Jamie McDonald

kearney19

Not really started many threads for a while as Ive been busy but now as I have the time:

Was out after the Queens defeat to Rangers and was walking out of one of the Dumfries pubs and I turn around, theres Jamie McDonald and Ryan McCann all suited and booted up.

So i stopped to have a chat with Jamie, said to me hes going on the Germany tour and hes determained to get the number 1 jersey, also going to Ireland aswell he told me.

But I had to laugh at McCanns comment.

Asked him "Ryan, who got Barry Fergusons top?"

"No one, my top is more important and he plays for ****my Rangers!"

Had to laugh at that, but really sound guys!

Showed in the final that McDonald has a very bright future nd hopefully number 1 at Hearts.

Gigolo-Aunt

Dont think he showed anything in the final to suggest that he is the answer between the sticks.

Charlie-Brown

No harm in giving the kid some game time and seeing how he does otherwise what is the point in developing him for several years.

Gigolo-Aunt
He was mince in the final.What u on?

He met him, was a bit star struck so is now talking him up.

;)

TheBigTeam
He met him, was a bit star struck so is now talking him up.

;)

Sounds that way!

The cruckie cookie

Posted a thread just after the Final saying that Jamie is not the answer at the moment.

The guy is just not Spl material and if he becomes our No1 next season we will be in deep doo doo.

We might make 8th again.

Oh god. Another HN1F special thread.

Keep up the good work ma'man.

Ryan MhcCann**

Maroon Mayhem

I was dying for the guy to do well in the final but we have to face facts, at around 6 feet you have to be exceptional to make it as an SPL keeper let alone Hearts No1.

Unfortunately on the final showing, he's far from exceptional.

Jamie is in a similar category to Roddy Mckenzie - nearly but not quite.

Guest JamboRobbo
No harm in giving the kid some game time and seeing how he does otherwise what is the point in developing him for several years.

To see whether he made it or not. The coaches should know whether he has a chance to make it or not (if only we had coaches worthy of the name). If he hasn't got a chance to make it at SPL level, he shouldn't play, no matter how many years we spent developing him. Sometimes player just don't come up to scratch.

Charlie-Brown
To see whether he made it or not. The coaches should know whether he has a chance to make it or not (if only we had coaches worthy of the name). If he hasn't got a chance to make it at SPL level, he shouldn't play, no matter how many years we spent developing him. Sometimes player just don't come up to scratch.

What if a player is borderline though JR and a coach is undecided or not certain whether a player will or won't make it...sometimes the only way to find out is to try out a young player in the team some do better than expected others do worse.......maybe they think he does have the capability and that is why he's being involved pre-season (allegedly)...the coaching staff & goalkeeping coaches will have had a lot more time & experience of what JMacD is capable of than those of us who've only seen him in a couple of QoS games or the odd reserve or youth appearance.

Arthur Albiston was talking the other day how he was on the verge of being released early in his career, he was a left winger but due to an injury got a rare chance at left back where he'd never played anywhere in defence....he went on to become a Manchester United player & Scotland internationalist in that position.

Guest JamboRobbo
What if a player is borderline though JR and a coach is undecided or not certain whether a player will or won't make it...sometimes the only way to find out is to try out a young player in the team some do better than expected others do worse

Agree, but only in borderline cases. In most cases our coaches (:rofl:) should have a good idea.

Charlie-Brown
Agree, but only in borderline cases. In most cases our coaches (:rofl:) should have a good idea.

Well since MacDonald joined the club the goalkeeping coaches Peter Latchford, Malcolm Webster, Jim Stewart & Steve Banks must have deemed him good enough to be kept on.

Terrible Trio
Not really started many threads for a while as Ive been busy but now as I have the time:

Was out after the Queens defeat to Rangers and was walking out of one of the Dumfries pubs and I turn around, theres Jamie McDonald and Ryan McCann all suited and booted up.

So i stopped to have a chat with Jamie, said to me hes going on the Germany tour and hes determained to get the number 1 jersey, also going to Ireland aswell he told me.

But I had to laugh at McCanns comment.

Asked him "Ryan, who got Barry Fergusons top?"

"No one, my top is more important and he plays for ****my Rangers!"

Had to laugh at that, but really sound guys!

Showed in the final that McDonald has a very bright future nd hopefully number 1 at Hearts.

I smell shhhyyyyyte

For the record, i don't feel MacDonald will ever be number one at Hearts. He's not very tall and he certainly doesn't excite me as a prospect, having seen him balls up against Hubs a year back and then let it through himself in the Cup Final he doesn't strike me as a confident lad.

Charlie-Brown
For the record, i don't feel MacDonald will ever be number one at Hearts. He's not very tall and he certainly doesn't excite me as a prospect, having seen him balls up against Hubs a year back and then let it through himself in the Cup Final he doesn't strike me as a confident lad.

I've got mixed opinions about the lad I'd like to see more direct evidence for myself though. :)

Guest JamboRobbo
Well since MacDonald joined the club the goalkeeping coaches Peter Latchford, Malcolm Webster, Jim Stewart & Steve Banks must have deemed him good enough to be kept on.

I'd like to think that is the case, but we don't really know anymore with Vlad and his puppets dishing out contracts like they are going out of fashion.

He was in goals for Scotland U-21's so it seems he has something, I guess time will tell.

Dont think he showed anything in the final to suggest that he is the answer between the sticks.

I was at Falkirk the day Craig shipped 4 now while I think he was hung out to dry for a couple of the goals no one would have convinced me he was to become a 9 Mil player.

I am NOT for a moment suggesting the Macdonald is/will be as good as Gordon but lets not crucifiy him on a cup final performance( Rousett 96').

He might be tom tit but lets judge over a few 1st team games for the JT's

Gigolo-Aunt
I was at Falkirk the day Craig shipped 4 now while I think he was hung out to dry for a couple of the goals no one would have convinced me he was to become a 9 Mil player.

I am NOT for a moment suggesting the Macdonald is/will be as good as Gordon but lets not crucifiy him on a cup final performance( Rousett 96').

Im not crucifing (sp) anyone.

On the little I have seen of him (4 games I think), he has not shown me anything to suggest he can be our no1 or no2.

Thats what Kickback is for, giving an opinion.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Good post, the Gordon debut always comes to mind when I read about this discussion.

Niemi shipped 3 against the Hobos at Tynie on his debut as well did he not?!

Worth a shot IMO and I think Banksys experience will benefit him.

Charlie-Brown

As I see it we've very little to lose by giving MacDonald some chances and potentially something to gain if he proves to be capable enough.

Rawrrrrrrr
As I see it we've very little to lose by giving MacDonald some chances and potentially something to gain if he proves to be capable enough.

Except the fact if we give Macdonald the chance and he fails we are then in the position til at least January that we have 2 keepers not good enough and 1 who is well on his way to retirement

As far as i am concerned Macdonald will not make it, the club need to find a new GK in the summer capable of being a top SPL 1st choice for the forseeable future

Gigolo-Aunt

I think we have quite a lot to loose playing someone who's future at Hearts is very much in doubt.

A goalkeeper is a specialized position like no other. Mistakes are punished like no other position in football.

Charlie-Brown
Except the fact if we give Macdonald the chance and he fails we are then in the position til at least January that we have 2 keepers not good enough and 1 who is well on his way to retirement

As far as i am concerned Macdonald will not make it, the club need to find a new GK in the summer capable of being a top SPL 1st choice for the forseeable future

I see you have added the title of sporting director for goalkeeping policies to your extensive area of expertise... :o

Charlie-Brown
I think we have quite a lot to loose playing someone who's future at Hearts is very much in doubt.

A goalkeeper is a specialized position like no other. Mistakes are punished like no other position in football.

Well at worst we'd lose a goal or two, maybe a game or two - no worse than relying on other substandard players like Neilson who can cost you goals or points.

Rawrrrrrrr
I see you have added the title of sporting director for goalkeeping policies to your extensive area of expertise... :o

I take that means you don't have a response

and for the record Macdonald is very weak with shots around his legs, I have seen a few goals he has conceded that he shouldnt were the ball has been hit straight at him or in very close proximity to his legs and he dives down feet out and takes too long and by the time he gets down he has let it slip under him

Not an SPL keeper, simple as imo and if we do go with him he will cost us points

Charlie-Brown
I take that means you don't have a response

and for the record Macdonald is very weak with shots around his legs, I have seen a few goals he has conceded that he shouldnt were the ball has been hit straight at him or in very close proximity to his legs and he dives down feet out and takes too long and by the time he gets down he has let it slip under him

Not an SPL keeper, simple as imo and if we do go with him he will cost us points

Well maybe your right or maybe your wrong - I haven't seen enough of MacDonald to make a definite judgement and seeing him in action in real match situations would be the best way to decide whether he has the potential to be good enough or not.

Arthur Albiston was talking the other day how he was on the verge of being released early in his career, he was a left winger but due to an injury got a rare chance at left back where he'd never played anywhere in defence....he went on to become a Manchester United player & Scotland internationalist in that position.

I don't think Jamie will ever make it as a left back ;)

Joking aside, lets give the lad a chance in the first team before we judge him.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I also heard that Irvine Jambo was serving the drinks in that pub! :P

Archived