New Exhaust?

Cigaro

Rawrrrrrrr
Anyone now a good place to get a cheap exhaust?

Its for a mk1 Punto.

Your prob best giving Kwik fit and national autocentre a call and asking if you want new

As they tend to stock pile exhausts they tend to be cheaper and quicker than your local mechanic - once they order in etc.

If you want it on the cheap , scrapyard

Anyone now a good place to get a cheap exhaust?

Its for a mk1 Punto.

Why not just stick an unsilenced baked bean tin on, like all the other Punto drivers seem to do? :mad:

chester copperpot

Jeez C, not having much luck with your cars at the mo.

I'd steer well clear of Kwik Fit, as they will replace the whole box, regardless of the fault. It depends on where the damage to the exhaust is, but lets just say its the full exhaust.

I tend to find budget are a good bit cheaper than Kwik Fit, and they wont BS you if you're only needing to replace part of the exhaust.

If its just a small hole, a wee mechanic may be able to patch it up for you, but it will only last short term.

Rawrrrrrrr

I'd steer well clear of Kwik Fit, as they will replace the whole box, regardless of the fault. It depends on where the damage to the exhaust is, but lets just say its the full exhaust.

I tend to find budget are a good bit cheaper than Kwik Fit, and they wont BS you if you're only needing to replace part of the exhaust.

If its just a small hole, a wee mechanic may be able to patch it up for you, but it will only last short term.

Thats a bit harsh

It depends on the kwik fit

I took my old car in about 18 months ago as the exhaust was making a racket, guy fixed it free as it just needed tightened or something - i didnt really listen after i heard fixed free.

I have heard quite a few horror stories, but any of the times I have used them they have been a lot cheaper than the other centres, and the local mechanic

Try Farmer Autocare and National. I generally find both of them are cheaper. The guys in Farmer on St John's Road are pretty good and won't bovinae jobby you.

The Comedian
I'll second the Kwkfit option I have always found them reasonable and, importantly, honest.

I worked for them when I got out of school. Put it this way the managers are under pressure to sell sell sell. If someone walked in asking for directions they'd try to sell him/her a tyre.

Phone around for the best price, play garages off on each other. Depending on the problem it might just need a weld, new gasket or a sleeve etc. Might not be a expensive repair providing the garage is honest. If I went anywhere it would be Rapid Fit.

I know. In all fairness, bar a few bumps this car is in pretty mint condition. And the boy who sold it to me put it through its MOT and told me the exhaust would need done soon. Nice wee car though.

I think, by the looks of it, its been repaired before. Its on the bottom of the box.

And Therapist, I'd rather have it as quiet as I can. Why draw so much attention to a 1.2 by making it sound like a Ferrari? Its still a 1.2:laugh:

i don't want to alarm you but i used to have a fiat brava and i got totally stung for the exhaust because it does not break down into parts and you have to buy the whole thing. i am pretty sure punto are the same

Kwick Fit, they get a bad rap but for exhausts it's the place to go.

They replaced the centre section on my 106 for 88 quid, ten less than anywhere else I tried and they did it within the day.

marshallschunkychicken

Puntos, like all Fiats I think, have single part exhausts, as stated above.

If your exhaust goes, the whole thing has to be replaced. It's a fecking nightmare.

Puntos, like all Fiats I think, have single part exhausts, as stated above.

If your exhaust goes, the whole thing has to be replaced. It's a fecking nightmare.

Fan bloody tastic.

How much we looking at roughly from experience?

chester copperpot
Fan bloody tastic.

You got any mates who are mechanics. You may best be going down a scrappy's and getting one off a scrapped car.

marshallschunkychicken
Fan bloody tastic.

Can't be 100% sure as my old car was a Y reg Mk2, but I think when I get it done at Kwik-Fit about four years ago it was about ?130. Could be wrong though.

Got a Grande Punto Sport now, and am not looking forward to the exhaust going on that, cause it took a good few hours and a small wedge of cash to replace the old one.

I've got one or two guys who may be able to do it. Big MAY though!:D

Scrappies looks a good shout as I really dont have the cash for a ?100+ job right now.

Just out of interest, whats the power loss, if any caused by this?

chester copperpot

Scrappies looks a good shout as I really dont have the cash for a ?100+ job right now.

I dont think you'd need to be concerned with a 1.2 Punto mate :laugh:

Sorry I.

marshallschunkychicken

Negligable I'd say.

It'll sound ridiculous though.

I dont think you'd need to be concerned with a 1.2 Punto mate :laugh:

Sorry I.

TBH I was curious as its had it since I got it, and compared to the Corsa its got a bit of kick to it.:D Wondered if that was it.:P

Negligable I'd say.

It'll sound ridiculous though.

Aye its fairly loud and blowy.:laugh: Although the loud doesnt seem to be the exhaust entirely.

marshallschunkychicken
TBH I was curious as its had it since I got it, and compared to the Corsa its got a bit of kick to it.:D Wondered if that was it.:P

Aye its fairly loud and blowy.:laugh: Although the loud doesnt seem to be the exhaust entirely.

Puntos have generally had a bit more 'kick' than Corsas anyway.

Neither are anything more than runarounds, but the corsa is entirely nonexistant in third gear.

Puntos have generally had a bit more 'kick' than Corsas anyway.

Neither are anything more than runarounds, but the corsa is entirely nonexistant in third gear.

Its a nice change, for not much difference insurance wise.:D

did you get it sorted then

Not yet.

Needing to wait until Friday til I get paid.

Haven't forgotten, Maroonaldinho.:biggrin:

Ray Winstone

Puntos are a fecking nightmare for exhausts.

Used to have one and had to replace the exhaust twice in 3 years due to getting holes.

Absolute nightmare. Has your battery gone yet - that will be next!

Get rid of the Punto!

Puntos are a fecking nightmare for exhausts.

Used to have one and had to replace the exhaust twice in 3 years due to getting holes.

Absolute nightmare. Has your battery gone yet - that will be next!

Get rid of the Punto!

Only just bought it.

:laugh:

Ray Winstone
Only just bought it.

:laugh:

What a mare mate - I would have advised against it.

Not that they are bad cars when they are running nicely - very nice little motors, its just once things start to go wrong with them they really start to go wrong.

Brake Pads, Exhausts, Batterys, Suspension bushes etc etc.

All start to mount up.

How old is it?

Ray Winstone
Buy a brand new car, nothing ever goes wrong :)

At least then you have a warranty. ;)

Ray Winstone
I better not need the warranty :)

Depends on what kind of car it is.

What you got?

Rawrrrrrrr
Depends on what kind of car it is.

What you got?

Its a toyota , im not saying what kind :cool:

What a mare mate - I would have advised against it.

Not that they are bad cars when they are running nicely - very nice little motors, its just once things start to go wrong with them they really start to go wrong.

Brake Pads, Exhausts, Batterys, Suspension bushes etc etc.

All start to mount up.

How old is it?

Its a P reg, but wth only 67k on it.

I dont have the cash to be picky though, and it was a very decent deal. Passed its MOT last week.

If I get a year or so from it then I'll be more than happy.

Good idea Prancer. Give me a wee loan of ?7k. ;)

Ray Winstone
Its a toyota , im not saying what kind :cool:

I reakon its an Auris.

Ray Winstone
Its a P reg, but wth only 67k on it.

I dont have the cash to be picky though, and it was a very decent deal. Passed its MOT last week.

If I get a year or so from it then I'll be more than happy.

Good idea Prancer. Give me a wee loan of ?7k. ;)

Thats all good then - if its passed its MOT you will easy get a year out of it! No worries about that.

Just look after her and give her a decent name.

Thats all good then - if its passed its MOT you will easy get a year out of it! No worries about that.

Just look after her and give her a decent name.

I am. Have to. Cant afford a car every few months.

Its called "The Punto". :biggrin:

Ray Winstone
toyota_yaris.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nightmare - how does it run?

Almost bought a Corolla before I bought the Golf but I went for the badge to be honest.

Ray Winstone
How much was it?

I reakon around 6 - 7k depending on spec.

Maybe 5k if it was an ex demo.

Rawrrrrrrr
Nightmare - how does it run?

Almost bought a Corolla before I bought the Golf but I went for the badge to be honest.

Tbh thats what I thought before I got it, only got it as was a very good deal but absolutly love the thing now, its brillant to drive and is actually quite nippy for a 1.0, cheap as hell to run

As for the cost, its on finance but I think if I keep it after the bucket payment it works out at just under 8k, doubt I will though, fancy upgrading it to the 2.0 sports one :P

Ray Winstone
Tbh thats what I thought before I got it, only got it as was a very good deal but absolutly love the thing now, its brillant to drive and is actually quite nippy for a 1.0, cheap as hell to run

As for the cost, its on finance but I think if I keep it after the bucket payment it works out at just under 8k, doubt I will though, fancy upgrading it to the 2.0 sports one :P

Then fork out for the Insurance. Always best with the category 2-4 cars.

I am on a 1.6s and struggling. Couldnt even go near the 1.9 TDI which is what I wanted due to the premiums.

Rawrrrrrrr
Then fork out for the Insurance. Always best with the category 2-4 cars.

I am on a 1.6s and struggling. Couldnt even go near the 1.9 TDI which is what I wanted due to the premiums.

Tbh the 1.0 does the trick

I heard a rumour they can do 110 without any hassle :rolleyes:

Ray Winstone
Tbh the 1.0 does the trick

I heard a rumour they can do 110 without any hassle :rolleyes:

Perhaps if u get a straight bit of road going with a slight downhill gradient it would get up there.

Mine is meant to be 120max but had it at about 130 on the way back from Aberdeen absolutely *****t!ng myself!

Mine cost 3.4% of yours.:laugh:

Surely for ?8k you could have gone a bit more straight?

Rawrrrrrrr
Mine cost 3.4% of yours.:laugh:

Surely for ?8k you could have gone a bit more straight?

Its only about 2% of the car though ;)

And probably but its on a 0% finance deal that I am paying less than ?150 a month for ( including maintainance/servicing etc) and sending it back after 2 years

Tbh I only got the car because it was such a good deal, but I honestly have to say I dont regret it at all, its a great wee car and I wouldnt hesitate to get another one, its actually a really high quality car with a really good spec for pretty much peanuts

Archived