Tough decisions in the engine room

Clerry Jambo

lost in space

17 months ago we were in Administration. Since then we've pished a league by over 20 points which included Hibs and Rangers and a win on Sunday will see us 3rd having played everyone.

I think we're progressing reasonably well

You are of course correct re the progress we have made in that time.  However, surely we all must see that mistakes have been made -

1. the unbalanced nature of the squad - leaving us positions that we have no proper cover for.

2. RN's team set up being too negative + some of the less than positive comments + his uncertainty of formations + some poor substitutions + playing players who are unfit\off form.

We do not expect perfection and there will be further mistakes - but there has been some glaring mistakes that were identified at the time by many on here - and not just in hindsight.

Imagine what folk would make of Neilson if he hadn't had the temerity to win the league last season.

Looking back on what we ended up in reality having as opposition last season, winning the league was a stick on.

Neilson won a poor league very easily because we beat the micky mouse teams home and away consistently

Most times we had an actual test however, he scraped by or he failed.

Now we have a test every week and he's being found out quite a lot. If he's learning along the way then that's fine and totally to be expected.

If he isn't and he's going to carry on down this cautious fear football route we seem to be falling into, and not getting results from it, then sooner or later he'll need to go.

Looking back on what we ended up in reality having as opposition last season, winning the league was a stick on.

Neilson won a poor league very easily because we beat the micky mouse teams home and away consistently

Most times we had an actual test however, he scraped by or he failed.

Now we have a test every week and he's being found out quite a lot. If he's learning along the way then that's fine and totally to be expected.

If he isn't and he's going to carry on down this cautious fear football route we seem to be falling into, and not getting results from it, then sooner or later he'll need to go.

Might be worth giving the guy a break. He's pished a league and managed 10 games at Premiership level

Might be worth giving the guy a break. He's pished a league and managed 10 games at Premiership level

Sadly in modern football it's perfectly normal to start talking about sacking managers as soon as there's a poor run of form. 

I don't know how playing 4 attacking forwards every game can be considered negative?

Negative is 4-5-1 with no wingers in the 5.

Sadly in modern football it's perfectly normal to start talking about sacking managers as soon as there's a poor run of form.

We're 3rd in the league

17 months ago we were in Administration. Since then we've pished a league by over 20 points which included Hibs and Rangers and a win on Sunday will see us 3rd having played everyone.

I think we're progressing reasonably well

absolutely agree and not arguing with that but football goes on, you can't stand still and keep basking in the past.

I'm not anywhere near writing off Neilson either, i actually think we potentially have a very good manager on our hands but hope he sees the best Hearts is a Hearts that goes at teams and keeps on top of the opposition when in front.

lost in space

Well, depends on what the priority is.  If priority is that RN becomes a better coach and learns by experimenting \making mistakes and poor decisions\substitutions - fine.

If priority is Hearts winning more games - he will get no break - and be judged on decisions only, 

Fantastic if he can become a better coach and Hearts do as well as they can - but that does not seem to be happening at this time.

He needs to get to grips with being the coach of the second biggest team in the top League.

Pallardo and Buaben still aren't fully fit.

I'd run out Djoum and Gomis at the back with Swanson in front of them.  And whatever happens, McGhee is going to need some help on the edge.

Sadly on kickback it's perfectly normal to state people are talking about the manager being sacked for a poor run when no-one, not one single member on here, is suggesting any such thing.

Opinion on Neilsons development is perfectly normal. My opinion, and most others I think, is that he has a bit to learn and he's made mistakes this season. That's normal, until there is a pattern of the same mistakes time after time.

I don't know how playing 4 attacking forwards every game can be considered negative?

Negative is 4-5-1 with no wingers in the 5.

Playing 4 attacking forwards is only effective if you have an attacking mindset. A few times this season we've played 4 attacking forwards and barely had an attempt at goal.

Playing 4 attacking forwards is only effective if you have an attacking mindset. A few times this season we've played 4 attacking forwards and barely had an attempt at goal.

i agree to an extent, but more importantly you need a strong middle pairing who can break up play and start things moving at a tempo

i agree to an extent, but more importantly you need a strong middle pairing who can break up play and start things moving at a tempo

Agree. But we don't have that. Ours do the first part pretty well, but they don't construct anything like quickly enough. Whether that's lack of movement ahead of them or they are keeping the ball for no good reason other than keeping it or they are just a bit slow spotting the pass, I'm not sure.

the Hearts way

Looks like Swanson might start on Sunday, probably in place of Buaben.  Not sure about Pallardo, he may start but not convinced Hearts are convinced by his condition.  

No idea what the Belgian player is like, he played in a loss to ICT for the youth team the other night.   Gomis seems a first pick.  I expect it to be Gomis and Swanson on Sunday.

Hopefully legion of Djoum is better than Buaben then i'd have him and Gomis, if he's crap then pallardo and Gomis.

Basically where I am too.

And I'd prefer a midfield 2.

What I'd like is for us to more or less have a midfield 2 and play 442 more often than not, but if we do play a no. 10 type guy be it Swanson or Walker or whatever, then that doesn't effect the mid 2.  I think Gomis and Pallardo together don't give us energy or urgency.  I hope Djoum has that.

It's a tough one but we look static so often and I think that often stems from midfield (though they could say they don't have movement for options I suppose)

Think it's worth trying a diamond with Gomis sitting and Swanson at the top of it.

Could work with our attacking athletic fullbacks.  Would mean Jamie and Sam tucking in a bit and probably having added responsibility.  It's never happen though.  Neilson more likely to play 3 sitting mids than 1!!

One thing I don't like about the diamond thing is it's very narrow and can leave fullbacks exposed 2 on 1 if the other team exploit it well (like we refused to do against Hibs last season)

Archived