Best and Worst Pubs In Edinburgh

WavyGravy

Best the Auld Bell at Causwayside, and 2nd the Scotsman bar on Coburn street when a band is playing at the weekend.

Worst...... Grapes bar Newington, if it is still called that.

Agree with the Old Bell. Spend every Saturday night in there.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favourite: Cumberland

Used to be favourite: St Vincent

Cheap pint: Clark's

Special mention for saving me from two hours of Downtown Abbey one Christmas Night: Wally Dug.

You don't venture far from Dundas St then? :-)

Good shout, 3 quality boozers.

The Real Maroonblood

Best used to be the queens arms until they changed the set up

Worst - the tam o shanter, busier in the morning than it is at night

Special mention of disgust to any pub which charges more than 4 quid for a pint

Your last sentence puts The Cumberland Bar in that category.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Guildford Arms has always been pretty good whenever I've been in.

Queen's Arms is the usual post match boozer if we're heading out in town after the game. Only criticism would be it's just a little bit small for the numbers.

I'll occasionally stop off for a couple at The Hebrides bar on Market Street if I've got the train into town.

The Pear Tree is great with it's beer garden but whenever I've been in the bar is always rammed because of the number of people in. Do they do table service these day? They should.

Any bar has the potential to be good if they manage the folk they let in properly. Element on Rose Street is an example; nice, modern, classy looking place with a good selection of spirits.

Edwards, Sportsters and The Chanter are the exact opposite.

I have always like The Guilford Arms even if the bar area is quite small and it can get busy at weekends. Beer is a bit more expensive there but is well kept and the bar is  beautifully decorated. Worst for me are the fake theme bars that occupy the tourist areas.

Are you talking about the one next to Acvies ground or the one on the back street up from the Bon Vivant that used to be a wee cocktail bar until they turned it back into a traditional boozer?

Went in with the bursd expecting cocktails at 9pm on a Saturday and it had about 6 neds watching Sky Sports and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

One up the back street. It doesn't have Sky Sports.

Your last sentence puts The Cumberland Bar in that category.

Puts most pubs that sell anything non-generic into that category.

There's a great variety of pubs in Edinburgh which cater for most needs -I'm not sure it's fair to say best or worst as it comes down to what you look for in a pub so I'll stick with like and dislike

I like the Star Bar and Cumberland Bar in the new town, Carriers Quarters, The Oxford Bar, Blackfriars (although Black Bos was probably my favourite bar in Edinburgh) The Phoenix, The Baillie, Jolly Judge, Roseleaf, Tourmalet.

One of the most disappointing pubs for me is Ryries. I grew up in the West End and when it was a stripped back no frills boozer it was great, especially on match days or when the mods would turn up of an evening. It's a depressing uncared for generic pub now, over-priced with no soul and a transient crowd.

Biggest pub related gripe - TVs on for the sake of it. News 24 with subtitles! Just turn it off.

Say What Again

Beer and Skittles is fairly good.

Special mention of disgust to any pub which charges more than 4 quid for a pint

Special mention with a commendation for Beer & Skittles in that case.

I've been in there once. I can't recall the (only) draught cider, but it was ?5.50 a pint. I switched to lager - which I don't really drink - as it was my mates round and I didn't want to sting him for a ?5.50 pint. I just ordered a Heineken, the same as him. ?4.90.

Beer & Skittles can get tae as far as I'm concerned. That's just ripping the piss.

There are loads of good pubs/bars in Edinburgh but some I like are...Thomsons, The Oxford, The Cambridge, Teuchters, The Roseburn, The Golden Rule, The Fountain, Bennets, The Hanging Bat, The Queen's Arms, Cask and Barrell, The Blue Blazer, The Bow Bar, Clerks, Ox184, West Room...the list could go on.

Crap ones include the tourist places in the Grassmarket/Royal Mile.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Must be a wee while since you were last in Clarks. Nothing cheap about it now. Prices been going up every 6 months like clockwork!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

LOl, yes, been a while. Used to be 20p/30p a pint cheaper than others and a good range of beers.

Pretty unpretentious, but friendly atmosphere and some photos of old Hearts and Hibs teams.

King Of The Cat Cafe

You don't venture far from Dundas St then? :-)

Good shout, 3 quality boozers.

I like to be within staggering/crawling distance of my bed at the end end of the night...

I was in Alexander Graham Bell last night. After I finished my last drink, I tried to be nice so I placed my glass down on the bar before a staff member sarcastically said "honestly?" and got out a spray and started cleaning it.

Wtf?! :lol:

Shite drink, shite atmosphere, shite staff. Will not be back.

I like the pubs in Stockbridge as well. Just a bit out the way for me. I used to really like the Rutland but it's been ruined since it's refit and change of management a couple of years ago. There's a bit of a lack of good places in the New Town but I quite like Bramble and Bar Soba. I like Rick's Bar as you're always guaranteed a comfortable seat and it's not full of dicks and noisy *****.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I like the pubs in Stockbridge as well. Just a bit out the way for me. I used to really like the Rutland but it's been ruined since it's refit and change of management a couple of years ago. There's a bit of a lack of good places in the New Town but I quite like Bramble and Bar Soba. I like Rick's Bar as you're always guaranteed a comfortable seat and it's not full of dicks and noisy *****.

Any pub your naw in is good enough in my book.

Stumbled across the thistle Street bar recently, cracking proper boozer in the city centre.

I like beer and skittles too, smart sports bar.

The Balmoral has to be one of the worst

Popped in for a pint on Wednesday, a pint of Punk IPA ?5, you are having a laugh.

Went into the Queens Arms had a couple of pints of Thrappledanger ?3.50 a pint, much better.

Pleasing that not a single George Street bar has been mentioned as good. If you drink anywhere there you would be as well getting a carry-out and sitting in Ikea with it.

My faves

Caf? Royal

Guildford Arms

Queens Arms

The Hermitage in Morningside is a great bar. Without doubt the best in Morningside. I'd stretch to say Bruntsfield as well.

The food is absolutely top notch. Very highly rated on Trip Advisor too. Actually won a Trip Advisor award for excellence in food, drink & service.

Staff are very friendly and knowledgable about drink.

Oh and the Hungarian barmaid - :ruiner:

Was in a wee pub crawl the other week (opened a thread for recommendations)..

IMO, Dickens, Diggers; the Golden Rule, the Amber Rose (my wife and I used to start our drinking sessions in there after her cancer check ups at the Western, 5 years all clear now), Ryries; Mathers; Ye Olde Golf Tavern and the Horseshoe are all great/ contenders fir best pubs.

I was in Alexander Graham Bell last night. After I finished my last drink, I tried to be nice so I placed my glass down on the bar before a staff member sarcastically said "honestly?" and got out a spray and started cleaning it.

Wtf?! :lol:

Shite drink, shite atmosphere, shite staff. Will not be back.

I like that place, it's a Spoons so you know what you're getting before you go in.

My pre-match ritual is to get off the train at Waverley, have a wander up there and have a few pints and a mixed grill in the wee raised seat section at the back left, and then walk up to Gorgie.

It's a pretty relaxed atmosphere, there's WiFi and you can charge your phone if you're sat in the right place.

I'd have said something to that staff member though, that's not on.  I always take my empty pint to the bar, there is nothing wrong with that at all...

Bridge of Djoum

Port O' Leith. Cracking boozer. 

Anything west of Haymarket is absolutely dire.

The bell is pretty good tho. Always get a seat, no music, no yahs, no neds, no underagers. Pity the guy doesn't come round with Sunday Mail late on Saturday.

Neilson's Shank

Anything west of Haymarket is absolutely dire.

Mary Morriarty is a one off , did not spend a fortune on decor but ran a good shop

Governor Tarkin

Best: The Good Companions, Stratfords Bar & Bistro

Worst: Most George St establishments

Every time I came up to Edinburgh the only pub I went in was the Grey Horse Inn on Dalkeith Rd. Most people will say it's a shithole (or was after it was done up) but I was always felt welcome coming from London. Saying that I've not been in there or to Edinburgh in 5 years now.

Full of so called Hibs casuals firing shan gear up there beaks, always has been therefore a toilet!

Bridge of Djoum

Mary Morriarty is a one off , did not spend a fortune on decor but ran a good shop

She really did a great job. Never any bother despite having plenty rough and ready punters.

The bell is pretty good tho. Always get a seat, no music, no yahs, no neds, no underagers. Pity the guy doesn't come round with Sunday Mail late on Saturday.

Exactly.  It's sometimes a bit busy in the afternoon, especially on a Saturday, but it's pretty chilled out, and overall it's a decent place to go.

Food is decent as well, but that's pretty much universal with Wetherspoons.  You know what you're getting.

williejamiesonlesftfoot

out of desperation on way to get taxi home I went in Montpelier's, Merlin then canny mans. **** sake. Wankier and wankier.

Hermitage is where its at in Morningside mate.

N Lincs Jambo

Used to frequent the Antiquary in St Stephen's St late 70s early 80s. Great boozer back then - anyone know what it's like these days??

Used to frequent the Antiquary in St Stephen's St late 70s early 80s. Great boozer back then - anyone know what it's like these days??

Went a few times a couple of years back. Their beer wasn't great, it was pretty empty and you had the impression they weren't that bothered. A shame really, as the location is just brilliant. Maybe my experiences weren't typical, though.

mulleted_jambo

The Hermitage in Morningside is a great bar. Without doubt the best in Morningside. I'd stretch to say Bruntsfield as well.

The food is absolutely top notch. Very highly rated on Trip Advisor too. Actually won a Trip Advisor award for excellence in food, drink & service.

Shame they got rid of sky though. Used to like it for the football. Still a good boozer but almost trying to be a restaurant at times now.

Not been in it for a few years but I used to drink in The Golden Rule when I stayed in Yeaman place and thought it was a brilliant pub.

Used to like the old Findlays in St Andrews square (Its a KFC now) had many a session in there after work on a Friday afternoon.

Worst: The Gauntlet in Broomhouse

The Real Maroonblood

The bell is okay apart from the moron Tennents lager drinkers.

The Real Maroonblood

Best: The Good Companions, Stratfords Bar & Bistro

Worst: Most George St establishments

The Good Companions.

Are you having a laugh.

Say What Again

Port is firmly filed alongside Broafields for me. See my earlier post.

Had some great nights In there, also had totally unprovoked hassle a couple of times too. The most recent being last Friday.

The time before an absolute nailed on fight between my group and a bunch who'd instigated the entire thing, was only prevented by a separate fight kicking off inside and them all wading into that.

Chuck in a boy asking me if I wanted my ****** sucked while I was in the bog, and another trying to punt me heroin in the same bog, and it's miles off the top boozer in town.

I'm no prude, I'm the polar opposite, and through an ex working there I've been in the port hundreds of times. It's about as hit and miss as you can get. As likely to get a ride (mate actually got a threesome there one night) as you are to get a fight.

I used to live in St Stephens Street and there were many, many cracking pubs within staggering distance.  Favourites for me (20 years ago) were:

St Vincents

Baillie

Stockbridge Bar

Antiquary

Cumberland

Clarks

Further afield, the Bow Bar was often a favourite as well as Cloisters.

Those were the days of a choice of lager or 80.  Always tried to find somewhere selling a good Deuchars.

I imagine it has all changed now.

Oh and further back, Lauries Bar in Tollcross was right under my first flat.  Is it now Brauhaus?

Port is firmly filed alongside Broafields for me. See my earlier post.

Had some great nights In there, also had totally unprovoked hassle a couple of times too. The most recent being last Friday.

The time before an absolute nailed on fight between my group and a bunch who'd instigated the entire thing, was only prevented by a separate fight kicking off inside and them all wading into that.

Chuck in a boy asking me if I wanted my ****** sucked while I was in the bog, and another trying to punt me heroin in the same bog, and it's miles off the top boozer in town.

I'm no prude, I'm the polar opposite, and through an ex working there I've been in the port hundreds of times. It's about as hit and miss as you can get. As likely to get a ride (mate actually got a threesome there one night) as you are to get a fight.

I like the pub but it has a very mixed bunch of regulars, it is quite popular with a large gay crowd and some career alcoholics. A good friend was killed a couple of years ago after meeting a couple of dodgy types in there, but for some reason I don't blame the pub, 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-17563588

Well done folk saying the Grapes is Sh1te. Full of Celtic scum.

Used to like a sly half in the old port Hamilton tavern before the last bus! [emoji1]

Great pub. Does some decent music on a Saturday night as well.

The White Cockade

Tony's Cellar Bar!

Sandy Bells

Bannermans

Is Oddfellows still there?

Not back in Edinburgh much these days

Used to work for the Cooncil and we always had a few staright from work on a Friday at the Malt Shovel

or the place next door - can't remeber the name

The Stable Bar wass good for food and a quiet pint as was The Steasding up at Hillend

I go there every and the Bailie every Christmas Eve. Both good places, although the Antiquary does seem more quiet each passing year.

Y

It's turned into a gastropub. Fine if you like that kind of thing. A bit ponsey though.

The Waiting Room and Bennets are far better pubs.

The Canny Mans is shite as is the Merlin.

It's turned into a gastropub. Fine if you like that kind of thing. A bit ponsey though.

The Waiting Room and Bennets are far better pubs.

The Canny Mans is shite as is the Merlin.

The eating seems to happen through the back. The bar has a nice selection of beers.

Say What Again

I'm aware I haven't volunteered a best pub answer (before I'm told 'mon then, you come out with one'), but that's purely because I'll drink anywhere and everywhere. The best pub for me is wherever I'm having a good night that night.

However, some of the suggestions on this thread for the best pub are ridiculous :lol:

I can hand on my heart say I'd rather have a pint in The Vine or The Annfield compared to some of the 'best' pubs on this thread. And they were just the first two tired old boozers that sprang to mind.

Archived