Thinking of splashing out ?2500 on a Sony Bravia Hdtv - save your cash

vegas-voss

vegas-voss

The future is 3D HDTV.

Was going to buy a new 50inch HDTV for the living room next year and put my Samsung HDTV in the bedroom but i think i'll save my cash and wait for of these.

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/3-d_dlp_hdtv.aspx

Also for anyone that has a PS3 there is going to be an update for it for when these tv's become mass market that will allow you to watch 3D Blu Ray films.

I've got a 50" Pioneer plasma in the lounge. Had it for about 3 years now. Delighted with it - no surprise they're so highly rated.

I also have two smaller Panasonic Viera LCDs in other rooms and they're good performers too, but the Pioneer is ace.

Pioneer is top of the game.

However having read Brashy's link, that stuff looks insane.....in a good way

Utter nonsense. It's nothing more than a gimmick. Who in their right mind is going to sit in their house wearing a pair of 3-D bins? :eek:

It's like those all in one music centres that had loads of flashing lights, capacity for 6 CDs but utterly rubbish sound.

Utter nonsense. It's nothing more than a gimmick. Who in their right mind is going to sit in their house wearing a pair of 3-D bins? :eek:

It's like those all in one music centres that had loads of flashing lights, capacity for 6 CDs but utterly rubbish sound.

True, but when the idiot friend buys one (we all have them) then you can enjoy the gimmick while it lasts.

True, but when the idiot friend buys one (we all have them) then you can enjoy the gimmick while it lasts.

That is an excellent point that I feel I cannot challenge. ;)

vegas-voss

We'll see 3D is the future.Every single film made by the huge studios and made by directors like Spielberg and Jackson are now being filmed in 3D.Of course not all cinemas can play them in 3D only Imax ones can.But imagine having an IMAX in your living room because that's what it is going to be like.

We'll see 3D is the future.Every single film made by the huge studios and made by directors like Spielberg and Jackson are now being filmed in 3D.Of course not all cinemas can play them in 3D only Imax ones can.But imagine having an IMAX in your living room because that's what it is going to be like.

Next you'll be suggesting that smell-o-vision is the way forward. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, IMAX and 3-D are different things.

maybe its just me but i think 3d is pish.

vegas-voss
Next you'll be suggesting that smell-o-vision is the way forward. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, IMAX and 3-D are different things.

Well whatever im one of the idiots so i'll get one.

The future is 3D HDTV.

Was going to buy a new 50inch HDTV for the living room next year and put my Samsung HDTV in the bedroom but i think i'll save my cash and wait for of these.

Also for anyone that has a PS3 there is going to be an update for it for when these tv's become mass market that will allow you to watch 3D Blu Ray films.

3DTV was trailed in Germany during the 2006 World Cup.

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=152586

Also Sony's aren't worth anywhere near the pricetag, so get a pioneer

Care to explain why Sony's aren't worth anywhere near the pricetag/s?

Whilst I agree the Kuro engine is better than Sony's Bravia engine, Bravia's along with Vera's are considered to be the best out there, so I fail to see why you've slated Sony TV's without giving a proper explanation. If it's solely down to price, then it could be argued that all TV's are initially overpriced, not just Sony's. It's a matter of just getting the price down in-shop. If it's about performance, then yes they do have their faults i.e. poor sound, but Panasonics and Pioneers have certain issues too. Panasonic TV's are highly prone to back lighting leakage, thus giving a somewhat greyish picture.

I've never understood why someone is happy to go into the likes of Comet et al and pay the full whack when it's a)cheaper on the net and B) it's easy to get at least ?150 of the face value of any given TV in-shop.

An easy way to save ?150 is to take out an extended guarantee, which usually costs around ?150, get that knocked off the TV price, then simply cancel the extended guarantee within 30 days. As those guarantees are provided by 3rd parties and not the shop itself, the shops can't/won't ask you to pay back what you saved on the TV.

I do that with every appliance that i buy.

North Berwick Jambo

You might not need to waste all that dosh on a 3-D TV, check this out! ;)

That is quality!!! The boy clearly has too much time on his hands. But if they basically have the technology now the wii could be so much better than it is. Like when he was using the secong wii remote.

North Berwick Jambo
That is quality!!! The boy clearly has too much time on his hands. But if they basically have the technology now the wii could be so much better than it is. Like when he was using the secong wii remote.

I must admit i was stunned when i first saw this last year, just one student working from home & he manages to come up with that! ;)

jamboinglasgow
I must admit i was stunned when i first saw this last year, just one student working from home & he manages to come up with that! ;)

yeah makes you wonder what else is possible if they had a group of talented people working on projects like this.

vegas-voss

That was brilliant

vegas-voss

Maybe this is why the 360 are now developing there version of the wii mote.

North Berwick Jambo
That was brilliant

A friend at work actually downloaded the program after i sent him a link to the video , connected his Wii to his laptop & had this running in his lounge, it works a treat...

maltese jambo
The future is 3D HDTV.

is there even any point in getting a big LCD anyway? at that size the pixels sent by the set top box will look like huge square

boxes anyway.

i had a 32" LCD but sent it back and brought my 28" CRT back into service...better picture.

is there any need to get a 50"?! people accross the road from me have one in their front room and i can actually sit in my garden and watch their tv accross the street!

Depends on what you intend to use the tv for. LCD's are great for gaming whilst plasmas are better for films etc. Anything over a 32" should always be a plasma as LCD's tend to struggle at 32" and over.

it also depends on what manufacturer made the LCD as a lot of the lower end ones tend to suffer a great deal of judder.

CRT's do have a sharper picture, however, they're restricted to how large they can go. They're also alot more cumbersome and hog a lot of space.

vegas-voss
is there even any point in getting a big LCD anyway? at that size the pixels sent by the set top box will look like huge square

boxes anyway.

i had a 32" LCD but sent it back and brought my 28" CRT back into service...better picture.

is there any need to get a 50"?! people accross the road from me have one in their front room and i can actually sit in my garden and watch their tv accross the street!

Thats not a LCD though it is DLP

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/why_dlp_hdtvs.aspx

The main problem people have with large LCD's is sitting too close to them. If your living room is only 12' square then you don't need a 40" television. There are formulas out there for viewing distances etc.

is there any need to get a 50"?!

Depends on the size of room. The room I use as the lounge was used as a snooker (full size table) and games room by the previous owner of the house. Anything smaller than a 50" display just wouldn't be big enough.

Care to explain why Sony's aren't worth anywhere near the pricetag/s?

Whilst I agree the Kuro engine is better than Sony's Bravia engine, Bravia's along with Vera's are considered to be the best out there, so I fail to see why you've slated Sony TV's without giving a proper explanation. If it's solely down to price, then it could be argued that all TV's are initially overpriced, not just Sony's. It's a matter of just getting the price down in-shop. If it's about performance, then yes they do have their faults i.e. poor sound, but Panasonics and Pioneers have certain issues too. Panasonic TV's are highly prone to back lighting leakage, thus giving a somewhat greyish picture.

I've never understood why someone is happy to go into the likes of Comet et al and pay the full whack when it's a)cheaper on the net and B) it's easy to get at least ?150 of the face value of any given TV in-shop.

An easy way to save ?150 is to take out an extended guarantee, which usually costs around ?150, get that knocked off the TV price, then simply cancel the extended guarantee within 30 days. As those guarantees are provided by 3rd parties and not the shop itself, the shops can't/won't ask you to pay back what you saved on the TV.

I do that with every appliance that i buy.

They aren't worth there price tag because they aren't as good as other Tvs in the price range, see my example of Pioneer. And as you say, if it's down to price, they are not that well priced, if its down to performance they have poor sound and compared to others poor picture, and again like you say the Kuro engine is better than Bravia.

I's say you did a pretty good job yourself as to why other Tvs are better and better priced, therefore not making Sony worth there pricetag.

That's your opinion, but whether a TV is deemed better is really down to personal preference. Many people consider Sony to be better, whilst you prefer Pioneer.

I generally think Pioneers and Panasonics are better for plasmas whilst Sony make the best LCD's. Lets be honest, if you're going to splash out ?2500 on a tv, then you're more than likely to buy a sound system sooner or later, so the actual sound that comes from the tv is going to be a non issue.

Archived