Uk town/city breaks

Alan_R

Anyone been to Preston?

Any good?

the first motorway in Britain was the Preston bypass. Having been there I can fully understand why! It's a shitehole.

haha cheers. All the train routes seem to change at Preston so I thought I'd try for somewhere with a direct line.

Trains are stupid expensive for Durham (no idea why)

So Belfast, Bristol or Madrid are the front runners at the mo. (all flights)

It seems stupid I cant find reasonable train fares

Say What Again

This dude flew from East Midlands airport to Berlin, then Berlin to Stansted, as it was ?8 cheaper than the train from Sheffield to Essex.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jan/27/blogger-claims-to-save-772-from-sheffield-to-essex-by-flying-via-berlin

haha cheers. All the train routes seem to change at Preston so I thought I'd try for somewhere with a direct line.

So Belfast, Bristol or Madrid are the front runners at the mo. (all flights)

Not sure where your looking, I just had a quick look, I can get return Edin to Durham for 2 adults for ?58

https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/EDINBURGH%20WAVERLEY/DURHAM/15/04/16/09/15/Leave%20After/17/04/16/16/00/Leave%20After/2/0//

I've done this a few times. Walk down streets you haven't before, into bars, restaurants and cafes you normally wouldn't. Explore Moningside and Stockbridge, climb Arthur's Seat and visit the museum. Edinburgh has so much to offer, places you walk past everyday and never think about visiting. Regardless of how long you've lived there, or how often you've visited, there is always more to do and see.

We did this last Spring.

Both of us are from Edinburgh but were visiting there with two friends from California. Stayed in the Bruntsfield Hotel, visited the castle, the parliament, High Street, Museum, Scott Monument, General Register House (I worked there) and various other places.

Ate in restaurants we don't normally when visiting Edinburgh and drank in boozers we don't usually. Cafe Royal (I worked there as well), Canny Mans, Hectors in Stockbridge.

They loved it and so did we!

I wonder if it's to do with the dates.

I should've mention dates have to be specific as I've already taken our anniversary weekend off work. Mid march.

Macdonald hotels have a winter offer on at the moment. I think it runs up until the end of March.

The Mrs and I were thinking of a couple of nights in either the Perthshire or Peebles hotel. Has anyone been to either or recommend one place over the other?

Have you been yet? 

I know both reasonably well.

Both have their attractions, it will depend on what you want to do.

If golf, Cardrona. 

If remote country, Loch Rannoch. 

Both have pools and gyms, but Cardrona's are better facilities with spa/treatments etc (for the Mrs when you go golfing)

If so, The Moulin Inn is a must!

Gets my vote. Stayed in Pitlochry many times over the years and the Moulin is a fantastic wee pub. Has its own brewery. Pint of Brave Heart please!!

MacDonald Jardine

I went to Preston once for a day trip. Quickly changed to an hour trip. Thought it was quite depressing and I think the football museum is now at Wembley rather than Deepdale (I may be wrong)

Football museum is now in Manchester. You're right about Preston though.

Have you been yet?

I know both reasonably well.

Both have their attractions, it will depend on what you want to do.

If golf, Cardrona.

If remote country, Loch Rannoch.

Both have pools and gyms, but Cardrona's are better facilities with spa/treatments etc (for the Mrs when you go golfing)

We've booked Loch Rannoch for two nights at the start of March. Looks like there are nice walks etc. Would you recommend anything else to do?

We'll probably spend an afternoon in Pitlochry on the way there.

Used to play golf a bit, but not played for a good few years now. I get too frustrated by it.

Tommiwastheboss

We've booked Loch Rannoch for two nights at the start of March. Looks like there are nice walks etc. Would you recommend anything else to do?

Used to play golf a bit, but not played for a good few years now. I get too frustrated by it.

Was at Loch Rannoch last Feb and there was nothing there apart from a small cafe/gallery. Literally nothing but the great outdoors am afraid

Was at Loch Rannoch last Feb and there was nothing there apart from a small cafe/gallery. Literally nothing but the great outdoors am afraid

Kenmore and Aberfeldy aren't too far away, where there will be a bit more going on and a choice of places to eat and drink. Stop off to see the ancient Fortingall Yew (and a few hundred Fortingall ewes!   :dribble:) on the way.

It did look a fairly remote area! Our plan was to stop off at Pitlochry and spend the afternoon there/get some food. Presuming/hoping there is a nice walk round the Loch or something. Will have the car so can always go for a drive to somewhere with a bit more to do.

The loch is about 10 miles long, so a walk round it would take a while!

Probably still a bit cold for water sports at the hotel, and I'm not sure that there's much left of the artificial ski slope...so swimming pool and gym and maybe a pool table in the bar are about your lot at the hotel.

It's a nice drive round the loch, out to Rannoch Station (you could always get a train to Ft William for the day) there used to be a nice wee cafe at the station and a hotel. Also as others have said, nice drives to Killin, Kenmore, Aberfeldy etc. 

Plenty of forest walks on the south side of the loch. Also interesting (to some!) hydro electric works on the Tummel on the way from Pitlochry, 

Sitting by the log fire in the lounge drinking a few whiskys sounds good to me though. :cheers:

It did look a fairly remote area! Our plan was to stop off at Pitlochry and spend the afternoon there/get some food. Presuming/hoping there is a nice walk round the Loch or something. Will have the car so can always go for a drive to somewhere with a bit more to do.

There's a nice wee walk round Loch Faskally near Pitlochry (it's the Enchanted Forrest each October) and it's sheltered, with a reasonable surface, so okay in most weathers.

Cheers for all the suggestions folks. Just looking forward to a couple of days off work to be honest. And a few drinks thrown in will round it off quite nicely!

scott herbertson

Another vote for Dunkeld here, cracking town that I spent numerous wee family holidays in. The scenery is amazing, and you can get a lovely walk along the Tay as well. A few good wee caf?'s/restaurants and always a really friendly vibe. It is a wee place though, so maybe an overnighter rather than a long weekend.

With Pitlochry just up the road too, you can get a train from one to t'other I think. Two great wee places in touching distance of each other.

B12WDMKCIAMl5_E.jpg

There's a good chalet complex about half a mile from the station on the river side of the road (Birnam rather than Dunkeld). The complex has a decent swimmign pool and bar and there's a nice walk from the chalets along the river to the bridge where there are a couple of good pubs. My wife wants to buy a castle that's on sale there! The train does go to Pitlochry. Pitlochry station has a nice little second hand bookshop on the platform which is pretty weird.

PES150045_02_gal.JPG

Start of March could be snowy...

Anyone know when is best to book train fares? (few weeks before do prices drop?)

I'm looking at a return to Durham (etc) on our dates and getting crazy prices. (a flight to madrid id cheaper!)

Have you tried Superbreak? I always use them for wee breaks away. They usually have some great deals.

http://www.superbreak.com/?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=superbreak&utm_campaign=(S)%20-%20Brand%20-%20Exact

Lynn

Preston is a dump. I wouldn't go if you paid me.

Only Stoke beats it in my experience!

Utter shithole. Preston is paradise in comparison.

No difference to original plan but turns out we are going to a Spa hotel in Stirling for the weekend.

Cheers for all the imput

Carl Fredrickson

No difference to original plan but turns out we are going to a Spa hotel in Stirling for the weekend.

Cheers for all the imput

:beatnik2:

I like Stirling. We were there a week or so ago, visit to the Castle (my favourite Scottish castle and quickly becoming my sons favourite too), wife enjoyed the shops and I spent some time in the record shop. Nice wee town and there seemed to be lots of places to eat and drink - though I cant recommend any

:beatnik2:

I like Stirling. We were there a week or so ago, visit to the Castle (my favourite Scottish castle and quickly becoming my sons favourite too), wife enjoyed the shops and I spent some time in the record shop. Nice wee town and there seemed to be lots of places to eat and drink - though I cant recommend any

Cracking views to the south, including the town and loops of the Forth, from the Wallace Monument too. Haven't actually been inside the monument itself (there's a charge y'know!), but the climb up to it is made well worthwhile by the views from the crags. There is also a network of paths going through the woodlands below the monument if you fancy a bit more of a walk.

Carl Fredrickson

Cracking views to the south, including the town and loops of the Forth, from the Wallace Monument too. Haven't actually been inside the monument itself (there's a charge y'know!), but the climb up to it is made well worthwhile by the views from the crags. There is also a network of paths going through the woodlands below the monument if you fancy a bit more of a walk.

I last visited the Wallace Monument about 10 years ago and the walk up to it had me blowing out my erse. The charge and the thought of another hike to the top of the monument itself put me off going into it  :laugh4:

Archived