Uk town/city breaks

Alan_R

Looking at going away with missus over night.

Looking for a nice wee town with few things to do and see.

Preferably on a train route from Edinburgh

Done York before that was perfect but fancy a change.

Suggestions?

Say What Again

Reading the first few lines of your post, I was going to suggest York....

Keeping it nearby, and cheap on the train, what about Durham?

Carl Fredrickson

I saw the thread title and had two in mind....York and Durham!

Others - Inverness, Lincoln and Chester. 

Inverness and Lincoln both have smallish decent concert venues that I have been to for gigs and made a weekend of it. Lincoln has a couple of historical sites - a castle and cathedral as well as a decent shopping area.

Chester is a nice historic town worth a visit

Berwick-upon-Tweed, Alnmouth, and Penrith are all nice places and within easy reach of Edinburgh by rail.

Berwick is a lively and historical town, with well-preserved town walls which you can walk around and many old and interesting buildings. There's a good bus network based there which you can use to get to various other places in Northumberland and Berwickshire.

Further south, Alnmouth is a small but very pretty coastal town, with great beaches within easy walking distances. It's also on the Northumberland coastal path, which heads both north and south from there. From Alnmouth, it's easy to catch a bus to the larger town of Alnwick, which is also interesting and historical, as is Warkworth a few miles to the south. You can also walk along the path to Warkworth and Amble, or north to Craster, if you enjoy a bit of fresh air and exercise. I'd recommend staying in Alnmouth, rather than these other places, simply as it's a lovely wee place. The Red Lion in the main street is a cracking pub!

In Cumbria, Penrith and its surroundings would also offer enough for a weekend break and the town itself has loads of pubs, caf?s, and places to eat. It's an old market town with many nice old buildings in the centre. First Trans Pennine run services from Edinburgh to there, but these might be disrupted due to the closure, until next month, of the line between Glasgow and Carlisle for repairs.

If you're looking for much in the way of nightlife or sophisticated restaurants, then these are maybe not for you, but if you like smaller, characterful, places then you could do a lot worse.

My laddies just been accepted into Durham uni to do his masters, starts the beginning of October for a full year, so I imagine we will be having a few weekends there.

If it's a nice wee town with a few bars and restaurants to wander about then Pitlochry is good. There's not a lot to do but it's good for an overnighter and less than a couple of hours from Edinburgh.

If it's a nice wee town with a few bars and restaurants to wander about then Pitlochry is good. There's not a lot to do but it's good for an overnighter and less than a couple of hours from Edinburgh.

If so, The Moulin Inn is a must!

If so, The Moulin Inn is a must!

And, on that note, Dunkeld is a really nice place too, in a really picturesque setting and with a lot of cracking scenery around it.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Fort William.

You can get a room for ?35 for two per night just now in the Premier Inn which is 5 minutes from the station. Cracking train journey up going passed Loch Lomond and Bridge of Orchy.

Oban is also nice.

There are also a lot of decent deals just now on Groupon.

To my great surprise, Liverpool, which I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to, was an excellent city break. Plenty to do and see and, once you put the accent to one side, actually genuinely nice people for the most part.

I would say Alnwick. Tree house restaurant looked good when I visited castle with kids. Don't know if that's the case mind as never ate there.

Also plenty to see and do . Tbh you could spend a good part of your day wandering around castle itself.

Wee visit to Low Newton by the sea as well. Nice pub there. Can't remember the name of it.

Only caviet I'd put on allthis is it was 6 years ago I visited.

I would say Alnwick. Tree house restaurant looked good when I visited castle with kids. Don't know if that's the case mind as never ate there.

Also plenty to see and do . Tbh you could spend a good part of your day wandering around castle itself.

Wee visit to Low Newton by the sea as well. Nice pub there. Can't remember the name of it.

Only caviet I'd put on allthis is it was 6 years ago I visited.

The Ship Inn; superb place - great food & brews its own beer!

The Ship Inn; superb place - great food & brews its own beer!

That's the one. Great wee pub and what a setting.

Amazing beach as well.

Macdonald hotels have a winter offer on at the moment. I think it runs up until the end of March.

The Mrs and I were thinking of a couple of nights in either the Perthshire or Peebles hotel. Has anyone been to either or recommend one place over the other?

Went to York a few months ago. Never thought of Durham before, might go there next time. Nothing planned this year yet except Cardiff in July. 14th year in a row...

Malcolm Tucker

Another vote for Dunkeld here, cracking town that I spent numerous wee family holidays in. The scenery is amazing, and you can get a lovely walk along the Tay as well. A few good wee caf?'s/restaurants and always a really friendly vibe. It is a wee place though, so maybe an overnighter rather than a long weekend.

With Pitlochry just up the road too, you can get a train from one to t'other I think. Two great wee places in touching distance of each other.

B12WDMKCIAMl5_E.jpg

A bit of a mad idea, but have you thought about doing Edinburgh as a tourist.

Book a hotel for a couple of nights. Do the touristy thing and all that.

You might learn something, and no travelling costs.

siegementality

A bit of a mad idea, but have you thought about doing Edinburgh as a tourist.

Book a hotel for a couple of nights. Do the touristy thing and all that.

You might learn something, and no travelling costs.

I've done this a few times. Walk down streets you haven't before, into bars, restaurants and cafes you normally wouldn't. Explore Moningside and Stockbridge, climb Arthur's Seat and visit the museum. Edinburgh has so much to offer, places you walk past everyday and never think about visiting. Regardless of how long you've lived there, or how often you've visited, there is always more to do and see.

Another vote for Dunkeld here, cracking town that I spent numerous wee family holidays in. The scenery is amazing, and you can get a lovely walk along the Tay as well. A few good wee caf?'s/restaurants and always a really friendly vibe. It is a wee place though, so maybe an overnighter rather than a long weekend.

With Pitlochry just up the road too, you can get a train from one to t'other I think. Two great wee places in touching distance of each other.

B12WDMKCIAMl5_E.jpg

That looks absolutely stunning.

Berwick-upon-Tweed, Alnmouth, and Penrith are all nice places and within easy reach of Edinburgh by rail.

Berwick is a lively and historical town, with well-preserved town walls which you can walk around and many old and interesting buildings. There's a good bus network based there which you can use to get to various other places in Northumberland and Berwickshire.

I would, in all honesty, avoid Berwick. The town itself is very nice, the town walls are really impressive and the sea air is lovely. However, it's let down massively by a lot of the people who live there and the standard of places to eat and drink is sub-par to say the least.

I used to live near Berwick and would visit regularly. Now I'm in Edinburgh, it's not somewhere I'd fall over myself to go back to.

There are a lot of stunning places in Berwickshire to visit though, I would definitely agree on visiting a lot of places in the Borders.

Preferably on a train route from Edinburgh

I am going to sound a bit Portilloesque but I went to York via Carlisle / Settle / Leeds.  

Malcolm Tucker

That looks absolutely stunning.

It is indeed, even better when you're wandering around the town :)

Autumn time in Pitlochry is tremendous too when they have the Enchanted Forest all set up.

free-to-use-graham-smith-1-lst105621.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know when is best to book train fares? (few weeks before do prices drop?)

I'm looking at a return to Durham (etc) on our dates and getting crazy prices. (a flight to madrid id cheaper!)

Anyone know when is best to book train fares? (few weeks before do prices drop?)

I'm looking at a return to Durham (etc) on our dates and getting crazy prices. (a flight to madrid id cheaper!)

pretty sure they are at the cheapest exactly 12 weeks beforehand, we paid ?75 for the 2 of us return, Edin to Durham, that was April last year.

East Coast Trains used to release their all cheap fares twelve weeks in advance but since they've become Virgin East coast they now release the cheap midweek tickets about 6 months in advance.

Works for some I'd imagine but I never plan 6 months ahead for travel in the UK so it's made tickets more expensive for me :muggy:

I saw the thread title and had two in mind....York and Durham!

Others - Inverness, Lincoln and Chester. 

Inverness and Lincoln both have smallish decent concert venues that I have been to for gigs and made a weekend of it. Lincoln has a couple of historical sites - a castle and cathedral as well as a decent shopping area.

Chester is a nice historic town worth a visit

Same here! :laugh:

Love Durham, argues it's a city due to the cathedral but it's a lovely little town.

pretty sure they are at the cheapest exactly 12 weeks beforehand, we paid ?75 for the 2 of us return, Edin to Durham, that was April last year.

Jimmy is almost spot on. Prices 12 weeks and over are standard, the cheapest prices start within 12 weeks until the cheapest seats are sold. So, if you are going the Friday, you would need to wait until twelve weeks before and book on the Saturday (or I think as long as it's after the time you'd depart, less sure on that bit though!) to get the cheap prices.

It sounds pedantic, but if you book the Friday you may be paying more than necessary.

Bridge of Djoum

Apart from London - Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and Brighton are all great short trips.

Brighton is a bit far on the train though. I think he mentioned using the train. Great weekend away though.

I would say Durham. I worked for Durham council until about a year ago, lived in Newcastle though. Its a lovely town. The train station is midway up a hill so its a nice walk down to the town. The cathedral and the castle are lovely. Have you been to Newcastle? If so I would probably recommend a night in Durham and a night in tha toon. They are both pretty different but both have there own unique points.

Oxford is pretty good, especially if you are a history buff. Lots to see in and around there. Bath is pretty good as well.

Anyone been to Preston?

Any good?

we played them pre season a year or 2 ago so you should get a decent reply for that.

Carl Fredrickson

I went to Preston once for a day trip. Quickly changed to an hour trip. Thought it was quite depressing and I think the football museum is now at Wembley rather than Deepdale (I may be wrong)

Anyone been to Preston?

Any good?

Been twice and loved it.

Spent both times drunk out of my mind, though...

Would recommend Chester. You don't say when you're thinking about going but I went on "Ladies Day" last year to Chester Races. Had a great time.

Nice town , plenty of decent boozers and places to eat.

Archived