Will Romanov keep out of team selection matters?

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

Some views on this matter.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Will-Romanov-keep-out-of.4141340.jp

Will Romanov keep out of team selection matters?

? Previous ? PreviousNext ? Next ?View Gallery""It would be stupid to spend big then interfere and have a respectable manager walk out on us again" MARKSALMON, BROXBURN"Hearts' majority shareholders has vowed not to interfere when he brings in a new boss. But we asked the fans what they think ..

John Piper, Fife: "I don't trust Romanov to stop interfering in team affairs. At the end of the day, he pays the wages and he seems to think that he has a right to pick the side because of that. I don't think the club will ever be able to move forward as long as Romanov is in charge ? no matter who the new manager is."

Barry McGregor, Westburn: "I think that Romanov will keep out of team affairs this time. I think that he is willing to accept that he cannot pick the team any longer. Frail was given control in January and that definitely improved things and the morale was better too and I'm sure that Romanov noticed that. I expect he will give the new manager full control."

Andy Forbes, Clermiston,: "I just can't believe that a man who has interfered for two years and has been described by former players as a 'dictator' is suddenly going to turn into a good guy and let a manager have full control of the team. I'm sure that he'll insist on Vlad's favourites being wheeled into the side, week in, week out."

Joe Cowie, Musselburgh: "For me, there is still a big doubt about whether Romanov will keep his promise. I think that he might well be tempted to start interfering in team affairs, especially if the results aren't as good as we'd like at the start of the season. Hopefully, Ogilvie and the like can persuade Vlad to keep his nose out this time."

Paul Russell, Oxgangs: "I've actually got a good feeling that Romanov will stay out of the team affairs next season. I didn't think he could or would but, to a large extent, he proved us wrong when he let Stevie Frail get on with it at the turn of the year. Hopefully, Vlad will extend the same trust to the new man when he comes in."

Ewan Burnett, Prestonfield: "All the signs are good that Romanov is ready to take a backseat and let the manager pick the team. Why would he be prepared to pay ?350,000 a year to someone like Mark McGhee if he's not willing to hand over the reins in terms of team selection? That would be a big waste of money so I think Romanov is going to let the manager pick the side."

Scott Mason, Newington: "I can't see Romanov letting the manager have total control. He might be allowed to pick the players on a matchday but what will happen if there is a contractual dispute like we had with Webster and Tall? Will the manager be allowed to pick a player or will he be stopped again?"

Rab MacFarlane, Edinburgh: "There are a few signs that Vlad will leave picking the side to the new manager but I'll believe it when I see it, I'm afraid. We've been let down on too many occasions by Romanov and it will need a strong manager to come in for us to know for sure who picks the team. Someone like Jefferies won't be bullied by Vlad but if it's another Lithuanian puppet, we all know what's going on behind the scenes again."

Willie Toshack, Gilmerton: "I think that Campbell Ogilvie has been a good influence on Romanov and has made him realise that he needs to get the fans back onside after a shocking season. I think that Romanov will leave the new manager to get on with things ? and we will see a much better Hearts side because of that."

James Wilson, Edinburgh: "I've been fairly critical of Vladimir Romanov but, in all fairness, he has kept his promises since January and the fact that he approached McGhee shows he was serious about appointing a British-style manager and that is a good sign. It would make no sense to appoint a British manager and then interfere in team selection. Surely even Vlad can see that."

Richard Watson, Bonnyrigg: "I think had Mark McGhee been confident that he would be picking the Hearts team, he would have boarded the plane to Lithuania and we would have a new manager in place by now. However, Vlad obviously could not persuade him and I think that's a worrying sign for the future."

Peter Lovatt, Penicuik: "I'm not sure that Romanov will be able to resist for long and it wouldn't surprise me if he went back on his promise and started to interfere in the team selection again. He seemed to hand over control to Frail but then went back to his old ways towards the end of the season again."

John Hardie, Pencaitland: "Yes, I think that Vlad will hand over full control of team affairs to a new manager. I think Vlad has finally realised that the model he wanted to introduce won't work and that he has had to conform to a more "British style" of management. I think that will mean no interference when the new boss is in place."

Mark Salmon, Broxburn: "I expect Vladimir Romanov to hand over full control to the new manager because he is prepared to offer big wages to get a top manager in and it would be stupid to spend big and then interfere and have a respectable manager walk out on us again. If he did that, it really would be the final straw for Hearts fans and Vlad would have to go."

I suppose all we can do is wait and see, I would imagine he'll let the new manager pick the team for a few games, then get on his back if things aren't going well, will the new manager back down to him or stand up for what he believes in? If it's the latter, he'll either get the boot or resign, then we're back to square one....again!!!

Archived