Truck Protests

Rawrrrrrrr

Rawrrrrrrr

The current ones are a waste of time, all they do is annoy people by causing major traffic jams, loosing people business and generally annoying everyone except those who matter

Back in 2000 the Fuel Depot protests worked very quickly, maybes its time for them to do that

Im sure after a few days of the country grinding to a stand-still Darling and Brown would suddenly find a way of shaving a few p off the tax minimum at the very least

Sure it would pursuade the retailers to take a minor hit in their profits too

the price today is hitting 115.9p up here and it seems to be going up almost daily, whilst oil prices are high I refuse to believe the government would not shave a few p off if the truckers caused enough mayhem

The current ones are a waste of time, all they do is annoy people by causing major traffic jams, loosing people business and generally annoying everyone except those who matter

Back in 2000 the Fuel Depot protests worked very quickly, maybes its time for them to do that

Im sure after a few days of the country grinding to a stand-still Darling and Brown would suddenly find a way of shaving a few p off the tax minimum at the very least

Sure it would pursuade the retailers to take a minor hit in their profits too

the price today is hitting 115.9p up here and it seems to be going up almost daily, whilst oil prices are high I refuse to believe the government would not shave a few p off if the truckers caused enough mayhem

to quote you:

Dry your eyes

Your car can't use that much fuel as you only pay ?35 for road tax a year

The road tax doesnt bother me at all, mines is only ?35 a year or something :)

if you can't afford to put fuel in your car then don't use it simple as!

Truckers are the new miners/steelworkers/shipworkers. They should either learn to operate more efficiently or go the way of the industrial dinosaurs of the 1970s and 1980s.

If they insist on blocking roads or fuel depots, then set the Army on them.

Rawrrrrrrr
to quote you:

Theres a big difference between the road tax and the fact the government get about 70p a litre on petrol for a start

And whilst it doesnt overly bother me as much as others, the prices are getting ridicolous and having a knock on effect everywhere

Have a look at prices and pretty much everything is having significant rises brought about by fuel prices

As for Therapists comment, that is maybe part of it, but hauliers need fuel, whilst im sure they could make some savings I doubt it is enough to prevent the massive inflation that is happening on everything due to fuel price rises

If they insist on blocking roads or fuel depots, then set the Army on them.

Too obvious. How about getting the army to dress as policemen and then letting them batter lumps out of them.

Or is that too outlandish for anyone to attempt?

Theres a big difference between the road tax and the fact the government get about 70p a litre on petrol for a start

To me there is no difference between road tax and what we pay in fuel duty, both are taxes that are being squandered by the government, the hit drivers in the pocket as drivers are an easy target.

The op that posted about the road tax was actually complaining about the state of the roads that they are paying the tax thats meant to maintain them. The government spend very little of what they take in road tax, compared to what they spend maintaining the roads and transport infrustructure.

Gerd Muller

I was checking some information out on google. This is an AA report, Its a PDF file. On the 2nd page it shows the difference in price of fuel. It also shows how much in UK pence a litre of fuel is in that country. Now, I'm I getting this correct, is it ?0.53 per litre of unleaded in America?

Also what I dont understand is why the difference from town to town?

In Rosyth its always 2-3p cheaper than Dalgety Bay.

Gerd Muller

Note: The cheapest places in Europe for petrol are Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania!

Rawrrrrrrr
I was checking some information out on google. This is an AA report, Its a PDF file. On the 2nd page it shows the difference in price of fuel. It also shows how much in UK pence a litre of fuel is in that country. Now, I'm I getting this correct, is it ?0.53 per litre of unleaded in America?

Also what I dont understand is why the difference from town to town?

Most retailers have local pricing strategies, Im guessing but its likely, Tesco,Morrisons or Asda are in a local area and charge quite a bit less than shell etc would otherwise lowering prices

Out this way we are always 2p dearer due to the closeness of the M8, M9 and M90

As for roads being a bad condition, maybe they are but I just think of the fact I pay ?35 a year and ask what can I really expect for ?35:rolleyes:

You will find that it is due to the petrol station in Dalgety Bay being owned by BP who imo are the most expensive petrol retailers in Britain, they have a Petrol station which is just over the road from Grangemouth, and it is expensive also.

Rawrrrrrrr
You will find that it is due to the petrol station in Dalgety Bay being owned by BP who imo are the most expensive petrol retailers in Britain, they have a Petrol station which is just over the road from Grangemouth, and it is expensive also.

Prices here are

Shell 114.9

Tesco 115.9

BP 118.9

Shell are normally always the cheapest which is quite surprising, I tend to buy it when I am in town though as its always 2 or 3p cheaper

I never ever go to BP as they just take the **** - think they must rely on card customers etc where fleet drivers dont care what they pay

The BP on queensferry road is about 1.22 a litre now:wacko:

Gerd Muller

The question I want answered is about the America paying only ?0.53 for one litre of unleaded. Is it true? If it is, why are the government charging so much? Surely we get it from the same place. That more than double.

Rawrrrrrrr
The question I want answered is about the America paying only ?0.53 for one litre of unleaded. Is it true? If it is, why are the government charging so much? Surely we get it from the same place. That more than double.

Its probably about right, there is an outcry in the US as well due to the prices as they have went up a lot recently, if only they knew

The government charge about 70p a litre, once you add on the raw costs and a profit margin its at the level it currently is at

The tax is clearly the easiest bit to attack as the profit margin is low, and the raw costs are hard to reduce as such

Gerd Muller
Prices here are

Shell 114.9

Tesco 115.9

BP 118.9

Shell are normally always the cheapest which is quite surprising, I tend to buy it when I am in town though as its always 2 or 3p cheaper

I never ever go to BP as they just take the **** - think they must rely on card customers etc where fleet drivers dont care what they pay

The BP on queensferry road is about 1.22 a litre now:wacko:

So its a JKB boycott of BP garages from now on. !! :).

Yes, its Shell who are in Rosyth and they have always been cheaper.

Also, I have a tesco club card and dont know if its in my best interests to go there or not as you can get clubcard points which in turn, turn to money off vouchers.

Gerd Muller
Its probably about right, there is an outcry in the US as well due to the prices as they have went up a lot recently, if only they knew

The government charge about 70p a litre, once you add on the raw costs and a profit margin its at the level it currently is at

The tax is clearly the easiest bit to attack as the profit margin is low, and the raw costs are hard to reduce as such

RIP OFF BRITAIN.

Far too expensive. To be fair, I could cycle to my work every day, its only 5 miles there and 5 miles back. I just cant believe the prices and can just see them increasing.

For some reason, I can see it kicking off soon, house prices too high, fuel prices too high, and not enough people getting wage increase to combat the increases of fuel and mortgages.

http://www.petrolprices.com/

coppercrutch

This is from 2 years ago but the ratio is probably pretty spot on.

Petrol is expensive in the UK. However it is not much more expensive than a lot of other comparable countries.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/au-en/shell_for_motorists/petrol_pricing/prices/world_prices_0116.html

oecd_ulp1.jpg

If they reduce the tax of our petrol they will just add it onto something else. Give to one hand take from another.

Benefits are the problem in this country. They are what needs sorted. If they were then we wouldn't have to worry about petrol prices. We would all be better off and the **** would starve to death. Bonus.

Harsh, but fair.

The Old Tolbooth
to quote you:

Spot the oil rig worker :rolleyes:

;)

Had to laugh at the truckers who were talking about blockades.Arent they the same truckers who were greeting about blockades about a month ago?

Boaby Ewing

Government taxes as a proportion of fuel prices have actually gone down over the last year - but there is an argument for dropping those taxes in the short-term given that the price of a barrel of crude oil has roughly doubled in that time.

The government's in a bit of catch-22 -- it needs to balance it's long-term goal of encouraging a reduction in carbon emissions (via punitive taxes) against the short-term impact on the economy.

The complex solution would be to link the level of fuel taxation to long-term aims - i.e. what you pay at the pumps isn't linked to the vagaries of global oil markets (which they have little to no control over) plus whatever they're claiming in tax, but have the tax rate adjust to allow a gradual increase in fuel costs over time.

In simple terms, that would mean as the price of crude goes up, the level of taxation would go down (but not by quite as much to totally counteract the rise in costs... so the price of fuel increases gradually to encourage greater conservation without tanking the economy).

The reverse could also be true.

But in the current climate, where the government is already facing a budget shortfall due to the slowdown in the economy, that's unlikely to happen -- even if a targeted cut for hauliers could (in theory) be used to calm rising inflation (as the rising cost of fuel feeds through into the price of food etc. due to delivery costs) -- they're loathe to do it. There's a budget short-fall that needs to be filled as best as possible, and at the same time they don't want to send a signal to producer nations that rising crude costs will be countered by lower tax revenues in consumer countries.

There's a balance point somewhere, but much like the ideal level of national taxation (via direct or stealth taxes) it's very ill defined and hard to judge.

Personally, given the relatively unique nature of European haulage (where trucks can fill-up for cheaper on the continent most of the time, thus rendering questions of U.K. taxation null and void, in a way which doesn't impact your average U.K. commuter) I'd say there's a pretty strong argument for coming up with a formula to try and protect our domestic trucking industry in the short-term.

Long-term, I don't really have an issue with higher fuel costs, but I fear the majority of the current U.K government are more concerned about losing out on tax revenues in the short-term, than worrying about what it might do to one particular industry, let alone the overall economy.

Doctor FinnBarr
Too obvious. How about getting the army to dress as policemen and then letting them batter lumps out of them.

Or is that too outlandish for anyone to attempt?

You are being sacastic I presume? I can remember well regimented "Police" turning up at Polkemmet in Whitburn still wearing camo trousers!

:mad:

You are being sacastic I presume? I can remember well regimented "Police" turning up at Polkemmet in Whitburn still wearing camo trousers!

I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

Doctor FinnBarr
I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

Just checking, some on this board would not believe that things like that really happen!

Yup. Gas is about $3.85 a gallon right now (double what it was a couple of years ago; hence the outcry). There are approx 4 litres in a US gallon, so that's about 3.85/4 = 86.25c a litre, which is about 45p.

Having said that, I live in NJ where petrol is relatively cheap, it can be $5 in other states.

Boaby Ewing
How longs the short term?

How long's a piece of string? :P

But in the above scenario, you'd have a gradual increase in fuel costs, irrespective of rapidly rising (or falling) crude oil costs globally.

Basically, if the government's justification for 'high' taxation levels on fuel is to encourage better conservation/lower carbon outputs due to the disincentive of the price mechanism, it's a wee bit unfair to keep taxation levels the same when the underlying price of the commodity (in this case crude oil) has roughly doubled in the past year.

The desired 'demand destruction' is already there -- yet they're loathe to cut taxes as it directly impacts their own budget (fuel taxes aren't 'ring-fenced' for research into alternative energy resources or environmental works).

Short-term, crude prices are at historical highs (approx $130 a barrel versus $60 - $70 a barrel at this time last year... and around $30 a barrel earlier this decade). They may come down, but few are predicting they'll fall much below $100 a barrel this year or next. And they may go higher still.

How long's a piece of string? :P

Well the answer to that question is twice the length from the center to the end!

Spot the oil rig worker :rolleyes:

;)

Not to be pedantic, but it is an Oil producing platform, oil rigs are used for drilling for oil. ;)

Came back from a trip to Las Vegas two weeks ago. The most consistent price of gas was $3.82 U.S. My average tank on fill up was twelve gallons. The gas when I left Canada on the trip was $1.30Cdn a liter. It is presently $1.35 to go up to $1.40 any time soon. We are also in addition to fuel costs going to be charged I believe $0.18 carbon tax to fight global warming.

Where it has hit me recently I have needed a plumber, and an air conditioning technician, on top of their service charge, and their point to point charge they are now charging for local trips here in Kelowna $15.75 fuel surcharge.

coppercrutch
Came back from a trip to Las Vegas two weeks ago. The most consistent price of gas was $3.82 U.S. My average tank on fill up was twelve gallons. The gas when I left Canada on the trip was $1.30Cdn a liter. It is presently $1.35 to go up to $1.40 any time soon. We are also in addition to fuel costs going to be charged I believe $0.18 carbon tax to fight global warming.

Where it has hit me recently I have needed a plumber, and an air conditioning technician, on top of their service charge, and their point to point charge they are now charging for local trips here in Kelowna $15.75 fuel surcharge.

In the future this sort of thing will be looked at as one of the biggest cons of all time. IMO.

The Old Tolbooth
Not to be pedantic, but it is an Oil producing platform, oil rigs are used for drilling for oil. ;)

Oooh, hark at her :mw_tease:

We should all upsticks and move to Venezuela - petrol is 0.7p per litre over there :o :O

You are being sacastic I presume? I can remember well regimented "Police" turning up at Polkemmet in Whitburn still wearing camo trousers!:mad:

Even though i was still a schoolboy at the time, my mates & i could spot the soldiers masquerading as old bill at Bilston Glen by the ill-fitting uniforms and lack of badges & numbers on their shoulders or chests.

Archived