Tough decisions in the engine room

Clerry Jambo

Robbie pointing out he has a hard choice picking his midfield out of 5/6 players.......

Well, thats your job Robbie son!!

i understand he will try and keep everyone happy which to be fair is near impossible, but should he decide what "his" best 2/3 are and play them when fit, or continually chop and change?

Personally would go for the former, thoughts?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/keeping-hearts-midfielders-happy-is-tough-neilson-1-3918302

I'd like a settled midfield where possible. Buaben isn't doing it for me right now so I'd have Gomis and Pallardo in. I'd like to see what Djoum can do too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd prefer to settle on a pairing/triumvirate and keep consistency.

That said...do we have a system that all theplayers should be aware of and so should be able to fit into when asked?

From having to play Sean McKirdy a few weeks back to now having too many options. That's the joy of football management. We have now got, imo, a midfield that should be dominating games at this level. Admittedly I've not seen much of Djoum, but you don't rack up that many appearances in the top division in Holland if you haven't got something about you. The Gomis - Buaben partnership is being found out at this level, and there is very little creativity and urgency from our midfield when those two play. I want Robbie to mix it up on Sunday. With only two fit first team strikers, I'd like to see just 1 starting with a central and attacking midfield 3 of Djoum, Pallardo and Swanson; Walker and Nicholson out wide.

I think we should settle down into a 3 man central midfield unit to be honest. Ahead of that two 'wide' attackers and one central striker.

Gomis and Pallardo sitting with Swanson playing off them would be my preference for Sunday.

100% agree with this. I like Bauben but don't think he had been playing well. Think Gomis & Pallardo are our best midfielders, but both quite one paced so would like to see Swanson playing in front of them.

We_are_the_Hearts

While Pallardo and Gomis are good players our midfield wasn't as good when they played in the same team. Time will tell if they can get a partnership going. Would like to see what Djoum can offer as seems the box to box type.

lost in space

Incredible - we have only 2 forwards available (only 3 at the club) and have started 2 forwards recently.  The other forward is banned and has no experience at this level anyway.  Yet we have too many midfield players.  Who did we sign recently?? Another midfield player.  Do these guys not talk to each other???

Incredible - we have only 2 forwards available (only 3 at the club) and have started 2 forwards recently.  The other forward is banned and has no experience at this level anyway.  Yet we have too many midfield players.  Who did we sign recently?? Another midfield player.  Do these guys not talk to each other???

Could problaby lose 3 of they midfielders and replace them with 1 quality one,we have far too many bang average midfielders at this club and not much quality apart from Sow and Juanma on

his game up top.

Robbie is the originator of his own problems.  Injuries during the summer forced his hand.  At the beginning of the season injuries to Pallardo and Bauben and the lack of confidence in Anderson meant having to play McKirdy (and on one occasion Ozturk) in midfield.  So, Swanson was signed, then Djoum.  Bauben and subsequently Pallardo regained fitness so Hearts have now 6 midfielder (excluding Walker, Nicholson and King).

The issue for me id that by play 2 strikers in Sow and Juanma, and one from either Walker, Nicholson or King playing as one of the midfielders reduces selection to 3 midfielders from 6.     

Personally, I would rather see Sow and Juanma alternate as the sole striker with one from Walker, Nicholson or King alongside  This would enable Robbie to select 4 true midfielders in a diamond formation:

Pallardo

Buaben/Gomis  Djoum/Gomis

Swanson/Walker

Nicholson/King

Sow/Juanma  

Whatever, Robbie is getting paid to select the strongest midfield.  he should do so and stick with it.  All this rotating of players just disrupts the team's performance. It might be different if the squad was made up of all top performers.  But they are not. 

We_are_the_Hearts

Pallardo and Gomis are the best two footballers at the club.

But can they play together? On last seasons evidence i would say its debatable

I think we need a midfielder who has a more balanced game.

Gomis and Pallardo offer great security and are good a keeping the ball but don't really offer in an attacking sense.

They are undoubtedly our best two CMs and would be my choice but it means we continually ask other areas to offer threat.

I'm not into the idea of Swanson as part of a 3 because who do you drop?

Walker and Nicholson combined really well v Killie and look on form. I personally would like to see us continue with Sow and Juanma as we really should be out to put United on the back foot from the start as they are struggling.

But can they play together? On last seasons evidence i would say its debatable

I think they can as long as they have a more attacking midfielder like Swanson ahead of them.

We_are_the_Hearts

I think they can as long as they have a more attacking midfielder like Swanson ahead of them.

You might be right, only time will tell. Even in his wee spell at Parkhead Djoum showed he will get around the park and was furthest forward when wee Sam got brought down. Hopefully get to see what he can offer soon.

I know Bauben has not being playing well all be it he has been playing with a niggle and i have been critical of him myself and thought he should have been taking of at half time against killie , but watching him yesterday was like watching a new player some of the runs and stuff he was doing yesterday was outstanding at times , if its anything to go on and i'm not saying it is but there were  5 players who really stuck out at training for me and they were Bauben , Gomis , swanson , Sow , Rossi  -   now add to the fact that management really rate Bauben and have all ready kept Pallardo on the bench last season and this unless either gomis or bauben was injured  for me i can't see it happening , only my opinion i'm not 100% certain what the team will be but i reckon Bauben will be playing on what i seen .  my team would be .... alexander , mcGee , rossi , blaze , juwan , gomis , bauben , swanson , walker , nicholson , sow . and go at them right from the start .

From having to play Sean McKirdy a few weeks back to now having too many options. That's the joy of football management. We have now got, imo, a midfield that should be dominating games at this level. Admittedly I've not seen much of Djoum, but you don't rack up that many appearances in the top division in Holland if you haven't got something about you. The Gomis - Buaben partnership is being found out at this level, and there is very little creativity and urgency from our midfield when those two play. I want Robbie to mix it up on Sunday. With only two fit first team strikers, I'd like to see just 1 starting with a central and attacking midfield 3 of Djoum, Pallardo and Swanson; Walker and Nicholson out wide.

I get why you're saying that but we shouldn't forget hibs thought the same with Edwin de Graaf and he just didn't turn up in scotland despite a good reputation in the eredivisie

Our first squad pool,  say  16? players, has been imbalanced.   There is lots of firepower, maybe more than since  2004. 

Defence has been weakest recently. 

ergo,  Robbie's main headache should be defence not midfield -  shurley? 

Also the man who should be skipper is out recovering from his op. 

I dont think we will have an easy time a Tannadichi.

Pallardo/Gomis

Next

Despite the fact that playing 2 similar holders has caused us problems all season ?

Its made us pedestrian in the middle of the park because neither steps forward and neither plays with any tempo

and its made us vulnerable at full back because neither has the engine to cover wide areas.

Great ball winners, lovely passers, good vision, but we they both just sit and we need a bit more from central midfield IMO

We need a runner who can play with tempo, pass, move, penetrate and link with the more forward midfield players and the striker

That would be Swanson.(or Djoum maybe)

The defence picks itself.

Paterson Augustyn Rossi Oshaniwa

No headaches there.

Patterson is suspended .

Patterson is suspended .

Sorry I thought the conversation was more general based rather than for this weekend.

Wait...Gomis doesn't have a good engine?

Where's that Kello stare GIF when you need it.

Is he a box to box midfielder all of a sudden ? You could draw a 25 metre diameter circle in our half and you'd rarely see him leave it. He rarely moves wide to cover. He rarely attacks with the ball. He doesn't have the engine for it. He has zero pace.

We_are_the_Hearts

Is he a box to box midfielder all of a sudden ? You could draw a 25 metre diameter circle in our half and you'd rarely see him leave it. He rarely moves wide to cover. He rarely attacks with the ball. He doesn't have the engine for it. He has zero pace.

What? Gomis has a huge engine, the amount of work he puts in is unrivalled in our team. He could maybe get forward more but to say he doesn't have an engine is wrong.

What? Gomis has a huge engine, the amount of work he puts in is unrivalled in our team. He could maybe get forward more but to say he doesn't have an engine is wrong.

He works hard. That's for sure. He is not capable of lung bursting penetrating runs. You need an engine for that. He doesn't have it. He is a limited player. Good at what he does. Sometimes very good, but limited nonetheless. We can get away with one of those in our midfield, in fact we need one of those in our midfield and it would definitely be him you'd pick. Playing two of those is limiting our attacking options and making us over cautious and less threatening than we might otherwise be.

We_are_the_Hearts

He works hard. That's for sure. He is not capable of lung bursting penetrating runs. You need an engine for that. He doesn't have it. He is a limited player. Good at what he does. Sometimes very good, but limited nonetheless. We can get away with one of those in our midfield, in fact we need one of those in our midfield and it would definitely be him you'd pick. Playing two of those is limiting our attacking options and making us over cautious and less threatening than we might otherwise be.

Will be interesting to see the team on Sunday as we have 5 midfielders going for 3 places. 

Will be interesting to see the team on Sunday as we have 5 midfielders going for 3 places. 

Or 4 places maybe ?

We_are_the_Hearts

Or 4 places maybe ?

I reckon Walker, Sow and Juanma will start so probably 3 unless he plays Swanson wide and has a solid midfield 3. Find out soon enough  :2thumbsup:

i hope I'm totally wrong but you know Neilson, he'll be worrying about the new manager effect at Dundee Utd instead of motivating his players to believe in their game and take it to them.

Pallardo and Gomis are the best two footballers at the club.

Yes they are indeed.

Gomis imo is our most important player

We_are_the_Hearts

i hope I'm totally wrong but you know Neilson, he'll be worrying about the new manager effect at Dundee Utd instead of motivating his players to believe in their game and take it to them.

That's been my biggest disappointment in away games this season. Slow start, slow tempo, looking to stop the opposition. We should be going out looking to dictate the game, play at a high tempo and let them worry about us.

Imagine what folk would make of Neilson if he hadn't had the temerity to win the league last season.

Imagine what folk would make of Neilson if he hadn't had the temerity to win the league last season.

not quite sure what you are getting at but i'd say people can change, people can evolve into something different when the environment changes, when the challenge becomes harder.

Neilson on the face of it looked a confident boss last season but the opposition was weaker. I'm not saying for one minute he won't become a really good manager, after all he's finding out himself the what the challenges are of the SPL and where he needs to improve but I can't help feel he's been a little too cautious in some matches.

not quite sure what you are getting at but i'd say people can change, people can evolve into something different when the environment changes, when the challenge becomes harder.

Neilson on the face of it looked a confident boss last season but the opposition was weaker. I'm not saying for one minute he won't become a really good manager, after all he's finding out himself the what the challenges are of the SPL and where he needs to improve but I can't help feel he's been a little too cautious in some matches.

17 months ago we were in Administration. Since then we've pished a league by over 20 points which included Hibs and Rangers and a win on Sunday will see us 3rd having played everyone.

I think we're progressing reasonably well

Track record this season suggests you are right.

As conservative and solid a midfield as he can possibly pick and one up front.

Gomis

Pallardo

Swanson

Walker

Nicholson/King

Archived