Well done Penicuik High School

Yoda

Well done to Penicuik High School for winning the Scottish Schools, senior football shield (u18) last night.

They beat Notre Dame High School (Greenock) on penalties, at Airdirie's ground.

Good support from the school and the town.  Sam Nicholson (former pupil) was in the crowd.

Wonder if any of the Penicuik players are on Hearts radar?

andyscott82

Great news! :2thumbsup: Wish they'd had a proper football setup when I was there :sob:

Same! It was terrible, verging on non existant after Mr Frame left in the mid 90s!

Valar Morghulis

Same! It was terrible, verging on non existant after Mr Frame left in the mid 90s!

We played on the same team. Mr. Douglas..... :facepalm:  

netherleejambo

Great news!  :2thumbsup: Wish they'd had a proper football setup when I was there  :sob:

Same in the early 70's - cricket, rugby and hockey - no football. Aspirations to compete with the Edinburgh private schools and got humped every time we played them!

As an alumni of Beeslack, I take no pleasure from this achievement.

Nah, excellent stuff.  Well done to the 'Cuik.

Jimmy McNulty

Good on 'em, was a pupil there til '87.

Was there between 1983 and 1989. I'll know you :)

Good to see the win.

Jimmy McNulty

I actually spoke with Mr Frame only a year ago. Sent him an email to find out how he was doing. Very intelligent man and a great coach.

He was in the PHS playing fields coaching every night of the week U13 upwards. Dedicated.

Mr Frame was also my football coach at the school (78-82).  Good guy and total Hearts man.

He was also my history teacher and always happy to talk about the Hearts.

Looking at the programme from the schools game, the competition has been going since 1904 and Penicuik High had never won it.  Things were getting a bit Hibsesque!

The_razors_edge

My old man lives in Penicuik and is ex peni high so he went along to watch. Said a draw was a fair result and it was a shame someone had to lose. What a great way to end your school days though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamboInSouthsea

Was there between 1983 and 1989. I'll know you :)

Good to see the win.

Yeah quite possibly.

On the Mr. Frame front did he not umpire at Wimbledon?

andyscott82

I've tried to blank all thoughts of that tube from my memory!!!

Valar Morghulis

Me too. But every time I see Willie Collum I'm reminded of his goblin-like mug!

Craig Gordons Gloves

Yeah quite possibly.

Yes - he did. 

We left Penicuik before I went to High School but my old man (who was always full of trivia facts) told me this and for some reason it stuck.

As an alumni of Beeslack, I take no pleasure from this achievement.

I concur.....**** them ....and their fancy swimming pool and library......

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mr Douglas the history teacher? He was alright - apart from being a hobo.

Beeslack wasn't even a school. More like a holding pen for Penicuik's mouth-breathers

I concur.....**** them ....and their fancy swimming pool and library......

....and toilet paper.  I  believe they just nip down to the woods at Beeslack. :laugh4:

stirlingshirejambo

Mr Frame was also my football coach at the school (78-82). Good guy and total Hearts man.

He was also my history teacher and always happy to talk about the Hearts.

Looking at the programme from the schools game, the competition has been going since 1904 and Penicuik High had never won it. Things were getting a bit Hibsesque!

he also ran a bus to scotland games

roundabout 1980 I think when I was in 3rd year

Top bloke

Valar Morghulis

Mr Douglas the history teacher? He was alright - apart from being a hobo.

Beeslack wasn't even a school. More like a holding pen for Penicuik's mouth-breathers

Aye, he was decent enough, and it was great of him to step up and take the team when no one else would. But he knew nothing about football. Being a hobo could explain that perhaps.

Edit: Wait...Mr. Douglas was an R.E. teacher was he no? I could be wrong, though.

Jimmy McNulty

Yeah quite possibly.

Yes, first non-Englishman to umpire a Wimbledon final (women's final in 1992?).

Craig Gordons Gloves

I went to Mauricewood Primary until P6 and used to go swimming with the BB's at Peni High.  I remember Beeslack being built as it was a fantastic playground for us Mauricewood kids to try and kill ourselves in. I remember being very disappointed that i wouldn't get to go to Penicuik High if we stayed as i had been looking forward to the fact that it was across the road from the public park so i imagined loads of games of footie on the pitches there at breaks and lunchtimes.

He also did the Tynecastle tours, which I must have went on around 1987/88. A man of many talents John Frame.

andyscott82

Aye, he was decent enough, and it was great of him to step up and take the team when no one else would. But he knew nothing about football. Being a hobo could explain that perhaps.

Edit: Wait...Mr. Douglas was an R.E. teacher was he no? I could be wrong, though.

Nope, you're right, Duggy was an R.E. teacher. Like you say, nobody else fancied taking us but we probably would've been better off organising it ourselves anyway! Had no idea he was a hibby though.

By the way, you are Paul, aren't you?

Valar Morghulis

Nope, you're right, Duggy was an R.E. teacher. Like you say, nobody else fancied taking us but we probably would've been better off organising it ourselves anyway! Had no idea he was a hibby though.

Correct!  :thumbsup:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I was at Peni High in the 90s, I'm sure there was a Mr Douglas who taught history. Him and mr Haire

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I was at Peni High in the 90s, I'm sure there was a Mr Douglas who taught history. Him and mr Haire

Ah, no I'm thinking of Mr McLeish. My mistake. McLeish was a Hobo (but a good bloke it has to be said)

JamboInSouthsea

I went to Mauricewood Primary until P6 and used to go swimming with the BB's at Peni High.  I remember Beeslack being built as it was a fantastic playground for us Mauricewood kids to try and kill ourselves in. I remember being very disappointed that i wouldn't get to go to Penicuik High if we stayed as i had been looking forward to the fact that it was across the road from the public park so i imagined loads of games of footie on the pitches there at breaks and lunchtimes.

Went to Mauricewood too although Beeslack wasn't built until I was a few years into PHS...had the large albino bloke Mr Gorski for p7 teacher.

The head teacher at the time, Mr Smith, was a Hearts fan too...had a pendant up in his office.

JamboInSouthsea

Ah, no I'm thinking of Mr McLeish. My mistake. McLeish was a Hobo (but a good bloke it has to be said)

Had him for 1st yr history...he coached the cricket side...yep decent bloke although the art teacher of the same name was a nob

Indeed. Our 4th year team lasted about 3 games if memory serves. When were you there? I was 1996 - 2002. I was two years below Mr Scott82 above.

Top bloke. Let me away with bloody murder a few times too - including being smashed at one of the end of term dances :)

JamboInSouthsea

Just remembered the first history lesson Mr McLeish gave us...

Once everybody was sat down he said 'Right everybody sitting on the back row come up to the front, you're all getting the belt'!!!

After the initial shock he said he was joking but that is what used to happen when he went to school, the theory being that those who sat up the back were all troublemakers. Cue plenty of nervous laughter from those at the back.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Went to Mauricewood too although Beeslack wasn't built until I was a few years into PHS...had the large albino bloke Mr Gorski for p7 teacher.

The head teacher at the time, Mr Smith, was a Hearts fan too...had a pendant up in his office.

Gorski was a massive man when i was at primary.  You'd have been a few years ahead of me as Smith left/retired and was replaced by Ferguson when i was in P5. 

JamboInSouthsea

Gorski was a massive man when i was at primary.  You'd have been a few years ahead of me as Smith left/retired and was replaced by Ferguson when i was in P5. 

Was that Miss/Mrs Ferguson...had her in p6?

Oddly enough can remember every teacher I had in every year at primary school.

Valar Morghulis

Indeed. Our 4th year team lasted about 3 games if memory serves. When were you there? I was 1996 - 2002. I was two years below Mr Scott82 above.

I finished 6th year in 99. Andy was in my year, but is an 82 birthday.

You would have been in my Hibby brother's year!

I finished 6th year in 99. Andy was in my year, but is an 82 birthday.

You would have been in my Hibby brother's year!

Intriguing, what's your surname?

Munro

Ahh, Ross's big brother I presume? I know you, and your mate Gary - made my 1st year lunchtimes a ******* nightmare ;)

Did you not move to the States a while back?

Valar Morghulis

Ahh, Ross's big brother I presume? I know you, and your mate Gary - made my 1st year lunchtimes a ******* nightmare ;)

Did you not move to the States a while back?

I figured that was you. Yeah, I'm in Atlanta. Gary's in South Carolina and about to move to Charleston. 

JamboInSouthsea

Was that Miss/Mrs Ferguson...had her in p6?

Oddly enough can remember every teacher I had in every year at primary school.

Cancel that, Miss Fraser

he also ran a bus to scotland games

roundabout 1980 I think when I was in 3rd year

Top bloke

Correct, went to at least one game on the bus . Mr Frame was a legend , top bloke as well as a great teacher. The only lesson , I actually looked forward going to ! He once brought back a heap Wimbledon signed programmes for the class  

Jimmy McNulty

Correct, went to at least one game on the bus . Mr Frame was a legend , top bloke as well as a great teacher. The only lesson , I actually looked forward going to ! He once brought back a heap Wimbledon signed programmes for the class  

Fluent in French, and pretty good in at least 2 other languages (IIRC).

Mr Frame got a hard time at school from some of the kids. But when I look back, I realize that he was smarter than pretty much every other teacher there, and there were some lessons I learned that I didn't appreciate until much later. He loved and knew his football (like I said previously, every night he trained with one of the PHS age groups in the park). Oh, and he sang in the Kevock (sp?) choir. Had a fine voice.

For a while, the football teams were co-coached by a Maths teacher, Mr McKinnon, who played for Spartans at the time. Another good bloke, but someone who we only had the benefit of having for a year or so before he took another job elsewhere.

andyscott82

Paul was indeed in my year Trotts, had a left foot that would even make Messi jealous! Was just a shame about some of the other members of our team!

Correct! :thumbsup:

Guessed it was you. How's life going in the States?

Only had Mr Mcleish in 1st and 2nd year, but did have his room as our 5th year common room. Had no idea he was a hibby, he must've hidden it well because he was pretty sound from my reccollection.

Valar Morghulis

Guessed it was you. How's life going in the States?

All's going well, thanks! How about yourself? I'll be over in the summer for a few weeks so maybe catch up over a pint.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Cancel that, Miss Fraser

Ferguson was a guy tha my came from the west. I remember most of my teachers at mauricewood for some mad reason.

Miss Green P1, Mrs Mclachlan P2, Mrs Brash P3, Mrs Rennie P4, can't for the life of me remember P5 and then Miss Duncan in P6 before moving to West Linton. Ferguson was a bit of a prick, Mrs Purves was the head of the younger part of the school when I was there.

andyscott82

All's going well, thanks! How about yourself? I'll be over in the summer for a few weeks so maybe catch up over a pint.

Life's no too shabby at the moment [emoji2] Aye, give me a shout when you're back over, I can definitely be tempted out for a pint!

JamboInSouthsea

Ferguson was a guy tha my came from the west. I remember most of my teachers at mauricewood for some mad reason.

Miss Green P1, Mrs Mclachlan P2, Mrs Brash P3, Mrs Rennie P4, can't for the life of me remember P5 and then Miss Duncan in P6 before moving to West Linton. Ferguson was a bit of a prick, Mrs Purves was the head of the younger part of the school when I was there.

Some my not have been there when you were but..

Miss Lampshire p1, Miss Hendry p2, Mrs Rennie p3, Mr Thompson p4, Miss Hutchison p5, Miss Fraser p6 and Mr Gorski p7.

Yeah Mrs Purves was there too...she seemed to lead the singing, dancing and nativity play sort of stuff.

Archived