Anyone for SpHEARTns?

John Gentleman

John Gentleman

Just listening to Talk 107; Gretna dead and buried with Spartans now tipped to take their place in the 3rd.

....and to think the diddy Linlithgow Rose knocked them out of the Scottish (Senior) Cup this past season.

Well, if nothing else, Scottish fitba' gives us all a laugh (providing you don't take it too seriously).

Whae's like us? :)

Dr. Bapswent

Got a mate i work with who goes and watches Spartans.

Prefers it to watching Hearts.

He's a bit of a dick though.

jamboinglasgow

Think if Spartans do get into 3rd division I think hearts should go to them and see if they can bring in a deal to make Spartans our feeder club, think the club if built up could get to second division (would be amazed if they went any higher.) They are ideally suited for Hearts as they are in the same city as Hearts so players can train at riccarton when there is no training at Spartans ground.

funktasticlad
Just listening to Talk 107; Gretna dead and buried with Spartans now tipped to take their place in the 3rd.

....and to think the diddy Linlithgow Rose knocked them out of the Scottish (Senior) Cup this past season.

Well, if nothing else, Scottish fitba' gives us all a laugh (providing you don't take it too seriously).

Whae's like us? :)

How are one of scotlands most successful junior teams diddys? The rose (mainly through the social club mind) turn a profit and are always competing at the bussiness end of most competitions they compete in.

Rawrrrrrrr

I think spartans could be in for a shock

Big headed and acting as if its a done deal, other than there stadium which is irrelevent imo at this level as all the grounds are heaps they are a weak team

I still reckon it will Cove or Preston who get the nod if they meet the criteria

Spartans seem to think there doing everyone a favour

I'd rather there was a merger of a few teams from East Lothian and they entered the 3rd division. I'd probably go along to a few games.

Rawrrrrrrr
Think if Spartans do get into 3rd division I think hearts should go to them and see if they can bring in a deal to make Spartans our feeder club, think the club if built up could get to second division (would be amazed if they went any higher.) They are ideally suited for Hearts as they are in the same city as Hearts so players can train at riccarton when there is no training at Spartans ground.

The 2nd and 3rd division offer nothing to a top players development, waste of our time, has done none of our existing youths any good

If we are loaning out must be 1st or above

I'd rather there was a merger of a few teams from East Lothian and they entered the 3rd division. I'd probably go along to a few games.

About half the football teams in Scotland need to merge. Ain't going to happen though.

The 2nd and 3rd division offer nothing to a top players development, waste of our time, has done none of our existing youths any good

While i'm sure some will inevitably disagree, it didn't too Robbie Neilson any harm did it? Weren't Queen's in the 2nd division back then? He's won a Scottish Cup, played in europe a few times and been capped for his country (albeit only once). While he's not exactly a "top" player in most people's interpretation of the word, he's certainly had a very successful and rewarding career so far.

I'm sure there must have been some others, Cowdenbeath rings a bell for some reason.

About half the football teams in Scotland need to merge. Ain't going to happen though.

Correct. I'd even say that Hearts and Hibs should merge if I wasn't a Hearts fan.

Most of the teams in the Championship and Prem who can attract 30k + attendances are based in one club smallish cities similar in size to Edinburgh. The exception seems to be Newcastle (edit: and Sunderland actually) who punch far above their weight in terms of crowds : population.

John Gentleman
How are one of scotlands most successful junior teams diddys? The rose (mainly through the social club mind) turn a profit and are always competing at the bussiness end of most competitions they compete in.

On reflection, I should perhaps put "diddy" in inverted commas (now, emm, corrected!)

They're my second team; I was born and brought up there!!

Oh, and before migrating, I enjoyed many a guid night in the social club. :wacko:

funktasticlad

The SFL SPL SFA should take this opportunity to scrap the current format and drag scottish football out the dark ages and have a two tier top flight set up. SPL and League 1 with the same play off system as there is in place in England, also scraping the 4000 seats rule or whatever it is would add to the entertainment value playing in these wee old-school terraced grounds. Never happen though and Cove/Preston/Spartans will offer Sweet F A to scottish football.

funktasticlad
On reflection, I should perhaps put "diddy" in inverted commas (now, emm, corrected!)

They're my second team; I was born and brought up there!!

Oh, and before migrating, I enjoyed many a guid night in the social club. :wacko:

Mon the gallant rosey posey!

Spartans new ground to be ready by August :eek:

post-11776-1212425412_thumb.jpg[/img]

I was at Annan on Saturday and they have a good set up...

strachan04

Would love to see Spartans in the SFL, my mate Bobby Mitchell plays upfront for them. Although he has been on the bench most of the time. :P

Would be great to see a friendly arranged against them, just so I could either sing his name or give him abuse lol

John Gentleman
I have no idea what the point of this thread is supposed to be.

....and I've nae idea what the point of your sig. is.

So, we'll call it a draw then? :)

caledoniaman
Got a mate i work with who goes and watches Spartans.

Prefers it to watching Hearts.

He's a bit of a dick though.

Who you calling a dick? :mad:

hartley is god
Would love to see Spartans in the SFL, my mate Bobby Mitchell plays upfront for them. Although he has been on the bench most of the time. :P

Would be great to see a friendly arranged against them, just so I could either sing his name or give him abuse lol

My Hubbys cousin ( Chris Flockhart) has just signed for Spartans. He is a goalie.

I know he is hoping they make it into the SFL too :)

I'm sure there must have been some others, Cowdenbeath rings a bell for some reason.

It sure does for Craig Gordon. & guys like Kenny Miller played at Stenhousemuir. Didnae hold them back 1 bit.

walton1983

Kenny Miller, loaned to Stenhousemuir hasn't done too badly and will be re-joining the blue noses again soon.Neilson and Riordan both had spells at Cowdenbeath and went on to become regulars at Hibs and Hearts.Barry Robson went on loan to Forfar and kick started his career. I am sure there are many more so don't be so quick to dismiss the value of the lower divisions.

caledoniaman

Let's leave Spartans untainted by the lunacy that goes with all things Hearts these days. Thank you. Message ends.

No they don't, many existing league clubs just need to find their level i.e. non-league.

Thig Ar Latha
I think spartans could be in for a shock

Big headed and acting as if its a done deal, other than there stadium which is irrelevent imo at this level as all the grounds are heaps they are a weak team

I still reckon it will Cove or Preston who get the nod if they meet the criteria

Spartans seem to think there doing everyone a favour[/QUOTE]

Cove are non starters for the league IMO. Their stadium is the worst I have seen in the Highland League. Most run down Junior grounds are better than Allan Park. Pity really because they've got a good team.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I hope they go the same way as Gretna.

Any club associated with Gordon fecking Strachan deserves the worst. :mad:

Don't mind if it is either Spartans or Preston (East Lothian) preferably the latter as the are only a few miles along the road.

caledoniaman
I hope they go the same way as Gretna.

Any club associated with Gordon fecking Strachan deserves the worst. :mad:

You are a living, breathing example of what is wrong with Scottish football. :sad:

You are a living, breathing example of what is wrong with Scottish football. :sad:

Care to elaborate?!

Do you know me personally? :cool:

Rawrrrrrrr
Kenny Miller, loaned to Stenhousemuir hasn't done too badly and will be re-joining the blue noses again soon.Neilson and Riordan both had spells at Cowdenbeath and went on to become regulars at Hibs and Hearts.Barry Robson went on loan to Forfar and kick started his career. I am sure there are many more so don't be so quick to dismiss the value of the lower divisions.

Times have changed since then

1)the youth and reserve games are more organised and a higher standard

2) SFL football has got worse

We loaned out Jamie Mac, Mark McCusker, Sean Mackle, Alan Lithgow, Marco Pelosi, David Templeton, John Armstrong, Dennis McLaughlin, David Armstrong and im sure i have probably missed a few and Jamie Mac apart none of them look remotely ready to come back and be a regular in a first team squad

I think tbh its fair to say with the exception of jamie mac its been a complete waste of time for each of the others

Doesnt exactly make me think a 2nd or 3rd div feeder club is worth the money it would cost

I was thinking that this morning

We could be another Livingston

I may suggest it to the treasurer of Preston

I was in Prague with him lol

Rawrrrrrrr
I was thinking that this morning

We could be another Livingston

I may suggest it to the treasurer of Preston

I was in Prague with him lol

I had read somewhere this was there plan anyway as opposed to preston going it alone

Pants Shaton
Correct. I'd even say that Hearts and Hibs should merge if I wasn't a Hearts fan.

Most of the teams in the Championship and Prem who can attract 30k + attendances are based in one club smallish cities similar in size to Edinburgh. The exception seems to be Newcastle (edit: and Sunderland actually) who punch far above their weight in terms of crowds : population.

Except:

Liverpool (2 teams) population: 436,500

Manchester (2 teams) population: 452,000

Edinburgh (450,000) is the 7th largest city in the UK and can support one big team and one wee team.

Peter Olivers Army

I would have thought the name Ferranti Thistle would have been enough to stop people clamouring for a third senior league team in Edinburgh.

It didn't work before, why would it change now?

Most sensible football fans acknowledge that a pyramid system akin to the English set-up would be best. Then those with ambition can rise because of their team, not how many votes they're cast.

Of course, the authorities have their heads up their own butts & care little for the games growth, so it wont happen.

TBH, none of the clubs mentioned grab me with any enthusiasm.

The Old Tolbooth
Spartans new ground to be ready by August :eek:

post-11776-1212425412_thumb.jpg[/img]

I was at Annan on Saturday and they have a good set up...

Annan Athletic have an excellent set up, and are not short of cash either, they don't have a large support though and god only knows how long they would last, probably a lot longer than Gretna though.

Preston Athletic have a decent set up also, and when Spartans ground is finished they will also have a decent set up. Gala Fairydean have a decent ground, however have a lack of supporters with the town mostly into egg chasing.

The highland teams are better supported than the East of Scotland league sides IMO.

The Old Tolbooth
Except:

Edinburgh (450,000) is the 7th largest city in the UK and can support one big team and one wee team.

I think your a bit out with Manchester there Gman, I'm not sure if I'm getting mixed up or not but Greater Manchesters population is around 2,500,000.

gowestjambo
Except:

Really shows how much we have underperformed over the years, with an average gate of 16,000 against 40,000 for similar sized cities, not to mention Man U.

I also wonder how long it will be before we lose a game to Spartans......

I favour Annan Athletic if only because they have a good set up and my son plays for their under 17s however it would be amusing given that there is not a lot of love lost between Annan and Gretna. Davie Irons played and managed Annan for many years so it could be interesting!

caledoniaman
Care to elaborate?!

Do you know me personally? :cool:

Indeed. Wishing another club to go out of business purely because of it's association with Gordon Strachan and thus (in your mind but actually not in reality) by extension Celtic. Classic Scottish Football, petty and narrow minded.

That good enough?

Only team mentioned on the news earlier was Cove Rangers..

Would Spartans be an asset to the league. Got the league cup taken off them last week for fielding a cup tied player in 4 games....

Dr. Bapswent
Indeed. Wishing another club to go out of business purely because of it's association with Gordon Strachan and thus (in your mind but actually not in reality) by extension Celtic. Classic Scottish Football, petty and narrow minded.

That good enough?

You go girlfriend

bitchslap4.gif

That good enough?

Petty and narrow minded? Football rivalry to me.

Would anyone be on here wishing Spartans all the best if Frank Sauzee was linked with Spartans? I doubt it.

Hope this helps. :)

walton1983
Times have changed since then

1)the youth and reserve games are more organised and a higher standard

2) SFL football has got worse

We loaned out Jamie Mac, Mark McCusker, Sean Mackle, Alan Lithgow, Marco Pelosi, David Templeton, John Armstrong, Dennis McLaughlin, David Armstrong and im sure i have probably missed a few and Jamie Mac apart none of them look remotely ready to come back and be a regular in a first team squad

I think tbh its fair to say with the exception of jamie mac its been a complete waste of time for each of the others

Doesnt exactly make me think a 2nd or 3rd div feeder club is worth the money it would cost

We are only one club, it clearly works for others.

Couldn't even tell what colour this mob play in although I am aware of their Scottish Cup exploits.

Therefore the dislike I'm beginning to feel for Spartans can only be irrational.

Do they come accross a little bit smug?

Spartans are p1$h. Played against a few of their players before and they are all just fit. Hearts 19s would take 5 or 6 off them.

I think your a bit out with Manchester there Gman, I'm not sure if I'm getting mixed up or not but Greater Manchesters population is around 2,500,000.

Yeah and Liverpool's population is around half of what it was in the post-war years iirc. Compare that to Edinburgh's population which is about as high as it's ever been. Also, Merseyside being an area of Liverpool-centric high population density in the region of 1.5million people, "Greater Liverpool" without the local authority title, if you like. The Wirral, Bootle, St Helens etc.

I find it a bit of a joke that Edinbvrgh's (city) population includes places like South Queensferry but Liverpool's council seem happy to have clear and accurate boundaries and have no need to make their city appear bigger than it is. Edinburgh joins Broxburn anyone?

Don't know why I'm responding, must be bored and full of caffeine - just find these things weird. Don't even get me started on Fife Council! Most inbred-centric (E and Central Fife) L.A. of them all.

Archived