What Can Our Club Do To Improve Stadium Facilities...?

Section Q

Winston Ingram

Where is the money coming from. ? Stairs slippy as cant afford paint.A bar that's not used most of the year.

Where did you get this from?! They quite clearly can afford paint but choose not to regularly paint the stairs.

Point with a bar is that is makes money after initial outlay to fit it out. Plus costs restricted by not being open all of the time. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst the Hibs fans talk a lot of nonsense about Tynecastle they do have a point about the slippy stairs, some sort of grippy surface should be added, especially to the lower section that gets rained on, but ideally the whole lot.

They have a fixation about Tynecastle.

Jokes above aside, the biggest untapped market is women. People thought the NFL was insane to go after female supporters, with every team wearing pink in October for breast cancer awareness, because it was a "man's game." They're laughing all the way to the bank now with huge numbers of women becoming season ticket holders and buying piles of merchandise.

Improve the toilets, the catering, and ensure the concourses are clean. Do a bit of marketing to women, could easily give a 20% bump in attendance.

Maybe we could get the woman to get cleaning the place get them more involved :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pubs are closing down all over the place yet folk want HMFC to spend money building one that will only be busy for a few hours maybe 20 times a season????

Exactly. Whatever happenened to the notion that we are a "community" club? For a number of pubs and hotels, opening a large supporters bar would probably be "the straw that broke the camel's back".

Has to be the stairs first, the amount of people that fall down them is ridiculous. Ive even had the unfortunate experience of sliding down them, skiiding past the row my seat was in. Bit anti slip paint needed before someone seriously injuries themself.

Pubs are closing down all over the place yet folk want HMFC to spend money building one that will only be busy for a few hours maybe 20 times a season????

Completely missed the point of a supporters social club haven't you? A social club can be open whenever it doesn't just have to be match days. BMC for example. It can also have entertainment at night times, live band or whatever.

A home support fanzine with bar. Teams in Belgium do it and it is very popular and makes for a good atmosphere. Pound a beer albeit it a half, you buy tokens and no waiting for change etc etc. This happens all over Europe pretty sure. UK living in the past am afraid to say

I was at Dortmund a couple of weeks back. They have free wifi in the ground but it is turned off during the game so supporters support the team. I thought that was a good idea.

A home support fanzine with bar. Teams in Belgium do it and it is very popular and makes for a good atmosphere. Pound a beer albeit it a half, you buy tokens and no waiting for change etc etc. This happens all over Europe pretty sure. UK living in the past am afraid to say

Yes also a good idea. Again at Dortmund you could only buy things using a card. You had to put credit on the card. (There were lots of people walking round selling these cards) I assume they make a fortune from day trippers putting money on it then not spending it all. We all had money left on our cards. You could go and get your money back but none of us bothered.

highlandjambo3

I do quite a lot of outdoor catering at highland games and the likes, I do baked spuds, stovies, pulled beef & pork baps and, I did see a cracking set up a while back............was a long trailer set up as a vending machine, it had about 20 or so glass cabinets from ground level up to about 5 foot, in each cabinet was about 10 horizontal rotating drums with about another 20 individual sections with a portion of hot food, chips, pies, burgers, hot dogs etc......anything you like really.  So 20 glass cabinets = 20 people being served (self service) at the same time...........each cabinet holding approximately 200 portions of food.  The cabinets were being topped up at the rear by 4 people................needless to say they made a killing..................imagine 4 of these each with 100 cabinets at the back of each stand..............100 people being served at the same time...............no pissin about waiting for change, no "who's next etc.etc)..........happy days.........

ps, there was a change machine at both ends of the unit as well as hot/cold drinks dispensers......................

it looked the dogs tbh   

Some great ideas, but can't help but think that if we were to go down the everything under one roof option, it would actually make sense to move out of town.

Basically, build the Rapid Vienna Stadium in maroon, fan bars, 3g pitch allow Edinburgh Rugby to hire the pitch and spend huge wads of money at our in-house bars. What's not to like?

It's the simple things that help

Good quality toilet facilities and ensuring they are kept as clean as possible

Good quality catering with a decent selection.....given we all know places where the pies, bridies etc are all of far better quality than we have at present then I fail to see why we cannot improve the quality/range of the fare on offer. (with pricing to suit bearing in mind a profit should be made)

Cleanliness of the concourses....ensure TV 's are working as well

All seats cleaned and working as they should

Turnstyles improved and modernised (and wider !!)

Entertainment for children pre match

Then there are the bigger decisions re the space we have available and whether we can or indeed should introduce a bar/club of sorts.......again this should run at a profit

Nelly Terraces

Sounds good, is this club funded by the supporters or is it funded by the club? Reason I ask is that people saying a pub under wheatfield would be good,but could this be part funded via supporters club subscription ?

The bar/supporters club was built into the new main stand when the ground was redeveloped. The club obviously built it, but the running of it it solely down to a committee of the aforementioned supporters club. It's absolutely top drawer, but only works as they keep the prices very reasonable & the beer is brilliant. It's used for functions, beer fests etc, total winner on every level. I have to say that if we went down this road I'd be there pre/post every home game but if it was to be a bit soulless with your only option of Tennant lager or John Smith bitter at 4 quid a pop, you can forget it.

Francis Albert

Something along the lines of the old Rosebury Suite/Ace of Hearts club rooms in a new mainstand building would be great.

They were a financial black hole.

Football clubs should generally stick to football. McLeod Street is never going to be an entertainment/drinking money spinner however much you make once a fortnight on match days.

I'd imagine a fans bar will be incorporated into the new stand. Would make sense having one in the wheatfield also. Charge a ?10/20 annual membership fee to cover set up costs.

I've been down to a few Newcastle games and they have a season ticket where you pay a bit more but get access to a private members bar, and they have a couple of bars attached to the ground, which are mobbed before and afterwards.

Phil D. Corners

Some great ideas.

Always liked the idea of deluxe cinema or business class style seats. Seats with extra leg room and maybe even heated. The ability to order food directly to the seat.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Exactly. Whatever happenened to the notion that we are a "community" club? For a number of pubs and hotels, opening a large supporters bar would probably be "the straw that broke the camel's back".

I think a bar open for an hour after the game would work well. Pubs will still be rammed for that hour, and then after that they'd get another wave of punters (when the pubs are just starting to quieten down a little).

I think the key thing that most stadiums get wrong is having sufficient space between seats, and leg room. Most stadiums are crammed in and based when people's height was smaller. I.e old main stand. New main stand hopefully is designed with this in mind. We should also look to have a section where there is a cash bar to walk into at half time. Like the south stand at hampden.

A row of executive boxes would also be nice to see and a good generator of income I would think.

It's the simple things that help

Good quality toilet facilities and ensuring they are kept as clean as possible

Good quality catering with a decent selection.....given we all know places where the pies, bridies etc are all of far better quality than we have at present then I fail to see why we cannot improve the quality/range of the fare on offer. (with pricing to suit bearing in mind a profit should be made)

Cleanliness of the concourses....ensure TV 's are working as well

All seats cleaned and working as they should

Turnstyles improved and modernised (and wider !!)

Entertainment for children pre match

Then there are the bigger decisions re the space we have available and whether we can or indeed should introduce a bar/club of sorts.......again this should run at a profit

I agree with all of this.  It's a disgrace in this day and age that the facilities at the average football ground are so primitive.Clubs are missing a real trick in growing the business and really should be doing more on the catering front - which basically hasn't changed in the near 50 years I've been going to Tynecastle (sub standard , over price, unimaginitive food that you have to queue ages for). 

It's about time clubs showed more imagination and ambition. 

On the fans bar idea - I had a wee look at the Schalke Arena when I was over in Germany a couple of years ago. The fans have their own facility attached to the stadium. Very impressive.

letsalllaughathobos

Where did you get this from?! They quite clearly can afford paint but choose not to regularly paint the stairs.

Point with a bar is that is makes money after initial outlay to fit it out. Plus costs restricted by not being open all of the time.

There is plenty paint they must just choose not to bother with it,

All down to maintaining the stadium,

It's easy to say thing like there is lots needing done,

Just do it simple this is really what we pay season tickets for,

Also the team too

Every bar within a mile of Tyncastle is rammed before our games. Whilst not offering the same pub atmosphere some decent bars inside Tynecastle would generate a lot of money for the club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When the new stand is built would the gorgie suite not be ideal for a supporters bar as the hospitality will more than likely be moved to the new one

When the new stand is built would the gorgie suite not be ideal for a supporters bar as the hospitality will more than likely be moved to the new one

I would expect any new hospitality suites to be in addition to the Gorgie.

We have fewer hospitality sections than some other clubs and they make money.

I have always felt that winning games of football help drive attendances in the right direction.

Couldn't give a four X for all the other drivel that goes on behind the scenes.

GIVE ME A WINNING TEAM EVERYTIME.

Fair enough, but Newcastle have hardly had a fantastic team on the park at all times but always have decent attendances, 

Getting the core of the club right is always something to strive for, over decent grub at decent prices, alcohol in the ground within certain premises, and make sure to maximize in house profit.

Not quite facilities but a Barcaesque Hearts badge as you walk out the tunnel between the two technical areas would be the bollocks and fairly inexpensive

Jokes above aside, the biggest untapped market is women. People thought the NFL was insane to go after female supporters, with every team wearing pink in October for breast cancer awareness, because it was a "man's game." They're laughing all the way to the bank now with huge numbers of women becoming season ticket holders and buying piles of merchandise.

Improve the toilets, the catering, and ensure the concourses are clean. Do a bit of marketing to women, could easily give a 20% bump in attendance.

I agree entirely.

For inspiration about what the "matchday experience" could be, look at NFL in the USA or AFL or the Big Bash cricket in Australia.  Of course a winning team is what makes the biggest difference, but an improved "day out" with a larger stadium and better facilities will attract more women and children and increase our crowds to 22,000+ on a regular basis.  

This will then let us bring in more cash (bigger gate receipts plus more attractive proposition for sponsors) and we can really challenge for trophies on a regular basis.

Oh, and get a scoreboard so folk who dinnae ken the score can ken the score.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

What do you think the club can do to improve our facilities and make the match day experience more enjoyable ?

When the new stand is completed, it would be nice to think our average home attendances will rise in tandem with our increased capacity, but what do you think, if anything the club can do to ensure this happens ?

A successful team, that is everything.

I'd stand in a muddy field knee deep in shite for 90 minutes to watch Hearts win the league.

Nelly Terraces

Every bar within a mile of Tyncastle is rammed before our games. Whilst not offering the same pub atmosphere some decent bars inside Tynecastle would generate a lot of money for the club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed. Each match day football clubs watch 1 huge income stream they could easily tap into walk right out the door & see someone else profit from. There's no reason why a very well bar/club could not see at least some of those readies come our clubs way. Anyone who says it can't work is extremely short sighted & hasn't seen it work in practice elsewhere.

Sorry, I'm not having that one. I sit in the Wheatfield and for my money the quality of the PA system is great, almost too good as I struggle to hear my radio when getting score updates & that's using in ear bud type headphones.

The board are aware that a number of maintenance issues are outstanding, and I'm pretty sure they are being prioritised as necessary, but the PA system ain't one of those priorities.

I'm talking a proper professional PA system like Parkhead, totally adds to the experience. I sometime can't make Scott out at HT. Only my opinion of course ... I'm sure the thread asked for people's ideas ... not for folk to complain about them!

Francis Albert

Indeed. Each match day football clubs watch 1 huge income stream they could easily tap into walk right out the door & see someone else profit from. There's no reason why a very well bar/club could not see at least some of those readies come our clubs way. Anyone who says it can't work is extremely short sighted & hasn't seen it work in practice elsewhere.

It would be interesting to know the actual profit margin from those other examples. If Hearts got 1000 punters paying for a couple of pints at each home game we'd

be talking an annual gross revenue of ?150k or thereabouts. After costs a profit of maybe ?50k ( a wildly generous estimate ).

It's chicken feed.

Francis Albert

I'm talking a proper professional PA system like Parkhead, totally adds to the experience. I sometime can't make Scott out at HT. Only my opinion of course ... I'm sure the thread asked for people's ideas ... not for folk to complain about them!

Not complaining about your opinion, but for me Scott comes across crystal clear.

Not complaining about your opinion, but for me Scott comes across crystal clear.

Scott does, but the same cannot be said for his guests. I am in Main Stand.

Bar facility sounds good, but would expect it to be run on plastic bottle basis. Don't fancy waiting to be served after someone orders a "double round" of 6 pints of heavy/lager etc at 2:45

A good team on the park will aid any suggestion off the park. 

Plenty of good ideas noted on this thread, hopefully some come to fruition in the future as we continue to build up our great Club.

jamboinglasgow

Maybe have it as a coffee place during the day. That way it can be all day.

I remember reading they were going to put changing rooms under the Wheatfield for the pitch behind the stand.

I also agree with others in regards to the toliets. Always feel a mess. Though I think some fans need to learn to have better habits when in the toilet. I also agree for the sake of the experience for the ladies, they need to increase numbers of toilets for them.

The Treasurer

It would be interesting to know the actual profit margin from those other examples. If Hearts got 1000 punters paying for a couple of pints at each home game we'd

be talking an annual gross revenue of ?150k or thereabouts. After costs a profit of maybe ?50k ( a wildly generous estimate ).

It's chicken feed.

In order to be profitable any supporters bars would have to be in use more than just on match days (as the Gorgie Suite is just now).

FoH supporters club bar, as it says for FoH pledgers only, however with the provison of being able to sign on non subscribers in the hope of getting more pledgers.

FoH supporters club bar, as it says for FoH pledgers only, however with the provison of being able to sign on non subscribers in the hope of getting more pledgers.

Yes, and you can name it the "Uber Fan" bar, while you are at it.

:cornette:

Bit patronising to suggest that the things a woman's priorities when attending a sporting event are clean toilets and a tidy concourse, plus maybe some healhy options on the menu.

The NFL must be doing something else to attract women, other than breast cancer awareness campaigns etc

Why cant it be open at other times other than home games and ran like a proper pub? It could serve food on non-match days. Imagine popping down to Tynecastle on a Sunday morning for a full cooked breakfast? 

If its under the Wheatfield and its done properly, then it could potentially be huge in which case it could be rented out for various functions, exhibition space, business conferences, a venue for the festival, small comedy club/concerts etc. A real money spinner for the club. We dont have very much external funding sources (FoH being an exception of course) and we should tap into every revenue stream possible.

Italian Lambretta

Or how about an over 200 loyalty points fan bar :2thumbsup:

Yes, and you can name it the "Uber Fan" bar, while you are at it.

:cornette:

Or how about an over 200 loyalty points fan bar :2thumbsup:

Nah, but I like the idea of paying ?10 a season to be a member though. 3000 fans at ?10 = ?30k would be a good start for the bar fit-out.

Wider 'Obesity seats' section for the fatties, charged at a premium rate since they are taking up more space. Might need additional structural support underneath this section of the stand.

Follow, follow we will follow Jam Tarts anywhere, everywhere, we will follow on, as long as the amenities are excellent.  

I go to Tynecatle to watch the famous play football for 90 minutes every 2 weeks.  I do not even buy pies in the stadium these days. .  

Follow, follow we will follow Jam Tarts anywhere, everywhere, we will follow on, as long as the amenities are excellent.

I go to Tynecatle to watch the famous play football for 90 minutes every 2 weeks. I do not even buy pies in the stadium these days. .

Would you buy food if it was more tempting though? Realise we go to see the game but some things are the same as my first game in 1971.

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Mini using Tapatalk

..or are connected to one of the Gorgie / Dalry pubs/clubs and don't want this to happen (for obvious reasons).

I agree with you, it would be a sure fire winner.

Archived