Ryan McGowan

alicante jambo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Generic Username

What!?

I seem to recall he was touted for a Scotland place before he got crocked.

Not laughing at you Norm my man. Just some of the solid gold over the last 12 hours.

You're bang on with your Frail chat.

frank skinner

McGowan is a bog standard fullback.

Frail was top drawer and going down south for big bucks-before his knee melted.

Out of guys that (I assume) played over 20 games at right back in the last 10 years or so, I'd say that Jason Thomson, Craig Thomson, Karipidis (good player but never a right back) and the aforementioned ubercunt Hamill were worse.

To be fair, though, in the last ten years probably only Neilson, Maybury and Paterson have played as many games at right back as Gowser did.

That's a fair assessment. I wasn't looking to make my question in to a point, I just thought it was interesting given an earlier question.

To the person earlier who doubted neilson was better than McGowan - despite pissing money up against a wall in vlad's early years we never signed a replacement for robbie. A limited player but effective in the best hearts team any of us are likely to see.

Dave - Malcolm was a bit before my time.

I still say Stevie Frail before he got injured was one of the best right backs I've seen.

Frail strolls on to that list norm. You're absolutely correct that he was a class above hearts until shit hit the fan.

To the person earlier who doubted neilson was better than McGowan - despite pissing money up against a wall in vlad's early years we never signed a replacement for robbie. A limited player but effective in the best hearts team any of us are likely to see.

Dave - Malcolm was a bit before my time.

You've pretty much just described Gowser to be fair. I'd rate them much the similar. Not world beaters and never likely to be the best but if their wages don't break the bank, handy to have round the team.

You've pretty much just described Gowser to be fair. I'd rate them much the similar. Not world beaters and never likely to be the best but if their wages don't break the bank, handy to have round the team.

Limited but effective in a poor team doesn't compare with limited but effective in a team with Jankauskas and Fyssas. But I take your point.

William H. Bonney

I still say Stevie Frail before he got injured was one of the best right backs I've seen.

The best crosser of a ball ive seen at tynecastle.

Limited but effective in a poor team doesn't compare with limited but effective in a team with Jankauskas and Fyssas. But I take your point.

You're probably right thinking about it. When you've got players like that round you, your limitations will stand out more.

Frail was an excellent full back for us. His goal against Aberdeen was something else.

A real sickener when he got injured.

Short memories abound. Like someone said earlier I'd have Ryan at RB anyday before Callum. IMO exactly the sort of player we need (and can possibly afford) in our attempt to re-establish ourselves in the top league. It's not going  to be the stroll in the park some are dreaming it might be.

Very difficult to compare across eras. There is no way half the players mentioned would have played as half as many games for us, if Scottish Football was the way it is now (in terms of comparing it to England and Europe, both financially and standard of football).

Gowser would be an excellent player within this current Hearts team and has, undoubtedly, been our best RB since Robbie Neilson left, by quite a distance.

Captain Canada

Gowser has proved himself at the top level in Scotland. Won't be coming to us though due to the fee involved.

Look to Greece instead.

Captain Canada

Gowser has proved himself at the top level in Scotland. Won't be coming to us though due to the fee involved.

Look to Greece instead.

Spitonastranger

Quite a lot of folk on this thread agree though.

. That's not the point it as a light hearted memory of Gowser start your own thread if you want to rip him instead of immediately looking to attract attention

. That's not the point it as a light hearted memory of Gowser start your own thread if you want to rip him instead of immediately looking to attract attention

Spot on.

Gigolo-Aunt

So on a football forum giving an opinion on an ex player is attracting attention?

Right then

:laugh:

Can you name ten players who've left hearts in the last ten years and their careers have improved?

1. Craig Gordon - EPL + Celtic
  2. Christophe Berra - EPL
  3. Ryan McGowan - Chinese Super League, Cup winner, World Cup
  4. Saulius Mikoli?nas - Ukranian Premier League
  5. Mauricio Pinilla - Serie A + World Cup
  6. Paul Hartley - Celtic, trophy winner, contributor to CL campaigns
  7. Roman Bednar - EPL
  8. Linas Pilibaitis - only played 8 games, so his career was clealry going to get better
  9. Bruno Aguiar - 5 major titles in Cyprus
  10. Jose Goncalves - MLS "Defender of the Year" + Best 11
  11. Ra?s M'Bolhi - Algerian World Cup goalkeeper

• Craig Gordon - EPL + Celtic
  • Christophe Berra - EPL
  • Ryan McGowan - Chinese Super League, Cup winner, World Cup
  • Saulius Mikoli?nas - Ukranian Premier League
  • Mauricio Pinilla - Serie A + World Cup
  • Paul Hartley - Celtic, trophy winner, contributor to CL campaigns
  • Roman Bednar - EPL
  • Linas Pilibaitis - only played 8 games, so his career was clealry going to get better
  • Bruno Aguiar - 5 major titles in Cyprus
  • Jose Goncalves - MLS "Defender of the Year" + Best 11
  • Ra?s M'Bolhi - Algerian World Cup goalkeeper

:yas:

Nookie Bear

• Christophe Berra - EPL
  • Roman Bednar - EPL
  • Linas Pilibaitis - only played 8 games, so his career was clealry going to get better

Martin Petras went on to do pretty well also?

Spitonastranger

So on a football forum giving an opinion on an ex player is attracting attention?

Right then

No on a Saturday thread remembering Gowser for his goal you seek attention by being negative, if you want to discuss his ability as I said start you own thread, anyway you weren't giving an honest opinion you just St went completely negative

:laugh:

This forum would be crammed with threads then:

- I like PLAYER

- I don't like PLAYER

- I thought PLAYER was/is pretty good

- I'm indifferent to PLAYER

- I love the goal PLAYER scored

- I'd like to see PLAYER back at Hearts

- I think we can do better than resigning PLAYER

and so on...

1. Craig Gordon - EPL + Celtic
  2. Christophe Berra - EPL
  3. Ryan McGowan - Chinese Super League, Cup winner, World Cup
  4. Saulius Mikoli?nas - Ukranian Premier League
  5. Mauricio Pinilla - Serie A + World Cup
  6. Paul Hartley - Celtic, trophy winner, contributor to CL campaigns
  7. Roman Bednar - EPL
  8. Linas Pilibaitis - only played 8 games, so his career was clealry going to get better
  9. Bruno Aguiar - 5 major titles in Cyprus
  10. Jose Goncalves - MLS "Defender of the Year" + Best 11
  11. Ra?s M'Bolhi - Algerian World Cup goalkeeper

McGowan, he's at dundee united after playing in China. China may be something to you but it's a ****ing backwater for everyone else.

Pilibitas, by your own admission, had **** all to do with us.

Aguiar - cyprus. ****ing cyprus.

rais m'bohli had less than **** all to do with us.

miko - ukrainian premier league is **** all

bednar was at a club in the epl, and barely played. they were a shit epl club at that, and he only really played when they were relagated. He's debatable at best, and that's not even mentioning his drug sting.

So, we're at about 4 players in a decade. I think my point still stands.

:yas:

You might have a point if he had a point, but he didnt have a point. Atleast he tried, you jumped on the bandwagon of something that's clearly wrong. His was a genuine attempt, whereas you had enough time to actually consider it and agree that playing in cyprus and china is a step up from the hearts team that they left.

Buffalo Bill

You might've swapped Willie Wallace for Pilibaitis on that list ;)

As for Gowser, I like him a lot; good guy, good player and a cult hero with (most) of the fans.

He was no Cafu, but a decent SPL-level defender who gave us a few good memories.

The Iranian national team played against Di Maria, Macherano, Di Maria and Messi.

Means **** all. :lol:

The World Cup argument really is chronic.

Average, limited player who's playing at his level. Very likeable personality. The end.

Gowser is definitely a cult hero.

Regarding his ability, I don't think he's good enough for the English premiership but could certainly do a job for one of the better championship sides.

Ipswich are my "second team" and in the playoffs but nothing special to be honest. He's good enough for a similar level imo. Also the "played at the world cup" on its own is a bit of a pish argument although in fairness I think he played pretty well from what I remember.

Saying he's got a level of affection beyond his ability is fair enough. Describing him as incredibly overrated is ridiculous, unless there's a queue of people suggesting he's Real Madrid level. Which there aren't.

fabienleclerq

Saying he's got a level of affection beyond his ability is fair enough. Describing him as incredibly overrated is ridiculous, unless there's a queue of people suggesting he's Real Madrid level. Which there aren't.

Exactly.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

• Christophe Berra - EPL
  • Roman Bednar - EPL

Only issue I'd take with that is MLS. If Scottish football is an example of what terrible marketing can do, MLS is the opposite. Terrible standard. Top half Premier teams like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd would rip it apart.

OmiyaHearts

I like Ryan and have nothing but fond memories. I don't think he'll succeed at a higher level than the Scottish Premiership.

Generic Username

I still can't remember the good performance Toto had for us. Did we even end up signing him? I remember some bollocks about not knowing who held his registration and in the end he wound up at Morton doing shit all.

Or have I drank so much lager that I've forgotten that we did sign him and he was shit hot?

loveofthegame

As for Gowser, I like him a lot; good guy, good player and a cult hero with (most) of the fans.

He was no Cafu, but a decent SPL-level defender who gave us a few good memories.

This is pretty much how I see it mate.

Folk are entitled to their opinions but I personally prefer to respect a guy who gave us some great times and played 90minutes and scored a goal in the biggest win in our history.

As for his ability, folk should remember that we are Hearts and not Barcelona.

Franco Fascione

Talking of football backwaters. Some people look on Scotland as a footballing backwater.

This is pretty much how I see it mate.

Folk are entitled to their opinions but I personally prefer to respect a guy who gave us some great times and played 90minutes and scored a goal in the biggest win in our history.

As for his ability, folk should remember that we are Hearts and not Barcelona.

Is "respect a guy" a euphemism for 'not give an honest description'? No one is being cruel - why do some people here have such a problem with folk not handing out blanket praise?

• 5 months later...

Don't know if it was mentioned yesterday.

Thought Ryan played well yesterday. Marshalled their defence and without him I think we might have made more openings.

Not sure if he's being playing centre half for them or if new people have put him there. Did well.

I'm with gigalo on this.

A great guy, a competent player. Nothing much more than that.

Much like Robbie, not a world beater but solid and consistent.

I'd have him back if we got the chance (think I may have actually started a thread asking this a while ago)

Marooned In Oz

Don't know if it was mentioned yesterday.

Thought Ryan played well yesterday. Marshalled their defence and without him I think we might have made more openings.

Not sure if he's being playing centre half for them or if new people have put him there. Did well.

He's a better centre half than he is a right back. It's his natural position.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

We just seem to swap cup winners back and forward with Dundee UTD.

I make that:

Pressley

Webster

Neilson

Skacel

Gomis

Buaben

Swanson

McGowan

All Scottish Cup winners who played for both clubs.

As for McGowan, he is by SPFL Premiership standards a very good player. A Scottish Cup winner and goalscorer, a full international, a European competition player and a World Cup experienced player. He is relatively young with a wealth of top experience and a good pedigree. If we sold Paterson, I'd have Gowser back in a heartbeat.

Just don't get the fascination. Very average player imo

him and rest of the dundee united defence delt with are attack reasonably well for the whole game bar a great bit of play from sam and a couple of other wee half chances. Also he is a jambo cult hero a bit like kevin kyle or craig beattie they also werent the best of players but they provided magical moments for us to savor so stop hating and start loving! 

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think some people fail to realise the benefit of playing international and European competitive matches. McGowan looks a better player than when he left us, imo.

Bazzas right boot

He was, such a shame he got broken.

Bazzas right boot

Decent player, cult hero for us.

Knocking back rangers, his banter v hibs, and a cup winning goalscorer.

Playing wise competent, and good at this level, technicaly llimited but effective with bags of energy and passion.

Done well for himself, but probably found his level, a good sPl defender. No shame in that.

kingantti1874

Thought he had a decent game, don't quite get the facilitation with slagging former players .. Gowser was excellent for us - more than good enough then and more than good enough now.. you'd think we were man city the way some go on rather than a middling SPL team..:lol:

Jambof3tornado

Slapping wee Sam in the nuts was literally below the belt though!!

He played well in a very poor united side.

Archived