Ryan McGowan

alicante jambo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robbie Neilson

So has Jorge Claros.

:lol:

I love that argument. How many squads of the 32 would he have got into? Realistically? 

Alan Johnson

:lol:

I love that argument. How many squads of the 32 would he have got into? Realistically? 

IIRC Australia were the lowest ranked team at the tournament, and he went into it as their second choice right back. Playing in a top class tournament doesn't make you a top class player.

Gigolo-Aunt

IIRC Australia were the lowest ranked team at the tournament, and he went into it as their second choice right back. Playing in a top class tournament doesn't make you a top class player.

Absolutely.

Great to have on the CV no doubt but I'm sure there was a thread of the worst players to win the CL the other week.   Some very poor players in the mix for that.

I do have a problem with it yes, he's not over rated.

So despite some people having said he's great, and you saying you think he's good, not great, you don't think he's overrated? 

Now, i'm not usually one for, y'know, logic, but...

Alan Johnson

It means he's good not great.

It definitely doesn't mean that, but bash on.

Your argument seems to just revolve around repeating your opinion as fact without any evidence, while several of us who are disagreeing with you have told you why we think so. Why do you think he's not overrated?

It definitely doesn't mean that, but bash on.

Your argument seems to just revolve around repeating your opinion as fact without any evidence, while several of us who are disagreeing with you have told you why we think so. Why do you think he's not overrated?

Look through the thread, i described him as a good dependable full back, he's played at the world cup, won the Scottish cup with hearts, what more do you want? I'm out.

Would have him in at RB ahead of Paterson every single day of the week.

My mate supports Dundee United and despite the horrible run they have been on since McGowan signed, he absolutely raves about him.

Also, mental how much people on here under-rate players who either have left Hearts, or have never played for Hearts.

Also, mental how much people on here under-rate players who either have left Hearts, or have never played for Hearts.

Can you name ten players who've left hearts in the last ten years and their careers have improved?

Ryan McGowan is a decent enough player, and a good lad, and I like him. I do think we can sign better, though.

Would have him in at RB ahead of Paterson every single day of the week

Totally agree with this, McGowan a far better right back than I think Paterson will ever be. Still can't make up my mind what Patersons best position is but at this moment in his career it's not defending.

fabienleclerq

Maybe the case, but I didn't see any EPL (or even English Championship sides) moving for him when he was available for free a few months ago. Think people look back on him fondly because he seems like a good bloke and liked to wind up Hibs fans. He's a solid enough right back but doesn't offer anywhere near enough going forward to play at a higher level IMO.

I'd have him at CH, he's quick, good in the air and would fit our style of play. He's no Chielini but he's good enough to play in the EPL imo.

Pretty average player bigged up to be better than he is due to being a seemingly good guy with a dislike of Hibs. This appears to resonate with a section of our support.

Can you name ten players who've left hearts in the last ten years and their careers have improved?

I love a quiz..

Berra (played in EPL) Hartley( League & cup winners medals with Celtic), Bednar (EPL with WBA) Gordon (EPL)Cummings, Ali Crawford (Hamiton Ac. Top Prospect) Sutton, Balatoni and Pressley, (see Hartley)

His pass to Cahill at the WC was shite.

No it wasn't. Neither were outstanding goals scored for us against Celtic by Willie Jamison and Austin McCann. Yet neither of those were exactly top players.

A pass in isolation that led to a tremendous goal hardly defines a players talent.

Number of positions? Like attacking midfield?

_64994207_john_mcglynn.jpg

Nope I'd stick with FB, CH or DM don't think I'd have him at AM.

I love a quiz..

Berra (played in EPL) Hartley( League & cup winners medals with Celtic), Bednar (EPL with WBA) Gordon (EPL)Cummings, Ali Crawford (Hamiton Ac. Top Prospect) Sutton, Balatoni and Pressley, (see Hartley)

Berra, Hartley and Gordon, i'll give you.

Bednar is a maybe, troubles aside, he only really played much when WBA were especially shite.

Cummings is playing at a team demonstrably worse than hearts. Ali Crawford, top prospect aside, no. Sutton, no. Balatoni, no. Pressley's career was on a downward trajectory and only continued that way.

My point being, there are lots of players at hearts (many of whom don't even seem to get a regular game) who lots of our fans think are world beaters. In fact of all of the dozens of players who come and go every year less than a handful go on to play at a higher level. So, what's more likely - that all these players are only that good in maroon, or that some of our fans are a bit romantic in their estimation of certain players abilities?

Remember Walter Kidd not much talent but a very big heart and a very good full back

theres always a place for players like that in a good team.

You need a couple of players who can put themselves about a bit, dig in when it's needed and show confidence by example when others are maybe waning.

theres always a place for players like that in a good team.

You need a couple of players who can put themselves about a bit, dig in when it's needed and show confidence by example when others are maybe waning.

3958321742.jpg

i wish jj was my dad

It might be difficult to identify any more than two or three better right backs at Hearts in the past 20-30 years.

I'm really pleased that he took the opportunity to broaden his horizons in China rather than joining the Govan circus.  That's not considered the done thing in some quarters and it was a good bit of business for Utd to get him for nowt when he left China. 

It might be difficult to identify any more than two or three better right backs at Hearts in the past 20-30 years.

I'm really pleased that he took the opportunity to broaden his horizons in China rather than joining the Govan circus.  That's not considered the done thing in some quarters and it was a good bit of business for Utd to get him for nowt when he left China. 

Neilson, Flogel, Kidd, Locke, McPherson, Weir, McLaren all right off the top of my head.

Can you name many that played more than a dozen games who were clearly worse?

Nookie Bear

I'm really pleased that he took the opportunity to broaden his horizons in China rather than joining the Govan circus. That's not considered the done thing in some quarters and it was a good bit of business for Utd to get him for nowt when he left China.

Frail

Locke

Neilson

Kidd

There's four right books who are as good, or better, right backs than Ryan.

Ryan is a good player, great attitude and loves this club. That counts for a lot in my book.

I love a quiz..

Jason Holt.

Nookie Bear

Neilson, Flogel, Kidd, Locke, McPherson, Weir, McLaren all right off the top of my head.

Forgot about McLaren

Flogel was poor at right back - not his fault - ans i preferred Mcpherson and Weir the centre

Forgot about McLaren

Flogel was poor at right back - not his fault - ans i preferred Mcpherson and Weir the centre

Flogel, sure. McPherson and Weir were both better in the middle, but easily both were better than McGowan at right back, I forgot about frail. Christ, Rab McKinnon, looking at this dispassionately, was probably a better player than ryan.

I'm really struggling to answer my own question. Is there a right back who's played more than 20 games for the club at right back who was clearly worse than ryan mcgowan?

Jason Holt.

English third division, nope. Also, hasn't left hearts.

Nookie Bear

Flogel, sure. McPherson and Weir were both better in the middle, but easily both were better than McGowan at right back, I forgot about frail. Christ, Rab McKinnon, looking at this dispassionately, was probably a better player than ryan.

I'm really struggling to answer my own question. Is there a right back who's played more than 20 games for the club at right back who was clearly worse than ryan mcgowan?

English third division, nope. Also, hasn't left hearts.

Ryan is by no means the worst but we have had a number of right backs of similar ability and I would put him on a par with most. He is also a more modern right back in an attacking sense.

The thing that gives him the respect is his huge and vocal love for the club...similar to what Locke has (had!) in a way.

Ryan is by no means the worst but we have had a number of right backs of similar ability and I would put him on a par with most. He is also a more modern right back in an attacking sense.

The thing that gives him the respect is his huge and vocal love for the club...similar to what Locke has (had!) in a way.

I don't think he's the worst either. Not by a long shot. But with others being far worse (tiago costa?) they'd never get to play that many games, so i dismissed them as anomalies. So, i was wondering, given the initial question (which was both loaded and backfired when answered properly)who played as much at right back who was clearly a worse player.

Look through the thread, i described him as a good dependable full back, he's played at the world cup, won the Scottish cup with hearts, what more do you want? I'm out.

I'm sure he scored the winner in the Chinese cup final as well. Good servant to the club ,whatever folk think of him.

Nookie Bear

I don't think he's the worst either. Not by a long shot. But with others being far worse (tiago costa?) they'd never get to play that many games, so i dismissed them as anomalies. So, i was wondering, given the initial question (which was both loaded and backfired when answered properly)who played as much at right back who was clearly a worse player.

I genuinely wouldn't know where to place Ryan in our list of right backs. Not the worst, not the best, good coming forward but maybe suspect defensively.

Our left backs are traditionally better!

If you're in a fish & chip shop and your haddock in batter is a bit Messi, Ryan McGowan is a pickled gherkin.

davemclaren

Malcom Murray?

Alan Johnson

Out of guys that (I assume) played over 20 games at right back in the last 10 years or so, I'd say that Jason Thomson, Craig Thomson, Karipidis (good player but never a right back) and the aforementioned ubercunt Hamill were worse. 

To be fair, though, in the last ten years probably only Neilson, Maybury and Paterson have played as many games at right back as Gowser did.

Nookie Bear

Neilson better than McGowan? :cornette:

Not a chance.

In what way is that so ridiculous?

Neilson rarely let us down.

I still say Stevie Frail before he got injured was one of the best right backs I've seen.

Archived