Neilsons new long term contract

Craigieboy

jamboinglasgow

So why did the players ignore Robbie's urgings? And the game plan he presumably set out for the players before the game and at HT, whatever it was?

And "pushing out several times" was hardly an adequate response to how the game was going. We needed a completely different approach.

Players can panic and play within themselves. This is where you need leaders on the pitch who can act and direct others. I think that's why we brought Cowie but he was too off the pace. Losing Ozturk was a big blow though Augustyn tried to lead.

I think the players are feeling they let themselves down. They are lucky that Robbie is facing the flack but I do think they felt hurt from that and it will be used to drive their performances, particularly in the replay.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players can panic and play within themselves. This is where you need leaders on the pitch who can act and direct others. I think that's why we brought Cowie but he was too off the pace. Losing Ozturk was a big blow though Augustyn tried to lead.

I think the players are feeling they let themselves down. They are lucky that Robbie is facing the flack but I do think they felt hurt from that and it will be used to drive their performances, particularly in the replay.

When Ozturk went off, if he had handed the armband to Paterson we might not be discussing this. You don't go handing out the captaincy to players who have no idea what your club is all about and who will forget they were ever here the minute they walk out the door. You give it to guys who bleed maroon. I hope Paterson is captain next season.

You make a decent point about leadership but this isn't the first time we've fallen right out of a game we were in charge of. Certainly in terms of the score we were in charge at half time yesterday. People, be they players or coaches, made decisions and errors at half time and beyond which cost us the game. First and foremost that has to be recognised and corrected I time for the replay

This is ridiculous.

I'm yet to see what Neilson has done wrong.

Romped the league last year and are currently sitting in 3rd in the league which is incredible to see how far the team has come. Fair enough he got it wrong yesterday but we're still in the cup and unbeaten in 8 games now.

I fail to see how this is a failure? He's done a good job so far.

As the point has been made already.. Who'd be get who is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we had set pieces in the second half we barely put any bodies forward. I don't believe this was anything other than an instruction from the dugout. But you are correct, the players did not play well 2nd half at all. Poor performance all round and one I hope we learn from, again.

I'm not overestimating our talent. I agree,3rd place is probably where we should be, but we should be winning more games and be closer to Aberdeen. Our away performances have been pretty poor, particularly first half of games. Our discipline is also shocking and has been for ages without much noticeable improvement.

A wee but more belief and adventure and we'd have turned a few draws into victories, and won convincingly on Sunday.

On numerous occasions we have been in winning positions only to lose a late equaliser.

Not through pushing for the clinching goal I might add - but sitting back and trying to defend what we had.  Yesterday was another shocking example!

The bottom line is that Neilson and Levein were defenders and have a defenders psychology.  IMO that leads to a "let's hold on to what we have" tactics. 

boabyarsebiscuit

This is ridiculous.

Romped the league last year and are currently sitting in 3rd in the league which is incredible to see how far the team has come. Fair enough he got it wrong yesterday but we're still in the cup and unbeaten in 8 games now.

Derek McInnes

Peter Houston

And I could mention another but I won't

Apologies if its been mentioned but apparently Hearts have conceded more goals in the last 15 minutes of a game than at any other time. That cant be a coincidence - lack of fitness maybe, or an unwillingness to try and finish teams off alongside an attitude of 'we hold what we have'.

I believe many of the 'pantwetters' after yesterday's game (myself included) were not only justifiably peed off by the result but by the performance - a performance which has been mirrored in other games (Aberdeen away, Kilmarnock and Dundee at home spring to my mind.

Yesterday wasnt a 'bad day office' that can be shrugged off - it was symptomatic of the philosophy we seem to have in certain games.

I cant always see what our plan is - footballing wise.

Apologies if its been mentioned but apparently Hearts have conceded more goals in the last 15 minutes of a game than at any other time. That cant be a coincidence - lack of fitness maybe, or an unwillingness to try and finish teams off alongside an attitude of 'we hold what we have'.

I believe many of the 'pantwetters' after yesterday's game (myself included) were not only justifiably peed off by the result but by the performance - a performance which has been mirrored in other games (Aberdeen away, Kilmarnock and Dundee at home spring to my mind.

Yesterday wasnt a 'bad day office' that can be shrugged off - it was symptomatic of the philosophy we seem to have in certain games.

I cant always see what our plan is - footballing wise.

It can't be lack of fitness, we train harder than everyone else in the country don't we?

This is ridiculous.

All this 'romped the league last year' stuff  should be binned when defending Robbie IMO. Yes he did a pretty good job, but at a lower league level that he is at just now. 3rd place isn't a bad place to be, but you should be looking at the window of opportunity Scottish Football is going through right now, with a poor Celtic team and an average Aberdeen team not that far above us. We've chucked away points this season that could have us right up there and we've chucked almost every one of those points away through fear tactics and lack of ambition and lack of killer instinct.

Yesterday, the 3rd goal was vital as it always is at 2-0. That's a basic but true football clich? right there. Teams and managers with confidence, bottle and ambition go for the 3rd. Teams with fear and caution sit back and try and hold out. You see that sort of team getting caught all the time. You don't see teams recovering from 3-0 down very often.

Yesterday was an abject failure considering where we were at half time and we're pretty lucky to still be in the cup. Going out is still unacceptable by the way and if we do, its mostly Neilsons fault IMO.

Who is better than Neilson who we'd realistically be able to get ? Well quite often you don't know who is going to fit your club and do well for you so its not easy. I'd say someone like Stuart McCall or John Hughes or Paulo Sergio or McInnes would probably be a better bet at this stage.

Happy to give Neilson more time obviously as he is young, but he needs to start learning and developing and taking the next step. At the moment he looks like he has reached the maximum point of his ability and he MIGHT toil to go much further than comfortable 3rd 4th. We wont win this cup even if we do get past Hibs. Teams that play like us under Neilson don't win the Scottish Cup.He needs to be a bit more positive and a bit more 'We are Hearts and we fear no-one' as someone once said (Oh yes it was him !!!)

So what is it:

We have signed shite players - that's why we're crap

Or

We have great players - so it's the management and tactics

I suppose the alternative is we have OK players and OK management and we're doing OK.

FFS. I am as pissed as anyone about yesterday and some of this is expectedly OTT. From the Aberdeen game we were missing Sow and Rossi arguably the two most influential players. Then by not long after half time we were down Oz and prince and Djoum had been hobbled. Three players you could argue some of the better players remaining. None of this is Neilsons fault. He was forced to play two debutant for next to 90 mins when I doubt either would have been ready for 60mins. They still couldn't beat us.

We ARE still in the cup and are comfortably 3rd in the league.

FFS. I am as pissed as anyone about yesterday and some of this is expectedly OTT. From the Aberdeen game we were missing Sow and Rossi arguably the two most influential players. Then by not long after half time we were down Oz and prince and Djoum had been hobbled. Three players you could argue some of the better players remaining. None of this is Neilsons fault. He was forced to play two debutant for next to 90 mins when I doubt either would have been ready for 60mins. They still couldn't beat us.

We ARE still in the cup and are comfortably 3rd in the league.

2-0 up at half time against lower league opposition and we didn't go through. Someone sure as hell carries the can for that. Its not just hey ho bad luck.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

What a cracking thread !

Blood, snotters, foam, Crayons, the works.

:rofl:

I would give Robbie a 5 year deal, good statement of intent.

2-0 up at half time against lower league opposition and we didn't go through. Someone sure as hell carries the can for that. Its not just hey ho bad luck.

The players left on the pitch should be ashamed of themselves it was shambolic. No way did Neilson tell them to pump the ball as far as they could for the last twenty mins. If Oz was fit and Djoum hadn't been deliberately injured we would be through now. The players shat it. The strength in depth of the squad could be directed at Neilson.

Rudolf's Mate

This is ridiculous.

I like Robbie and I'm a fan however to say you can't see he's done anything wrong is bizarre. Yes the team has to take responsibility but ultimately so does the manager.

We're third and I don't see us relinquishing that to anyone. Despite this, for the large part our performances this season have been grim even though we've managed to grind out results. This has followed on from a large part of the later stages of last season. It was accepted because we were winning games plus we'd shown in the first half of the season what we were capable of. We keep hoping that performance wise we've turned the corner yet for every step forward we seem to take two back.

We're fairly understanding fans, we've had to be however I wonder what people would be saying if it was someone else in charge. Someone who hadn't been part of a cup winning team nor played for us.

The players left on the pitch should be ashamed of themselves it was shambolic. No way did Neilson tell them to pump the ball as far as they could for the last twenty mins. If Oz was fit and Djoum hadn't been deliberately injured we would be through now. The players shat it. The strength in depth of the squad could be directed at Neilson.

I agree with that. But here's a thing. If Neilson gave them instructions which were ignored, then he hasn't got the dressing room. That's vital IMO

I agree with that. But here's a thing. If Neilson gave them instructions which were ignored, then he hasn't got the dressing room. That's vital IMO

If Robbie did not tell the players to sit back and protect our lead then serious words need to be getting said at Riccsrton today, although doubt that would do much to change what would be an alarming lack of character and belief in the squad.

If Robbie did not tell the players to sit back and protect our lead then serious words need to be getting said at Riccsrton today, although doubt that would do much to change what would be an alarming lack of character and belief in the squad.

There's a difference between sitting deep and counter attack, which I imagine the instructions were and shitting your pants when the ball comes near you. This is where players like cowie are valuable unless they are knackered. The plan was probably cowrie on for last 20 to sure things up.

Lack of character is something I think has been identified, hence the cowie signing.

Lack of character is something I think has been identified, hence the cowie signing.

It was interesting that as soon as Hibs equalised Cowie was in the thick of it in the Hubs box trying desperately to get us a winner. With a bit of luck he'd have succeeded.

I like to think I'm reasonably patient & give people a chance, but I was really, really messed off yesterday. Decided to avoid posting in the immediate aftermath, but I'm still pretty messed off today. Neilson is young, inexperienced, developing and the rest of it, but that's several times this season we've lost a win, or been lucky not to, because he's allowed the team to sit in and try to close the game out far too early. The first half was shit and we were lucky to be two goals ahead. We were unlucky with what happened with Buaben and Ozturk, but Hibs lost McGeouch and their captain too and they didn't let it affect them. 

Sitting in and hoping to defend against Hibs for 45 minutes is laughable. I hate losing to them and I don't like being outplayed by them, but I cannot under any circumstances abide us being outfought by them, and yesterday we were. We sat back, let their ball players have possession and hoped for the best. Nobody got near Henderson or McGinn, and when the midfield was outnumbered, he removed a striker and stuck him on the right wing even though we learned months ago that he can't play there. Negative, passive shite, and inevitably it backfired on us. Same as against Dundee. Same as against Kilmarnock.  

Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to learn from them. Neilson isn't showing signs of doing that - he's making the same ones over and over. It's unattractive to watch and his removed, dispassionate pish about money spinning and being disappointed doesn't help either. Maybe he's trying to protect the players, but it doesn't come over well. 

I like to think I'm reasonably patient & give people a chance, but I was really, really messed off yesterday. Decided to avoid posting in the immediate aftermath, but I'm still pretty messed off today. Neilson is young, inexperienced, developing and the rest of it, but that's several times this season we've lost a win, or been lucky not to, because he's allowed the team to sit in and try to close the game out far too early. The first half was shit and we were lucky to be two goals ahead. We were unlucky with what happened with Buaben and Ozturk, but Hibs lost McGeouch and their captain too and they didn't let it affect them.

Sitting in and hoping to defend against Hibs for 45 minutes is laughable. I hate losing to them and I don't like being outplayed by them, but I cannot under any circumstances abide us being outfought by them, and yesterday we were. We sat back, let their ball players have possession and hoped for the best. Nobody got near Henderson or McGinn, and when the midfield was outnumbered, he removed a striker and stuck him on the right wing even though we learned months ago that he can't play there. Negative, passive shite, and inevitably it backfired on us. Same as against Dundee. Same as against Kilmarnock.

Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to learn from them. Neilson isn't showing signs of doing that - he's making the same ones over and over. It's unattractive to watch and his removed, dispassionate pish about money spinning and being disappointed doesn't help either. Maybe he's trying to protect the players, but it doesn't come over well.

You make a good point. It's one thing camping on the edge of our own box, but given we had 10 players in such a small area I was utterly bemused that Hibs players were left in space time and time again. We were completely static.

Bungalow Bill

Do you think Robbie doesn't have the dressing room? I've never thought that so it's interesting that some folk think this.

Me personally, these things happen in football. Sometimes we have to accept we didn't play well. I'm not for sacking the manager every time we don't win or play well. We'd have a different manager every other month. (I'm not saying this is your view). I've generally been impressed with Neilson, I like the way he goes about things.

Do you think Robbie doesn't have the dressing room? I've never thought that so it's interesting that some folk think this.

Me personally, these things happen in football. Sometimes we have to accept we didn't play well. I'm not for sacking the manager every time we don't win or play well. We'd have a different manager every other month. (I'm not saying this is your view). I've generally been impressed with Neilson, I like the way he goes about things.

N0 I think he has the dressing room. I don't think players ignored instructions. I think they did what they were told to do. What they were told to do was wrong.

Bungalow Bill

N0 I think he has the dressing room. I don't think players ignored instructions. I think they did what they were told to do. What they were told to do was wrong.

Djoum's comments would suggest the players didn't do what they were told. The players need to take responsibility, the manager can only do so much.

This is ridiculous.

Do you think playing Nicholson from the start when he required support straps on his leg was a smart thing to do?

We needed someone to hold the ball up front for us in the 2nd half. Juanma should have been brought on.

Our squad is now much weaker after the transfer window. It was crazy to let King and Gomis go out on loan and we came very close to losing McGhee.

We were told we were looking for an additional striker in the transfer window, we didn't get one and still lack cover in this position.

We will be lucky to hold on to third.

Djoum's comments would suggest the players didn't do what they were told. The players need to take responsibility, the manager can only do so much.

Robbie said in an interview after the game that the team were sitting to far back. He new what was happening, the trick is how do you get that message to the team especially when the captain is off injured and the team is missing some key players who could influence the game.

Bungalow Bill

Robbie said in an interview after the game that the team were sitting to far back. He new what was happening, the trick is how do you get that message to the team especially when the captain is off injured and the team is missing some key players who could influence the game.

You make a good point.

Cant be arsed reading through more misery but i see Djoum confirms the players werent told to sit in and doesnt know why they did 2nd half.

With the injuries as well im not sure what RN can do if the players wont push up??

Edit see its been covered

Francis Albert

Are you aware that Stevie Crawford delivers the half time talk?

Is this serious or just a variant of the theory that Craig Levein does?

Aye ? No shit Robbie.

From 30 yards away you couldn't communicate to the team to step up 10-15 yards and put pressure on the ball ? FFS the more that comes out of his mouth the worse it gets.

I sincerely hope he was talking shite. I wouldn't want Stevie Crawford delivering my Evening News far less the half time team talk. What's Robbie doing when this team talk is being delivered ? ( don't answer that)

Do you think playing Nicholson from the start when he required support straps on his leg was a smart thing to do?

We needed someone to hold the ball up front for us in the 2nd half. Juanma should have been brought on.

Our squad is now much weaker after the transfer window. It was crazy to let King and Gomis go out on loan and we came very close to losing McGhee.

We were told we were looking for an additional striker in the transfer window, we didn't get one and still lack cover in this position.

We will be lucky to hold on to third.

Well Nicolson got a goal. Ok his all round performance wasn't great but a goal justifies his inclusion as it was a great strike.

And I agree regarding Juanma, Gomis and King. But as far as I'm aware Gomis and King wanted away as they were not guaranteed starts for us and I don't think keeping a player at a club against their will is a good idea. However the lack of adequate replacement is concerning.

In the end though, we are 3rd in the league. I would have bitten your arm off if we had been offered 3rd at the start of the season. I can understand why RN is getting slated after yesterday however, big picture. 3rd place, 8 games unbeaten. I personally feel it's an overreaction to say he doesn't deserve a new deal or even more bizarrely, some wanting rid of him which I personally just cannot understand.

I just can't stand neilson from his arrogance to his lack of any tactical awareness. I think everybody knows levein is pulling the strings although the problem with the set up at hearts is any manager worth their salt will not work under a dof correct me if I am wrong didn't levein leave because of that very reason. I also believe we are only after 6ft hoofers who have no technical ability if I had my way I would have Paul Hartley or tommy wright as manager. The decision to get rid of Jason holt and put billy king on loan was a disgrace makes you wonder maybe Nicholson's days are numbered so Robbie neilson average player and a average manager in my opinion.

Seymour M Hersh

Yes. Possibly easier for them to unnerstawn!

Seymour M Hersh

Aye ? No shit Robbie.

From 30 yards away you couldn't communicate to the team to step up 10-15 yards and put pressure on the ball ? FFS the more that comes out of his mouth the worse it gets.

People have pointed out he was trying to urge them forward for most of the half. I'm not sure exactly what more you think he could do from the sideline. The more you type the worse it gets.

Seymour M Hersh

I just can't stand neilson from his arrogance to his lack of any tactical awareness. I think everybody knows levein is pulling the strings although the problem with the set up at hearts is any manager worth their salt will not work under a dof correct me if I am wrong didn't levein leave because of that very reason. I also believe we are only after 6ft hoofers who have no technical ability if I had my way I would have Paul Hartley or tommy wright as manager. The decision to get rid of Jason holt and put billy king on loan was a disgrace makes you wonder maybe Nicholson's days are numbered so Robbie neilson average player and a average manager in my opinion.

The rotting corpse of an elephant would reek less than this.

Looking back, the outcome does seem inevitable given the way we played. I just can't fathom the meekness of the performance. Even if Robbie didn't ask them to sit back, he also didn't show much sign of encouraging the team forward. He needs to show his mettle now and get us through the replay.

Big_Hearts_Runner

....reading this I hope Ann stays in charge and the fans takeover doesn't come to fruition :facepalm:

Aye ? No shit Robbie.

And what happens when you do tell your players that and they still dont do it ??

And what happens when you do tell your players that and they still dont do it ??

I imagine that one of the first things that happens is you go out the cup and it's unlikely to end well for players and coach alike.

What would Levein do if a player didn't follow instructions ? What did Walter smith do ? Fergie ? Pep ?

You thinking its at all likely that a half time team talk and subsequent instructions from the touchline were ignored en masse ?

You thinking its possible that even one player decided "look, that's wrong. I am doing it this way" and would get away with it ?

You must also be thinking that several players have ignored instructions several times but they are stil here and playing regularly ? Since this scenario has happened several times in the last 18 months, funnily enough in big games most of the time.

I think it's more likely that the inexperienced head coach got the tactics wrong at half time and thought we would be best served sitting off, sitting deep and defending a 2 goal lead for 45 minutes, even though he knew full well we didn't deserve that 2 goal lead and in fact we had rarely been in the game in the first half. Maybe he shat it ? It's more likely IMO than one or more players simply ignoring instructions and doing their own thing and continuing to do their own thing for 45 minutes unchecked by the head coach.

If players really did ignore the half time instructions and continue to ignore what was coming from the touchline, then Nelison should go now, as should every player who did it.

The injuries played a major part in the way the game played out. I very much doubt Douda would've lasted much passed 60 mins if we had more than one sub available.

Ozturk. Bauben and Djoum are key players and the replacements were a guy who's never played for us. A left back who is hopeless and a guy who's only just back from a long injury lay off.

We lost our captain and experience with the injuries and predominately our shape. There isn't anything Neilson can do about injuries.

Nicholson didn't look fully up to speed and I don't think Douda should have started. Juanma and Reilly should have been the front two not that I think 442 was the right call.

Where neilson has to learn is hibs midfield have 4 times now bossed ours. He needs to get 5 in there and stop them playing through us. Get width into the team, put pressure on Stevenson at left back and stop gray constantly coming forward.

The Real Maroonblood

Dearie me.

Have a lie down in a dark room.

I'd give Robbie a new deal.

Under our system of management he's the right fit.

If I was to look at a new manager for the job going forward then I'd consider Tommy Wright, Peter Houston and Paul Hartley as the top three candidates for the job.

Won't need a list of candidates though as Robbie is and will be manager for some time

Bridge of Djoum

I think Neilson would benefit from a strong, older experienced Asst manager beside him. I don't think Levein has the influence over team affairs and tactics that many people think he does. IMO, RN is allowed to be his own man, making his own mistakes. And rightly so. I really feel with a wise old hand next to him, just to gently guide him, we could see a big improvement.

There ain't half some cack on here. Yesterday's second half was abysmal, but I still believe that Robbie is by far the best manager we could have right now. I would give him a new contract in a shot.

I think Neilson would benefit from a strong, older experienced Asst manager beside him. I don't think Levein has the influence over team affairs and tactics that many people think he does. IMO, RN is allowed to be his own man, making his own mistakes. And rightly so. I really feel with a wise old hand next to him, just to gently guide him, we could see a big improvement.

Mmm, I hear what you're saying... Billy Brown has been to places and has been a doer of things. He is old too. Think Levein kept his number?!?!?! :wink:

Bridge of Djoum

Mmm, I hear what you're saying... Billy Brown has been to places and has been a doer of things. He is old too. Think Levein kept his number?!?!?! :wink:

Ha! Maybe not BB, but someone in that mould. Knows the game, can spot opposition changes in formation attitude and tactics. No names spring to mind though.

Archie Knox? That's about all I have.

Archived