Edinburgh City Council - Biggest Wasters in Britain??

Rawrrrrrrr

Rawrrrrrrr

I was reading the EEN on the bus home tonight and was intrigued by the article regarding abuse of disabled parking permits

Apparently Edinburgh is the only council in the UK to have a dedicated investigator into it, now you would imagine such a job would take a salary of 30-40k .

This person last year managed to complete 6 investigations, although this is hopefully increasing to 12 this year

The penalties handed out by the courts are pretty minor too ( a couple hundred fine in the cases mentioned)

Now whilst I dont agree with those who do it, surely it is not acceptable to spend easily 50k plus an annum to police it when the outcome is so minimal

Apart from anything, its a criminal matter and one for the police to deal with, given he investigated so few incidents I just dont think its an acceptable position

Maybe its time ECC stop wasting our cash and concentrate on making a real difference

6 extra parking spaces and 2k in courts pockets per year doesnt do it for me

I was reading the EEN on the bus home tonight and was intrigued by the article regarding abuse of disabled parking permits

Apparently Edinburgh is the only council in the UK to have a dedicated investigator into it, now you would imagine such a job would take a salary of 30-40k .

This person last year managed to complete 6 investigations, although this is hopefully increasing to 12 this year

The penalties handed out by the courts are pretty minor too ( a couple hundred fine in the cases mentioned)

Now whilst I dont agree with those who do it, surely it is not acceptable to spend easily 50k plus an annum to police it when the outcome is so minimal

Apart from anything, its a criminal matter and one for the police to deal with, given he investigated so few incidents I just dont think its an acceptable position

Maybe its time ECC stop wasting our cash and concentrate on making a real difference

6 extra parking spaces and 2k in courts pockets per year doesnt do it for me

As someone who works for the ECC, I'm absolutely certain that lad will not be anywhere near ?30K salary. I'd say he's more likely on ?18K.

Whilst I take your point that there needs to be an outcome to justify spending money on such a position, I have to admit that nothing gets my goat as much as people who park in disabled spaces when it's not their badge. I hope that guy who's pictured was a hobo. That'd make me much happier.

Rawrrrrrrr
As someone who works for the ECC, I'm absolutely certain that lad will not be anywhere near ?30K salary. I'd say he's more likely on ?18K.

Whilst I take your point that there needs to be an outcome to justify spending money on such a position, I have to admit that nothing gets my goat as much as people who park in disabled spaces when it's not their badge. I hope that guy who's pictured was a hobo. That'd make me much happier.

It said the guy was a former Military policeman with substantial experience in criminal investigations who had a full remit as to who was investigated and how, including budgetary responsibility, not to mention the legal side of it, attending court cases and liaising and coordinating everyone when he was ready to move

I would be very surprised if he was on any less that 25k and would say its more likely to be low 30kish

My employer uses local authority scalepoints and middle level admin staff get 18k!!

Well you might be right but for ECC admin people get between ?10K and ?15K. I work with people in charge of some of the budgets who've been there for years and they're only just about ?25K so I'm basing it on that.

I do think that there are a lot of things that the council do waste money on but it's harsh to call it, and therefore all folk that do work hard for rubbish money, wasters. I've worked for Birmingham City Council and they're waaaay worse.

The Doctor

Slightly off the point, but not off topic.

I just moved my work to a new building at the back of the Grassmarket, up one of the closes (Warden's Close, next to Bar Salsa) and it's all single yellow lines up the close.

Everyday there are between four and six cars parked there with disabled passes, including a guy who has two vehicles, one a works van! Another is a young guy in a hot hatch who leaps in and out of it seemingly without a care in the world!

I don't know how you get these disabled badges, I don't know how abled you need to be before you don't qualify, but I'm a bit overweight and sometimes I groan involuntarily getting out of my car.

What I do know is where I'd start investigating...

Stuart Lyon

When I read the article I too thought it was absurd to employ someone just to look into the abuse of these passes. Its like I mentioned on here a few months ago when I saw 2 people with hard hats and high visibility jackets walking along Rose Street who turned out to be 'Tram Helpers' wtf is a Tram Helper and why are they needed? The environmental wardens are another case in point as they too don't seem to have made a blind bit of difference. :annoyed:

Archived