January Ins and Outs

Guess The Crowd

I never heard what he said but I read this on the BBC website.

We are looking to possibly bring one in. We are working on that at the moment but it is difficult at this time of the year.

We are looking to get a striker in but it is difficult. Probably a loan deal but I would like to get something permanent."

Which, to be fair, also doesn't state that there would be no other signings.

Having watched it his main opinion was that the squad was good but possibly a striker would come in. He didn't close the door on other signings, though.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree.

Maybe the starting team selection yesterday was a little tester as to how we could perform without him.

I happen to agree though - I think another striker will come in no matter what.

Possibly.

I think we've been nursing him through thinking we couldn't risk playing without him. He limped about Perth recently as an example. I reckon that Reilly looking busy and adding a goal gave him the confidence to try to get a win against the second worst team in the league without Sow starting. That didn't quite work but from my limited highlights viewing, it doesn't look to be the fault of Reilly/missing Sow.

My intrigue around the striker situation is the silence on El Hassnaoui. Neilson has always spoken highly of him but it's all went quiet on him and Neilson confirmed yesterday that only Walker is injured.

Jambof3tornado

Why on earth would we sell our joint top scorer midway through the season when we'll only get peanuts for him?

He'll either sign a new deal or he won't. Regardless, we'd be stupid to get rid of him before we have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Free up a wage??

Enjoying nobody taking the bait. Poor guy cannot get a bite. :(

On topic: Its great to be able to look forward to new signings again. New strikers arriving is like being a kid again, waiting to see if he's a gem or a dud. :)

Possibly.

I think we've been nursing him through thinking we couldn't risk playing without him. He limped about Perth recently as an example. I reckon that Reilly looking busy and adding a goal gave him the confidence to try to get a win against the second worst team in the league without Sow starting. That didn't quite work but from my limited highlights viewing, it doesn't look to be the fault of Reilly/missing Sow.

Did someone not say the artificial turf at Rugby Park could also be an issue for Sow too?

Dr Ian Malcolm

Free up a wage??

For what? We can afford to pay him and aren't going to ditch him now for a new, untested striker when he's been scoring the majority of our goals this season.

If he keeps up his form, we're more than likely going to get a greater benefit than if we take a few tens of thousand and save a negligible amount in wages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did someone not say the artificial turf at Rugby Park could also be an issue for Sow too?

I didn't see that, but it's entirely possible.

All this talk of a new striker brings back memories of Mike Tullberg :veryangry2:

DeVries for me. :D

El Hass and Sow both to go therefore it's obvious we need 1 if not two new strikers.

As for Reilly if he scored consecutively for the next half dozen games it still wouldn't be enough for some on here!

tartofmidlothian

Interesting EEN interview with Robbie this morning. Says he expects Paterson not to leave this month and doesn't think he's quite ready, there's interest in all our young players and Sow has interest from England in the summer, although there's a chance he could stay. We're looking at replacements though.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-expect-paterson-to-stay-but-sow-has-options-1-3990510

El Hass and Sow both to go therefore it's obvious we need 1 if not two new strikers.

As for Reilly if he scored consecutively for the next half dozen games it still wouldn't be enough for some on here!

You're absolutely obsessed with this Reilly chat :rofl: it's pretty much all you've posted about for the last 5 or 6 months :lol:

You're absolutely obsessed with this Reilly chat :rofl: it's pretty much all you've posted about for the last 5 or 6 months :lol:

I think if you check back I've talked and have had interest in ALL the young Scottish players that are involved at Hearts. :lipsrsealed2:

Gorgie_Rules

Only concern with Paterson is that his contract is up summer of 2017. I don't think he will (or want him to) leave just now but the fee we are going to get for him in the summer or next January is not going to be fee we would probably expect to get for him

If we could get him to extend for another year with a minimum release clause it would be a great bit of business 

Guest Paul Allen

It's surely just a matter of time before Paterson leaves. He's a future Scotland international. He has the right attributes to be a success down south, namely technique, physicality, and a good attitude/work ethic.

It could be a huge disappointment for some this transfer window

Jon Daly could technically be the only incoming striker

Jambof3tornado

Jon Daly could technically be the only incoming striker

Could do a job.

Jon Daly could technically be the only incoming striker

If nobody leaves then I don't have a problem.

Some of our players need to step up and if they do we will comfortably finish 3rd.

When it comes to improving a side I really dislike buying in January. Permanent deals cost much more and if it's a player who hasn't been playing they will be in mid February before they get 100% match fit. They might never come good until next season depending on how long they take to settle.

If a good loan deal appears then great but I'd be happier holding onto all the players we have, getting Walker and El Hass back fit and wait for the wider set of options available in the summer.

Let Aberdeen and Celtic do their thing this season. We should do what we always do and focus on us. We're building a good squad at the moment and I think we will be much better next season after gaining more experience.

Unknown user

Mate, first Monday back eh? I feel your pain

Keeping sow til the end of season is essential to help us secure European football, an injury to Juanma or Reilly would leave us very short. The money a good draw in Europe next season would far out weigh any money we would get for sow now.

I think our team still looks like it is trying to gel and we have cover for most positions. For that I wouldn't look at bringing anyone in unless they are a class above our current level and re evaluate end of season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unknown user

Keeping sow til the end of season is essential to help us secure European football, an injury to Juanma or Reilly would leave us very short. The money a good draw in Europe next season would far out weigh any money we would get for sow now.

I think our team still looks like it is trying to gel and we have cover for most positions. For that I wouldn't look at bringing anyone in unless they are a class above our current level and re evaluate end of season

Making money isn't a given from european qualification though - if we get drawn against some small Kazakhstani team that doesn't attract a big crowd at tynie and costs a fortune to get 25 people to we'll lose money

Making money isn't a given from european qualification though - if we get drawn against some small Kazakhstani team that doesn't attract a big crowd at tynie and costs a fortune to get 25 people to we'll lose money

In Europa league now we will not lose money no matter who we play. The way money is distributed now far outweighs selling a player for ?100-200k. Hearts first game back in Europe will bring in 14k fans no matter who we play. TV deal may also be an option.

And no offence but we should be strolling past tiny teams no one has heard off and we have a good record against weaker European teams

Unknown user

In Europa league now we will not lose money no matter who we play. The way money is distributed now far outweighs selling a player for ?100-200k. Hearts first game back in Europe will bring in 14k fans no matter who we play. TV deal may also be an option.

And no offence but we should be strolling past tiny teams no one has heard off and we have a good record against weaker European teams

I didn't know the money distribution had been changed, fair enough there. But whether we should be strolling past teams or not, qualifying rounds are full of potential banana skins.

Euro qualification doesn't guarantee it being a profitable venture if you get papped out early, or at least it hasn't in the past- I've read more than one chairman complaining about the cost of euro campaigns

Which, to be fair, also doesn't state that there would be no other signings.

Having watched it his main opinion was that the squad was good but possibly a striker would come in. He didn't close the door on other signings, though.

I don't think you can read too much into anything Robbie say to be perfectly honest as he talks a load of bollocks a lot of the time especially when it comes to signings and players coming back from injury.

Time will tell though only 28 days to go until the window shuts counting today. 

Levein did say that he would be registered as a player however it would be unlikely that he would play.

Finishing third gives us a decent pot of money however there is not a huge amount between dropping down a position although finishing 2nd would be great.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/

I would trade all January signings for our full strength squad for the second part of the season.  Walker and Sam on thew wings - oooftcha!

Finishing third gives us a decent pot of money however there is not a huge amount between dropping down a position although finishing 2nd would be great.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/

Add to that ?200k for each 2nd and 3rd qualifying round. If you do manage to reach the group stage it's worth ?2m plus money for points earnt. It should be our aim to be in the group stages which changes our revenue completely

Would not be that bothered if we got rid of Gomis, Pallardo and Bauben especially if we could get one or two in a similar vein to Djoum to replace them. Definitely need a new left back as well.

Dr. Bapswent

With Sow likely to have better offers that staying with us and  interest in Nicholson, Patterson and King a successful transfer window would be one that saw us just as strong when its shuts as we are right now.

However with Sow having a good chance of leaving finding an effective striker is going to be the main objective I suspect.

Which is a shame as I would have preferred Robbie's attention to be on getting a reliable left back and some better quality in the midfield and moving some of the dead wood out. 

Would not be that bothered if we got rid of Gomis, Pallardo and Bauben especially if we could get one or two in a similar vein to Djoum to replace them. Definitely need a new left back as well.

Get rid of three experienced midfield players? Time to wind down the new year alcohol intake?

Dr. Bapswent

Get rid of three experienced midfield players? Time to wind down the new year alcohol intake?

Do you think we need all of them?

Who would you like us to keep from this list?

Bauben

Gomis

Pallardo

Djoum

Walker

El Hass 

Swanson

Anderson

I think we have to many mediocre midfielders and the addition of Swanson was us looking for something extra in an attacking sense - but it hasn't really paid off.

Id happily get rid of at least 4 of that list and replace them with a midfielder that is a step above the decent (but not outstanding) quality we have.

El Hass might be considered a striker I suppose.

Do you think we need all of them?

Who would you like us to keep from this list?

Bauben

Gomis

Pallardo

Djoum

Walker

El Hass

Swanson

Anderson

I think we have to many mediocre midfielders and the addition of Swanson was us looking for something extra in an attacking sense - but it hasn't really paid off.

Id happily get rid of at least 4 of that list and replace them with a midfielder that is a step above the decent (but not outstanding) quality we have.

El Hass might be considered a striker I suppose.

although as others have said, Hearts don't say that much I do believe Craig and Robbie when they say they always want to improve on what we have

wages are a big factor but when you at a signing like Rossi who is certainly better than Danny Wilson then it shows we can do it

Its also a choice about how to play (and form of others) with Jason Holt and now Swanson squeezed out

With Sow likely to have better offers that staying with us and interest in Nicholson, Patterson and King a successful transfer window would be one that saw us just as strong when its shuts as we are right now.

However with Sow having a good chance of leaving finding an effective striker is going to be the main objective I suspect.

Which is a shame as I would have preferred Robbie's attention to be on getting a reliable left back and some better quality in the midfield and moving some of the dead wood out.

I'd imagine Hearts will be the biggest club that Billy King will play for in his career.

letsalldothebeattie

I would imagine we are still looking to turf our Anderson this month and cant say id be all that bothered if Swanson went too with McKirdy & Zanatta coming through id rather Neilson blood they boys than Anderson and Swanson

Why on earth would we sell our joint top scorer midway through the season when we'll only get peanuts for him?

He'll either sign a new deal or he won't. Regardless, we'd be stupid to get rid of him before we have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote

So what happens if he takes the foot off the gas??

JamboJohn1874

Would like to see us cash in on Sow now, rather than lose him for free at end of season. Especially if he is Ibrox bound (as is heavily rumoured), as it will have the added bonus of helping to keep Hibs down :jjyay:

Think we need to pick up a striker and maybe a new keeper if Hamilton isn't up to it. Don't see the point in signing any other new players as I'd like to see Zanatta, McKirdy, McGhee getting more game time.

Unbelievable...

We just drop first team players to let youngsters, who are clearly not even remotely ready, get a game.

Belive it or not, most of us wish to see our team win

JamboJohn1874

If the club is serious about moving the team forward, the following should be allowed to move on and could be easily replaced:

Hamilton

El-Hass

Oshaniwa

Pallardo

Reilly

Possibly keep

Bauben

Gomis

GorgieRules22

If the club is serious about moving the team forward, the following should be allowed to move on and could be easily replaced:

Hamilton

El-Hass

Oshaniwa

Pallardo

Reilly

Possibly keep

Bauben

Gomis

And do this all in January ? Lose half a team and rebuild.

What has gone so wrong as of yet to do this, serious question ?

Hamilton

El-Hass

Oshaniwa

Pallardo

Reilly

Possibly keep

Bauben

Gomis

You have clearly been taking far too many drugs over the Xmas period.

I'd be asking for a refund for our World Cup Star.

He'll end up another Kenny Anderson,couldn't give him away!

The club has made all the necessary noises about wanting to keep players and holding out for top offers, etc etc. But the club WILL be keen to achieve fees for the more valuable assets. As ever it's all dependent on remainder of contracts, etc. I think the club will be quietly active in trying to sell one or two. Paterson and Nicholson would fetch good fees right now if there are interested clubs with money. We can't afford to gamble on players signing extensions, not signing and running their contracts down.

Develop, sell and reinvest.

The club has made all the necessary noises about wanting to keep players and holding out for top offers, etc etc. But the club WILL be keen to achieve fees for the more valuable assets. As ever it's all dependent on remainder of contracts, etc. I think the club will be quietly active in trying to sell one or two. Paterson and Nicholson would fetch good fees right now if there are interested clubs with money. We can't afford to gamble on players signing extensions, not signing and running their contracts down.

Develop, sell and reinvest.

We sell a couple of good players now, folk will moan.

We don't sell and their contracts run out, folk will moan.

Dr. Bapswent

We sell a couple of good players now, folk will moan.

We don't sell and their contracts run out, folk will moan.

I think it depends on who.

Archived