What Can Our Club Do To Improve Stadium Facilities...?

Section Q

It would be interesting to know the actual profit margin from those other examples. If Hearts got 1000 punters paying for a couple of pints at each home game we'd

be talking an annual gross revenue of ?150k or thereabouts. After costs a profit of maybe ?50k ( a wildly generous estimate ).

It's chicken feed.

As he mentioned earlier, the Leyton Orient supporters bar puts ?1m into the club each season.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Francis Albert

As he mentioned earlier, the Leyton Orient supporters bar puts ?1m into the club each season.

It would be interesting to know how they do that. As far as I can see it is generally open only for a few hours before and after home games, although they also have a few special events (real ale festivals and the like).

?1m a year profit is astonishing - I doubt many "full time" pubs make that sort of money annually.

Francis Albert

My "match day experience" (horrible term) at English games would be improved if they closed the concourse bars. The first ten minutes of every game, and the ten minutes before and after half time you spend most of the time standing to let people into or out of their seats (it can be longer if the game is dull) ,,, and of course the inevitable frequent toilet visits between those times.

I'd hate football to become like American baseball, where games are eating, drinking, and shopping experiences as much as they are sports events and at any one time half the crowd is away from their seats.

But I know I am a dinosaur and few can survive two hours these days without eating, drinking, or pissing.

It would be interesting to know how they do that. As far as I can see it is generally open only for a few hours before and after home games, although they also have a few special events (real ale festivals and the like).

?1m a year profit is astonishing - I doubt many "full time" pubs make that sort of money annually.

I suspect you're right. I just looked up the Leyton Orient Supporters Cub, which has a bar, and (if this is what's being talked about) it has donated ?1million to the club........ but since it was formed in 1978 :)

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I like the goal music.

I would like to see the Legends banners back with a new one for Rudi.

There's a space where snakey used to be ;)

Bit patronising to suggest that the things a woman's priorities when attending a sporting event are clean toilets and a tidy concourse, plus maybe some healhy options on the menu.

The NFL must be doing something else to attract women, other than breast cancer awareness campaigns etc

1) Yes, there's a lot more the NFL does, but the breast cancer awareness thing is the most public and striking.  A lot of the NFL outreach has come in for criticism with being chauvinistic and assuming female fans are ignorant and require basic explanations, but it's still working -- an estimated 45% of NFL fans are now women, which was nowhere near the case 30 years ago.  Even when it's done badly a little bit of outreach to women goes a long way.  From her statements, I'm sure this isn't lost on Ann Budge.

2) The issue with toilets is just that women have to sit down to have a pish while men can do it standing up.  Also, like most sporting venues, Tynecastle originally didn't have that many women's toilets, but as mentioned above there's always a long line for them.

3) I said better catering, not just more healthy options.  That's not unique to women, but it's merely the fact that for anyone it takes a bit of time to understand the appeal of attending any sporting event, and many women haven't done that in the past for a variety of reasons.  When attending a sporting match requires navigating an industrial concourse, unpleasant toilets, and limited and mediocre food, one has to really catch the bug to want to come back, particularly if a Hearts draw or loss is the result on the pitch.  If it's a generally pleasant experience, new attendees are far more likely to want to come back.

I can't see the catering/bar thing being a huge money spinner. Might be a welcome alternative to have, but it wouldn't make us rich.

I suspect you're right. I just looked up the Leyton Orient Supporters Cub, which has a bar, and (if this is what's being talked about) it has donated ?1million to the club........ but since it was formed in 1978 :)

That may be the case and that I picked the guy up wrong when he was talking to me about the supporters club while down there - I had already sampled a few of their beers by that time!

Still though, any income should be welcomed.

Some great ideas, but can't help but think that if we were to go down the everything under one roof option, it would actually make sense to move out of town.

Basically, build the Rapid Vienna Stadium in maroon, fan bars, 3g pitch allow Edinburgh Rugby to hire the pitch and spend huge wads of money at our in-house bars. What's not to like?

Edinburgh rugby is funded by the sru and are far more of a sporting success than we are at the moment. Doing OK in the pro 12 as well. And this season it's at Murrayfield. Besides the Murrayfield pitch at the moment really puts ours to shame and the groundsmen were runners up at the team of the year last year.

The guys have even offered a hand to the groundsmen at tyne during match day when not attending to Murrayfield.

I like the idea of a bar under the wheatfield. Like it was said before it could double up as a venue for multipurpose events such as Comedy club, social club, and a venue for the fringe during off season.

I'd much rather goto the wheatfield for a pint not on matchday than the Tyne arms, strategies, bmc or an. Other. I know others have their venues. But a hearts bar with a pool table, dart board and beer all going into the clubs own coffers would be beneficial to our survival.

Having a fan representing us on the foh board is a massive help

Francis Albert

That makes more sense - a few tens of thousands a year was my guess at how much a pre and post match bar might generate in profit.

If it resulted in more pubs near the ground shutting up shop it would be a negative for the "match day experience" IMO (as well obviously for the local community).

That may be the case and that I picked the guy up wrong when he was talking to me about the supporters club while down there - I had already sampled a few of their beers by that time!

Still though, any income should be welcomed.

I agree.  This, and lots of the other ideas on here, should be considered for future Tynecastle plans.  I welcome any ideas they have to get me to the ground earlier and extract more money :)

I'd like to see a better and more flexible solution to the crowd segregation. Hopefully this will include being able to open up the stairs for home fans at the back of the Roseburn stand - it takes ages to all shuffle along the back of the Wheatfield.  It'd be good to have the concourses covered at the corners of the stands too. 

I like the idea of a bar under the wheatfield. Like it was said before it could double up as a venue for multipurpose events such as Comedy club, social club, and a venue for the fringe during off season.

I'd much rather goto the wheatfield for a pint not on matchday than the Tyne arms, strategies, bmc or an. Other. I know others have their venues. But a hearts bar with a pool table, dart board and beer all going into the clubs own coffers would be beneficial to our survival.

Having a fan representing us on the foh board is a massive help

A supporters club under the wheatfield would be great run by FOH. Discounted food & drink for FOH contributors and all profits at the end of year given back to club.

That makes more sense - a few tens of thousands a year was my guess at how much a pre and post match bar might generate in profit.

If it resulted in more pubs near the ground shutting up shop it would be a negative for the "match day experience" IMO (as well obviously for the local community).

Do you think it'll have such a huge impact on the pubs? It's not like a bar in the stadium is going to be able to house thousands of people. There'll still be those who stick with the pubs and there'll be those who ordinarily couldn't/wouldn't go to the pub (ie those with kids) but would make use of a supporters club.

The Natural Order

Just turn the space under the Wheatfield into a massive Greggs. All the food and transfer rumours facts you can get in you. Job done.

Francis Albert

Do you think it'll have such a huge impact on the pubs? It's not like a bar in the stadium is going to be able to house thousands of people. There'll still be those who stick with the pubs and there'll be those who ordinarily couldn't/wouldn't go to the pub (ie those with kids) but would make use of a supporters club.

I don't know but a lot of pubs are on a bit of a knife edge financially and it might not take much to push them over the cliff (to mix metaphors). 

More exits. Love my seat in the wheatfield but hate the 20 mins it takes to get out after the game. I never do it but understand why so many folk leave early.

More exits. Love my seat in the wheatfield but hate the 20 mins it takes to get out after the game. I never do it but understand why so many folk leave early.

Easy to time it just right as the board comes up. 

Depending on the minutes added, you can get out sharp.

In saying that, if there was a pub under the Wheatfield, i'd maybe be in there till the rush was over !  :2thumbsup:

stuartmitchell

Pubs are closing down all over the place yet folk want HMFC to spend money building one that will only be busy for a few hours maybe 20 times a season????

Correct me if i'm wrong but I'm sure that one of the boards aims was to make the Stadium tick and generate revenue 7 days a week. A bar can also be used for many different purposes: 

- Conferences 

- Function Hall 

- Pub quiz nights through the week 

- Re runs of the cup final on the 19th of every month....... :)

- Kids Parties (not so daft when you consider that just the other side of the pitch there will be a nursery...)

- Match days 

- Beam backs for Hearts TV purposes 

Just my 2p's worth :) 

I don't know but a lot of pubs are on a bit of a knife edge financially and it might not take much to push them over the cliff (to mix metaphors). 

On a serious note, if there was a bar in the ground I think i'd still go to the pub.

All part of the matchday experience and keeps local taverns afloat....the club get a fair whack of my income as it is.

Pubs don't allow kids - a constant issue for me travelling with two U18s. On the other side , take them to Villa Park or OT , have  a beer and some food , relaxed atmosphere pre match. Even now there is a chronic lack of boozers near Tynecastle.  Pub goers seem to be OK with their "match day experience" but they are a minority. The majority are stuck with nothing. 

I always though it would be good to give a bit of exposure to some local bands/groups pre kick off. I'd rather listen to a local band trying to make their way in the world rather than the pish that's usually played.

There definitely needs to be some merchandising stall inside the ground. It could sell programmes, half time draw tickets as well as official merchandise.

The TV's on the concourse need to be sorted out.

While the legends banners are a good idea they look chatty. Either do something better or scrap them altogether.

On a slightly different note I personally think our brand needs wider exposure too. Edinburgh attracts millions of visitors a year. A few strategically placed adverts throughout the city - airport, city centre, etc - at specific times of the year. Leaflets for match day experience, stadium tours, etc, in hotels and tourist information centres. There is undoubtably potential to get more tourists at games, particularly as they tend to go the whole hog and buy a ticket, programme, scarf and sometimes strip.

Ultimately Hearts need to work harder to generate income streams from new 'customers' rather than relying on existing ones spending more.

Also, look for the student market. Thousands of people who like football go to Edinburgh to study. They are too far away to go and watch the English team they support, so they might take up Hearts for the duration.

A universities' supporters' club.

Drop Rangers and Celtic's away allocation to zero. Failing that, give them the same number of tickets as there are coppers looking after them. One fan = one copper

Dagger Is Back

1) Yes, there's a lot more the NFL does, but the breast cancer awareness thing is the most public and striking.  A lot of the NFL outreach has come in for criticism with being chauvinistic and assuming female fans are ignorant and require basic explanations, but it's still working -- an estimated 45% of NFL fans are now women, which was nowhere near the case 30 years ago.  Even when it's done badly a little bit of outreach to women goes a long way.  From her statements, I'm sure this isn't lost on Ann Budge.

2) The issue with toilets is just that women have to sit down to have a pish while men can do it standing up.  Also, like most sporting venues, Tynecastle originally didn't have that many women's toilets, but as mentioned above there's always a long line for them.

3) I said better catering, not just more healthy options.  That's not unique to women, but it's merely the fact that for anyone it takes a bit of time to understand the appeal of attending any sporting event, and many women haven't done that in the past for a variety of reasons.  When attending a sporting match requires navigating an industrial concourse, unpleasant toilets, and limited and mediocre food, one has to really catch the bug to want to come back, particularly if a Hearts draw or loss is the result on the pitch.  If it's a generally pleasant experience, new attendees are far more likely to want to come back.

I'm with you UA. I didn't think your original comments were patronising at all. Whether people agree or not times have moved on. Some people expect and demand decent facilities otherwise they'll go elsewhere or just stop going at all.

Pubs don't allow kids - a constant issue for me travelling with two U18s. On the other side , take them to Villa Park or OT , have a beer and some food , relaxed atmosphere pre match. Even now there is a chronic lack of boozers near Tynecastle. Pub goers seem to be OK with their "match day experience" but they are a minority. The majority are stuck with nothing.

I go to the pub before most games usually in Slateford or Haymarket areas, most of the pubs are overcrowded and offer little in the way of tempting food or snacks. I'd prefer my pre and post match pints to be in the ground with the proceeds going to Hearts. Most of my mates feel the same. Don't get me started on no club colours rules at Platform 5 etc.

Different Class

So a wee to do list....

Replace all Roseburn seats

New TVs in the concourses

Employ some cleaners to work on the whole stadium during the week, not just toilets (not expensive)

Merch stand(s)

Focus on quality and value of food and drinks, not necessarily more variety

Replace the ancient turnstiles

And lose the goal music!

That's all I ask :thumbsup:

maltese jambo

I always though it would be good to give a bit of exposure to some local bands/groups pre kick off. I'd rather listen to a local band trying to make their way in the world rather than the pish that's usually played.

There definitely needs to be some merchandising stall inside the ground. It could sell programmes, half time draw tickets as well as official merchandise.

The TV's on the concourse need to be sorted out.

While the legends banners are a good idea they look chatty. Either do something better or scrap them altogether.

On a slightly different note I personally think our brand needs wider exposure too. Edinburgh attracts millions of visitors a year. A few strategically placed adverts throughout the city - airport, city centre, etc - at specific times of the year. Leaflets for match day experience, stadium tours, etc, in hotels and tourist information centres. There is undoubtably potential to get more tourists at games, particularly as they tend to go the whole hog and buy a ticket, programme, scarf and sometimes strip.

Ultimately Hearts need to work harder to generate income streams from new 'customers' rather than relying on existing ones spending more.

Excellent point. Really think there is good possibilities along the lines you've mentioned.

Office Christmas parties etc maybe could be pushed a bit further too? Annoys me how Aberdeen make a killing from all these activities yet have relatively crap attendances

Archived