HEARTS' EXCRUCIATING search for a manager will enter its 24th week

slfjambo

24 Weeks

HEARTS: In light of Mark McGhee?s change of heart, Alan Campbell looks at the other candidates for the Tynecastle hot seat

HEARTS' EXCRUCIATING search for a manager will enter its 24th week with the Tynecastle club apparently still no closer to finding a solution. That's approaching half a year, which is presumably some kind of a record for British football.

Mark McGhee's decision not to accept the job at the start of last week has not only scuppered Plan A, but told the other managers whose names are being bandied about that they're, at best, second choices. Probably third, because Craig Levein, who would be a generally popular appointment, has made it clear that for a number of reasons he couldn't consider a return to Hearts at this juncture.

While McGhee may have been prepared to accept some of Vladimir Romanov's interference in playing matters - provided there was prior agreement on the boundaries - most British managers would not. Levein, one assumes, comes into this category. A quick phone call to George Burley would confirm that it is a strategy fraught with problems.

Five months after promising to recruit a manager with experience of British football, the list of speculated candidates has barely changed. Jim Jefferies was the favourite in some eyes at the beginning of January, and remains there today. Billy Davies has been hovering near the top of bookmakers' lists.

Jefferies has been holding his counsel, a wise move if he does fancy a return to Hearts for perhaps one last managerial challenge. One of Romanov's many idiosyncrasies is that he doesn't like his future managers to tout themselves in the media, which is an indication of the pressures they come under when in his employ.

Davies, in that regard, appeared to shoot himself in the foot not once, but twice, when he spoke to an Edinburgh newspaper last week. He compounded the error of daring to talk to a journalist by saying that while interested in the job, he wouldn't be formally applying. His words struck the wrong note with some, and are unlikely to have improved his chances.

According to a club source, a new list of potential candidates is being compiled, and assuming the infamous fax machine works in both directions it will be sent to Lithuania for inspection.

Romanov apart, there are several aspects of the Hearts job which are genuinely attractive. The salary, a reported ?350,000, is huge by Scottish standards. Another major plus is Riccarton, where the training and ancillary facilities are excellent and there is no running around from pillar to goalpost in minibuses to find a dry piece of ground to train on.

This environment would be a big step up for most managers outwith the two top leagues in England, and it is also an incentive for good players to sign for the club. Then there is Tynecastle itself, with its intimate atmosphere and almost guaranteed full houses for a successful Hearts side.

In normal circumstances there would be a stampede for the job, and McGhee, with respect, would probably have been no exception. It still won't put every manager off, but the Romanov factor has already, demonstrably, narrowed down the field of candidates.

When Burley took over the squad, new players had to be recruited quickly. Whether it was luck or astuteness that the players gelled almost immediately and became a formidable unit, only Burley will know. But the new manager, whoever he is, will want assurances from Romanov that he, too, can add some much needed quality.

Losing the last game of the season to a team in administration and which has now been demoted to the Third Division with the real threat of going out of business altogether just about said it all about Hearts and their current predicament.

The 1-0 loss to Gretna was precisely the type of result which saw the club plummet down the league to eighth in 2007-08.

Nevertheless, most of the damage was done in the first half of the season, and results did improve when Frail was put in charge in January. Romanov is said to like Frail and if enough managers turn Hearts down he could yet come into the frame despite previous utterances.

That's not what the vast majority of Hearts fans want, though. If Jefferies isn't offered the job and Davies doesn't fit the bill, then the best option may be a rising man from the lower divisions in England. That could even include Paul Ashworth, whose identity was known to few before he popped up in dispatches last week.

Again, though, advertising his services in the press is unlikely to impress Romanov. Nor is there anything in the Skonto Riga manager's CV which marks him out as an obvious candidate if you take away his ability to speak Russian and converse with the owner.

The worrying thing from a Hearts perspective is that five months and counting without a proper manager reeks of a lack of ambition. The apparent absence of a Plan B when McGhee said no is another indication of poor senior management. The old line that Hearts didn't need to rush to make an appointment is starting to look very thin.

Granted, McGhee's decision must have come as a shock, and there was no chance of prising him away from Motherwell during the season. But all these months could have been used to have an alternative lined up.

Charlie-Brown
24 weeks to find a Manager must be some sort of record.

That's what happens when your bride asks for a summer wedding but calls off on the way to the Church and leaves you standing at the alter cos she can't go through with it. :o

Marmeladent?rtchen

Who knows,,,, maybe it will come to a week before the seasons starts with still no manager and Vlad can only get someone in by giving him full control.

That would be worth waiting for!!!!!

Drylaw Hearts
That's what happens when your bride asks for a summer wedding but calls off on the way to the Church and leaves you standing at the alter cos she can't go through with it. :o

When your potential 'Bride' is already married and has a family who love her dearly you are always going to run the risk of her staying where she is.

We should have planned for this outcome but it appears we didn't.

Unprofessional to the core.

When your potential 'Bride' is already married and has a family who love her dearly you are always going to run the risk of her staying where she is.

Do you think it would have been 'professional' to say to 'another' that we would like you to have the job.................only if McGhee says no?

They will be working on plan B just now, just because the media know heehaw does not mean we are doing nothing regards plan B.

Charlie-Brown

You can have an idea of people you would like as an alternative and maybe even sound out 1 or 2 (CL?) to see if they are interested but I fail to see how you could have any serious candidate waiting on standby just in case McGhee decided against joining?

Buffalo Bill

Maybe we should just marry the Weegie Hun tart and be done with it.

The ugly ones try harder, and all that.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
Maybe we should just marry the Weegie Hun tart and be done with it.

The ugly ones try harder, and all that.

Buffalo Bill

I'd prefer a more incestuous relationship with a member of our own (HEARTS) family (JJ or CL) than that BB. :laugh:

The potential bride seemed willing to leave her husband for the lure of something better,

And are you suggesting the potential groom should have had 2 or 3 other women on the go at the same time. You or/and the groom must be lacking in moral fibre.

'JOKE'

correct. when you read that they're compiling another list it beggers belief. how many managers were on the first list...........one ?

romanov, ogilvie and even their spin merchant lawrence brodie are guilty of 100% stupidity. these muppets couldn't find a quality manager from planet earth who would take the job under romanov's interference. romanov wants a lap dog for a manager and no doubt he'll find some yes man he can control and all the bootlickers will be happy as we will be subjected to another season of our team remaining to be a shambles.

i can just see romanov and his puppets in a lithuainian bunker plotting their next move.

pathetic.

Dirk Diggler
'JOKE'

correct. when you read that they're compiling another list it beggers belief. how many managers were on the first list...........one ?

romanov, ogilvie and even their spin merchant lawrence brodie are guilty of 100% stupidity. these muppets couldn't find a quality manager from planet earth who would take the job under romanov's interference. romanov wants a lap dog for a manager and no doubt he'll find some yes man he can control and all the bootlickers will be happy as we will be subjected to another season of our team remaining to be a shambles.

i can just see romanov and his puppets in a lithuainian bunker plotting their next move.

pathetic.

Why the rant? We didn't get McGhee, You're happy abut that, right?

Drylaw Hearts
Do you think it would have been 'professional' to say to 'another' that we would like you to have the job.................only if McGhee says no?

They will be working on plan B just now, just because the media know heehaw does not mean we are doing nothing regards plan B.

Do you think it is good practice in any business not to have an immediate back up plan ?

i didn't think he was the right man but i'd of given him my support if he'd got the job.

and why shouldn't i rant.

we've got no honour, pride or ambition under romanov and his clueless puppets.

Dirk Diggler

and why shouldn't i rant.

Because the sun is still shining.

Peace out brother.

At the moment I'd prefer the club to just say ' we are making progress with getting our new manager-and will have the right man in place soon' and the next word on the subject will be at a press conference to state 'We're proud to announce ............ as our new manager.

Better to have No statements on the website, No leaks to the press, Ignore all pesh from people in the know-('Ive heard this and so and so said that') as it just leads let downs and fans with egg on their faces.

HMFC-just get on with the task in hand and get us a credible manager :)

jambos are go!

MM only did the dirty 6 days ago. Did the Herald expect any Plan B to be implemented in 6 seconds or 6 minutes?

Gigolo-Aunt
MM only did the dirty 6 days ago. Did the Herald expect any Plan B to be implemented in 6 seconds or 6 minutes?

Correct.

We have had the routine from the press of linking us with managers since, and I would expect Hearts are working on the next name on their list.

Drylaw Hearts

How long do should Hearts wait before they move forward with Plan B ?

Everyday we are without a Manager we are falling further behind other teams with regards to planning for next Season.

Cardiac Rucksack

Everyday we are without a Manager we are falling further behind other teams with regards to planning for next Season.

Ona positive note though its given you the chance to have another go, every cloud and that.;):dribble:

Gigolo-Aunt

How do you know that Hearts are not moving forward with plan B?

jamboinglasgow

I reckon hearts have a list of candidates who they could go for, however it was only on Tuesday that Hearts said they would not continue interest on MM. I think this week has been Hearts officals meeting with Vlad disccusing who he wants and what is thebest next step to take. My views on it is that we will make a new bid for a manager this week.

I'd rather they take a week to think rather then rush into getting another manager which might fail the next day as it would badly tarnish hearts if it went wrong.

As has been reported in most articles (including this one) Vlad likes to keep all of his work out of the press until he's ready to make an announcement so any talk of 'lists' or 'plan a' and 'plan b' is just pure speculation by reporters eager to put a new slant on a story with no verifiable content. They're only printing these stories because fans like us are eager for any snipits of news on who this might be and fans of other SPL clubs (who demonstrably hate Vlad a lot more than I do - dunno about you guys) are eager for further news of him feckin things up...again.

The only real things we know are that the majority of fans, in January, would have picked MM or CL for our manager. It appears that we have made decent attempts (certainly in MM's case) to appoint these guys. Other than this, we know the club have stated that they intend to have appointed a manager for the start of pre-season work, which is still weeks away.

If the club had any more news on this we would have heard it by now cos they're eager to shift as many STs as soon as poss. With this in mind, I think its admirable that the club haven't leaked stories about potential appointments. Still doesn't stop the guesswork from 'journalists' though (and I use the term loosely).

Move along please - nothing to read here...

Toxteth O'Grady
When does Jim Jefferies get back from his holidays?

Where is he?

Guest JamboRobbo

And as of today, that is 5 months we've been searching for a manager but have failed to appoint one. Anyone know if thats a scottish/european/world record? (and thats not counting the 2 and a bit years it took Vlad to admit that we did need a manager after all.).

Charlie-Brown
Where is he?

Iam not sure, Mallorca I think, I'm sure I read in the papers last week he was currently on holiday.

Hawick Jambo

I'm sure I heard on one of the radio stations last week that JJ was away on holiday for the annual Scottish football visit to Magaluf ?

Could it be that they are waiting for his return from his break before discussing the position.

Regardless of his merits, the one thing that Romanov is good at is keeping things tight and away from the media. I reckon things are moving on, but anything mentioned in the press etc is conjecture and speculation

Toxteth O'Grady
And as of today, that is 5 months we've been searching for a manager but have failed to appoint one. Anyone know if thats a scottish/european/world record? (and thats not counting the 2 and a bit years it took Vlad to admit that we did need a manager after all.).

I've no idea if it's a record but this could rumble on for a bit yet.

We might be waiting for our plan B to get back from their holidays and then there might be the 8 day trip to Lithuania, who knows?:sad:

The disappointment in 'losing' MM is (for me) not so much because it was McGhee in particular, but more because of the type of manager he represents. The hope was that this appointment would have signalled an admission from VR that his meddling wasn't working, and that he would finally be prepared to appoint a manager with relatively complete control. The article quoted in the OP suggests that this wasn't entirely the case with MM, and that some ..erm, input from VR would still happen, which I find surprising.

Jefferies might be another manager prepared to tolerate no interference, but his appointment wouldn't be particularly imaginative and I think VR might legitimately have sleepless nights if he gave JJ any serious money to spend (think Petric...).

Billy Davies may have set about touting himself for the job in a way that VR doesn't like, but frankly VR has got to get over his inflexible and sometimes ignorant attitude to those who work for him and focus instead on the main objective which (we all hope) is to make HMFC successful. BD's track record suggests that, if given a free hand, he could do a far better job than JJ.

Other candidates (eg. CL) seem to be ruling themselves out... and I can't see any other worthy candidates waiting in the wings. My fear is that any other appointment would be another wierd and wonderful VR-inspired jaw-dropper, like Rix or Malofeev were. I note also that the article in the Herald didn't rule out the reappearance of Frail.

Might be a long summer...

Geoff Kilpatrick

30 June was always a deadline in my head in any case.

Drylaw Hearts
How do you know that Hearts are not moving forward with plan B?

I don't.

But if Plan B is JJ or CL then nearly a week after being KB'd by MM we still haven't approached thier respective Clubs for permission to speak to either of them.

If Plan B is Billy Davies then we still haven't contacted him.

But I don't think he is in the plan at all or they would have spoken to him well before now. Even if it was just to sound him out.

I get the feeling that MM was the only target and they were so confident in getting him that they didn't even bother having a back up plan.

flecktimus

I seem to remember you ranting the day before Mcghee refused to board the plane.

Have you still got all the Threads bookmarked?

Gigolo-Aunt
I don't.

But if Plan B is JJ or CL then nearly a week after being KB'd by MM we still haven't approached thier respective Clubs for permission to speak to their either of them.

Bit I don't think he is in the plan at all or they would have spoken to him well before now. Even if it was just to sound him out.

I get the feeling that MM was the only target and they were so confident in getting him that they didn't even bother having a back up plan.

Fair enough, mate.

Do think there was a plan B.C etc. You are right though, do think they were very confident of landing MM and will now need to look at the list of names again and decide which avenue is the right one for us.

Would be concerned if it was 2-3 weeks after MM saying no and we were sitting on Kickback having this same disussion.

Would imagine things will pick up pace in the next week.

Guest JamboRobbo
I seem to remember you ranting the day before Mcghee refused to board the plane.

Have you still got all the Threads bookmarked?

:)

I don't.

How do you know? :wacko:

Drylaw Hearts
Fair enough, mate.

Do think there was a plan B.C etc. You are right though, do think they were very confident of landing MM and will now need to look at the list of names again and decide which avenue is the right one for us.

Would be concerned if it was 2-3 weeks after MM saying no and we were sitting on Kickback having this same disussion.

Would imagine things will pick up pace in the next week.

I hope you're right but I remember those words being said many times over in January.

And in February.

Gigolo-Aunt
I hope you're right but I remember those words being said many times over in January.

And in February.

Dont forget March!

Think the last week has told us the reason for this. Just a ****er that things changed at the 11th hour with MM.

Billy the Jambo

In a couple of weeks time i can see the press conference with all the journalists eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new manager.Out steps Campbell Ogilvie with the mad one and say Good afternoon gentlemen it gives me great pleasure today to announce that after a long search for a manager we are pleased to announce that our new manager will be Steven Frail he has signed a 3 year contract and he will have full control of the fax machine . We will not be taking any questions. A fecking nightmare if that happens but i have a feeling that is what going to happen

Who says we are not moving forward with plan B?

Cardiac Rucksack
In a couple of weeks time i can see the press conference with all the journalists eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new manager.Out steps Campbell Ogilvie with the mad one and say Good afternoon gentlemen it gives me great pleasure today to announce that after a long search for a manager we are pleased to announce that our new manager will be Steven Frail he has signed a 3 year contract and he will have full control of the fax machine . We will not be taking any questions. A fecking nightmare if that happens but i have a feeling that is what going to happen

This will definitely not hapen.

Drylaw Hearts
Who says we are not moving forward with plan B?

I answered a similar question on Post #35.

Drylaw Hearts
Dont forget March!

Think the last week has told us the reason for this. Just a ****er that things changed at the 11th hour with MM.

It has certainly set us back not getting MM.

But it was a risk waiting that long relying only on the word of a man who was about to walk out of the 3rd Club in his career.

Gigolo-Aunt

But it was a risk waiting that long relying only on the word of a man who was about to walk out of the 3rd Club in his career.

That was the gamble, mate - a gamble that almost paid of and would have had the majority of Hearts fans back on side with VR.

Nothing much we can do now apart from play the waiting game. Hopefully not too long though.

:)

Exactly. And the fact is many Hearts fans thought it unlikely Mcghee would leave Motherwell for us therefore you have to ask why the hell the regime thought it was so likely. Wait 6 months and can't get the deal signed. Pathetic but unsurprising that they did not immediately move into plan B or C mode.

Craigieboy

I fully expect to see someone appointed before the end of next week.

I think the board know how important it is to have someone in place before the players return to training.

If this rumbles on too long then we are simply ****ed when it comes to next season.

Archived