Donkey on talk 107 NOW!!!

dj-noisy

With Vladimir Romanov's penchant for loyalty, this smack in the face may be the final straw as far as appointing a British manager is concerned.

It may be time to look out that Russian phrasebook again...

The Vulture

He was another one who said MM is coming and also said so on various Scotsman threads.

Time for Vlad to show he's got some balls. If he gets knocked down and scampers back to the safety of 2nd rate E.Europeans then what's he going to do at the first setback for the new stand?

As said on another thread, go bigger and better, bring in a name, let him work and let the team perform as per start of 2005. Make the Old **** sh*t themselves again.

MM was coming.....you think he just fancied a trip to London yesterday?? Everything was in place but MM changed him mind. No one could have foreseen that!

Guest JamboRobbo
MM was coming.....you think he just fancied a trip to London yesterday?? Everything was in place but MM changed him mind. No one could have foreseen that!

I agree no-one could know McGhee would change his mind at the last minute, however, if we've waited 5 months in order to try and get our man with nothing signed and no guarantees, then it would be unbelievably stupid of us to wait that 5 months and NOT have any sort of back up plan, just in case he changed his mind.

Surely, HMFC cannot have been so stupid?

What? You mean that there isn't an angry Kickback mob outside the studio with torches and pitchforks? I for one am flabbergasted.

With Vladimir Romanov's penchant for loyalty, this smack in the face may be the final straw as far as appointing a British manager is concerned.

If romanov uses that as an excuse to appoint some random eastern european puppet then he really does think we where born yesterday...one person lets him down once and so he condemns a whole race of people as being untrustworthy??

From Donkey's article:

VR really is mental if he equates all British managers with how MM has acted (arguably loyally to his current club!).

C'mon Donkey, what aren't you telling us or are you merely speculating?

The simple fact is he should never have been needing to fly to Lithuania. If Romanov had met him in Edinburgh or indeed London then the Boyle phone call could have been negated. That has turned the deal and left us with no play but we only have ourselves to blame.

Bottom line is Boyle wanted Mcghee more than Romanov.

From Donkey's article:

VR really is mental if he equates all British managers with how MM has acted (arguably loyally to his current club!).

C'mon Donkey, what aren't you telling us or are you merely speculating?

I think he's hedging his bets. As if a pyramid boy comes in he can say "told you so" and if not then he can gloss past it.

Drylaw Hearts

Superb.

Buffalo Bill

MD was updating the Talk 107 site as and when he found something new to write. The guy was just doing his job. I don't think he led anyone on. McGhee was on his way to meet Vlad. Pity we let him travel alone.

Buffalo Bill

Stuart Lyon

Loyalty in football or business (isn't that what footie is nowadays) is a dead concept! Whether it be owners, managers or players money usually talks although it seems not to have in MM's case. Why should an east european manager be any more loyal particularly if he i successful and becomes targeted by bigger clubs? Surely Vlad can see that because if he can't then in the words of Private Wilson "we're all doomed laddie"'

I agree no-one could know McGhee would change his mind at the last minute, however, if we've waited 5 months in order to try and get our man with nothing signed and no guarantees, then it would be unbelievably stupid of us to wait that 5 months and NOT have any sort of back up plan, just in case he changed his mind.

JR

Hearts promised MM that they would wait due to the P O'D situation etc... but you are right - they should have had a plan B.

I am worried we will head back to the pyramid with VR saying I told you so re loyalty etc...

As someone else said his actions were displaying loyalty. Everything up till then was the sort of thing Vlad supposedly hates. Clandestine meetings, presumably agent stirring and the unsettling of a rivals asset. Imagine if it had been the old firm doing this. Wouldn't we all be condemning it in the same way we did when they unsettled Naismith, Webster etc.

flecktimus
MD was updating the Talk 107 site as and when he found something new to write. The guy was just doing his job. I don't think he led anyone on. McGhee was on his way to meet Vlad. Pity we let him travel alone.

Buffalo Bill

I agree

Just seems typical in todays jambo climate :) who can forsee MM changing his mind as he is at the plane door. Surely that was the point of no return for him and if there is any truth in the rumour about WGS and MM going there we have to concede we can't compete with the Celtic job. Not good that immediately it happens were all back arguing amongst ourselves. I hope we still get a good British manager with a track record and can push on. Were in same place we were in 2005 so lets hope things go the way of that summer and we kick on without the antics of the last 30 months.

Maroon Mayhem

If you'd rather see a journalist regurgitate our offerings on JKB like Barry Anderson at the EEN then be my guest. I'd much rather hear something new like the MD story a week ago. We all speculated but he was the first journo to have the balls to come out with it, hats off to you!

As far as loyalty goes, let's face it, we've seen this all before from JJ. If you look at things in a rational manner then surely we can see that there's been some pressure excerted on MM probably playing heavily on the O'Donnell card. His reasons for moving to us will ALL still be in play as they won't have matched our money, they haven't suddenly become a bigger club overnight and the stepping stone to a job at Celtic hasn't suddenly become clearer.

Vlad hasn't anywhere else to go in the pyramid, all the Aces have been played and if it's loyalty he wants then surely MM is an example.

This isnt all that negative.

Guest JamboRobbo
JR

Hearts promised MM that they would wait due to the P O'D situation etc... but you are right - they should have had a plan B.

I am worried we will head back to the pyramid with VR saying I told you so re loyalty etc...

Sounds about right mate. No major problems waiting 5 months for our man, as has been proven was now the case.

But they should've had a backup plan just in case.

siegementality

Buffalo Bill

Fatal error of judgement indeed.

I have it on good authority that McGee wanted a similar clause inserted into his contact with Hearts that he had with Motherwell, a "release" clause should a certain club come calling. This wasn't a problem apparently for Motherwell to agree to however this became a stumbling block when it became Romanov wouldn't budge on this. I think we all know, rightly or wrongly, Romanov's opinion which is that everyone in Scotland wants to play for the Old Firm and perhaps this has merely reinforced this belief.

All Hearts had to do to get Mcgee as Manager was to agree that should C*****c come calling that he could talk to them. Romanov point blank refused to allow this to be included and as a result McGee decided to stay where he was.

Well, it could be true!

I have it on good authority that McGee wanted a similar clause inserted into his contact with Hearts that he had with Motherwell, a "release" clause should a certain club come calling. This wasn't a problem apparently for Motherwell to agree to however this became a stumbling block when it became Romanov wouldn't budge on this. I think we all know, rightly or wrongly, Romanov's opinion which is that everyone in Scotland wants to play for the Old Firm and perhaps this has merely reinforced this belief.

All Hearts had to do to get Mcgee as Manager was to agree that should C*****c come calling that he could talk to them. Romanov point blank refused to allow this to be included and as a result McGee decided to stay where he was.

Well, it could be true!

He decided to stay at Motherwell before he even got on the plane to go and speak to Romanov.

Buffalo Bill

Indeed. A massive error which has cost us our number 1 target. Where the hell is Charlie Mann ?? Is he still employed by Romanov and if so what the feck does he do ? Not a peep from him even now. I wonder who Romanov will blame for this falling through.

McGee's agent has been in discussion with Hearts for over a week now and his flight to meet Romanov was to discuss the contract face to face.

Correct, he didn't get on the plane however he was told in no uncertain terms prior to this that Hearts would NOT put a clause in any contract allowing a member of its staff to deal with another club without Hearts being involved in the discussions. He's obviously thought enough is enough and whether this has been the only issue he had with coming to Hearts is open to conjecture however it certainly was one of them.

Or perhaps not.

Seymour M Hersh
time kills deals. 5 months and we could finalise it when the time came.

Normally I'd agree but we don't know why this proposed deal took as long as it did to come to a head. Maybe there is truth in the rumour McGhee wanted it left to the end of the season after the death of O'Donnell. But remember, the club moved for him overtly as soon as the season was over.

Seymour M Hersh

But if the club had been sure they had the right man is it unfair to suggest they relaxed the search others. After all everyone appears to agree it came (the U turn) out of left field.

Charlie-Brown

Craig, Billy, Jim - can you wait by the phone & put your future plans on hold in case Mark decides at the last minute he doesn't fancy it anymore........

Guest JamboRobbo
But if the club had been sure they had the right man is it unfair to suggest they relaxed the search others.

Unless it was a done deal (which clearly it wasn't), then putting all their eggs in one basket for five months seems incredibly stupid IMO.

After all everyone appears to agree it came (the U turn) out of left field.

Well, if no-one at HMFC thought something out of left field could happen, I can only wonder why not. U turns happen all the time in football.

Craig, Billy, Jim - can you wait by the phone & put your future plans on hold in case Mark decides at the last minute he doesn't fancy it anymore........

Here come's the fire brigade, putting out yet more flames for Romanov.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Fatal error of judgement indeed.

Why was no-one going with him to Lithuania?

Surely Ogilvie or something should have been accompanying him?

Guest JamboRobbo

Or how about

Hearts, can you wait by the phone & put your plans to appoint a manager on hold, then in five months time i'll let you know whether I fancy signing a contract or not.........aye, no bother Mark.

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems that we apparently did that......

Charlie-Brown
Or how about

Hearts, can you wait by the phone & put your plans to appoint a manager on hold, then in five months time i'll let you know whether I fancy signing a contract or not.........aye, no bother Mark.

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems that we apparently did that......

You don't think Hearts should have tried to sign Mark McGhee then if he was their number one target?

You weren't shouting before yesterday that waiting for McGhee was the wrong thing to do.......

Guest JamboRobbo
You don't think Hearts should have tried to sign Mark McGhee then if he was their number one target?

You weren't shouting before yesterday that waiting for McGhee was the wrong thing to do.......

No problem with waiting for him.

Big problem if we wait 5 months, without him having signed anything, and don't even bother making backup plans in case it didn't work out. That doesn't necessarily mean having people waiting by the phone, but it does mean having sounded people out, done interviews (where possible), knowing what financial deal they and there club are looking for etc.

Basically, it should take days, rather than months, to appoint plan b or plan c.

Neither JR or the vast majority (if not all) of the JKB member's were privvy to whether this deal was in anyway likely to collapse. Romanov should have known if this was at all a possibility after his people had approached (allegedly) Mcghee nearly 6 months ago. However, it is completely in keeping with the running of Hearts that we have had to endure a disgraceful season because they have been waiting to make this appointment and then when it comes to sealing the deal they can't deliver. Farcical, typical but not surprising.

Hearts clearly did not have this in the bag (more fool them) and we are now left not only with egg on our face but with the fact that any appointment now will be at best 2nd choice and quite possibly 2nd rate.

Boyle wanted Mcghee more than Romanov, simple.

cosanostra

Do we have to start calling him Dhonkey now? :sad:

(Only joking Donkey, i think you do a good job, let us know as soon as you hear who the owners might be looking at next)

Bootboy100
No problem with waiting for him.

Big problem if we wait 5 months, without him having signed anything, and don't even bother making backup plans in case it didn't work out. That doesn't necessarily mean having people waiting by the phone, but it does mean having sounded people out, done interviews (where possible), knowing what financial deal they and there club are looking for etc.

Basically, it should take days, rather than months, to appoint plan b or plan c.

Please tell me how you can get a manager who is under contract with another club to sign a contract with us when we didnt even have permission to speak to him yet??

Bootboy100
Neither JR or the vast majority (if not all) of the JKB member's were privvy to whether this deal was in anyway likely to collapse. Romanov should have known if this was at all a possibility after his people had approached (allegedly) Mcghee nearly 6 months ago. However, it is completely in keeping with the running of Hearts that we have had to endure a disgraceful season because they have been waiting to make this appointment and then when it comes to sealing the deal they can't deliver. Farcical, typical but not surprising.

Hearts clearly did not have this in the bag (more fool them) and we are now left not only with egg on our face but with the fact that any appointment now will be at best 2nd choice and quite possibly 2nd rate.

Boyle wanted Mcghee more than Romanov, simple.

How do you know this??

For once i just wish that hearts would let us all know what is going on,ie was mm asking for a release clause,is there a plan b etc.

lay off donkey he is hearts daft and you could feel his frustration on the radio this morning. donkey called it 100% right with MM nobody could have guesed that the fool would turn down the chance to turn hearts round then pick nearly any team he wanted to manage in doing so getting 4 times what he gets now. like webster he will regret turning his back on the famous JT`s.

hartyfaeclery
lay off donkey he is hearts daft and you could feel his frustration on the radio this morning. donkey called it 100% right with MM nobody could have guesed that the fool would turn down the chance to turn hearts round then pick nearly any team he wanted to manage in doing so getting 4 times what he gets now. like webster he will regret turning his back on the famous JT`s.

doubt it, MM will have no regrets about not joining hearts

Only a Game
lay off donkey he is hearts daft and you could feel his frustration on the radio this morning.

He's frustrated because he staked what was left of his minimal credibility on Mark Mcghee being appointed.

If Mark McGhee still had to go through an 8 day interview process, Donaldson called it WRONG. It was no where near a done deal, as has been proven. He merely wished that it was and led many down the path of believing him.

He has previous for jumping the gun and previous for bringing Hearts stories into the public domain that just dont have any substance.

He has done it big time this time and his credibilty now is along the same lines as everyone else on here who assured us that they KNEW it was a done deal

If he comes up with Billy Davies as a done deal next week, will anyone pay the slightest attention. If any of the "in the know" posters come up with it will you pay much attention ? I know I wont.

Do you know where hell is
He's frustrated because he staked what was left of his minimal credibility on Mark Mcghee being appointed.

If Mark McGhee still had to go through an 8 day interview process, Donaldson called it WRONG. It was no where near a done deal, as has been proven. He merely wished that it was and led many down the path of believing him.

He has previous for jumping the gun and previous for bringing Hearts stories into the public domain that just dont have any substance.

He has done it big time this time and his credibilty now is along the same lines as everyone else on here who assured us that they KNEW it was a done deal

If he comes up with Billy Davies as a done deal next week, will anyone pay the slightest attention. If any of the "in the know" posters come up with it will you pay much attention ? I know I wont.

I dont know you from adam and i am not trying to be offensive, but get a grip and grow up.

Do you feel let down? did you happen to believe a journalist? As has been stated the man is hearts daft and seeing as he is a fan who works in the media he would have been desperate to let the other fans know the info he was privvy to.

Hearts have allegedly been after MM for nearly six months and all of the donkeys contacts at hearts would have been saying it was a defo. The club seems to have made an error that i dont think anyone could have forseen and to be honest no one except vlad and co know exactly what that is.

You state that the has previous for jumping the gun yet seem baffled as to how he managed it this time. Surely if you know he is not one (in your opinion) to be trusted regarding solid rumours why listen? I understand your anger as i know totally where you are coming from but i feel it is unjustified to blame those who tried to keep the fans informed.

Archived