U.S youth soccer ban heading

Maroon Sailor

You see to prove you don't.

To function at your level at least. 

Header a lot of balls as a kid? 

you see    m to have bounced your head of something hard pretty often

Maroon Sailor

I wonder if fans in the crowd will stop trying to head the ball now when it comes their way.

highlandjambo3

if you had been hit on the head as hard and as often as I have.....................................you would dificult string a find together it sentence to..............TAXI

While I get your sentiment (i.e. that head injuries from sport are a big issue in the US), it's probably a bit of a stretch to state that they killed themselves in order to allow their brains to be studied.

I think they killed themselves because they couldn't cope with the consequences of the brain injuries they'd suffered. The particular method of suicide chosen was to allow their brains to be studied after their deaths.

A friend of mines Dad used to play as a centre half for Crystal Palace many many moons ago. In his day he was famous for getting his head in where others feared to do so and was known as unbeatable in the air. He?s passed away now but when I met him, albeit in his 80?s, it was like listening to Muhamed Ali, his speach and memory were all shot. I realise that there are a whole range of potential medical reasons for such conditions but it always made me think, was it to do with heading them big leather balls, particularly when soaken wet? 

its only a matter of time before the desk jockeys, justifying their existence, have made a rule for every wrinkle in life making everything flat and bland that we can all just hook up to the matrix and live out an extended version of sim city or do what lemmings do and head for the cliffs to save us from the utter boredom of life

I think they killed themselves because they couldn't cope with the consequences of the brain injuries they'd suffered. The particular method of suicide chosen was to allow their brains to be studied after their deaths.

Yes, that's more like it. And to be fair, is probably what was meant in the post I quoted.

Understand the cynicism

That said I think that ball on the deck football in the formative years of footballers would help their technical development so I don't see the downside to be honest.

While I'm sure that many will flip the lid at this, it's sensible. Sports (obviously more contact sports) are starting to learn more and more that head trauma is cumulative. The impact on kids brains which are less well protected means they are at much more risk. I mean, how many hear have been left feeling a little punch drunk from winning a header that was hit with venom or involved a clash of heads. Now they are saying that concussions are absolutely disastrous for your brain, I suppose this makes sense.

Added bonus it though that those kids will through their formative years learn to play ball to feet rather than resorting to thumped balls at the tallest lad. SP that's a genuine step forward in terms of learning to play 'properly.'

Pretty much where I'm at. It makes sense, and I think it comes on the back of some standard US court case that some parents have risen against a team/jurisdiction, so it's unsurprising the associations are looking to perfect themselves as well.

Generally I think the US is more aware of this kind of potential issue because of the rise in injuries, deaths and general conversation about concussions in American Football.

I read an article last month about high schools which are having to cut their American Football programmes because too few kids are signing up to it, while soccer is seeing memberships rocket.

Understand the cynicism

That said I think that ball on the deck football in the formative years of footballers would help their technical development so I don't see the downside to be honest.

Was about to post the same. If the ball ends up in the air and comes to you, you'll be forced to learn the skill of chesting it down and controlling it, rather than just get your head on it. I like it.

joondalupjambo

Do you think I can sue the Cubs organisation?  They made me play football between 8 and 11 years old, week in week out, at Inverleith Park and sure they made me header the ball on a regular basis.  I am now bald.  I think it could be because they made me header the ball.   Do you think if they had been more careful, looked after me and had better duty of care policies that I would have a full head of hair now? Hmmm.....

Hated heading the ball when I played, always hurt regardless of the technique so I rarely did it. Still never stopped me playing for years though.

for every medical man complaining about fat arsed kids not exersizing, theres a rule maker, inking his pen to stop them, welcome to the day we all stopped living and just existed.

Archived