Windows Vista Dying - Microsoft Windows 10 Query

Jambo Hud316

Jambo Hud316

Got windows vista on my laptop and always used google chrome but no longer getting security updates on vista for chrome and after trying to use firefox over past few weeks have thrown the towel in with it (too many problems) and want to return to google chrome.

Initially was going to buy a new laptop (?300 region) but after speaking to pc world and they have confirmed my laptop is compatible with Microsoft windows 10 they have sent me a link to a download (?89.99)

1 - I'm not a massive fan on microsoft products on the phones etc but if I can get google chrome through it and it gets my laptop working as it previously did I am prepared to pay it rather than extra ?200 on a new laptop.

2 - Is ?89.99 expensive for this, I know I can probably get it cheaper but with going to PC World I see it as having a fallback if anything goes wrong

Finally, as I do not have previous Microsoft Windows products to compare too, what is peoples opinions on version 10?

Tommy Brown

I recently built my laddie a PC.

I downloaded Windows 7 from Microsoft and paid ?10 for a licence keyfrom another site.

Its a much better install and now upgraded to windows 10.

Edit

http://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/

I think I downloaded from iptorrents. You need the key first to get the download from Microsoft.

Do it this way and you control what is loaded on your laptop.

I downloaded Windows 7 from Microsoft and paid ?10 for a licence keyfrom another site.

I use Windows 7 at work in Web Application development. My new PC has Windows 10 and I'm happy with it.

Windows 7 is going to hit end-of-life status at Microsoft soon as well. It wasn't released too long after Vista and there are two newer versions of Windows.

Rudolf's Mate

Edit

http://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/

I think I downloaded from iptorrents. You need the key first to get the download from Microsoft.

Do it this way and you control what is loaded on your laptop.

I got Windows 10 pro for a few quid more from Kinguin. Or it might have been Windows 8 pro which obviously updated to 10 pro. Can't go wrong at that price.

I updated my old vista laptop to windows 8 and it ran much faster (this was before win 10)

It really depends what you use your computer for but ubuntu might be an option (free)

Guest jonesy

I updated my old vista laptop to windows 8 and it ran much faster (this was before win 10)

It really depends what you use your computer for but ubuntu might be an option (free)

I switched to Linux Mint on my old laptop (no hard drive in it, whole thing runs off a USB stick) and for checking email, watching YouTube and iPlayer, and using cloud based apps, it is perfect.

Perhaps not so much if you save lots of files, but otherwise, as a free and easy operating system (I've never written a command, everything has been point and click), can't be beaten!

Jambo Hud316

Thanks for the responses so far, all appreciated and being taken into account

My main uses for laptop are the usual facebook/betting sites/streaming certain ufc/football games on sites ;) you tube downloading podcasts and saving music/pics etc thats about it...so dont think I need an all singing and dancing laptop.

I'll be honest, I'm wary of downloading anything from a site that is not legit especially as most of my gambling is from the laptop..not that I have loads in the accounts but that would likely stop me downloading from a torrent or a site that is potentially not legit.

Rudolf's Mate

Thanks for the responses so far, all appreciated and being taken into account

My main uses for laptop are the usual facebook/betting sites/streaming certain ufc/football games on sites ;) you tube downloading podcasts and saving music/pics etc thats about it...so dont think I need an all singing and dancing laptop.

I'll be honest, I'm wary of downloading anything from a site that is not legit especially as most of my gambling is from the laptop..not that I have loads in the accounts but that would likely stop me downloading from a torrent or a site that is potentially not legit.

I'm the same mate. All I'll say is with Kinguin your purchasing the actual registration code for Windows which you then download the OS from Microsoft and enter the code to register it. Think I paid ?18 for Windows 8 pro which I then upgraded.

Admittedly I wanted the pro version as it had some functionality the standard didn't. For what you're using it for you could just get the standard version mentioned above.

Archived