Victory Shield (NHC)

hmfc4life1991

Seymour M Hersh

The Football Association has announced England will no longer compete in the Victory Shield, the long-running under-16 event between the home nations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32405981

Wonder if the Republic of Ireland might get involved to keep it a 4 team tournament.

Smacks of the usual FA arrogance doesn't it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sounds exactly what England and Scotland did to the Home Internationals. Arrogant pricks!

hmfc4life1991

Have they given reasons why the reached this decision?

Well this is what is said in the article:

It's important to prioritise exposing them to European and world opposition."

The FA said the decision "ensures consistency with a key element of the England DNA."

The statement added: "Although we recognise the historic interest in these matches, we are intent on maximising the football learning of our young players, while forming the programme of fixtures for the year around the crucial academic commitments our players face at this age group."

Say What Again

An FA statement said: "It's important to prioritise exposing them to European and world opposition."

The FA said the decision "ensures consistency with a key element of the England DNA."

The statement added: "Although we recognise the historic interest in these matches, we are intent on maximising the football learning of our young players, while forming the programme of fixtures for the year around the crucial academic commitments our players face at this age group."

Robbie Neilson

Obviously this has been whats holding them back from be able to compete with the big boys in major tournaments :rolleyes: 

Footballfirst

Clearly their failure to with the Victory Shield for the last couple of seasons has got them looking for alternative opposition to save them from further embarrassment.

yep - don't like getting beat

I'm a big fan of widening horizons but lets just see if that helps England (it won't)

there's certain things that are just the right thing to do and being kind to your neighbours is one

ironically with developments in Scottish football at national and club level, playing Scottish teams might just be one of the better options

N Lincs Jambo

Suppose it would be churlish to remind them that the only time they ever won anything (ie 66) they warmed up by having 3 pretty competitive internationals against N Ireland, Wales and Scotland....

Jambof3tornado

Clearly their failure to with the Victory Shield for the last couple of seasons has got them looking for alternative opposition to save them from further embarrassment.

This is where its at.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Totally agree. I really, really miss the Home Internationals. Didn't England and Scotland try to revive their regular fixture with the Rous Cup a while ago?

The Rous Cup succeeded the Home Internationals. England and Scotland thought that playing Colombia in the 1980s was more beneficial. I think we can safely say that it was the Rous Cup that was the catalyst to that semi-final run in 1990. :rolleyes:

N Lincs Jambo

Totally agree. I really, really miss the Home Internationals. Didn't England and Scotland try to revive their regular fixture with the Rous Cup a while ago?

Scotland and England competed in the Rous Cup for 5-6 years after the last Home International Championship inviting teams from further afield to compete. Interest went down dramatically though - in 89 I went golfing the day we played England at Hampden in the Rous as I thought the course would be empty. Silly me, it was packed as no-one else gave a toss either. Previously I would never have missed that game, would either have been there or at the very least watching on tv.

It's another example of the arrogance of the English game

Looking after number one with no thought for others or even a piece of history.

The utter tosh re 'worldwide opposition' shows just where they truly think they should be on the world stage......given they often play two different teams anyway in this competiotion it really beggars belief we are meant to swallow this nonsense.

N Lincs Jambo

But how could the fixture have diminished from such a massive game in the 70s to the irrelevance it became in the 80s? Why was it allowed to happen - it's the oldest international fixture in world sport, for goodness sake! Sorry to take this off topic a bit with my rant, but the arrogance and incompetence of the football authorities makes my blood boil sometimes.

You summed it up m8 - arrogance and incompetence - unfortunately  we as Scots were complicit in this by rating Wales and Norn Iron as not being worth bothering with. Once the context of the game went, ie being Home Nations Champions, no-one really gave a toss as they knew the game was up.

I'm sure they have, but when it comes down to it, they were not happy at all at the other home nations' rejection of Team GB for Rio. I would imagine that this decision is in good portion as a result of that. 21 days after the announcement that they had been forced to drop plans for Team GB after forceful opposition from the other home nations - just enough time elapsed to make their point while trying not to look blatantly childish (but not succeeding in doing so).

King Of The Cat Cafe

I wonder if this decision is another outworking of the increasing antipathy that some top clubs in Europe have for international football.

Is this the same FA who don't even make their best U21 players play in the major U21 Championships (on the European/World stage) ? Couldn't make it up.

disgruntledfan

Whats the chances that Sky drop their live coverage of the games now that England has pulled out.

Archived