U20s v Dundee

Mikey1874

scott herbertson

Beith's loan spell at Stirling playing against older pro's week after week as opposed to staying with Hearts u20's has clearly benefited his chances of progressing. Liam Smith being the same with East Fife, really hope we continue this proven strategy.

you could add Walker at Raith to that list

The Treasurer

Beith's loan spell at Stirling playing against older pro's week after week as opposed to staying with Hearts u20's has clearly benefited his chances of progressing. Liam Smith being the same with East Fife, really hope we continue this proven strategy.

I think these examples (and a few others) prove that the U20 league is not the way to bring on young players.

The sooner they go back to a proper reserve league the better, although maybe with a minimum number of U20 players rule

you could add Walker at Raith to that list

...and our Head Coach (at Cowden and QoS). In fact, I'm sure I've read that we used to 'farm' young players out to junior sides as long ago as the 1950's?

We've been doing this for years, it isn't some new master plan and is definitely the way to go. The development league is all well and good but playing week in week out against seasoned pros in the lower league accelerates the progress of most young players.

...and our Head Coach (at Cowden and QoS). In fact, I'm sure I've read that we used to 'farm' young players out to junior sides as long ago as the 1950's?

We've been doing this for years, it isn't some new master plan and is definitely the way to go. The development league is all well and good but playing week in week out against seasoned pros in the lower league accelerates the progress of most young players.

bauld played for newtongrange on loan, ford was at bo-ness, though I'm not so sure he was signed for us at that time as the juniors wasn't as far away from the top as it is now.

I think these examples (and a few others) prove that the U20 league is not the way to bring on young players.

The sooner they go back to a proper reserve league the better, although maybe with a minimum number of U20 players rule

need every club to sign more players including us

how is a reserve league more competitive?

jambos are go!

need every club to sign more players including us

how is a reserve league more competitive?

For decades there has been a roundabout between getting youngsters to play each other in Under/20/21 leagues  to develop or in Reserve Leagues as a stepping stone  that allows them to play against Men just below First Team Level. We have gone through the Under 20 phase  and are now the case is being made to go back to Reserve Football. We will get  alternative groups of countries thrown up to show which method works best.  Make your own  mind up  because I cant.

The Treasurer

For decades there has been a roundabout between getting youngsters to play each other in Under/20/21 leagues  to develop or in Reserve Leagues as a stepping stone  that allows them to play against Men just below First Team Level. We have gone through the Under 20 phase  and are now the case is being made to go back to Reserve Football. We will get  alternative groups of countries thrown up to show which method works best.  Make your own  mind up  because I cant.

The only thing that is certain is that the current (U20) system isn't working

Its tough

I can see an argument for a reserve league but doesn't seem likely. Some clubs seem to favour a B team in competitive leagues like in Spain etc. but its hard to get agreement from all 42 SPFL teams for anything different.

I still believe the main issue towards success is how much the players want it and are prepared to work hard in training etc. But they need to play and probably many good players in Scotland are being lost at this stage. We are lucky our players got a chance.

bauld played for newtongrange on loan, ford was at bo-ness, though I'm not so sure he was signed for us at that time as the juniors wasn't as far away from the top as it is now.

Donald was signed from Bo'ness United in 1964 ( bonus for Bo'ness as he was a Linlithgow boy ) Linlithgow then signed Bo'ness lad Colin Grant who went to Hibs. Hibs then farmed out John Blackley to Bo'ness and both he and Donald went to World Cup finals in 1974. More common these days for ex seniors to join juniors late in career ( Bo'ness had Kevin Thomas some years back eg )

A Wee bit of trivia as it's surprising how many Hearts fans get it wrong.

From which club did we sign Willie Bauld ?

I think the trick is Newtongrange star.

In actual fact I believe it was Musselburgh. Some English team failed to get him just before us.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I think the development loan concept is an interesting one. Is there a limit to the number of these you can have outgoing at once? If not I do not see why Hearts don't make wider use of it, playing against seasoned pros week in week out and yet being able to train full time at Riccarton. Surely that would help progress the vast majority of our young players who are not in immediate first team plans. And even those on the fringes could have recall clauses in case of an injury crisis.

I think the trick is Newtongrange star.

In actual fact I believe it was Musselburgh. Some English team failed to get him just before us.

It was actually Edinburgh City....

It was actually Edinburgh City....

He was bought from Musselburgh Union and then loaned out to Newtongrange Star and Edinburgh City and Hearts brought him back from his loan to play for them.

Source: London Hearts 

And it was Sunderland who almost had a deal done but between the first falling through and their second attempt we snapped him up.

He was bought from Musselburgh Union and then loaned out to Newtongrange Star and Edinburgh City and Hearts brought him back from his loan to play for them.

His transfer of a professional ( signing paper) shows his transfer from Edinburgh City to Hearts.

Source: London Hearts

Archived