U.S youth soccer ban heading

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Per the new protocol, children 10 and under will be barred from heading the ball during any official session ? practice or game ? while players ages 11 to 13 will be allowed to head the ball during games only.

The balls they have these days it's like heading a pillow.

Try heading a freshly pumped up mitre from the 90s in mid December after it was left outside on a frosty night.

Per the new protocol, children 10 and under will be barred from heading the ball during any official session ? practice or game ? while players ages 11 to 13 will be allowed to head the ball during games only.

While I'm sure that many will flip the lid at this, it's sensible. Sports (obviously more contact sports) are starting to learn more and more that head trauma is cumulative. The impact on kids brains which are less well protected means they are at much more risk. I mean, how many hear have been left feeling a little punch drunk from winning a header that was hit with venom or involved a clash of heads. Now they are saying that concussions are absolutely disastrous for your brain, I suppose this makes sense.

Added bonus it though that those kids will through their formative years learn to play ball to feet rather than resorting to thumped balls at the tallest lad. SP that's a genuine step forward in terms of learning to play 'properly.'

Try heading a freshly pumped up mitre from the 90s in mid December after it was left outside on a frosty night.

Aye, A Mitre Tactic to the top of the head was enough to leave you wondering which way home was.

Son Of Anarchy

Or indeed a wet pigskin ball from much earlier. Football technology is incredible nowadays. Balls are so light I fail to see how they could cause brain damage or similar.

Aye, A Mitre Tactic to the top of the head was enough to leave you wondering which way home was.

i remember heading those balls were like bricks especially in the cold if u didnt have boots on as well it was sore to even kick the thing thinking back to late 90s now how i would dive on concrete when in goals playing at lunchtime pretty hardcore to think back of it now lol but u didnt want to let any goals in so u just dived to save the ball anyways thats real football for the love of the game and winning 

no heading, no tackling, we could just stand still pick the ball up and throw it, call it hand ball or some other arty farty name.

if this is good then boxing has to stop forever. matial arts of all sorts, wrestling all that rolling about must give you a sore back eventually, mountaineering how more dangerous do you want, dangly thousands o feet up in the air on a string, unable to feel anything breath properly in the cold air. that lassie that went out in a wee boat and sailed round the world, how feckin irresponsible was that, in fact should we not be jailing these people for wilful suicide.

no heading, no tackling, we could just stand still pick the ball up and throw it, call it hand ball or some other arty farty name.

if this is good then boxing has to stop forever. matial arts of all sorts, wrestling all that rolling about must give you a sore back eventually, mountaineering how more dangerous do you want, dangly thousands o feet up in the air on a string, unable to feel anything breath properly in the cold air. that lassie that went out in a wee boat and sailed round the world, how feckin irresponsible was that, in fact should we not be jailing these people for wilful suicide.

Is the point not that brain health is completely essential for life whereas bone/muscle grumbles and other such mechanical things aren't? There's different degrees of risk.

Fort Vallance

And expecting volunteers to risk their lives and the state to fund their rescue if it goes pear shaped.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Remember the days footballs had laces as well? When one of those worked loose it was like being lashed across the face with a whip...

ur mom bro

While I'm sure that many will flip the lid at this, it's sensible. Sports (obviously more contact sports) are starting to learn more and more that head trauma is cumulative. The impact on kids brains which are less well protected means they are at much more risk. I mean, how many hear have been left feeling a little punch drunk from winning a header that was hit with venom or involved a clash of heads. Now they are saying that concussions are absolutely disastrous for your brain, I suppose this makes sense.

Added bonus it though that those kids will through their formative years learn to play ball to feet rather than resorting to thumped balls at the tallest lad. SP that's a genuine step forward in terms of learning to play 'properly.'

Aye. Games gone soft eh? Unless kids are risking head injuries for no discernible reason there's no point in playing football.

I'd point out that unless you're fighting at the upper levels, most combat sports insist on head guards. Similarly, you'd be lucky to find many mountaineers that don't wear helmets for serious climbs in touch conditions.

I could argue that, given you can make minor changes to the game in order to facilitate this, getting kids to head the ball isn't really that important and won't have much effect on enjoyment.

highlandjambo3

Is that the one when wet you squared it with the forehead only for the sides of the ball to fold round your face and smack you in the back of the head??...............bit like Alien face hugger

Is the point not that brain health is completely essential for life whereas bone/muscle grumbles and other such mechanical things aren't? There's different degrees of risk.

we all have free choice to make our own decisions, fair enough being made aware of the dangers but you have to take part in life, every day theres summit that's not good for you, take away all the food stuffs they've said are bad for you over the years and you'd be struggling to get a glass of healthy water.

do you need a perfect brain, for never coming out the womb, we've gotta live even with all lifes dangers

Aye. Games gone soft eh? Unless kids are risking head injuries for no discernible reason there's no point in playing football.

I'd point out that unless you're fighting at the upper levels, most combat sports insist on head guards. Similarly, you'd be lucky to find many mountaineers that don't wear helmets for serious climbs in touch conditions.

I could argue that, given you can make minor changes to the game in order to facilitate this, getting kids to head the ball isn't really that important and won't have much effect on enjoyment.

is it easy living life wrapped in cotton wool, it's almost impossible to be a kid in this world, climb a tree by the time you get all the safety equipment out the fun will have well and truly shot the craw, fukit just lock them up in a room with a playstation, i'm sure that will keep their brains nice and safe

Sexton Hardcastle

In true American style it's probably them saving from any future legal cases like the current ones in American football.

Bazzas right boot

Kids at that age should be encouraged to play with ball at feet anyway.

The thing is, if you haven't headed a ball for 2\3 years then start, will that not cause problems for the brain and the quality of future America centre half's!

In true American style it's probably them saving from any future legal cases like the current ones in American football.

or health and safety trying to justify their existence.

wait till the snp's child spies start getting about, you wont be able to move for fear of endangering summit in a health n safety manual

Or the dreaded lace!

In the 70's when our plastic ball had burst we had to make do with an empty can or plastic bottle.  

:sob:

The Jambo Janny

Or the dreaded lace!

And it left an imprint on the forehead for a day and a half. The old lacer was like a medicine ball when wet as well, near broke my ankle kicking the fekker on a wet and cold Saturday morning at schoolboy matches, and then we would play 'heidie' in the street for hours too, maybe that explains why I am now a forgetful 66 yr old (that's what I'll tell the wife anyway) but on a serious note I dare say there could be some danger for young kids doing too much heading the ball so maybe there should be some caution shown.

Son Of Anarchy

This was my first thought too. My brother in law coaches a female "soccer" team and agrees. Its all about the money, sorry health ;)

FSS man chill out, it's only at under 10 level.

They have banned a few really dangerous e numbers as well lately. But you can still go into Walmart and buy an automatic rifle with a 100 clip magazine and fire it off at 15 rounds a second.

But hey don't head the ball son, you might get killed!!

FFS!!!

When we were younger playing football up the park, there would pretty much be a point every time when we would take in turns to boot the ball as high in the air as we could to each other to see if the other boy would shat out of heading it. I would say happy memories but it is a wee bit fuzzy..........

Seems fair, u10s should be getting used to ball at feet anyway. The problem with 11-13 is that heading in games only means there's not been practice or training or how to head a ball properly. More chance of letting it hit you or head it on the top of your head instead of the forehead.

Where there is blame there is a claim,can I be the first on the long list of JKB members to ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the one when wet you squared it with the forehead only for the sides of the ball to fold round your face and smack you in the back of the head??...............bit like Alien face hugger

That was during the summer. It did that if you were lucky. In the dead of winter the ball didn't flex at all. It was like a hollow cannon ball.

Agree that it could be looked upon as a positive if it encourages playing the ball along the ground.

If they think there's any link between dementia and heading a ball frequently as a child then it can't really be said this is a bad thing TBH. Although I wonder why U11s and U13s is the chosen age? Is there any evidence more damage is done by headering a ball up to age 13?

Could have interesting implications on the rest of youth football and the adult game if it's thought heading is a significant contributory factor to dementia. My gran has it though, and as far as I can tell she was never a centre half.

I can mind playing football for an hour in the games hall at school with a basketball when a supply teacher never turned up and the footballs were locked away :vrface: Lucky no one died.

Jambof3tornado

Heading the ball isnt an issue for me but treatment after a head clash is important to get right.

Not convinced by any evidence linking dementia etc to heading footballs.

Perth to Paisley

Having read some of your previous posts; are you sure?

Joking

Yup, probably true enough. But probably worth noting that many dangerous practices, products etc. have disappeared as a result of lawsuits. So not necessarily a bad thing.

Maybe someone should sue a gun manufacturer in response to a gun death. Oh, wait a minute...

May as well just remove corner kicks from the game. Stupid rule. Won't be long until they start 'touch soccer'

Once got knocked out completely after being smacked a cracker from a miter while playing crossy/hot arse.

Woke up about 5 mins later with my dad in a panic. Had a bad cuncussion but apart from that i am fine djdhsiejdjdjdjsjsj

Yeah wjere was going with this?

You should Google Dave Duerson and Junior Seau.  2 former NFL players who each shot themselves in the chest so their brains could be studied for trauma (Duerson left a note and although Seau did not it's thought he had a similar wish). It was discovered both men had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

You should Google Dave Duerson and Junior Seau. 2 former NFL players who each shot themselves in the chest so their brains could be studied for trauma (Duerson left a note and although Seau did not it's thought he had a similar wish). It was discovered both men had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

While I get your sentiment (i.e. that head injuries from sport are a big issue in the US), it's probably a bit of a stretch to state that they killed themselves in order to allow their brains to be studied.

Toe bashes will be banned next.

Walking down a street one day and saw a football lying on the path up ahead.

Stuck the toe bash right into it.

Local dickheads had cut it open and filled it with stones.

Big toe shattered like glass.

Remember Jimmy Boco got knocked spark out by the ball from a free kick? might have even happened twice in the same game? he was never the same

do you need a perfect brain, 

You see to prove you don't.

To function at your level at least. 

Header a lot of balls as a kid? 

Archived