Are we now panic buying a manager?

pennantjambo

pennantjambo

So we did'nt get our "chosen one"

But now wer'e behaving like a child with its Christmas money. Daddy daddy I have this money and I must blow it as quickly as possible.

We've waited since Burley for this moment and now it looks like we are being reduced to accepting any name the press and media wish to throw at us.

Why not wait a couple more weeks. The world and his granny know what the job is, who its with, and how much it might even pay.

Even if you put to one side all the pesh that's gone before I still believe its a cracking Job.

It may be bad timing for us that what we would have liked was'nt available but no disrespect to Jeffries and chipmunk Davies but with the cash on offer i'm sure someone better is out there who might just be tempted, but if we just dive in now for one of these two for the sake of panic buying would be rash.

Just chill Hearts for a wee while yet.

Auld Reekin'

No. Your arguement assumes that Romanov gives a tom-tit what any of us think.

But now wer'e behaving like a child with its Christmas money. Daddy daddy I have this money and I must blow it as quickly as possible.

We've waited since Burley for this moment and now it looks like we are being reduced to accepting any name the press and media wish to throw at us.

Why not wait a couple more weeks. The world and his granny know what the job is, who its with, and how much it might even pay.

Even if you put to one side all the pesh that's gone before I still believe its a cracking Job.

It may be bad timing for us that what we would have liked was'nt available but no disrespect to Jeffries and chipmunk Davies but with the cash on offer i'm sure someone better is out there who might just be tempted, but if we just dive in now for one of these two for the sake of panic buying would be rash.

How do you know this? In what way are we behaving like a child with Christmas money?

Spellczech

We are, Hearts are not.

Mr Quagmire

You have read the paper's and think that we have actually spoken to all these people about the manger's position.

Its you that needs to chill not anyone at hearts.

Only a Game

Panic buying ?

A process of 5 months to get to the stage where the last candidate finally knocked us back ?

And quotes to day suggesting we're giving ourselves another month to get someone in ?

The names left in the frame appear to be Davies Levein and Jefferies. If all 3 of them knock us back then I'd expect us to panic buy and by previous history it wont be a good buy.

We're not at that stage just yet. Stop reading the papers.

Woolfords Hearts

One of the the more sensible post's i've read on here for a while.

Gigolo-Aunt

I have no idea of Hearts shortlist.

I have no idea of the people we have made the first step with since McGhee said no (if any)

I have no idea if we will panic.

I have no idea.

Period.

I have no idea of the people we have made the first step with since McGhee said no (if any)

I have no idea.

Period.

ditto

If it is confession time, I would also like to come out of the closet and admit I also know absolutely nothing

Thig Ar Latha

I can reveal that some of the names being banded around are on the shortlist, and some are not. However the favourite has not been mentioned yet. (and it might surprise a few)

Source: My Best Guess. :rolleyes:

Drylaw Hearts

How long is 'a wee while' ?

Only a Game
How long is 'a wee while' ?

I wish someone at the club would show some sign of the urgency of the situation..........Not asking for a panic buy but this MUST be done and dusted before 30th June IMO. Almost another week gone by since McGhee turned us down and, although we may be doing it in private, there doesnt seem to be any kind of appointment on the horizon or anywhere close to it.

Thig Ar Latha
I wish someone at the club would show some sign of the urgency of the situation..........Not asking for a panic buy but this MUST be done and dusted before 30th June IMO. Almost another week gone by since McGhee turned us down and, although we may be doing it in private, there doesnt seem to be any kind of appointment on the horizon or anywhere close to it.

When Teams lose their Manager during the season they often replace them within about two weeks, we have over a month! Whats the hurry? Why must we suddenly appoint some one within a couple of days?

Drylaw Hearts
When Teams lose their Manager during the season they often replace them within about two weeks, we have over a month! Whats the hurry? Why must we suddenly appoint some one within a couple of days?

We waited 5 months on Plan A.

When Plan A said no, we should have turned to Plan B the following day.

Only a Game

We've had no manager for 5 months so far ! That makes 4 weeks sound to me like its getting urgent.

There's no hurry if we really have a shortlist and a determination to get someone decent in.

If we dont have a shortlist and someone now clearly at the top of it, we're in trouble. And I mean someone we are about to approach within days because our front to back recruitment process doesnt look the quickest to be honest.

If we dont have the determination to get someone in and realise how key it is to get them in before pre-season starts, then I despair.

Only a Game
We waited 5 months on Plan A.

When Plan A said no, we should have turned to Plan B the following day.

We can only hope that Plan B exists first of all, and secondly that its in full swing right now and being done so discreetly and privately (professionally others might call it) that even those "in the know" dont know.

Drylaw Hearts
We can only hope that Plan B exists first of all, and secondly that its in full swing right now and being done so discreetly and privately (professionally others might call it) that even those "in the know" dont know.

Fingers crossed.

I have no idea.

Period.

Exactly! no-one's got any idea...including MadVlad! He must've had some inkling Frail wasn't going to be the manager so he should've had all this sorted months ago, as usual, we know nothing, that's why we're all on here throwing any old names about, Davies, Jordan,McDonald,Chisolm,Levein,Clark,Jeffries,Steve Clarke...it'll all unfold in the fullness of time!

Only a Game
Exactly! no-one's got any idea...including MadVlad! He must've had some inkling Frail wasn't going to be the manager so he should've had all this sorted months ago, as usual, we know nothing, that's why we're all on here throwing any old names about, Davies, Jordan,McDonald,Chisolm,Levein,Clark,Jeffries,Steve Clarke...it'll all unfold in the fullness of time!

I think we've made a major error waiting all this time for McGhee

We SHOULD have went to Motherwell and McGhee weeks ago and said " We want to speak to McGhee about the managers job and we know its been said nothing is happening till the end of the season, but we need to speak now or we'll have to move on and ask someone else".

A straightforward and final "NO" would 8 weeks ago would have been infinetly better than what we actually got.

portobellojambo1

Not sure OaG, but I think Craig Levein might have been/is plan B. I thought there might be a good chance that we could get him, because I had heard a few stories that his relationship with the son and daughter wasn't as strong as the relationship he has built up with Eddie Thompson. Received something by email from another poster which indicated that Dundee United have confirmed to Levein that should the father be forced to step down (not really paid an awful lot of attention, as I tend to avoid most papers, but I believe he is seriously ill (cancer related disease possibly)) Levein has been reassured he will receive the same level of support from the son and daughter, and doesn't intend leaving (which in itself means nothing really, everyone can be "leaned" on, and potentially change their mind). Think the problems will start if he is indeed Plan B, and says no, do we have a Plan C in place (logic would make you think that the next in line would possibly be Jefferies).

I am not really convinced regards the story of Billy Davies (I know he has said he is willing to talk to Hearts should they approach him, but the bit that appeared on here a while back about a retainer being in place seemed a bit far fetched to me (just my opinion though)), and I am not convinced he has really come into Hearts thinking, especially as he seems to be saying he hasn't applied for the job, he is waiting on us going to him.

Only a Game
Not sure OaG, but I think Craig Levein might have been/is plan B. I thought there might be a good chance that we could get him, because I had heard a few stories that his relationship with the son and daughter wasn't as strong as the relationship he has built up with Eddie Thompson. Received something by email from another poster which indicated that Dundee United have confirmed to Levein that should the father be forced to step down (not really paid an awful lot of attention, as I tend to avoid most papers, but I believe he is seriously ill (cancer related disease possibly)) Levein has been reassured he will receive the same level of support from the son and daughter, and doesn't intend leaving (which in itself means nothing really, everyone can be "leaned" on, and potentially change their mind). Think the problems will start if he is indeed Plan B, and says no, do we have a Plan C in place (logic would make you think that the next in line would possibly be Jefferies).

I'd agree with that analysis mostly, but I think Eddie Thomson might be more approachable than the son is. Just a gut feeling but I think Eddie might well let Levein go, if he really wants to, but the son wouldnt. Levein might well be thinking, or knowing that things might be a hell of a lot different when Eddie isnt around and might feel the time is right, with Eddie's blessing of course. (If Eddie says no I think Levein wont push it)

As far as Plan C is concerned I think that either Jefferies or Davies are the fall back positions and that we know, if the offer and the terms and conditions are right, that we can get either of those two that we want. I think Jefferies would be Hearts preferred PlanC although I'd prefer Davies if we are looking long term instead of having to go all through this again in two years when Jefferies either gets found out, or has had enough of Vlad. Davies is a stubborn arrogant wee git but I think he'll be able to handle Vlad better that Jefferies would and he's a far better prospect as far as sucess is concerned IMO.

Fourcandles

I have no idea.

Period

Sounds like you have PMT.

(Pre Manager Tension)

Charlie-Brown

Davies didn't exactly handle the Derby owner well indeed he had next to no relationship with him so why does anybody think he would have a better relationship with VR ? Not that I think Romanov would employ him anyway and even if he did then it wouldn't last very long - Davies went on match of the day and publicly criticised the Derby owner & boards policy...I think the end result and that would be the same at Pride Park or Tynecastle.

Why should Craig Levein have greater loyalty to Eddie Thomson than to Hearts? Jeffries would never have made it to Hearts (first time) if we hadn't pushed it to the limit and asked awkward questions about where his real loyalties should be?

The opinion of the OP that Hearts are panic buying clearly reveals the amount of power that newspapers can have over peoples opinions, something many of us often forget.

There is absolutely nothing in the factual evidence of these stories to suggest that but the media's need for a frenzy has built a picture in the minds of some people that Hearts are now overly desperate.

Hearts are not panic buying... yet.

Only a Game

Why should Craig Levein have greater loyalty to Eddie Thomson than to Hearts? Jeffries would never have made it to Hearts (first time) if we hadn't pushed it to the limit and asked awkward questions about where his real loyalties should be?

Levein's a strange one. Leaving Hearts just before a vital UEFA cup tie was in my opinion totally disloyal. Not so much the leaving, more the timing.

I think its as simple as him quite liking Eddie Thomson on a personal level combined with knowing that Eddie is ill. As I said earlier I think Levein wont leave unless Eddie approves 100%, not just pressured into it by Hearts or sweetened with cash but actually approves for the sake of Levein, who would of course have to want to come here himself.

I'm pretty sure that Levein would be very keen to come if it were anyone else bar Romanov in charge. I reckon Romanov coming in the first place tipped Levein over the edge and into leaving and if thats the case, any fears he had about Romanov have been well and truly realised and he's too big a thinking man to come back for emotions sake.

Only a Game
The opinion of the OP that Hearts are panic buying clearly reveals the amount of power that newspapers can have over peoples opinions, something many of us often forget.

There is absolutely nothing in the factual evidence of these stories to suggest that but the media's need for a frenzy has built a picture in the minds of some people that Hearts are now overly desperate.

I think we are two rejections away from panic buying. The first of which I expect to happen early next week.

pennantjambo

Not at all m8

But I do agree that the newspapers do have massive influence on peoples opinions just like you say.

All i'm suggesting is that we ignore for now the names they are putting forward as I don't think the club had any intention of hiring CL, BD or JJ as part of their plan B.

If the club is prepared to wait another month to hopefully get Mr Right, and common sense will have prevailed.

I genuinely believe the Hearts job to be a cracking opportunity, lets hope there is a manager of quality out there brave enough to take it on.

I would suggest we are.

Six months to approach McGhee (officially) and we are now left with less than a month to find a new guy.

The Mighty Thor
I would suggest we are.

Six months to approach McGhee (officially) and we are now left with less than a month to find a new guy.[/quote

I'm with you here BH.

I don't think there was ever a plan B in place. I think the individuals involved are so arrogant and out of touch with the perception of HMFC that they thought they had McGhee signed sealed and delivered and therefore wouldn't need anyone else.

We must have a proper manager in place by the start of pre-season training.

I think we've made a major error waiting all this time for McGhee

We SHOULD have went to Motherwell and McGhee weeks ago and said " We want to speak to McGhee about the managers job and we know its been said nothing is happening till the end of the season, but we need to speak now or we'll have to move on and ask someone else".

A straightforward and final "NO" would 8 weeks ago would have been infinetly better than what we actually got.

I get where you're coming from but did we make an error or have we been roundly shafted.

For all we know, MM could have shook hands on a deal in principle back in January (as some people infact suggested).

Thig Ar Latha

I think its as simple as him quite liking Eddie Thomson on a personal level combined with knowing that Eddie is ill. As I said earlier I think Levein wont leave unless Eddie approves 100%, not just pressured into it by Hearts or sweetened with cash but actually approves for the sake of Levein, who would of course have to want to come here himself.

Doubt that will happen. He will want his legacy to Utd to be as healthy as possible, and that will include Levein as Manager.

BervieJambo

I fully expect Hearts to have a list of prefered candidates ready to work off. McGhee was clearly top of this list, so they, quite correctly, waited on his availability before approaching him. Romanov will wait until the dust has settled on that offer before approaching his next target (whom the press and us will continue to speculate about), probably during Euro2008 to divert some of the media attention. I do not think there is any need for panic... yet.

MacDonald Jardine

The usual moan about anything.

For months on here we've heard that we need a manager.

Now we're going too fast?

alwaysthereinspirit
One of the the more sensible post's i've read on here for a while.

You're being facetious aren't you.

Please tell me you are.

I really don't think Levein will leave Dundee utd, i read ages ago that one of his reasons for leaving Hearts was that Romanovs we're coming in and I certainly don't think that he will come back whilst Romanov is still here - I don't think he would trust Vlad not to break his promise and not interfere. Secondly he has a pretty strong relationship with Eddie Thomson and they have given him a place on the utd board, even when Eddie does go I think he'll still be there for a while.

As far as I can see JJ and Billy Davies are the main candidates at the moment, ones who'll take the job for the money and put up with the interferance should it start, more may appear but I can't forsee managers knocking down the tynecastle doors for this job.

No-one knows what's going on, so how can you know if Hearts are "panic buying" or not? Strange thread.

About the only quote to come from Hearts over this is the one saying that we'll appoint a new manager within the next four (I think?) weeks. In terms of getting a manager to a football club, that isn't really panic buying.

Archived