrified to be accused of being in favour of one cheek or the other. We imposed our game on Celtic at Parkhead the other day, and we got a man sent off for two nothing challenges whereas Broonaldo should've had a straight red after 6 minutes.

However, if there was to be another referees' strike, for an entire season, I'd be much more confident of our chances!

We can win this league with the current squad and 2 new forwards. Left back would be nice.

The biggest challenge for us is changing the mentality away from home, do that and anything is possible.

I also believe more consistent team line ups would also help us go on more winning runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With changes likely at Celtic, I'll be surprised if we finish within 20 points of them next season.

Hope I'm wrong.

We can win this league with the current squad and 2 new forwards. Left back would be nice.

The biggest challenge for us is changing the mentality away from home, do that and anything is possible.

I also believe more consistent team line ups would also help us go on more winning runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean going into intimidating cauldron environments like Caledonian Stadium believing that we can maybe sneak a win.....?

With changes likely at Celtic, I'll be surprised if we finish within 20 points of them next season.

Hope I'm wrong.

Spot on. It's back to BAU so let's hope it improves the general standard generates additional revenue.

Watt-Zeefuik

So we are back to a win the league or your sacked mentality then.

Like Romanov never happened...

What?

Watt-Zeefuik

Depending on whom Celtic bring in, and if we can hold onto Walker, we could well go into next season with the best central midfield three in the league.

Particularly if Rogic leaves.

Cruyff Turn

I think we've got to compete for every trophy next season so we need a bigger and better squad. Simple as that.

It's not rocket science. We need to score more goals.

Defensively we are okay but could still improve. Left back has been an obvious area of debate this season.

We need an even stronger midfield especially attacking wise. We simply aren't creating enough chances theough the middle and we certainly aren't putting enough crosses into the box. That needs to change if we want to score more goals. An attacking midfield player and a left sided winger is a must. More pace is needed.

Upfront we need to improve. If Juanma plays like he has done in the last few games then that's an improvement but he needs opportunities and if the service isn't there then he won't score many. We need at least two forwards that's is a given.

All in all the main improvement has to come from the coaching side. The players have to be fiiter, quicker and stronger but the management has to be braver and play more attacking football. Whether that is a high pressing game like Dortmund and we play quick aggressive attacking football where the ball is moved forward quickly. Or, we play a deeper possession game where we look for an opportunity to get in behind but that requires players with great technical ability to keep the ball and have the creative ability to create chances.

Either way we need maybe 6-8 players who are technically, physically and mentally superior to the ones we have if we are to keep up with the jonesys. Football is a squad game but it is our starting XI that needs improving as does our mentality and the belief we can actually go to Ibrox and Parkhead anf win comfortably.

It's a big ask and maybe next season is still too soon but we need to get to cup finals and really put in a proper challenge in the league next year as there is and has been no time like the present to win trophies with a finacially weaker OF.

I think we've got to compete for every trophy next season so we need a bigger and better squad. Simple as that.

It's not rocket science. We need to score more goals.

Defensively we are okay but could still improve. Left back has been an obvious area of debate this season.

We need an even stronger midfield especially attacking wise. We simply aren't creating enough chances theough the middle and we certainly aren't putting enough crosses into the box. That needs to change if we want to score more goals. An attacking midfield player and a left sided winger is a must. More pace is needed.

Upfront we need to improve. If Juanma plays like he has done in the last few games then that's an improvement but he needs opportunities and if the service isn't there then he won't score many. We need at least two forwards that's is a given.

All in all the main improvement has to come from the coaching side. The players have to be fiiter, quicker and stronger but the management has to be braver and play more attacking football. Whether that is a high pressing game like Dortmund and we play quick aggressive attacking football where the ball is moved forward quickly. Or, we play a deeper possession game where we look for an opportunity to get in behind but that requires players with great technical ability to keep the ball and have the creative ability to create chances.

Either way we need maybe 6-8 players who are technically, physically and mentally superior to the ones we have if we are to keep up with the jonesys. Football is a squad game but it is our starting XI that needs improving as does our mentality and the belief we can actually go to Ibrox and Parkhead anf win comfortably.

It's a big ask and maybe next season is still too soon but we need to get to cup finals and really put in a proper challenge in the league next year as there is and has been no time like the present to win trophies with a finacially weaker OF.

This is all very nice but it lacks realism. Have a look at Hearts tangible achievements since inception. It something of a polarisation from the ultra confidence displayed by many on here.

We simply lack the players and the winners mentality to win a title. Celtic will ditch that clown Delia and kick on and the Rangers presence will have mutual benefits for the pair of them.

I hope we can continue to make improvements in the next 12 months and would be very disappointed if we don't.

We've done little in cup competitions since winning Scottish cup in 2012. Hibs cup record in the intervening period exceeds ours, including eliminating us from the Scottish cup twice.

I'm all for optimism but there's really nothing to suggest a significant title challenge is in us next season unless the bar is raised significantly in terms of player recruitment and even then there are significant areas of doubt

It will not matter how many new signings we have. Until our mentality matches rangers and celtic we will never win the League.

Playing for 1-0 wins by defending for the last 20 minutes does not win League titles.

Agree though kind of what Leicester have done

Cruyff Turn

This is all very nice but it lacks realism. Have a look at Hearts tangible achievements since inception. It something of a polarisation from the ultra confidence displayed by many on here.

We simply lack the players and the winners mentality to win a title. Celtic will ditch that clown Delia and kick on and the Rangers presence will have mutual benefits for the pair of them.

I hope we can continue to make improvements in the next 12 months and would be very disappointed if we don't.

We've done little in cup competitions since winning Scottish cup in 2012. Hibs cup record in the intervening period exceeds ours, including eliminating us from the Scottish cup twice.

I'm all for optimism but there's really nothing to suggest a significant title challenge is in us next season unless the bar is raised significantly in terms of player recruitment and even then there are significant areas of doubt

This is all true but Aberdeen have done it. Ross County and Inverness have managed to win a cup.

The fact is, Rangers and Celtic no longer have the money they once did, the financial gap has closed and we can beat them. We already won the league last year despite Rangers having players on 10x what anyone at Hearts are getting. It can be done, Leicester have proven this. It's about finding good players and mainly it comes down to the coaching side of things and how they can get players to play to their maximum ability. It's XI vs XI at the end of the day and if we have more belief and put the ball in the box more than them 9 times out of 10 we'll win. As i said it's really down to Neilson and co because we're already not far off.

At least we'll give it go

Having lived through Dundee United winning the league and Ferguson and McLean challenging the mentality of inferiority I do believe it is possible.

We are at the early stages of building things. But creating the hunger and determination is a start. Bringing young players through is the way. How far are we away from that? But we can give it a go.

A_A wehatethehibs

Robbie Neilson deserves to be manager of the year this season, for me. Warburton would be the other shout but Robbie must take the credit for not only taking us up in style but putting us on an extremely strong platform on which to build for next season.

We are not good enough to win it this season but look at that spine, Alexander, Paterson, ozturk, Rossi, souttar, djoum, cowie, kitchen, Buaben - a strong, powerful, hungry set of players not short on skill, with a great mix of youth and experience.

If we can add 2 or 3 more djoum type signings on the wing and up front we could be contenders but for every djoum there is an el hass so we have to take care to get the right players in to keep the balance. As it stands we are 2 15 goal players away from Celtic or one 30 goal player, finding guys like that is easier said than done. I hope that Jamie walker can be one of those players, really on the cusp of being a truly great player for us.

MacDonald Jardine

At least we'll give it go

Having lived through Dundee United winning the league and Ferguson and McLean challenging the mentality of inferiority I do believe it is possible.

We are at the early stages of building things. But creating the hunger and determination is a start. Bringing young players through is the way. How far are we away from that? But we can give it a go.

The problem is Neilson often plays into that mediocrity by over thinking and worrying about other teams.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A few weeks ago Rangers were losing 2 goal leads away to Falkirk and a week or so past threw away a lead to draw with Raith which meant they couldn't see out the league title victory.

Yesterday they were right up for the game and caught Celtic cold in the first half. However if the boy from City didn't miss a sitter it's a different game.

Then it was a wonder strike that gave them a lead, against couldn't hold on to it.

A few weeks ago at Celtic Park we played a similar game, the difference was Celtic were clinical in the few chances we game them, yesterday they weren't.

Rangers looked a side who can get themselves up for a big game, can they do it over a season with that current team, I very much doubt it.

Next season I expect teams to take points of each other but don't see anything to be fearful of.

For every ?1 we spend celtic will spend ?20, and sevco will spend ?50..............

Hope we spend a million. The Rangers won't see out the season if you are correct.

Hope I'm wrong.

I suspect this will be the case as well. Hopefully not. If Celtic don't spend big then we have a chance. We need to remember that Rangers don't/didn't expect to be challenging Celtic next season. Their fans might think they will but the money men don't. They don't have much money. Remember their first two signings on pre-contracts are from Accrington Stanley. I doubt if anyone thinks signing players from that level will enable them to compete over a season with Celtic. Or even with us. We are a much better team now than we were a year ago. We will be better still come August.

Rocky jamboa

The 3-1 game v celtic at parkhead summed it up for me. We had 14 shots to their 13, had more possession than them, and matched them for most of the game but they had that extra bit quality that won it in the end.

We need a couple of players who can win a game from nowhere, such as a Griffiths or, closer to home, another Skacel. I would say a good striker and creative midfielder, who can chip in with regular goals, would be the difference between where we are now and the next step up.

My concern is before the W/E Celtic didn't see any threat from Rangers and I think Rangers would be happy with second,now I think Celtic will bring in a new manager and give him a budget to blow away Rangers and Rangers expectations will be through the roof and again the muppets outspend the rest to beat each other.

Time will tell.

3rd may prove to be the best we can do but I get the inpression that CL, RN and the board are fiercely ambitious.  If we bring in good players and don't suffer badly from long term injuries or too many suspensions, I honestly believe we will be up there challenging.

I'm also hoping against hope that we can rid ourselves of our dismal record in the League Cup by winning it again at last.  I was there last time we won it and I was 13.  I'm 66 now.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Consensus seems to be we've had some good players for almost two seasons now. Most are also agreed Celtic and Rangers have been more vulnerable recently than they have been in decades but will both strengthen now that they're together again. With all of this in mind, our current coach is winless in six verses Celtic, winless in the last two versus Rangers, not to mention winless in five in the high-pressure environment of a derby. Serious question, what are people seeing to think either that won't matter or that it will change drastically enough for us to challenge? It doesn't add up to me.

As well as smart recruitment of three or four high quality players it really is all about attitude. Look at yesterday's Huns side and compare them, player for player with ours. Would you rather have Wilson or Ozturk, Paterson or Tavernier, Halliday or Kitchen, Djoum or Holt, McKay or Walker? Trying to look at things objectively I'd say that for the most part our players are equally or more talented. They and our management team need to have the belief, confidence and desire to succeed. I think it will be a four-way battle next season. A lot of people seem to have overlooked Aberdeen, but they'll be as strong and will be challenging. For one thing, I wouldn't put money on yesterday's Huns side going to Pittodrie and coming away with the points.

As well as smart recruitment of three or four high quality players it really is all about attitude. Look at yesterday's Huns side and compare them, player for player with ours. Would you rather have Wilson or Ozturk, Paterson or Tavernier, Halliday or Kitchen, Djoum or Holt, McKay or Walker? Trying to look at things objectively I'd say that for the most part our players are equally or more talented. They and our management team need to have the belief, confidence and desire to succeed. I think it will be a four-way battle next season. A lot of people seem to have overlooked Aberdeen, but they'll be as strong and will be challenging. For one thing, I wouldn't put money on yesterday's Huns side going to Pittodrie and coming away with the points.

Trouble is I can't see that Rangers team resembling next season's. I think both OF clubs will spend big - a hell of a lot more than the rest put together.

Archived