Levein's Loyalty Poll

Charlie-Brown

Where & With Whom Do Craig Leveins Loyalties lie?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Where & With Whom Do Craig Leveins Loyalties lie?

Charlie-Brown

This is something that has troubled me all week how so many people just blindly accept that Craig Levein has greater loyalty to Eddie Thompson, a man with whom he has worked for 20 months, than his loyalty to HEARTS with whom he has played & coached for 20+ years. It even seems to be the concensus that Hearts shouldn't approach CL & let him be at Tannadice.....to me this strikes as a rejection of Hearts (of course we would have to offer him a return first) but the general feeling is it's pointless asking.......whichever way I look at it even allowing for sympathy / emotional ties to Thompson it still boils down to would Craig Levein actually turn his back on Hearts if push came to shove?

Who has Craig Levein's greater loyalty? Hearts or Eddie Thompson?

Charlie-Brown

As I see it - if people really believe that in our current situation Craig Levein would be a better manager for Hearts than other candidates then we must overcome all obstacles and difficulties in persuading him to leave Tannadice even though it would be an emotional battle or struggle and force very hard or tough choices on Levein personally....but in the end I don't care about Dundee United or Eddie Thompson I only care about Hearts!

Himself.

Nothing wrong with that. But that is where his loyalties lie.

He thinks that he is good enough to be a Premiership manager. So he is no doubt planning the way that he can get out of Dundee United and on the next step upward.

Of course after his dismal failure at Leicester it is unlikely that any English team will take a chance on him, but he is arrogant enough to think that he will walk into a Premiership job.

His loyalities certaintly do not lie with DUFC - but equally not with Hearts either.

He will leave UTD in a year or 2 and go back down South - unfinished business he calls it. Of course the situation with Eddie Thomson makes things emotional but one thing we must consider - would he work under VR. I don't think so - regardless of what assurances he was given.

He was sounded out a couple of months ago and gave us a polite NO.

Charlie-Brown
Himself.

Nothing wrong with that. But that is where his loyalties lie.

He thinks that he is good enough to be a Premiership manager. So he is no doubt planning the way that he can get out of Dundee United and on the next step upward.

Of course after his dismal failure at Leicester it is unlikely that any English team will take a chance on him, but he is arrogant enough to think that he will walk into a Premiership job.

I don't doubt there is some truth in what you wrote Coco but what people want & aspire to and the hand that fate or life actually deals them can be markedly different......coming back to Hearts might not be of CL's choosing or on his career plan....but then wars & other crisis often weren't in the minds or plans of great leaders of the past.....sometimes in life a task or calling is thrust upon you. :)

I don't doubt there is some truth in what you wrote Coco but what people want & aspire to and the hand that fate or life actually deals them can be markedly different......coming back to Hearts might not be of CL's choosing or on his career plan....but then wars & other crisis often weren't in the minds or plans of great leaders of the past.....sometimes in life a task or calling is thrust upon you. :)

Much as he would be an improvement on what we have suffered for 2 1/2 years ... I hope nobody goes a calling on CL.:)

Charlie-Brown
His loyalities certaintly do not lie with DUFC - but equally not with Hearts either.

He will leave UTD in a year or 2 and go back down South - unfinished business he calls it. Of course the situation with Eddie Thomson makes things emotional but one thing we must consider - would he work under VR. I don't think so - regardless of what assurances he was given.

He was sounded out a couple of months ago and gave us a polite NO.

I agree that in ideal circumstances Levein would probably prefer to stay at Tannadice and try to earn a move back south, but we aren't in ideal circumstances and we are where we are - if we think Levein is now the best man for the job then we should force the issue.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Craig Levein and the Thompsons have an excellent working relationship and, from what I've seen of Craig, he can be brutally honest at times. Therefore, if he has said to them that he won't move to us, he won't move. Simple as that.

Of the legendary shortlist, that only really leaves JJ, IMHO.

I agree that in ideal circumstances Levein would probably prefer to stay at Tannadice and try to earn a move back south, but we aren't in ideal circumstances and we are where we are - if we think Levein is now the best man for the job then we should force the issue.

I honestly think the Romanov factor is the one reason he wont consider a return at this point!

Charlie-Brown
I honestly think the Romanov factor is the one reason he wont consider a return at this point!

That is just an excuse - he's not Hearts minded if that's the case....the potential rewards (and scope for career advancement) are much higher at Hearts...as is the compensation if it didn't work out...anybody with Hearts best interests at heart would at least try to make it work not shy away & make excuses.

Jambo Hoggie

It's not so much as where his loyalties lie. Ok I think his loyalties lie with Hearts but he's got a good relationship with ET and with all the problems that surrounds the managers job at Hearts, I'm not too sure he'll want to leave DUFC.

Jambo Hoggie

What he said.

Pants Shaton

Levein's loyalty should lie in this order:

His family, Himself, Hearts, Eddie Thompson.

Not sure how a poll can establish someone elses state of mind.

From January 1st he should have been our number one choice:

Every time his name is mentioned in connection with the Hearts job, a concerted character assassination and rewriting of history seems to take place. I’m not going to portray Levein as a saintly figure, he is human and, like any other normal human, his main responsibility is to himself and his family. Anyone claiming otherwise, and especially those who claim loyalty to a football club should take preference, needs to take a good look in the mirror. It’s easy to claim that you’d never leave Hearts if that situation is never likely to present itself.

Does anyone believe the established recent ‘legends’ of our club, Robertson and Mackay, would have remained at Hearts if the Old Firm had offered to triple their salaries? Had they left would they be considered legends now? I don’t want to belittle the achievements of players who achieved, respectively, goal scoring and appearance records for Hearts, but rather the concept of a football legend. How much of their revered status do they owe to virtue, selflessness or loyalty and how much simply reflects opportunity and circumstance? For me, Levein is every bit as much a legend as Robertson and Mackay and, had it not been for injury, the most able player. Of those three, only one openly touted himself for the manager’s post at Hibernian (it wasn’t Levein), thankfully he was unsuccessful.

Most Hearts supporters wouldn’t question Craig’s status as a great Hearts player. Sadly some still seem to apportion some of the blame for Dens Park at his door. Who knows what happened that day? The only person capable of answering that question is Levein himself. Whatever the reason he obviously felt his contribution would not benefit the club that day and ultimately that rests upon his conscience.

Appointing Craig Levein as manager was Robinson’s cheap option. However in a career defined by incompetence it turned out to be his best decision in years, probably owing more to fortune than good judgement. Levein arrested the decline that had set in under Jefferies and, in spite of yearly reductions in funds, managed to secure two consecutive third place finishes. His critics argue that we had the 3rd largest budget in Scottish football but, as bitter experience teaches us, that doesn’t automatically translate to success. The detractors argue that the football was appalling and the Hibs fans revelled in their ‘hoofball’ put-down (managing to neglect over decades of rank-rotten Hibs teams including the Alex Miller ‘glory’ years). The football was not pretty but we won: Tynecastle was a fortress. I would take that, and all my European trips, over their flair fallacy any day. Playing ugly is not Levein’s football philosophy; he’s a pragmatist who recognised how to play to the strengths of the squad. He instilled a spirit in the team which allowed us to win games after going behind (not something we’re used to seeing). He demonstrated the ability to alter tactics and make substitutions which turned games in our favour, rarely displayed by his predecessors or anyone since. There were undoubtedly mistakes – over-caution may have cost us against Bordeaux at Tynecastle or against Rangers in the League Cup Semi – but not many.

Some have doubted his sincerity as a ‘Hearts man’. I would direct them to his celebrations whenever we turned over the vermin. He may not have grown up as a Hearts fan (not unlike another of our legends) but in his 20 year association with the club, I reckon he forged as deep a link as any of us can claim with Hearts. Despite being manager of another SPL team he has never hidden his affection for Heart of Midlothian.

What about the way he abandoned Hearts at a crucial time and plundered our best players? Keeping in mind he had never hidden his ambition to manage in England, it was hardly surprising that he’d seize the opportunity to manage a Championship club. Romanov was poised to become involved with Hearts and had discussions with Levein; it may have been clear that their working relationship was unlikely to last (hindsight confirms this). There were well documented personal reasons for Levein wanting to leave Scotland; some claim these were his most pressing concern. Does the promise of more money, managing in England, leaving an uncertain future at Hearts and making a fresh start seem unreasonable grounds for leaving? Did he leave at a crucial time? Were we really likely to qualify from our UEFA group having punched above our weight to get there? Would our better players not have moved on anyway?

But he was a failure at Leicester! What was he ever likely to achieve in one of the world’s most competitive leagues whilst being asked to slash costs? That argument carries as much weight as those who claim George Burley was ‘found out’ at Southampton. He has certainly gone some way to restoring his reputation at Dundee United and, as always, conducts himself in an assured and professional manner.

“The manager, who will have full responsibility for team selection, will be an experienced football manager and will preferably have experience of management in British football.”

Craig Levein is that man (and a Hearts man to boot).

The Hearts job is probably not a risk worth taking for someone with ambitions of managing at a higher level in England - something which I'm sure he's capable of. Monkeyheid managed it.

Charlie-Brown
Levein's loyalty should lie in this order:

His family, Himself, Hearts, Eddie Thompson.

Not sure how a poll can establish someone elses state of mind.

From January 1st he should have been our number one choice:

The Hearts job is probably not a risk worth taking for someone with ambitions of managing at a higher level in England - something which I'm sure he's capable of. Monkeyheid managed it.

That was a very good 'quoted' post you made GMAN I hadn't seen that before :)

Anyway regardless of any obstacles or obstructions we (Hearts fans & club) should be DEMANDING Levein returns if we decide he's the best man for the job

Robbo27_22

Besides the fact that CL got the hump (quite literally) the last time he was here, would you jump into the uncertainty at our club just now?

The Real Maroonblood

Without doubt Hearts. Apparently he use the word "Pain" when asked about the vacancy. He probably finds himself between a rock and a hard place due to Eddiie Thomson's health situation.

Marmeladent?rtchen

He and everyone else,,,,,

Charlie-Brown
Without doubt Hearts. Apparently he use the word "Pain" when asked about the vacancy. He probably finds himself between a rock and a hard place due to Eddiie Thomson's health situation.

Life often isn't easy TRM and sometimes difficult & painful decisions have to be made but surely Levein couldn't turn down Hearts for a man & club he's known for only 20 months even if they have given him a place on the board.....does that count more than 20+ YEARS at Hearts?

Pants Shaton
Life often isn't easy TRM and sometimes difficult & painful decisions have to be made but surely Levein couldn't turn down Hearts for a man & club he's known for only 20 months even if they have given him a place on the board.....does that count more than 20+ YEARS at Hearts?

It's not simply a question of HMFC versus DUFC!

He is an ambitious man - I wouldn't want any other type of person as our manager. Coming to Hearts NOW may not be the best step from a career progression perspective.

VR conflates ambition with disloyalty, which is why the only people (to date) that Romanov has been satisfied with are mediocrities who have reached their peak at Tynecastle.

An interesting & enjoyable thread. (one of few on kickback)

I think coco is right in that Craig's priority is Craig- that's not a criticism its just a fact.

I admire CL's strength of character, not least of all his willingness to challenge injustice and to speak his mind. Its strange, but the truth is that I never really truly warmed to him, in the way I did to guys like, Ford, Cruickie, Gary Mackay & Robbo. I do like him however and would be delighted to see hi back at Tynie. I liked it particularly when he used to get it right up Tony mobry, his coments were class.

Its slightly ironic that Hearts gave him his two big opportunities, as a player and as a manager, and it has to be said looked after him well, during two prolonged absences due to injury, emotionally you'd (perhaps) expect him to help us out in our time of need?

Bottom line is that I doubt Craig will come home, mainly because, as Coco said Craig's priority is Craig.

The Real Maroonblood
Life often isn't easy TRM and sometimes difficult & painful decisions have to be made but surely Levein couldn't turn down Hearts for a man & club he's known for only 20 months even if they have given him a place on the board.....does that count more than 20+ YEARS at Hearts?[/QUOTE]

A fair point considering through these years Hearts certainly looked after him with all his injuries and that should also sway him. Maybe VR approaching him directly would convince him.

Charlie-Brown

Levein had 3 bad injuries, the initial knee-ligament injury, he then broke down again after making his return and the final injury that ended his career....as John S says above we took him as a young boy from Cowdenbeath and gave him his big chance to play in the SPL, we took him as a young manager from Cowden beath and gave him his big chance to manage in the SPL....we gave him TWO testimonial / benefit matches...and I still think he has a better chance of making an impression at Hearts than at Tannadice.

Robbo27_22
Levein had 3 bad injuries, the initial knee-ligament injury, he then broke down again after making his return and the final injury that ended his career....as John S says above we took him as a young boy from Cowdenbeath and gave him his big chance to play in the SPL, we took him as a young manager from Cowden beath and gave him his big chance to manage in the SPL....we gave him TWO testimonial / benefit matches...and I still think he has a better chance of making an impression at Hearts than at Tannadice.

So what was the point of a poll?

You asked peoples opinions, you got them and now cos it doesn't fall in with your line of thought, everyone else is wrong?

Is this Nazi Germany?

Guess The Crowd

NMH, I think there's an obvious compromise here, namely Hearts set their sights on landing CL 12 months from now. The main reason for this is fairly obvious, and additionally I think I read this week that his current contract expires then.

This is where Jefferies comes in. He takes over as team manager now, steadies the ship, and moves upstairs in a year's time.

Not he perfect solution in an ideal world. But, as you said yourself, we are where we are, and it may be the solution that best fits the current circumstances.

When CL left Hearts first time round his stock was high.

When CL left Leicester his stock had dropped some what.

Currently his stock is high again after doing an excellent job at D.Utd whilst the Hearts job is nowhere near as attractive as it was a few years ago.

The question is would he be prepared to take an almighty gamble and work for Romanov ?? Simply put but that's what it comes down to and I find it very ironic that such a fervent defender of Vlad is trying to turn the heat on Levein rather than understand why he would have massive reservations (though NMH does seem to be getting a bit desperate probably much like the regime).

I don't agree that CL is a "Hearts man". He was never a fan, he would not have stayed as a player bar for injuries and has only proved himself to a certain "efficient" level as a manager. We really should not be risking further embarassment by making a public approach to him. THERE ARE PLENTY MANAGERS BETTER THAN FRAIL, MALOFEEV ETC

Pants Shaton
I don't agree that CL is a "Hearts man". He was never a fan, he would not have stayed as a player bar for injuries and has only proved himself to a certain "efficient" level as a manager. We really should not be risking further embarassment by making a public approach to him. THERE ARE PLENTY MANAGERS BETTER THAN FRAIL, MALOFEEV ETC

OK. Then the same applies to John Robertson.

Grew up as a Hibs fan.

Left Hearts for a bigger club.

Touted himself for the Hibs manager job whilst at ICT (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/inverness_ct/3635083.stm).

JR has some Hearts genes, CL does not and I wouldn't touch JR as manager, much as I loved him as a player.

Pants Shaton
JR has some Hearts genes, CL does not and I wouldn't touch JR as manager, much as I loved him as a player.

51JWHM2JM8L.jpg

i believe the best way to make sure your not embarassed is to have someone sound out a potential manager if he's be interested in manageing hearts. then if you know he's up for the job make a formal approach to his club. if he's not interested there's no harm done.

My belief is that Craig Levein undoubtedly has a soft spot for Hearts as a club. However, that does not mean that he should be expected to come running blindly if or when they call him.

The man has a life of his own to get on with and any decisions on where and who he works with will no doubt be made on professional values only which in truth is what almost everyone on here would do as well.

Sadly, it would probably be harder for him to walk out on Dundee utd right now given the circumstances surrounding their owner and again some would call it showing loyalty while others may say he'd be showing misguided loyalty.

Don't think Craig can win either way but I would never believe that he never had our club in his heart.

Marmeladent?rtchen

I dont think its anything to with Craig Levein love/loyalty to Hearts.

It's more to with Vlads '80-20 rule'. We cant expect him to sign a contract he is not happy with just because he has love of the team.

Guest JamboRobbo
I dont think its anything to with Craig Levein love/loyalty to Hearts.

It's more to with Vlads '80-20 rule'. We cant expect him to sign a contract he is not happy with just because he has love of the team.

I don't know if this 80-20 thing is correct or not. But if it is, Vlad is taking the **** out of us AGAIN, and we are wasting our time worrying about any appointment of any manager.

I believe his emotional ties to this club are very deep and stronger than any other on a personal level (as evidenced by the letter he wrote to my son when he originally left Hearts a few years ago). One thing people must remember is that he never got to play at the level he should have achieved (without injury he would probably have been the best Scottish centre-back of his generation). When coupled with the harsh treatment he received at Leicester, this must fuel a professional pride to reach the highest level he can in management. He's been upfront about this so I can't understand some people's attitude to him.

I think he's given ET promises he won't leave during his current contract and, quite honestly , if this is the case we should respect that decision.

I do see CL returning to manage us again, but it will be many years in the future and after he has achieved his ambition (maybe as a last hurrah).

Civil Jambo
This is something that has troubled me all week how so many people just blindly accept that Craig Levein has greater loyalty to Eddie Thompson, a man with whom he has worked for 20 months, than his loyalty to HEARTS with whom he has played & coached for 20+ years. It even seems to be the concensus that Hearts shouldn't approach CL & let him be at Tannadice.....to me this strikes as a rejection of Hearts (of course we would have to offer him a return first) but the general feeling is it's pointless asking.......whichever way I look at it even allowing for sympathy / emotional ties to Thompson it still boils down to would Craig Levein actually turn his back on Hearts if push came to shove?

He loves Hearts but remember he left us the second Romanov came so i dont think he would be interested in working for him

scott herbertson

A leading question

My take on the levein situation is that he is an honest man, and has some principles. He made committments to Eddie Thomson.

If Eddie Thomson holds him to these committments I think we would be wrong to try to encourage Levein to break them by inducements or emotional pressure.

Let's be principled ourselves.

If we want Levein back (and he would be my number one choice) then Romanov should personally contact both Thomson and Levein and make an offer to them, conditional on Thomson and Levein both accepting it. No whispers and secret meetings, just an honest discussion.

It may be that if Craig's response is that he will honour a committment for another year, but he ultimately wants to go to Hearts, that Thomson will voluntarily release him from his commitment.

That's the only chance I can see that we can get Levein.

Charlie-Brown

Other things that spring to mind about Levein is that the club stood by him during the infamous Graeme Hogg fighting incident and the subsequent 10 or 12 match ban, Craig as club captain brought shame on himself and the club with those actions but despite him being the perpetrator the club stuck by Levein & ditched Hogg.

He also wasn't sacked as Hearts manager but we let him leave at a time of his choosing that suited him but wasn't ideal for us given we had massive European ties to be played.

Hearts have been very very good to Levein on so many instances in the past.

As regards Tannadice being more attractive than Tynecastle.....it wasn't exactly a paradise of sanity when Levein chose to go there 20 months ago, Eddie Thompson was a serial sacker having swiftly binned several managers in Alex Smith, Ian McCall, Gordon Chisholm, Billy Dodds & Craig Brewster, United had had several consecutive bottom 6 SPL finishes, they wasted huge amounts (??? millions) on poor signings and entreched at the bottom of the table....now Levein has managed to turn that around and that is the same job he'd be asked to do at Tynecastle but apparently he won't come out of supposed loyalty to people quite frankly he didn't know from Adam less than 2 years ago.

Charlie-Brown
A leading question

My take on the levein situation is that he is an honest man, and has some principles. He made committments to Eddie Thomson.

If Eddie Thomson holds him to these committments I think we would be wrong to try to encourage Levein to break them by inducements or emotional pressure.

Let's be principled ourselves.

If we want Levein back (and he would be my number one choice) then Romanov should personally contact both Thomson and Levein and make an offer to them, conditional on Thomson and Levein both accepting it. No whispers and secret meetings, just an honest discussion.

It may be that if Craig's response is that he will honour a committment for another year, but he ultimately wants to go to Hearts, that Thomson will voluntarily release him from his commitment.

That's the only chance I can see that we can get Levein.

Why should we have any concern other than human sympathy for Eddie Thompson and his family - if it was Rangers or Celtic wanting one of their people nobody ever seems to refuse them returning to their club even when either of these clubs has been going through a poorer spell.

I find it staggering that people think oh well Craig's happy at Tannadice despite everything Hearts have ever done for that guy throughout his career...frankly I am a bit miffed by that.

Pants Shaton

NMH,

Even if reason was being ruthlessly applied to this situation, it is far from clear that Hearts are a better option than DUFC in terms of career progression.

People are rarely rational; in football even less so.

Why do you find it so hard to understand one man's respect for, and loyalty to, a dying man who helped rejuvanate his career?

Rational? No. Human? Yes.

Charlie-Brown
NMH,

Even if reason was being ruthlessly applied to this situation, it is far from clear that Hearts are a better option than DUFC in terms of career progression.

People are rarely rational; in football even less so.

Why do you find it so hard to understand one man's respect for, and loyalty to, a dying man who helped rejuvanate his career?

Rational? No. Human? Yes.

Career progression: So he's staying at United to try to get a better job (ie would leave for the right offer..) and that is loyalty & respectful to a dying man in what way?

I don't know how far we get discussing managers' (or players') loyalties.

A few lucky ones get to play for or manage the team that they would support anyway (Tommy Burns or Gary Locke while we had him).

Others become "one of ours" in spite of previous loyalties (Robbo, Pressley and Levein among many).

Most ply their trade wherever fortune takes them.

I think Levein still has a strong affection for Hearts, and all sane Hearts fans rate him highly both as a player and a coach. No-one who has heard Levein as radio pundit for an Edinburgh derby could doubt where his allegiance lies. We don't know if and how Hearts are trying to lure him right now, or on what terms. And he's built up a strong relationship with Eddie Thompson (sp), which makes it difficult for him to consider a move away.

There are a few posts above suggesting that for all that Hearts did for him, CL should simply just answer the call when it is made. Sorry, but that's nonsense. CL owes us nothing.

I once had the misfortune to get a derby ticket for the Hibs end. It was the 1-1 game where John Millar scored a great header. Anyway, what was most interesting was the murmur that went around the Hibs fans when the teams came out and they saw that Levein was playing (returning after a long lay-off). OK, maybe they're not great judges of a player, but they got that right.

I hope he does return but I can't see it happening this time round.

That is just an excuse - he's not Hearts minded if that's the case....the potential rewards (and scope for career advancement) are much higher at Hearts...as is the compensation if it didn't work out...anybody with Hearts best interests at heart would at least try to make it work not shy away & make excuses.

Maybe he doesn't fancy being sacked after a few games and having to persue what he is due through the courts.

Maybe he doesn't want to be forced to have players he doesn't rate in his squad/team.

Im sorry, it is too simple to just say if he is Hearts minded he should take the job no matter what!

The Romanov factor is why it's difficult to get a manager, who'd work for that buffoon, dosen't matter who we get, he'll interfere with the team anyway no matter what promises he makes

Charlie-Brown
Maybe he doesn't fancy being sacked after a few games and having to persue what he is due through the courts.

Maybe he doesn't want to be forced to have players he doesn't rate in his squad/team.

Im sorry, it is too simple to just say if he is Hearts minded he should take the job no matter what!

It is simple Colin - if you offered Gary Locke a return to Tynecastle in some capacity what do you think the reply would be?

scott herbertson
Why should we have any concern other than human sympathy for Eddie Thompson and his family - if it was Rangers or Celtic wanting one of their people nobody ever seems to refuse them returning to their club even when either of these clubs has been going through a poorer spell.

I find it staggering that people think oh well Craig's happy at Tannadice despite everything Hearts have ever done for that guy throughout his career...frankly I am a bit miffed by that.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear in my original post. I think Levein doesn't want to be dishonest. He has made a promise and wants to keep it.

His stubbornness is legendary - think back to the referee comments both at Hearts and D Utd. Once he says he's doing something he would have no self respect if he didn't do it.

So it's not a case of balancing love for Hearts with sympathy for Thompson - it's about being honest and sticking to what he has said.

That's my best guess as to why he is not likely to come back to us.

Charlie-Brown
Maybe I didn't make my point clear in my original post. I think Levein doesn't want to be dishonest. He has made a promise and wants to keep it.

His stubbornness is legendary - think back to the referee comments both at Hearts and D Utd. Once he says he's doing something he would have no self respect if he didn't do it.

So it's not a case of balancing love for Hearts with sympathy for Thompson - it's about being honest and sticking to what he has said.

That's my best guess as to why he is not likely to come back to us.

Fair enough Scott - however Levein has said in the papers he considers managing in England as "unfinished business" so for arguments sake if he was offered an attractive management post in England's Championship or Premiership (unlikely) do you think Thompson (illness) and Dundee United would stand in his way? Do you think in those circumstances he would stick to what he said?

It is simple Colin - if you offered Gary Locke a return to Tynecastle in some capacity what do you think the reply would be?

Of course he would.

What has he achieved as a coach or manager though? How much money is he earning at Kilmarnock?

Levein has a decent reputation as a manager and as a professional will way up the pros and cons of a return to Hearts!

scott herbertson
Fair enough Scott - however Levein has said in the papers he considers managing in England as "unfinished business" so for arguments sake if he was offered an attractive management post in England's Championship or Premiership (unlikely) do you think Thompson (illness) and Dundee United would stand in his way? Do you think in those circumstances he would stick to what he said?

Following the logic of what I have said - yes

Gigolo-Aunt

Thompsons bond with Levein is so strong that I believe that if an approach is made, Thompson may just have a heart to heart with Levein and give him his blessings to move on. IMO of course.

Archived