Title Talk

Cast No Shadow

Cast No Shadow

Thankfully this utter nonsense can now be put to bed.

We are in a total dogfight with Aberdeen for second place and it will likely go to the final few games of the season.

Cast No Shadow

St. Johnstone will not trouble us or Aberdeen for the top three. They might even take points off us, but still won't finish higher.

glastonbury jambo

We are in a total dogfight with Aberdeen for second place and it will likely go to the final few games of the season.

ach-away-and-dinny-talk-pish.png

I dont know anyone who thought we could challenge for the league title.

Oshi, Augustyn....to name 2. Embarrassing chat to be frank!

What needs to be put to bed is the thought that a Piss poor Celtic team CANNOT be challenged.

They might be piss poor but they are still stronger than us. Of course we should try to get as many points as we can but I won't be disappointed if we come second or third. If thst makes me a loser then so be it.

We will finish 3rd, with a small chance of 2nd. This has always been the case although I didn't think we'd be so close to 2nd.

What needs to be put to bed is the thought that a Piss poor Celtic team CANNOT be challenged.

This, we're the third biggest club in this country, we shouldn't be shy about wanting to win the league ffs!

I don't care if we fall flat on our face, we get back up and we try again.

Pretty sure there was a thread after 4 games in to the season with a few posters getting carried away with the title chat.

Agree with what Dave says.

The shaky moments in our game make me wonder if we'll even get 3rd place. I really want us to have a run Europe as it'll do wonders for our finances and any potential developments (e.g. stadium).

They might be piss poor but they are still stronger than us. Of course we should try to get as many points as we can but I won't be disappointed if we come second or third. If thst makes me a loser then so be it.

Pretty much this. 

We will finish 3rd, with a small chance of 2nd. This has always been the case although I didn't think we'd be so close to 2nd.

I think we're more than capable of finishing 2nd. We might not, but we're certainly capable.

I think it would be a great achievement if we did though.

queensferryjambo

Oshi, Augustyn....to name 2. Embarrassing chat to be frank!

Football players talking up their teams chances isn't the same as them actually believing they could win the league IMO. Players get stuck in press conferences and talk some rubbish at times, they aren't exactly UN diplomats they are guys who kick a ball about a park for 90 minutes.

It is embarrassing chat but what else are they meant to say? :)

I haven't heard one single supporter saying we could win the title.

I think we should believe we can win the League until it is mathematically impossible.

I then think we should believe we can come second until it is mathematically impossible.

Same for third etc

If you don't believe you can achieve anything - then quite simply you never will.

Exactly what harm does it do to set your sights as high as possible?

I think we're more than capable of finishing 2nd. We might not, but we're certainly capable.

I think it would be a great achievement if we did though.

We definitely are and there's still a chance, but from the start of the season I've expected us to finish 3rd and I haven't changed my mind on that. I didn't expect Aberdeen to have such a drastic collapse in form though, that's allowed us to nip in and at least be in the race.

We definitely are and there's still a chance, but from the start of the season I've expected us to finish 3rd and I haven't changed my mind on that. I didn't expect Aberdeen to have such a drastic collapse in form though, that's allowed us to nip in and at least be in the race.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

But at the same time I'd hope we improve more as the season progresses, given the number of new signings in our squad. I wouldn't expect Aberdeen to make the same level of improvement given their squad is largely the same as last seasons.

It could all be decided by who does the better business in January. If we can sign another striker who can have the same sort of impact as Zeefuik did last season, and maybe bring in another quality wide player, we can seriously think about nailing 2nd place.

Genuinely don't know anyone who thought we'd challenge for the title.

Same, the only people who actually think we can win the league are the supporters on here who don't actually go to games and don't see how poor players like Oshaniwa actually are.

Francis Albert

I think we should believe we can win the League until it is mathematically impossible.

I then think we should believe we can come second until it is mathematically impossible.

Same for third etc

If you don't believe you can achieve anything - then quite simply you never will.

Agreed. Our aim should be to win every game we play. As of now, if we do, we win the league.

Why would you aim to do anything else?

It's fine aiming to win the league as long as you don't completely lose the plot when we inevitably don't. Every team aims to win every game.

Jambof3tornado

If we lose at Pittodrie Aberdeen will start to creep away from us. I think we will end up scrapping with St Johnstone for 3rd spot.

At this point I'd be gutted to finish below 3rd.

At the start of the season I'd have gone with top 6 being acceptable.

Cast No Shadow

Genuinely don't know anyone who thought we'd challenge for the title.

On a personal level, same here. There are several fantasists in this very thread, though.

They will be weeded out before long.

Agreed, but does that mean we can't challenge Celtic?

Cast No Shadow

Agreed, but does that mean we can't challenge Celtic?

We quite clearly can't, aren't and won't. No other club will.

It's probably too late now but 1 different sub last week and 3 central midfielders this week and it's a totally different story (potentially)

And he's not praying

Come January I suspect even the most optimistic will realise that a Euro spot is what the goal is, and always has been.

We've come a long way in a short time and the club is doing great but there will be blips along the way, whether that's results or players that are signed.

Stability on and off the park over the next few years should allow us to build. If that happens we might then be in a position to mount a challenge.

It's fine aiming to win the league as long as you don't completely lose the plot when we inevitably don't. Every team aims to win every game.

Did Hearts set out to beat Celtic at Parkhead a few weeks ago?

On a personal level, same here. There are several fantasists in this very thread, though.

They will be weeded out before long.

I presume you refer to the fantasists as positive minded people?

Well you are wrong my friend about us being weeded out - Winners never stop trying. On the other hand you will find Defeatists have a self fulfilling prophecy and give up quite easily. 

In fact they expect to lose, and that puts them perfectly in their comfort zone.

Well we might have done if Nicholson hadn't been wiped out at the end. There's different ways to win a football match, we were on a bad run of form and were away at the champions so we had every right to sit in, ride our luck a bit (or a lot) and try to hit them on the break.

And he's not praying

Well you are wrong my friend about us being weeded out - Winners never stop trying. On the other hand you will find Defeatists have a self fulfilling prophecy and give up quite easily.

In fact they expect to lose, and that puts them perfectly in their comfort zone.

And there are realists somewhere inbetween.

Celtic will win the league by at least 15-20points. The difference in budget and, in general, the quality of player that attracts is so far ahead of the rest.

Same for third etc

Agree 100% , you have to go into a season thinking you can win it.

I thought we can win the league at the start of the season. After seein what Celtic have offered up so far, I'm probably more convinced now that we can do it.

Yes, of course we did.  We tried to do it by stopping Celtic from scoring and looking to take advantage of the odd set piece or slip-up from them.  It almost worked too, taking a deliberate last-man foul from Ambrose to stop us from having a great goalscoring chance at the end.

Cast No Shadow

^^^ Walter Mitty

Nothing wrong with thinking you can be 2nd, 3rd at worst but not thinking you can win outright is wrong.

I really really wish people would realise integrating the right attitude is massive. Do we go every season saying  .."ach, maybe not this season"......this trend just carries on and on.....then you get the "5 year plan" fans.....no better time than the present to start believing you can be winners. If you fall short, fine, but do  it trying, do it with the right way of thinking...

And im talking about fans too, afterall our voice is heard, we are the ones backing the team giving them the vibe of how we feel, what we expect ..etc..

There's a great interview with Claudio Ranieri from the other day:

?Leicester City are constructed in a way to reach other objectives, not to win the Premier League.?

That's us too isn't it? Robbie and co. are just being realistic. As fans we can dream of winning the title but I'd rather the folk running the club were a bit more grounded and looked at it as a secondary objective behind getting into Europe, developing youth, etc and slowly improving over time. Of course they want to win the league but we really don't have the squad. If we lose important players we've got raw teenagers as cover. Celtic have million pound internationals on their bench.

That said, Celtic are weak so I'm hopeful we could sign a couple of players in January and at least get close. We can certainly compete with Aberdeen for 2nd which is way better than I expected for this season.

Let's move forward this season and hopefully get second or third.

Then hopefully we can build for next season to have a right challenge.

mahgrassyshoes

I find folk saying that we definitely can't win the league more embarrassing than people saying we have a chance. Nobody is saying we're stick ons to win the league but people have to acknowledge that this is the best opportunity teams have to take the league from glasgow.

If hearts and Aberdeen could both get some consistency and go in decent runs there is a chance one of us could pip celtic to the title. It's a slim chance, but it's there.

Dream big and fall short. Get up and try again.

^^^ Walter Mitty

I apologise for calling you a buffoon. You actually have no idea whether I am a Walter Mitty character or not.

So I tell you what - lets meet for a friendly beer at the next home game and discuss what you have achieved through being negative, against what I have achieved being positive.

And don't worry if you can't afford it - I am happy to pay for all the beers.

What do you say?

N Lincs Jambo

Absolutely! Thank Christ we dropped those three points away to Hamilton from being a goal up with 10 minutes to play with that roaster Collum in charge. Thank Christ we dropped those 2 points at home to Killie from being a goal up and heaven forbid it but we actually made a sensible substitution last week against Dundee otherwise we might still be just the one point off the top and all the roasters on here who thought we could actually challenge would still be going on about it.

Dropped points!! Thank f#@k for that!

Bazzas right boot

Part of the reason no one will challenge the OF was shown at the end of the ICT game today.

Hughes- laughing and smiling and back slapping John Collins at the full time whistle after getting beat 3-1 at home.

I don't have the clip but it highlights the cultural shift required for any other team to serious challenge the OF, and for the time being Celtic.

Archived