Best and Worst Pubs In Edinburgh

WavyGravy

luckyBatistuta

The Hermitage in Morningside is a great bar. Without doubt the best in Morningside. I'd stretch to say Bruntsfield as well.

The food is absolutely top notch. Very highly rated on Trip Advisor too. Actually won a Trip Advisor award for excellence in food, drink & service.

Staff are very friendly and knowledgable about drink.

Oh and the HUNGARIAN BARMAID - :ruiner:

Useless without pics?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luckyBatistuta

You have to go there youself. :)

What time do they open the doors, it's getting bloody cold waiting.

The Real Maroonblood

I'm aware I haven't volunteered a best pub answer (before I'm told 'mon then, you come out with one'), but that's purely because I'll drink anywhere and everywhere. The best pub for me is wherever I'm having a good night that night.

However, some of the suggestions on this thread for the best pub are ridiculous :lol:

I can hand on my heart say I'd rather have a pint in The Vine or The Annfield compared to some of the 'best' pubs on this thread. And they were just the first two tired old boozers that sprang to mind.

So even if the beer is shite as long as your having a good time.

Fair enough.

Say What Again

So even if the beer is shite as long as your having a good time.

Fair enough.

Well, I don't drink beer or lager for a start.... However, if my mates didn't like the beer, I'm more than happy to move to the next pub - because I'm not fussed, I'm happy to go wherever someone suggests next.

Anyway, that's not what I said anyway. I said I'm happy to drink anywhere if I'm having a good night. I hardly think the entire company complaining the beer is shite would constitute a good night would it? Or likewise my choice of drink was shite. You having a good time? Oh aye, this cider is rancid (something that hardly ever happens) and vastly overpriced. I'm loving it.

Obviously the mix has to be right. Price, selection, and sport on TV (if it's weekend), but there are so, so many bars that fit those very simple requirements, I don't have a favourite.

A pint of Tennent's is the same anywhere, to be fair :lol:

I drink to get pished, not to have some microbrewed craft ale experience.

As long as it's not a complete pit, most places are fine.  It's more about the company you're with, and the fact that the place is clean more than anything else.

Stable Bar... :2thumbsup::food-smiley-004:

The Grapes... :thumbsdown::wallbash:

Grey Horse... :thumbsdown::banghead2:

it's been 15 years since I last had a pint in the Stable Bar top pub then Forbes, Dundas, Alec and Dunc all good for banter.. miss the old place.. hope its still as good?

good Jambo fan Daz used to hold the bar up almost like if he moved it might fall over good guy

Best - Ormelie (my local so have to say that and Davie is a legend), Star Bar (great jukebox), Waverley, Safari (food), Windsor Buffet, Kays, Old Bell.

Worst - Broadfields (super neds buzzing on cocaine and lager all day), Sheep's Heid (good boozer spoiled by white settlers).

• 2 weeks later...

Spent Tuesday afternoon in the 37 Bar which is the first time I have been in it for a couple of years. Very disappointed with the state of the place. Torn upholstery on the seats with non matching patches on some. The plague of bar flies didn't help either! The place was reasonably busy while we were there so it isn't short of custom. I suggest if the owners spent a bit of money on it it would be even more popular!

going to try The Beer Kitchen for something to eat on Saturday after the game, couple of Black Isle Porters in Cloisters first tho

Stumbled across the thistle Street bar recently, cracking proper boozer in the city centre.

I like beer and skittles too, smart sports bar.

The Balmoral has to be one of the worst

Not bad boozer the Thistle but it's been a while since I was in there.

My mates and I started an afternoon/night out there a couple of years ago. Hidden gem you might say.

Spent Tuesday afternoon in the 37 Bar which is the first time I have been in it for a couple of years. Very disappointed with the state of the place. Torn upholstery on the seats with non matching patches on some. The plague of bar flies didn't help either! The place was reasonably busy while we were there so it isn't short of custom. I suggest if the owners spent a bit of money on it it would be even more popular!

Why didn't you move on then :uhoh2:

best 

Doctors

Mathers east end

Cafe Royale

Artisan

Milnes

worst

Birlington Berties

Bensons

Pierces

Mitre

Grapes

So many Pubs have changed names/hands since i drank in Edinburgh......

Is there something up with Brahaus? I go past it to and from work every day and it's been closed all week.

Is there something up with Brahaus? I go past it to and from work every day and it's been closed all week.

i noticed it closed earlier this week.  But i am sure this has previously been the case........ :uhoh2:

Archived