European Football could be cancelled?

avhudtheteeshirt

LarrysRightFoot

If it does happen I think they would get a real scare as I imagine there will be a massive backlash.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst thing about the Champions League is that most of the teams involved in the group stages aren't Champions of their respective leagues. It's this which has created the 'big club' monopoly which is now paving the way for a super league.

Im surprised that the CL brings in such huge numbers still as I cant remember the last game I watched and Ive got BT sport.

Im probably in the minority though although in the past would have watched it religiously when it was on, regardless of who was playing.

The CL is for kids. Flashy and brash and all style over content.

That's who is watching it.

alwaysthereinspirit

As they only mention the top 5 countries as being the tournament representatives. What country would be classed as the 6th biggest?

Mind when Rosenberg were qualifying all the time - they got some great results in their wee Arctic outpost. And as much as I despise them, that opening season when Rangers did so well was pretty gripping stuff. Maybe I was at a naive age and proper hatred hadn't yet set in but I was delighted when they beat Leeds in the 'battle of Britain' - can't imagine ever wishing them well again. No German, English or Spanish clubs made it to the eight team group stage that year.

Son Of Anarchy

Scottish clubs already play qualifying rounds to get into the C.L. I think the argument is about automatic qualification for some countries teams & qualifiers for some. Not a lot will change for Scottish clubs in the grand scheme of things I think.

I really should read links before I offer my opinion Farin but I see Fifa/uefa/spfl/suits in a link and my head goes to mush so never click on it ;)

Quite interesting move from Karl-Heinz given the ECA has many members from outwith those 5 associations. Perhaps they should all be resigning en-masse from the ECA? I doubt any of them will have the balls to do so.

There are 5 Scottish members of the ECA by the way according to this (http://www.ecaeurope.com/eca-members/eca-members/): Aberdeen, Celtic, Motherwell, Rangers and .... Hearts. Perhaps Ann should tell them to do a runner?

Oh, and another by the way, Peter Lawwell, who someone else suggested was acting through Doncaster to get his voice heard on this, is a member of the ECA Executive Board.

Snouts in troughs. It will always be the same, especially if the smaller clubs just keep on taking it with merely a whimper.

Dungcaster saying it would become boring with the top teams or select few playing each other all the time, What?! like selling tv rights on the premise that The Rangers & Celtic would be playing each other 4+ times a season? that kinda boring? God give me strength, that guy is just a Buffoon.

The utter hypocrisy of that waste of space is staggering!

Of course, all the handwringing by Dumbcaster is on behalf of the Two Cheeks.

avhudtheteeshirt

The same problem always crops up with this type of Cartel!

The monies that come in for the Champions League come from all the European Franchised Countries, so if you tell the other 30 or so Countries your not required, you would think their money and investment in the Champions League would have to be returned if not already embezzled by the crooked hierarchy that used to be in place?

My thoughts on this are the return to the table of the Old Atlantic League that was proposed years ago, and try and pick up scraps of money from TV. This will never be enough to make it a going concern, as travel costs would need to be covered so big TV money is the only option to move it forward and that will not be forthcoming!!!

Nelly Terraces

I hope all these soulless 'big' clubs f *** off as soon as possible & take their facile, self serving corporatesucking tournament with them & let the rest of us cracking on with our own game, least then we might get ludicrous rules like that leading to the game on Tuesday not being on TV changed.

There are plenty of times when I hanker for the old days of European competitions with a straight knockout European Cup, UEFA Cup and the excellent random Cup Winners Cup. It was the rarity value of European football that was the attraction plus the puncher's chance element of the cup competition. If the Euro Super Self Selecting League happens then I hope it flops and flops very, very badly.

Exactly this

The Champions League exists so that armchair dullards, who have never been in a stadium in their lives, can join in with football chat in workplaces up and down the country.

Substitute "top countries in Europe" for "Scotland" and "Celtic and Rangers" for "top teams" and it sounds exactly like Doncaster's plan for us.

You can guarantee that if Celtic and Rangers were invited to the party then the shameless erse would be telling us all how wonderful it was for Scottish football.

I hope all these soulless 'big' clubs f *** off as soon as possible & take their facile, self serving corporatesucking tournament with them & let the rest of us cracking on with our own game, least then we might get ludicrous rules like that leading to the game on Tuesday not being on TV changed.

This. The plastic CL/ EPL fans can do one. Folk from Scotland with PSG/ Man City/ Real Madrid tops who never go & see their local team? 'Aye Scottish fitba is shite ken, ah'm a Barca man masel, on the telly an that' You're welcome to it.

Luscious Laryea

The "Champions" league has been a borefest for a good few years now. It sells satellite dishes in Asia but it's a long time since it had anything to do with sport. I stopped paying to watch football on tv a long time ago and won't ever again as long as the big clubs and countries continue to destroy it.

Absolutely dead on, yet another shallow competition for the uberfans of Tokyo

The thought of possibly no Celtic or sevco in the C.L delights me tbh, them missing out on the massive payouts it brings might just level the playing field a little here domestically...

I like your thoughts, the real pisser for me is, ffs we've qualified for the Europa league, ah miracles do happen,looking to book holidays etc online,a few weeks later these twats above get shunted from the poxy champions league and are back in the Europa league,it's fn mental

jamboinglasgow

Some sort of European super league is inevitable IMO, with the bigger clubs probably leaving their domestic leagues. The World Club Championship will become the new "Champions League".

I completely disagree. Its not in the interest of the biggest clubs in Europe to breakaway and start their own league. A superleague is good if you are a Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern as they will be the ones competiting for first place. But the teams who are big but not as big as them who are in the league, for example Juventus. The teams in the super league would be clubs who dominate their leagues and thus snap up all the fans from winning each week. If your in a super league and mid table or even near the bottom then you no longer win all the time or suffer loss after loss. Meaning you lose fans and sponsors, which mean a downward spiral which mixed with no relegation mean your club gets worse and worse. So there would not be enough clubs who would be in favour to back it. The clubs know that, and so getting qualification to the Champions league made automatic regardless of league position is the best situation they can want.

I dont say this often but I agree with Doncaster, this idea is a disgrace and soley harms smaller leagues. If Uefa approved it then they may as well give up on claiming they are acting for all countries and clubs.

michael_bolton

I'm surprised that anybody's surprised. This has obviously always been the natural progression of the utter sham that is the Champions League.

Personally, I gave up on it ages ago and couldn't care less.

It's sabre rattling. UEFA should just call their bluff and let them breakaway.

Agreed. I thought it sounded an awful lot like the bigger clubs using plain old threats to get their own way when it comes to this direct entry nonsense for the CL. Apparently the structure can only be amended every three years and the next phase comes at the end of season 2017/18. Call their bluff and let them sod off. That would be the view of most fans of most clubs I'm sure, but the decision makers are probably only interested in the big names who bring them the big money.

This times a million. Maybe some sort of drastic change would allow the rest of us to put together some sort of broadcasting structure of our own. Granted it might leave us ignored by the big broadcasters but having control over our own position might not be the worst thing in the world when we're earning pennies anyway.

N Lincs Jambo

Dutch & Portuguese have won European competions more recently than any French club...

I may be wrong but I think that to this very day, Scottish clubs have still achieved more wins of European trophies than French clubs

How about we just stick both fingers up at them and screen the cup tie! 

Please :sob:

That's exactly what should be happening, "Hey UEFA, we're screening a Scottish cup tie at 19.45pm on Tuesday night, what the **** are you going to do?" It's a piss take man, like you WILL watch the champions league!!! Nah get to ****, I'll watch a game that i actually care about, **** you.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If Rangers and Celtic found a way in, at the permanent exclusion of every other Scottish club, you wouldn't hear a word from Doncaster.

The top clubs have been threatening this for years and the Champions league was the uefa response to the threat. Let them **** off if they want.

avhudtheteeshirt

All the Clubs competing in the Champions League have to be playing in their own Countries League to qualify to play.

The new regime will invite teams to play and not necessary the team who wins their respective league would compete!

After the dust settles, teams who have invested large amounts of SKY money to reach the Champions League may never get a sniff at it as they are not the En Vogue team criteria!!!!!!

If Rangers and Celtic found a way in, at the permanent exclusion of every other Scottish club, you wouldn't hear a word from Doncaster.

You would hear him alright, telling us how wonderful this would be for Scottish football.

It's basically the same thing that happened with the SPL, the big clubs breaking away and running the game themselves. We all know how that worked out, football in this country has declined since the clubs took charge.

Just watched it on You Tube. McMaster. You need to watch it just for the non booking tackle near the end. Unbelievable. Even Scott Brown would have seen red.

Seven minutes twenty, Brown prob would've got no more than a report card sent home of course :(

Seymour M Hersh

Doncaster doesn't do irony, it seems

Dick

My first thought was well he'll know a sinister deal in football better than anyone. My second thought was the same as yours.

Carl Spackler

I'm glad Doncaster's got our back on this one. He'll surely know his onions when it comes to dealing with the biggest teams protecting and projecting their best interests. He'll know all the "plays". I'm sure he'll do a grand job.......All the best Neil.

Doncaster can hardly complain. He heads a league system that is set up to benefit 2 clubs primarily whilst keeping a handful of clubs in the top league. The SPFL set up is just as bad as the European set up.

If UEFA decide no Scottish clubs are in the Champions League that is only going to hurt Celtic. That can only be a good thing for Scottish football. No other Scottish club's fans expect their club to be involved in the champions league (although the the Rangers fans probably do long term) so it won't affect the core Scottish football support.

It is a sign of how far the big European clubs, and UEFA, have crawled up their own arses though.

100% correct. Fairer distribution of cash required both domestically and in Europe.

Voice of reason

Where have all the purists gone in football? The champions league should go back to only being for the league winners in each European country.

Money grabbing administrators have destroyed football as the people's sport. This is just about pure greed.

I think individual TV deals for each league is a nonsense, I mean how can you attempt to promote fairness when only teams from certain leagues are given access to hundreds of millions. Bournemouth being able to cherry pick players from Celtic is a joke.

I think TV deals should have to be agreed by Uefa, and the money is then evenly distributed amongst its member leagues, No warping of it (I.e no 'But barcalona are on the tv more so deserve extra').

Cannot expect Football to be fair when 1 league gets 15 million spread across it, and another league gets ?1bn to spread out.

Nucky Thompson

I was reading this morning that Celtic would just as well stick a padlock on their gates if this were to happen. Bring it on

bigladatthebackpost

Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and thought it was a proposal by the OP to get our cup tie broadcast?

It would sure hurt Celtic!  it would hurt Ajax and other such teams too.

apart from that I'm not worried. 

After all its inevitable that the biggest earners will always take even more of the " pot". 

Its sadly, capitalism, plus media, which rule football at this level

But I think I can add something to the debate . These big clubs must at some time, start to compete with China and the USA.   To do it they will need vast resources.

Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and thought it was a proposal by the OP to get our cup tie broadcast?

:) No, there were are at least two of us.

avhudtheteeshirt

The Title reads: could be cancelled not should be cancelled!!!

Also added link to BBC sport for clarification of the reason for the post!

amount bet on football this season in europe is down 65% really bad for the industry fifa has to accept some of the blame for it not surprised uefa want to give the competition a facelift many casual fans are sick of the prices and the scandals they dont want to spend their only day off watching a game that they have no confidence in

amount bet on football this season in europe is down 65% really bad for the industry fifa has to accept some of the blame for it not surprised uefa want to give the competition a facelift many casual fans are sick of the prices and the scandals they dont want to spend their only day off watching a game that they have no confidence in

Do not know if it's true or not, but I heard some big clubs AC Milan and Man U are putting pressure on UEFA to make sure they get in every season due to their history in previous years..

part_time_jambo

It's the logical extension of what's being going on for years since the Champos league came into being.

TV money feeding a league which generates more money and its self fulfilling.

On the positive side no more money for ra sellick their attendance will fall and Scottish football will go on in a probably more competitive manner.

Excellent point. Only Celtic, and previously Celtic/Rangers, are likely to reach the group stages, giving them potentially millions in extra revenue. If that tap is turned off it can only be good for the rest of the teams. 

Do not know if it's true or not, but I heard some big clubs AC Milan and Man U are putting pressure on UEFA to make sure they get in every season due to their history in previous years..

It wouldn't be surprising - previously successful teams who are now shite wanting the same easy route to 'success' or in reality, money, that they had before. Similarly, one of the drivers for the Champions League was AC Milan and Real Madrid drawing each other in the second round of the European Cup in 1989 - you can't have random draws and competition when there's money to be made.

The other associations should tell them all to **** off, then form their own cross-border knockout competitions and try to get round EU freedom of movement laws by putting some kind of ridiculous premium on any players the 'successful' clubs want to buy.

I wouldn't watch the Champions League if you paid me.

amount bet on football this season in europe is down 65%

that seems terribly unlikely. And why would any changes boost gambling?

tartofmidlothian

The Champions League exists so that armchair dullards, who have never been in a stadium in their lives, can join in with football chat in workplaces up and down the country.

Substitute "top countries in Europe" for "Scotland" and "Celtic and Rangers" for "top teams" and it sounds exactly like Doncaster's plan for us.

You can guarantee that if Celtic and Rangers were invited to the party then the shameless erse would be telling us all how wonderful it was for Scottish football.

:pleasing:

Three great posts in a row, well done JKB.

I couldn't tell you who won the champions league last season or the Europa cup without googling it

Archived