Neilsons new long term contract

Craigieboy

boabyarsebiscuit

Ha! Maybe not BB, but someone in that mould. Knows the game, can spot opposition changes in formation attitude and tactics. No names spring to mind though.

Archie Knox? That's about all I have.

Sandy Clark. Or does Levein hate him too?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fear of failure is the CL/RN constant. For all his managerial positions how many Trophies has Levein won as

Manager? Or even as a player - oh! wait a minute what happened there? What happened with Scotland?

Avoiding failure does not lead to success - it usually leads to a bottling team and under no circumstances

is that acceptable. No pointers to last year - big league, big team, big matches is where we are now.
CL/RN need to turn round big match results now.

Again, it would be interesting to read Levein's record v old firm in his spells as Manager of Hearts/DunUtd

- how many wins?

I imagine that one of the first things that happens is you go out the cup and it's unlikely to end well for players and coach alike.

What would Levein do if a player didn't follow instructions ? What did Walter smith do ? Fergie ? Pep ?

You thinking its at all likely that a half time team talk and subsequent instructions from the touchline were ignored en masse ?

You thinking its possible that even one player decided "look, that's wrong. I am doing it this way" and would get away with it ?

You must also be thinking that several players have ignored instructions several times but they are stil here and playing regularly ? Since this scenario has happened several times in the last 18 months, funnily enough in big games most of the time.

I think it's more likely that the inexperienced head coach got the tactics wrong at half time and thought we would be best served sitting off, sitting deep and defending a 2 goal lead for 45 minutes, even though he knew full well we didn't deserve that 2 goal lead and in fact we had rarely been in the game in the first half. Maybe he shat it ? It's more likely IMO than one or more players simply ignoring instructions and doing their own thing and continuing to do their own thing for 45 minutes unchecked by the head coach.

If players really did ignore the half time instructions and continue to ignore what was coming from the touchline, then Nelison should go now, as should every player who did it.

For me thats very black and white, i dont see players ignoring instructions on masse i see players who have come out and not been able to adapt to the changes happening on the park. Djoum, Ozturk and Nicholson get injured, Cowie wasnt expected to play a full game and was tiring neither was Dauda and we are only left with 1 sub. As a result players are going backwards despite the managers best efforts to push them forward, this is psychological not wilful disregard of instruction.

Yes there is debate about playing Dauda, Oshinawa over Souttar and Cowie being in the team but im not one for putting the whole blame on Neilson.

We definitely needed a leader on the park to settle things down and we didnt have that.

There was an accumulation of factors that didnt help us, some can be laid at Neilson, some the players and some through ill fortune.

I just can't stand neilson from his arrogance to his lack of any tactical awareness. I think everybody knows levein is pulling the strings although the problem with the set up at hearts is any manager worth their salt will not work under a dof correct me if I am wrong didn't levein leave because of that very reason. I also believe we are only after 6ft hoofers who have no technical ability if I had my way I would have Paul Hartley or tommy wright as manager. The decision to get rid of Jason holt and put billy king on loan was a disgrace makes you wonder maybe Nicholson's days are numbered so Robbie neilson average player and a average manager in my opinion.

Should you not be spending your time writing letters to the authorities? Best of luck versus Dundee Utd next season...

Sandy Clark. Or does Levein hate him too?

Did Clark not get sacked from Killie for punching a youth team player? Or something of that sort...

I made my mind up about neilson months ago we are a match for Aberdeen so why are we third because of neilson's negative tactics how many points have we lost due to defending leads. We have the most exciting team in the premier league. I am still furious at the second half performance you must realise we were kicking the ball up the park from the start of the second half. I want to see the passion back we don't get beat by the wee team it is a mindset I fear hibs do not fear us anymore. We would of never have drew that match had levein,locke or Jefferies been in that dressing room maybe neilson can't motivate these players in the big games. WIN AT ALL COSTS FOR WE ARE THE BIG TEAM.

Bridge of Djoum

I made my mind up about neilson months ago we are a match for Aberdeen so why are we third because of neilson's negative tactics how many points have we lost due to defending leads. We have the most exciting team in the premier league. I am still furious at the second half performance you must realise we were kicking the ball up the park from the start of the second half. I want to see the passion back we don't get beat by the wee team it is a mindset I fear hibs do not fear us anymore. We would of never have drew that match had levein,locke or Jefferies been in that dressing room maybe neilson can't motivate these players in the big games. WIN AT ALL COSTS FOR WE ARE THE BIG TEAM.

I've read each of your 6 posts, each one has given me a headache.

Punctuation, dear fellow.

Have you not got a 2013 Thumb colouring in book you could be getting on with?

Hold on a second are we dorgetting something? Yes that game was absolutely absurd and yes it was a terrible terrible piece of tactics but Nielson has had 1 and a half years in a professional job. His forst year he annihilated a league containg sevco and hibs. He beought in his players and played some of the best football seen at Tynie in a long time. Second season he has us third in the league from being promoted and you are calling for his head now?! After 1 game?! We are still in the cup and still fighting for third, are you not forgetting we we fighting to BE a club? Look at our progress and stop jumping to conclusions. I dont believe its entirely Robbies fault. Look at Levein and tell me he hasnt something to do with negative tactics.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hold on a second are we dorgetting something? Yes that game was absolutely absurd and yes it was a terrible terrible piece of tactics but Nielson has had 1 and a half years in a professional job. His forst year he annihilated a league containg sevco and hibs. He beought in his players and played some of the best football seen at Tynie in a long time. Second season he has us third in the league from being promoted and you are calling for his head now?! After 1 game?! We are still in the cup and still fighting for third, are you not forgetting we we fighting to BE a club? Look at our progress and stop jumping to conclusions. I dont believe its entirely Robbies fault. Look at Levein and tell me he hasnt something to do with negative tactics.

Apologies for my spelling but was sent on my terrible phone haha.

Robbies tactics need to be understood and implemented by the players.  We were'nt really at the races in terms of individual performances and a performance as a team.  Is that all down to Robbie? It's not.  

I could go through the whole team with the exception of Augustyn and pick faults at various points in the game where they made poor decisions, decisions that were crucial to the result.  These are individual errors and at times collective errors as a team.  Some people need to realise that we are still learning and building in our first season back in the top flight.  We slotted two players in to a derby that had never even kicked a ball for hearts before.  We lost Bauben early doors, we then lost Oz, we had no Osman Sow.  We never got the rub of the green over the 90 minutes but are still very much in the tie. 

For me thats very black and white, i dont see players ignoring instructions on masse i see players who have come out and not been able to adapt to the changes happening on the park. Djoum, Ozturk and Nicholson get injured, Cowie wasnt expected to play a full game and was tiring neither was Dauda and we are only left with 1 sub. As a result players are going backwards despite the managers best efforts to push them forward, this is psychological not wilful disregard of instruction.

Yes there is debate about playing Dauda, Oshinawa over Souttar and Cowie being in the team but im not one for putting the whole blame on Neilson.

We definitely needed a leader on the park to settle things down and we didnt have that.

There was an accumulation of factors that didnt help us, some can be laid at Neilson, some the players and some through ill fortune.

The injuries didn't help. There is merit in that view.

Not being able to adapt to instructions. Not having that one.

Our pressing game. Not hugely effective in the first half. Was non existent in the second half. Was that a tactical decision or were we just knackered as unit because we had to select so many new/injured/not match fit players. Certainly possible we were knackered but surprising. To me that's partly a team selection mistake to have so many starting with those issues.

Did we forget it was a Derby and think the game was done at half time ? That's certainly possible in the back of the minds of the players. and you lose a yard just by thinking the job is done. It's unforgivable if the coaching staff thought that though. Both have played in enough derbies to realise the other team will usually come back at you at some point. The fans demand it.

And so, we have another chance and we are still measurably the better squad of the two, no doubts on that score. There is also no doubt that they have picked up a couple of useful players along the way who need a bit of looking after. Mainly IMO we need to learn quickly what a derby is and how to win it. We need to see what mistakes were made and correct them before the replay. We need to play 11 fit, focussed and ready men with a game plan and a plan B. We need a bit of inspiration from somewhere or someone. Neilson and Levein are simply not coming across as the inspirational types. They are thinkers. Some would say they are over thinkers.

I think John Robertson should be in and around the first team coaching staff. That might help.

Anyway. What's done is done and we have a second bite we barely deserved. Let's make sure we take it. Because whatever way you look at it, going out the cup to this mob is unforgivable !!

Jambo On Fire

I've just watched the game again. I was as disappointed as anyone after Sunday but I reckon that the 2nd half on Sunday was the worst half of football I think we've played all season. It wasn't to do with Hibs raising their game, we just repeatedly gifted them possession through, mainly, unforced errors every time we got the ball and absolutely nothing came off for us. The players looked like they were going through the motions and probably thought the game was in the bag. Unacceptable, yes but I don't think we should hold any fear when going to Easter Road as we're more than capable of beating them if we play to our usual levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John mcCartney

some pertinent points here on page 6,which we cannot ignore.

we do need a leader on the pitch

ive been looking at the players coming out after halftime all season and there aint much bonding goin on lets ****ing face it

The B Prentice

Totally agree about needing a leader ... I'm not sure there is anyone in the squad that is a natural captain; possibly Paterson?

The injuries didn't help. There is merit in that view.

Not being able to adapt to instructions. Not having that one.

Our pressing game. Not hugely effective in the first half. Was non existent in the second half. Was that a tactical decision or were we just knackered as unit because we had to select so many new/injured/not match fit players. Certainly possible we were knackered but surprising. To me that's partly a team selection mistake to have so many starting with those issues.

Did we forget it was a Derby and think the game was done at half time ? That's certainly possible in the back of the minds of the players. and you lose a yard just by thinking the job is done. It's unforgivable if the coaching staff thought that though. Both have played in enough derbies to realise the other team will usually come back at you at some point. The fans demand it.

And so, we have another chance and we are still measurably the better squad of the two, no doubts on that score. There is also no doubt that they have picked up a couple of useful players along the way who need a bit of looking after. Mainly IMO we need to learn quickly what a derby is and how to win it. We need to see what mistakes were made and correct them before the replay. We need to play 11 fit, focussed and ready men with a game plan and a plan B. We need a bit of inspiration from somewhere or someone. Neilson and Levein are simply not coming across as the inspirational types. They are thinkers. Some would say they are over thinkers.

I think John Robertson should be in and around the first team coaching staff. That might help.

Anyway. What's done is done and we have a second bite we barely deserved. Let's make sure we take it. Because whatever way you look at it, going out the cup to this mob is unforgivable !!

Cant disagree with any of that.

:cornette:

Please don't do it Ann.

FFS. Please don't do it.

This is the only post I'm reading on this thread. I would hope you've been called out on your statement.

Utter joke of a post and sums up quite a lot of attention seekers on here.

Totally agree about needing a leader ... I'm not sure there is anyone in the squad that is a natural captain; possibly Paterson?

Augustyn. But it looks like he is leaving.

The difference is Stubbs has the full backing of the Hibs fans,they love him,there is a relationship between manager and fans.

Neilson on the other hand  more often than not now pisses fans off,bores and frustrates more fans with each passing week and

apart from the Ozturk goal has shown no personality at all.

Neilson on the other hand  more often than not now pisses fans off,bores and frustrates more fans with each passing week and

That's also the difference between Neilson and Locke. Not that I am advocating Locke over Neilson, but the cool collected suave approach maybe isn't the right fit for a derby, or any big game come to that.

Francis Albert

I don't know whether it was on this thread or on another that someone raised the question of what our style of play is, or is aiming to be. I know any style has to adapt to circumstances, including the opposition, but all good well managed sides have a way in which they aim to play if they can.

When the most recent batch of Academy graduates first came through you could see something of the way they'd been taught to play by the now dismissed and derided Academy staff. Quick fast moving passing football with players running off the ball. When it worked it was a

delight to watch. It's a pity that these players didn't get the opportunity to develop alongside better experience players than Hamill, Stevenson and Wilson and under better managers than McGlynn (who at least gave them their first chances) and Locke.

I really have no idea what our preferred style is these days. You see occasional passages of quick passing play and movement. You see a lot of passages of lumping long balls forward. You see a lot of static stuff with sideways and backwards passes, often followed by a long punt forward. Some of the last two styles last all game.

Set pieces and throw-ins are mostly wasted. Hibs balls from corners and set pieces were superior to ours from the start on Sunday.

The difference is Stubbs has the full backing of the Hibs fans,they love him,there is a relationship between manager and fans.

Neilson on the other hand more often than not now pisses fans off,bores and frustrates more fans with each passing week and

Yeah the 6-0 match was really boring right enough. Alan Stubbs is an absolute slaver who runs his mouth in the press constantly and look how that ended up for him against Rangers. In Robbie we have a manager who acts professionally, who is committed and has been successful.

Threads like this make a mockery of this forum. Who are folk really suggesting we can get next as manager to improve us?

Some folk call themselves Hearts fans yet are quick to state we will lose against Ross County and Hibs. Stop trying to be fashionable by predicting Hearts defeats, it's boring! Are there any Hearts fans even left on this board or just trolls and slavers?

Yes the hibs result was disappointing but Neilson is a clever man, he will learn I have no doubt.

It took a good few games against Celtic and Aberdeen to get the approach right and I'm sure he will get it right next Tuesday.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This is the only post I'm reading on this thread. I would hope you've been called out on your statement.

Utter joke of a post and sums up quite a lot of attention seekers on here.

I think there's a valid argument to say that the club should be careful about how long they tie Neilson down for. Need to make sure that they don't over-estimate his worth or his potential.

I think there's a valid argument to say that the club should be careful about how long they tie Neilson down for. Need to make sure that they don't over-estimate his worth or his potential.

Take out the championship season and Neilson is no better than an average league manager. At this stage, even including last season, he's a pretty poor big game manager ( 2 games apart)and a dreadful cup manager ( 1 game apart)

I think he's living on last seasons potential at this stage and whilst I would certainly give him next season, I wouldn't contract him beyond that. There is room for improvement and if he doesn't show improvement in a reasonable time frame (like the rest of this season and the whole of next) then he has to go, its a simple and as harsh and as cruel as that.

I wouldn't contract him beyond Summer 2017.

Half time pie

Robbie perpetually plays a defensive second half if we go in at half time in front. Its like watching two different sides! When we should be coming out for more goals and to finish off the opposition, we just sit back and protect the goals we have. You cant play football like that and get consistent, winning results and the opposition know that. Hibs knew that we would sit back second half and defend the lead so they came out guns blazing and played football.

He shows it more than most. Ozturk leads his back line well but doesn't drive the team on. Paterson was like a man possessed when they got a goal back. Fired himself. Need more of an attitude like this to get through the coming games.

However, I'd argue we've lacked a natural captain for a few seasons now.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

This thread has really picked up since the Family Guy gifs. Superb. I so wish IJ was still here to tell us more about this 90% rule and maybe give us another 50 similes about jobbies.

JamboJohn1874

On balance I would suggest he's still the man for the job and taking us forward, however it's quite clear from this thread that the honeymoon period with the fans is over.

What really annoys me with him,is that he is clearly capable of putting out an exceptional attacking team, he just continues to have this maddening habit of tinkering or trying to hold a lead.

With the exception of Aberdeen and Hibs at home most of our games have not actually been too bad. I think what really highlights were the problems lie is when we are on our travels.

Fans going to all the away games often see a different Hearts. This one takes far fewer chances, it's more determined to hold a lead and it thinks of a big defence and midfield first. This might seem ok to many, however a high tempo attacking game is where excel, nothing else.

Neilson must learn and stop bottling it.

I dont want to read Neilson saying that all Hearts want to do is develop players and let them go on to "bigger and better" things,

I want him to let players know how lucky they are to play for this amazing football club and should do everything in their power

to win every time they cross that white line for themselves and the fans who saved this club and still contribute to the running of

the club above and beyond the call of duty.

Francis Albert

I am not convinced of the value of a long term contract for any manager. It's not like a player when you can secure a large multiple of his value/salary through a future transfer fee. If he is successful at best you get a fraction of his future contracted salary when inevitably a bigger club comes along. If he is unsuccessful you have to buy out all of his future salary to get rid of him.

I dont want to read Neilson saying that all Hearts want to do is develop players and let them go on to "bigger and better" things,

I want him to let players know how lucky they are to play for this amazing football club and should do everything in their power

to win every time they cross that white line for themselves and the fans who saved this club and still contribute to the running of

This

Bungalow Bill

I want him to let players know how lucky they are to play for this amazing football club and should do everything in their power

I think this is where things could potentially change when FoH take ownership. We'll have to elect a board based on their vision for the club.

Candidate 1 might be all about the academy and development.

Candidate 2 might say the priority is winning a trophy and they're going to spend all the money we generate in order to do it.

This is how I see it in the future. Who knows though.

Winston Ingram

I am not convinced of the value of a long term contract for any manager. It's not like a player when you can secure a large multiple of his value/salary through a future transfer fee. If he is successful at best you get a fraction of his future contracted salary when inevitably a bigger club comes along. If he is unsuccessful you have to buy out all of his future salary to get rid of him.

Not how things should work in reality, though. There are now routine compensation sums written into contracts (for example for EPL club, championship club etc come to prise the manager away) and a year's salary (a la Moyes at United) is pretty standard for a pay off. There are exceptions but these are badly done deals where the manager had the club over a barrel at the time of issue. Also, a long-term deal for management shows stability which can influence players for same.

Re "bigger and better things"... if a player's aspiration is playing for Hearts and Hearts alone, he probably isn't going to be much use to us. The same applies to coaches. That's hardly a slight on our club, it's basic reality of football and where Scottish teams sit in it. 

Francis Albert

Not how things should work in reality, though. There are now routine compensation sums written into contracts (for example for EPL club, championship club etc come to prise the manager away) and a year's salary (a la Moyes at United) is pretty standard for a pay off. There are exceptions but these are badly done deals where the manager had the club over a barrel at the time of issue. Also, a long-term deal for management shows stability which can influence players for same.

Re "bigger and better things"... if a player's aspiration is playing for Hearts and Hearts alone, he probably isn't going to be much use to us. The same applies to coaches. That's hardly a slight on our club, it's basic reality of football and where Scottish teams sit in it. 

It's not really much of a long term contract if you can sack him at the cost of a one year pay off. And presumably another club can come in and take him at the cost of one year's salary. I am not sure how that shows stability. You've just defined the terms of the club getting rid or him moving on.

Francis Albert

I think this is where things could potentially change when FoH take ownership. We'll have to elect a board based on their vision for the club.

Candidate 1 might be all about the academy and development.

Candidate 2 might say the priority is winning a trophy and they're going to spend all the money we generate in order to do it.

This is how I see it in the future. Who knows though.

I hope any candidate who took such a black and white, not to say simplistic, view would fail. 

In any event I think the FoH board (which is what we'd be (partly) electing would be a lot more hands off than you suggest and would be delegating to an appointed professional club CEO and board and approving a business plan that was ... well more of a plan than the simple alternatives that you suggest,

Bungalow Bill

I hope any candidate who took such a black and white, not to say simplistic, view would fail.

In any event I think the FoH board (which is what we'd be (partly) electing would be a lot more hands off than you suggest and would be delegating to an appointed professional club CEO and board and approving a business plan that was ... well more of a plan than the simple alternatives that you suggest,

You'll appreciate that on a chat forum it's quite hard to put across exactly what I'm getting at.

My point is really that we'll be deciding the direction of the club by electing those to run it based on what they propose. I wasn't going to right out two fictitious manifestos to simply the point I was trying to make.

I didn't think I'd have to explain the above.

Francis Albert

You'll appreciate that on a chat forum it's quite hard to put across exactly what I'm getting at.

My point is really that we'll be deciding the direction of the club by electing those to run it based on what they propose. I wasn't going to right out two fictitious manifestos to simply the point I was trying to make.

I didn't think I'd have to explain the above.

Fair enough. I was only saying your example was simplistic, which you have confirmed.

I think things will be more complicated and less hands on than electing FoH board members with manifestos for the direction of the club.

But until we see the governance arrangements (aaaargghh there goes that old nitpicker again) none of us really know.

Malinga the Swinga

Nobody, but nobody could care less if you are furious. You are correct in one thing and one thing only. We would not have drawn match against Hibs under Locke, we would never even have played them as we would have been turfed out in last round v Aberdeen. We would still be in championship with crowds dropping, players like Boyd, Hamill and Robinson turning out, and we wouldn't have heard of Sow, Pallardo, Djoum to name but three.

Malinga the Swinga

I just can't stand neilson from his arrogance to his lack of any tactical awareness. I think everybody knows levein is pulling the strings although the problem with the set up at hearts is any manager worth their salt will not work under a dof correct me if I am wrong didn't levein leave because of that very reason. I also believe we are only after 6ft hoofers who have no technical ability if I had my way I would have Paul Hartley or tommy wright as manager. The decision to get rid of Jason holt and put billy king on loan was a disgrace makes you wonder maybe Nicholson's days are numbered so Robbie neilson average player and a average manager in my opinion.

Changed mind since commenting on your last post. You are a muppet. That is all.

Malinga the Swinga

Tin hat on. I think he's a bad manager. Can't compete with teams on a similar budget in head-to-heads. Bad in-game management, e.g. confusion yesterday getting his message across on the 5 man midfield change. Throwing away leads on a regular basis. Letting players go on loan we could be using in games right now (e.g. use Gomis / King up at Dingwall, vs. Partick, in a 3 game in 6 day period).I'd grant if you had a team down in the Championship with a better budget than pretty much all your competitors he might make a good choice and would probably get you the playoffs.

There is just so much wrong with this post that it is hard to know where to begin. Safe to say, the middle bit of your name describe you correctly. Given your lack of intelligence, you should be congratulated for being able to type, although perhaps your carer did this for you. Why not go and support someone else if you think he is doing such a bad job and come back once one of your better managers get the job.

Malinga the Swinga

BBCSportsound: Robbie Neilson "It's disappointing not to go through but it's a great money spinner for both clubs & another full house in 10 days time"

:rofl:

Bye Robbie.

You used to post decent stuff and it is a disappointment to see you reduced to this garbage.

Francis Albert

You used to post decent stuff and it is a disappointment to see you reduced to this garbage.

To be fair apart from the "Bye Robbie" the garbage is a quote from Robbie.

Malinga the Swinga

To be fair apart from the "Bye Robbie" the garbage is a quote from Robbie.

It was the bye Robbie that I meant. Attention seeking drivel from someone trying to act so smart but ending up looking like a little spoiled child.

Archived