European Football could be cancelled?

avhudtheteeshirt

The Champions League exists so that armchair dullards, who have never been in a stadium in their lives, can join in with football chat in workplaces up and down the country.

no its mainly about money and top teams guaranteeing their place in the competition

money / sponsorship comes in and it changes again

hence Hibs v Hearts one of biggest games of the season in Scotland cannot be shown live on tv

meanwhile BT Free to air games on the BT Showcase channel have so far averaged 200,000 viewers, with highest of 500,000

BBC Peterborough v West Brom viewed by 5.6 million people

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not know if it's true or not, but I heard some big clubs AC Milan and Man U are putting pressure on UEFA to make sure they get in every season due to their history in previous years..

Not happy Leicester are crashing their exclusive party, eh?

avhudtheteeshirt

Not happy Leicester are crashing their exclusive party, eh?

Its pretty typical the bigger clubs want better opposition to help their own aspirations, yet they don't want them to usurp them???

Sounds a bit like Scottish Football with a lot more money involved!!!!!

There are plenty of times when I hanker for the old days of European competitions with a straight knockout European Cup, UEFA Cup and the excellent random Cup Winners Cup. It was the rarity value of European football that was the attraction plus the puncher's chance element of the cup competition. If the Euro Super Self Selecting League happens then I hope it flops and flops very, very badly.

I agree but it is completely bent now! Somebody bunged somebody and these great tournaments were killed off. These people should be in prison, not office.

The "sweetie" of the Europa League of the winners getting an ECL spot is good ....as long as they are Spanish, Italian, German, French or Finglish.

The Treasurer

My first thoughts were this can't be allowed but then when I sat down and really thought about it, it might not be the worst thing from our own point of view.

Lets be honest, the way it's set up just now the chances of us (or any Scottish team) making the group stages are virtually nil nowadays.

Therefore why not take the chance to revamp the Europa (or whatever they want to call it) and make it a proper tournament.

There would still be some great teams (Ajax, Benfica etc) to make it "glamorous" and it could be competitive.

I think the TV League (it would have nothing to do with being champions) would soon lose it's appeal with the same teams going through the same matches year after year.

jamboinglasgow

According to daily record the alantic league is being pushed again as a response to this plan. Talk about missing the point.

This simply confirms the 'big clubs' view..............Josep Maria Bartomeu - president of the La Liga champions Barcelona

Barcelona won their fifth Champions League crown last season, but what would happen if they didn't qualify for the competition one season?

"Sometimes, for the interest of football, why not give wildcards like in tennis," says Bartomeu. "Sometimes the top players don't qualify and are given wildcards for the interest. This can happen in football. That is the decision of Uefa.

"Sometimes, clubs have a bad season and it is a big punishment to not play in the Champions League. We need a stronger Champions League and more and more interest for the football fans and to make it more competitive.

"The Champions League is the biggest competition and most important one."

So we can see qualification will no longer be on ability but on reputation

UEFA could learn a few tricks from the NFL - wage caps, the draft etc. I like the way the NFL tries to equalise the teams so the playing field is as level as possible each season. In contrast, UEFA (and football in general) seems to pander to the "big" teams.

The Barcelona statement is unbelievable - you should qualify for tournaments based on your success last season, not on your history. What would happen if Barcelona didn't qualify for the Champions League one season? They would regroup and try to qualify the next season, just like all the "lesser" teams have to do.

UEFA could learn a few tricks from the NFL - wage caps, the draft etc. I like the way the NFL tries to equalise the teams so the playing field is as level as possible each season. In contrast, UEFA (and football in general) seems to pander to the "big" teams.

The Barcelona statement is unbelievable - you should qualify for tournaments based on your success last season, not on your history. What would happen if Barcelona didn't qualify for the Champions League one season? They would regroup and try to qualify the next season, just like all the "lesser" teams have to do.

NFL could learn to not be shite, tbf.

My first thoughts were this can't be allowed but then when I sat down and really thought about it, it might not be the worst thing from our own point of view.

Lets be honest, the way it's set up just now the chances of us (or any Scottish team) making the group stages are virtually nil nowadays.

Therefore why not take the chance to revamp the Europa (or whatever they want to call it) and make it a proper tournament.

There would still be some great teams (Ajax, Benfica etc) to make it "glamorous" and it could be competitive.

I think the TV League (it would have nothing to do with being champions) would soon lose it's appeal with the same teams going through the same matches year after year.

My opinion will be against the majority but never mind. I don't agree that making Scottish football even less important in the European/World stage is a good thing at all. If our champions best hope is to take part in a poor mans Europa League then that will generate less interest, less coverage and less money. A rejuvenated Europa League (with the likes of Ajax, Benfica etc) wouldn't be a hugely enticing draw for the neutral, they would far prefer to watch Barca v Bayern on the pay per view channel, lets be honest. 

The elite Champions League has been coming for some time, though, and is inevitable at some stage as there is too much money involved for it not to happen.

jamboinglasgow

That Barcelona statement defies belief.

Its crazy, I do hope the greed of these clubs becomes their downfall. To make out its unfair on these clubs if they miss out on champions league because of a poor season is like a spoilt child.

The Treasurer

My opinion will be against the majority but never mind. I don't agree that making Scottish football even less important in the European/World stage is a good thing at all. If our champions best hope is to take part in a poor mans Europa League then that will generate less interest, less coverage and less money. A rejuvenated Europa League (with the likes of Ajax, Benfica etc) wouldn't be a hugely enticing draw for the neutral, they would far prefer to watch Barca v Bayern on the pay per view channel, lets be honest. 

The elite Champions League has been coming for some time, though, and is inevitable at some stage as there is too much money involved for it not to happen.

Couple of points on your post.

Do you think if, at this stage in the season if we were genuinely challenging for the title, it would make it less interesting just because we wouldn't get in the CL if we won ?

Revamping the Europa would be for the benefit of real football fans who WOULD be interested in seeing their team play Ajax, Benfica etc. The "neutrals" (or fanboys) in Asia would continue to watch "their team" in the CL no matter how dull and predictable it became, therefore they are irrelevant when it comes to what's best for football in countries like Scotland, Portugal, Norway etc

Son Of Anarchy

Its crazy, I do hope the greed of these clubs becomes their downfall. To make out its unfair on these clubs if they miss out on champions league because of a poor season is like a spoilt child.

Absolutely. "Stuff anybody who has EARNED the right to play in it as we should automatically be in it before you." Abhorrent is the only way to describe it.

avhudtheteeshirt

Can only think that when Rangers filled in the corners at Ibrox and put in large TV screens, they were part of the Football G8 who were looking to set up a European League and they would beam back live away games to Ibrox. Now the goalposts have changed and only 5 countries look to be invited to play, it seams that Rangers greed at the time to be playing in European league has back fired and they will now be cast out in the cold with Celtic and the rest of Europe!!!!

FenderJaguar7

Some team they sheep sha**ers back then,lucky for them it absolutely pissed with rain when they beat Real Madrid,I recon it was a game changer.

I think the game changer was that they scored more goals than Real Madrid no? You do know Alex Ferguson was the manager? Hardly a fluke was it?

Everyone in Scotland should cancel their Sky and BT Sport and propose a new broadcast, put the money on a monthly subscription back into Scottish Football. Rejuvenate the youth system and introduce passing, positioning and technique drills into academies rather than hoofball and making the kids scared to get on the ball. When will we learn?

Our national team and clubs are the laughing stock of Europe, we can change it but people are too scared. Too much in-fighting in Scotland. As 2pac said "Some things will never change."

Bazzas right boot

Wonder if it wI'll become a world tournament rather than a European one.

For me, this would be a more natural progression for the tournament.

Bazzas right boot

This simply confirms the 'big clubs' view..............Josep Maria Bartomeu - president of the La Liga champions Barcelona

Barcelona won their fifth Champions League crown last season, but what would happen if they didn't qualify for the competition one season?

"Sometimes, for the interest of football, why not give wildcards like in tennis," says Bartomeu. "Sometimes the top players don't qualify and are given wildcards for the interest. This can happen in football. That is the decision of Uefa.

"Sometimes, clubs have a bad season and it is a big punishment to not play in the Champions League. We need a stronger Champions League and more and more interest for the football fans and to make it more competitive.

"The Champions League is the biggest competition and most important one."

Although they might explore this, I don't see how it

Can work.

Could Liverpool say we deserve a place more than arsenal, could Notts forest even say that?

Would claim would psg have? Someone like Ajax have far more tradition in the competition, the idea is a mine field and would be open to legal challenge.

So we can see qualification will no longer be on ability but on reputation

I think the game changer was that they scored more goals than Real Madrid no? You do know Alex Ferguson was the manager? Hardly a fluke was it?

Everyone in Scotland should cancel their Sky and BT Sport and propose a new broadcast, put the money on a monthly subscription back into Scottish Football. Rejuvenate the youth system and introduce passing, positioning and technique drills into academies rather than hoofball and making the kids scared to get on the ball. When will we learn?

Our national team and clubs are the laughing stock of Europe, we can change it but people are too scared. Too much in-fighting in Scotland. As 2pac said "Some things will never change."

I cant wait to cancel my account with these two but they both show Scottish games

?5 increase in my monthly bill for Champions League football that i dont want to watch :thumbsdown:

We need our own SPFL channel

FenderJaguar7

I cant wait to cancel my account with these two but they both show Scottish games

?5 increase in my monthly bill for Champions League football that i dont want to watch :thumbsdown:

We need our own SPFL channel

Yeah that's what I think. Instead of us all sitting back and letting people tarnish our game on an international level we need to re energise it and that can only happen with money. It's time for a change

Let them become the equivalent of a globetrotters tournament. I'll be glad to be officially separated from their farcical circus. All the teams outside of their cartel should club together and form a separate organisation and centre it around competition and support, and just leave them to it. Officially remove ourselves from being associated with the whole shooting match.

going to look back to say the 70s to see who the top teams would be

certainly not Barcelona

things change and we're better for it

August Landmesser

A good piece on the topic in WSC; 

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1207-february-2016/13115-true-european-cup-heritage-lies-in-dundee-not-top-leagues

"Dynamo Kiev have reached the semi-finals of both the Champions League and the old European Cup. Their billionaire opponents in tonight?s last 16 first leg, Manchester City, could eventually get there this season or next. After the famous exploits of United, this would make Manchester the second city in England, after London (Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea) to have more than one club ever reach the last four of the continent?s premier competition.

Everton, Birmingham City and Notts County can still dream of making theirs England?s third such conurbation. However, even the most powerful Ukrainian clubs such as Dynamo, Dnipro and Shakhtar Donetsk may soon find it impossible. With the big five domestic leagues threatening to block everyone else?s entry into the Champions League, it?s time the other 49 UEFA associations brushed up on their trivia.

Entering its seventh decade, the European Cup has been won by 22 clubs. Few cities have had more than one ever reach the semi-finals. And, by way of a convoluted quiz question, ask your friends the only country to have two such locations. England, Italy, Spain, Germany and France are educated guesses. Earlier this month Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge suggested, in his role as chairman of the European Clubs Association (ECA), that the Champions League should perhaps consist solely of clubs from these five countries.

This confirmed the old G14 cartel, dissolved in 2008, is alive and well within the ECA. And it warned UEFA that the richest clubs think domestic league placings and qualifying rounds too unreliable a route into Europe?s elite competition. Manchester United and Milan have in recent seasons ? like Chelsea right now ? finished outside their national top four. Rummenigge and his ilk can?t have this. After all, these are past European champions ? the historic greats television apparently love most.

The answer to that long-winded trivia question is Scotland. Dundee and Glasgow: Dundee FC lost to Milan in the 1962-63 European Cup semis, Dundee United to Roma in 1983-84; Celtic, of course, won the European Cup in 1967, were runners-up in 1970 and lost in the semis of 1971-72 and 1973-74 while Rangers, who suffered a record 12-4 aggregate semi-final defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt in 1959-60 were also a goal away from the final in 1992-93, the first Champions League.

Yes, it?s a nationalistic footballing boast. Add Hibernian?s defeat by Stade de Reims in the inaugural competition of 1955-56 and Scotland ? tiny Scotland ? has provided five different semi-finalists in the European Cup. But it?s also a historical coefficient. And, as such, an argument anyone outside Europe?s top five domestic leagues can use against the exclusion of nations with smaller TV audiences.

Of those 22 historic champions of Europe, three are Dutch, two Portuguese and there?s one each from Scotland, Serbia and Romania. Over a third of the names on the trophy have come from outside the ?big five? countries. France has only provided one European champion ? and Marseille weren?t allowed to defend their 1993 title because of domestic match fixing.  

Norway and Denmark have provided no European finalists, ever. Yet this season Molde, from the former, topped a Europa League group featuring Champions League regulars Fenerbahce, Ajax and Celtic; Danes FC Midtjylland defeated Manchester United in last week?s Europa League last 32 first leg. Rather than glitches to be ironed out, victorious minnows and the vagaries of history constitute competition itself.

Rummenigge should note every European competition from 1955 to 1960 was won by Real Madrid or Barcelona, the pair who?ve shared five of the last ten Champions Leagues including the two most recent. Get rid of everyone smaller and Bayern Munich could soon be the unwanted surplus. To Spain?s big two, the entire planet is mere filler."

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Pretty sure Scotland has won more European trophies than France, if you ignore intertoto cup wins. And that's with marseille cheating to win one.

bringonthesevco

So the big European teams are looking at ways of making even more money, I wonder given the recent "footballing explosion" in China, if the whole European thing could disappear anyway and be replaced by something else altogether.

Could see a competition appearing quite quickly involving Chinese clubs ...

Maybe some clubs like Milan, Juventus, Bayern, ,Real have been successful through the history of the European Cup.

But below are some teams who had a case for being in the top group

60s

Benfica

Leeds United

70s

Ajax

PSV Eindhoven

St Etienne

Feyenoord

80s

Liverpool

Bruges

90s

Marseille

00s

Lyon

Zenit St Petersburg

Valencia

10s

Barcelona

avhudtheteeshirt

All it seems to do is alienate the working man who created the football clubs in the first place!

The rich get richer and the poor get thrown to the wolves!

I personally would like to see clubs rejecting a place in Europe. as to get through 4 rounds to get into the Leagues the monies spent on travel especially if far flung destinations, if you don't make the Leagues you can loose money big time. I know its a big thing to Europe but were we to qualify, can we as a club sustain a loss if drawn to play in places like Slovenia or further afield than that!

Maybe we are progressing to quickly and the 5 year plan is more realistic????

It would never happen, but given the US's determination to be upwardly mobile in the global game, I would love it if an Atlantic Cup/Atlantic League competition included the US and Canada.  Mostly because 1) it would bring some quality, storied clubs from Europe (including, God willing, Hearts) over to the US where I could attend them more easily, and 2) because it would be a gigantic GIRFUY to the Big 5 countries.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

It would never happen, but given the US's determination to be upwardly mobile in the global game, I would love it if an Atlantic Cup/Atlantic League competition included the US and Canada. Mostly because 1) it would bring some quality, storied clubs from Europe (including, God willing, Hearts) over to the US where I could attend them more easily, and 2) because it would be a gigantic GIRFUY to the Big 5 countries.

Getting the Yanks involved would be even worse. Sadly, I think this is also inevitable.

avhudtheteeshirt

Wonder what the new guy at FIFA's take on UEFA is? Will he slap down the stupidity or run with it to see what happens.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Maybe some clubs like Milan, Juventus, Bayern, ,Real have been successful through the history of the European Cup.

Juventus have won it the same amount of times as Nottingham Forest. Liverpool have won it 5 times.

michael_bolton

Juventus have won it the same amount of times as Nottingham Forest. Liverpool have won it 5 times.

Perspective required.

Juventus have won the European Cup twice, the UEFA Cup three times, the Cup Winners Cup once, the Super Cup twice and the Intercontinental Cup twice. On top of this they have been beaten European Cup finalists six times and UEFA Cup runners up once. They have been European Cup semi finalists three times (further to the 8 times they have appeared in the final itself, giving a total of 11 times in the semi finals). They are closing in on 250 European Cup/CL games. Including the Intertoto Cup, they are the only club in the world to have won 6 confederation tournaments. They were the first club to win all of UEFA's 'Big Three' seasonal tournaments.

In short, comparing their historical stature in European football with that of Nottingham Forest is absurd.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Perspective required.

Juventus have won the European Cup twice, the UEFA Cup three times, the Cup Winners Cup once, the Super Cup twice and the Intercontinental Cup twice. On top of this they have been beaten European Cup finalists six times and UEFA Cup runners up once. They have been European Cup semi finalists three times (further to the 8 times they have appeared in the final itself, giving a total of 11 times in the semi finals). They are closing in on 250 European Cup/CL games. Including the Intertoto Cup, they are the only club in the world to have won 6 confederation tournaments. They were the first club to win all of UEFA's 'Big Three' seasonal tournaments.

In short, comparing their historical stature in European football with that of Nottingham Forest is absurd.

Not including Liverpool would be absurd, too.

avhudtheteeshirt

This is nonsense, competition name is Champions League not Champions League and others?

Already they get parachute to Europa Cup if knocked out the Champions League, sorry to say again but the rich just get richer!!!!

Archived