Gordon Chisholm - yes or no

robbo22

Gordon Chisholm - next manager  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Gordon Chisholm - next manager

• yes
    • no

Drew Busby !

So far it's a poll-result of Frail-esque proportions (in percentage terms anyway).

Thank feck for that.

I voted No, however if he got the job I would give him the support that I would give any manager who is in charge of Hearts.

For me many of the names we are being linked with are much of a muchness.

Mcghee

Levein

Jeffries

Davies

Chisolm

etc. etc.

All have success and failure at different levels on their CV's. The difference at Hearts is that they are likely to have a bigger budget than they are often used to. The challenge is to use that budget wisely. You could argue that few of the above have been a success when given a bigger budget than you would find at most clubs in the SPL.

If we truly are considering Chisholm it just goes to show how our goals have changed. He will NEVER be good enough to take us into the top 3 or challenge the OF. To appoint him would be a clear admission that we're not aiming any higher than our current position.

Charlie-Brown

Very few highly experienced managers (barring a few mostly Old Firm exceptions) have ever come to manage in the SPL and certainly not returning from England unless they were out of work. Even the likes of Jansen, Advocaat & Le Guen were taking their first UK appointment.

The Hearts job along with most other SPL teams including the Old Firm posts have been filled by aspiring (mostly younger) managers looking to move up the ladder.

Drylaw Hearts
Very few highly experienced managers (barring a few mostly Old Firm exceptions) have ever come to manage in the SPL and certainly not returning from England unless they were out of work. Even the likes of Jansen, Advocaat & Le Guen were taking their first UK appointment.

The Hearts job along with most other SPL teams including the Old Firm posts have been filled by aspiring (mostly younger) managers looking to move up the ladder.

You forgot George Burley.

:)

I might be wrong, but I can't think of another example where a manager did a terrible job at an SPL club, dropped down a division or 2, had a bit of success at a wee club and then was offered one of the supposed top jobs in the SPL. Can you?

Charlie-Brown
You forgot George Burley.

:)

No I didn't DH - I said very few had I didn't say none had.....but also he was an out of work championship manager at the time.

Drylaw Hearts
No I didn't DH - I said very few had I didn't say none had.....but also he was an out of work championship manager at the time.

But he was highly experienced.

Charlie-Brown
But he was highly experienced.

Mark McGhee was experienced & out of work when he returned to Motherwell, Walter Smith was experienced and out of work when he returned to Rangers, Gordon Strachan was experienced and out of work when he returned to Celtic, Burley was experienced & out of work when he returned to Hearts, Jeffries was experienced & out of work when he returned to Killie....all were also Scottish. Levein at Tannadice would also fit into this category but for a month a Raith.

Martin O'Neil was one of the very few who came straight from the Premiership(?) to Celtic

Advocaat, Le Guen, & Jansen were taking their first UK post as was Skovdahl & Kampman.....

Most of the rest McLeish, Collins, Paateleinan, Mowbray, Rix, Robertson, Levein(1st time), MacDonald, Jordan, S.Clark, Chisholm, McCall, Brewster, Calderwood, Paterson, B.Davies, E.Black, Butcher, Malpas etc etc were all mostly younger managers looking to progress their career. You could add Souness & John Barnes to this list also.

ToadKiller Dog
Walter Smith was experienced and out of work when he returned to Rangers,

And there was me thinking he was is the middle of a qualifing campaign with scotland ?

Charlie-Brown
And there was me thinking he was is the middle of a qualifing campaign with scotland ?

Well spotted .... well he was experienced and out of work for a while before he returned for the scotland job..... :)

Based on what GC has done with QOTS and how much a weasel frail is...I said yes to GC.

I would much rather have rix the GC though

I would much rather have jeffries than Rix

I would rather have B Davies that JJ

as long as it's not a pyramid puppet. I do not care now!

Other than Levein or Jefferies, there isn't a manager in Scotland in a job right now I would take.

Turning to the unemployed - I don't want Souness. I don't want Scala. I'm not even sure I want Davies, although this is hugely more appealing than the previous pair. If those 3 were that good, why haven't they been picked up before now by another club?

Frail isn't up to it. Sadly. I like the bloke.

So if the question is would I take Chisholm without trying to tempt Levein and/or Jefferies back (or possibly Davies), then the answer is no.

If we can't get Levein or Jefferies (or possibly Davies), would I take Chisholm instead of the last eastern European no-mark to graduate from FC Kaunas? You better believe I would.

siegementality
So who are the promising up & coming managers in Scottish Football if Chisholm isn't one of them?

An up and coming manager is not what we require at this moment in time. We need someone with experience. We need a relatively big name to restore confidence in the club.

It's a pity that it wasn't leaked that we were about to get someone like Chisolm. Then, once it apparently has fallen through we could get someone marginally better and everyone would be happy. Unfortunately, since we looked set to get McGhee everone has now got high expectations.

Before the McGhee rumours, I would have taken anyone with a decent track record in Scotland. Now we are back to thinking we'll get a big name.

Charlie-Brown
An up and coming manager is not what we require at this moment in time. We need someone with experience. We need a relatively big name to restore confidence in the club.

What like Eric Black, Bobby Williamson, Terry Butcher or Paul Lambert?

All of them, yes all of them would be better than Rae, McInnes or Chisolm.

shaun.lawson
All of them, yes all of them would be better than Rae, McInnes or Chisolm.

FWIW, I'd take any of Rae, McInnes or Chisholm over old Blobby; and put Chisholm about level with Lambert too. As for Eric Black: Coventry fans think highly of him after his spell there, y'know. He can't want to be Steve Bruce's assistant forever, and I'd have him in the 'gamble, but could work' category alongside Steve Clarke myself.

Guys, I hate to say it ... but .... this is where we are at.

MM would have been (for us) top drawer, but even top money couldn't persuade him to suffer the grief so get used to the level that is Chisolm.

ScottishSandstorm

The first two are okay but never the last two. Eric Black is the best there. I wouldn't cry if we got Williamson but Butcher and Lambert are terrible managers.

Jam Tarts 1874

I have voted "yes" simply because if it comes down to Frail/pyramid puppet v Chisholm, I'd take Chisholm. Hopefully it won't come to such a state of affairs though.

The People's Chimp

Gigalo-aunt's signature says:

the world is a sick place

well, hopefully not that sick.

I wouldn't for the reason that he isnt an established enough manager to deal with Romanov's pish. I feel a stronger characted with a higher standing in the British game is required to stand up to Romanov. McGhee would have for example, I just dont think Chisolm would get enough respect from Vlad.

Altough he has done a good job with Queens. A very impressively professional performance against Rankgers as well.

simple yes or no - would you be happy to see him as our next manager.

personally I wouldn't.

:107years:

No way, go for Jose!

Hasn't even proved himself at QoS.

Archived