Great tribute to McCraes Battallion

assessor

As it says, a great season topped with winning the league , 100 years since the team signed up to McCraes,, wearing the commemorative strip , hopefully funds raised to complete the 1914 statue.

A great tribute to our war heroes.

As someone who's Great Grandfather , big Hearts man , was killed during Great War, it makes me very proud of my team , The Heart of Midlothian.

Good luck to Falkirk in cup , same as Hearts team in joining the McCraes 100 years ago.

Alva-Jambo

As it says, a great season topped with winning the league , 100 years since the team signed up to McCraes,, wearing the commemorative strip , hopefully funds raised to complete the 1914 statue.

A great tribute to our war heroes.

As someone who's Great Grandfather , big Hearts man , was killed during Great War, it makes me very proud of my team , The Heart of Midlothian.

Good luck to Falkirk in cup , same as Hearts team in joining the McCraes 100 years ago.

this, yes. 

this, yes.

Had the pleasure of meeting the team in the dressing room before a game a few weeks back. Got my copy of McCraes Battalion signed and had a brief chat with Robbie about this poignant year. The league, 100 years, Dave MacKay

alanbauld

The real slaughter of the 16th Royal Scots was the 1st July 1916 made even worse that the 15th Royal Scots went over the top before them and had it even tougher.

I hope we give this day the respect they deserve and we have not been found wanting so far in commemorating them. Personally I hope to be in France with my family at my grandfathers grave who died with the 16th on the 1st of July.

On the evening of 3 July what was left of the 15th and 16th Battalions were relieved and they marched back to Becourt wood. They had been more successful than any other unit in 34 Division yet they had advanced less than two kilometres. The price had been high. The 15th Battalion, who had led the attack, lost 18 officers and 610 soldiers, killed, wounded or missing while the 16th?s figures were 12 officers and 460 soldiers. The losses were such that in the future neither was able to rely solely on recruits from Edinburgh, where both had been raised. For the rest of the war both battalions received drafts from throughout Scotland but, despite that necessity, they retained their special links with Scotland?s capital. 

Edited by alanbauld

• 7 years later...
Seaside Dave

This is my story

This is my song

It's a long way from Gorgie

To the fields o' the Somme

Where they played tunes of glory

As we marched along

The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

From the Heart of Midlothian

To the Waverly train

The crowds they were singing

An auld Scots refrain

Our sweethearts and darlings

Our bonnie wee bairns

Were waving their flags

And calling our names

Sing Hearts of Glory

Dawn and sunset

Hearts of glory

Lest we forget

Young Scottish soldiers

And soldiers unknown

Who gave hearts of glory❤️

57 minutes ago, Seaside Dave said:

This is my story

This is my song

It's a long way from Gorgie

To the fields o' the Somme

Where they played tunes of glory

As we marched along

The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

From the Heart of Midlothian

To the Waverly train

The crowds they were singing

An auld Scots refrain

Our sweethearts and darlings

Our bonnie wee bairns

Were waving their flags

And calling our names

Sing Hearts of Glory

Dawn and sunset

Hearts of glory

Lest we forget

Young Scottish soldiers

And soldiers unknown

Who gave hearts of glory❤️

Epic. Lest we forget 

Seaside Dave
10 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Epic. Lest we forget 

One of my favourite songs ever mate. A song quite close to home with family members at the Somme and then my football team sending players to the Somme aswell.