Timid.

Debut 4

Very very timid...... They often say a team is the mirror image of the manager and if it is we don't have a team of players with the constitution for big matches.

Forget beating a league full of part timers to the title . Look at players hacking at balls while in time and space, players not moving or bursting a gut for their team mate on or off the ball bar maybe one or two.

No willingness to anticipate the ball , sweat blood to beat Hibs players to the ball or get behind full backs. Absolute disgrace and there's no excuse I'm afraid but carry on and make excuses.

Hearts don't seem to have the basics against stronger, more energetic teams.

But I'm sure there'll be a few out there who still think it's only about passing the ball......

Very very timid...... They often say a team is the mirror image of the manager and if it is we don't have a team of players with the constitution for big matches.

Forget beating a league full of part timers to the title . Look at players hacking at balls while in time and space, players not moving or bursting a gut for their team mate on or off the ball bar maybe one or two.

No willingness to anticipate the ball , sweat blood to beat Hibs players to the ball or get behind full backs. Absolute disgrace and there's no excuse I'm afraid but carry on and make excuses.

But I'm sure there'll be a few out there who still think it's only about passing the ball......

Exactly.

Spot on! The passing games just one aspect. Need to close down space a lot quicker and fight to get the ball back more. Also today there were a few times if we played the quick pass we were away but 2 or 3 touches instead.

Francis Albert

I am tempted to compare our gutless, pathetic performance (again) to that of Crystal Palace's relative journeymen against the multi-millionaire superstars of Manchester City last week. But that seems to upset some people for some reason, so I won't!

wattie exploited

was hardly any fight in the team need a bit more fight when we aint got the ball ! :rifle:

gowestjambo

Spot on assessment, it is starting to look like we are not as good as we think! (or how good our Manager really is!)

Spot on, players have to work hard and win their individual battles.

I fear you will be labelled as a 'football dinosaur' though

Spot on assessment, it is starting to look like we are not as good as we think! (or how good our Manager really is!)

My thinking exactly although I put the blame on the players as I thought we had to play 3 5 2 after previous games against them and how Mcall found them out last week.

when the teams are of a similar standard you have to win the battle first. The first two games of the season we matched both rangers and hibs in the fight then the football happened as a result. The other games we haven't turned up for the battle nevermind winning it

davemclaren

Robbie built a team well suited to winning the Championship. His next challenge is to build a team capable of doing well in the Premiership.

Said on Friday that Hearts team this year has no passion of old against Hbs. We used to bully them, intimidate them etc.... Not this season. We seem to one paced, no real desire etc...

Joked about Lockey getting to do the team talk but honestly I have never known a Hearts team so toothless against Hibs over a season.

I'm honestly not convinced about Neilson in the big games, changes are baffling at times and we struggle to force the issue when needed.

Spot on, players have to work hard and win their individual battles.

I fear you will be labelled as a 'football dinosaur' though

haha, true bud but they are people who really don't understand competitive sport in all honesty.

You get sick of saying it but first and foremost must come fighting spirit, a focus to give your all on and off the ball. Puting yourself on the line physically.

Some guys on here must never have played at any level and watch la liga thinking it's easy peasy.

The best players are physical but some just don't notice it but we have average players who think they are superstars and think they don't have to cover ground.

JamboGraham

Robbie built a team well suited to winning the Championship. His next challenge is to build a team capable of doing well in the Premiership.

Agreed...I am desperately dissapointed to lose this afternoon but I am not sure we can make many conclusions based on performances after the title has been won.

The objective of the season has been achieved with ease and I am confident that the whole management team will learn from performances like today (and last week at Ibrox).

The thing is every time iv heard Robbie speak he comes across as quiet, almost timid. I wish he would lose his shit sometimes. Is cool, calm and collected the correct way? I wish he would go radge sometimes and kick them up the arse cos that's what they're needing.

Francis Albert

Agreed...I am desperately dissapointed to lose this afternoon but I am not sure we can make many conclusions based on performances after the title has been won.

The objective of the season has been achieved with ease and I am confident that the whole management team will learn from performances like today (and last week at Ibrox).

Unfortunately we have to look also at performances against Hibs (in particular) and Rangers before the title was won.

Passing game without movement off the ball doesn't work - we probably passed to the opposition more in the first half than our own players.

I remember Dundee Utd, past their halycon days but still under the pugilist trying to play a passing, possession game. And they did, looked good at it, totally dominated for good percentages of matches. But they rarely had an end game and if you put them under pressure - pressing, harrying, forcing set-pieces, they usually wilted.

If we want to play a possession based game we need a couple of players who look up before passing, who have the guile and confidence to take the touch if it's needed to give them space to make a pass. It's not a fault that is unique to us or even the SPL - the number of speculative punts that roll out for a goal kick to through to the keeper can be maddening.

And as for set-pieces, these need looking at as well - even on an off day these can put you right back in the mix and we rarely hit a good dead ball this afternoon.

Overall though I'm still impressed that we have played our way out of this league with some verve at times. I expected a horrible fight each week but it didn't turn out like that at all.

Onwards and upwards.

The thing is every time iv heard Robbie speak he comes across as quiet, almost timid. I wish he would lose his shit sometimes. Is cool, calm and collected the correct way? I wish he would go radge sometimes and kick them up the arse cos that's what they're needing.

i know, at half time was he telling them. " keep calm, keep trying to play , it'll come"? ...... We hadn't even started playing. No energy, urgency or basic focus on how we should resemble a football team.

No amount of average stats from pro zone, over elaborate tactics or a this is your life style book a sub has to scan was going to change the game.

Zeefuik was told to "warm up, yer coming off". I heard.....

The simple fat is any team and I mean any team in the division would have given Hibs a better game today we were absolutely gutless... this is not knee jerk it is fact we were crap end of! And you have to look at the manager not one of those players in a hearts jersey looks as though they knew what they were meant to be doing!

Passing game without movement off the ball doesn't work - we probably passed to the opposition more in the first half than our own players.

I remember Dundee Utd, past their halycon days but still under the pugilist trying to play a passing, possession game. And they did, looked good at it, totally dominated for good percentages of matches. But they rarely had an end game and if you put them under pressure - pressing, harrying, forcing set-pieces, they usually wilted.

If we want to play a possession based game we need a couple of players who look up before passing, who have the guile and confidence to take the touch if it's needed to give them space to make a pass. It's not a fault that is unique to us or even the SPL - the number of speculative punts that roll out for a goal kick to through to the keeper can be maddening.

And as for set-pieces, these need looking at as well - even on an off day these can put you right back in the mix and we rarely hit a good dead ball this afternoon.

Overall though I'm still impressed that we have played our way out of this league with some verve at times. I expected a horrible fight each week but it didn't turn out like that at all.

Onwards and upwards.

its what I fear we'll become unless we fine tune our play in the last third......a pretty wee passing team.

Up til now we've obviously had the end product, we've had cutting edge and goals but it'll be harder next season.

I'm all for trying to control a game but the minute we lose the ability to create chances or get behind teams then I'd rather be route one.

Pass to create and score, not pass to look good.

Craig Herbertson

Replace 'timid' with intelligent, methodical, organised, assured and progressive. Robbie is learning his trade and the entire strategy of HMFC is being rebuilt from scratch - we are now a development club with the emphasis on building for the future. We won the league by a country mile - won it so quickly that most people don't know what to do next. The whole system is changing from the do or die mentality of the past to something like the European model. the intention it seems is to get this club into the highest bracket it can achieve given the size of the fan base and the potential of the city. A little passion might be lost some days and some days will go like today. It's annoying but then so is a fly on your windscreen.

Next year we will be competing in the top level in Scottish football again and with a bit of this timidity we may well be off to Europe the following year.

Hibs had a good day and were better than us today. But they were not better than us this year as the table positions demonstrate and their club has a grueling few weeks ahead while Robbie has his feet on the desk and sorts out the squad for next season.

Would have liked a better performance but not goimg to let it spoil the day.

Replace 'timid' with intelligent, methodical, organised, assured and progressive. Robbie is learning his trade and the entire strategy of HMFC is being rebuilt from scratch - we are now a development club with the emphasis on building for the future. We won the league by a country mile - won it so quickly that most people don't know what to do next. The whole system is changing from the do or die mentality of the past to something like the European model. the intention it seems is to get this club into the highest bracket it can achieve given the size of the fan base and the potential of the city. A little passion might be lost some days and some days will go like today. It's annoying but then so is a fly on your windscreen.

Next year we will be competing in the top level in Scottish football again and with a bit of this timidity we may well be off to Europe the following year.

Hibs had a good day and were better than us today. But they were not better than us this year as the table positions demonstrate and their club has a grueling few weeks ahead while Robbie has his feet on the desk and sorts out the squad for next season.

think your going off in a different angle here.

The fundamentals of football will never change no matter how much you want to dress things up. So, you reckon we should give nice, wee, "timid" players a chance to become players for HMFC just because it's about passing and keeping the ball only? So, It's not about being rugged, still defending properly, being physical and clever at the same time , wanting to win more while still wanting to improve?

I want strong characters who want to improve , not passengers.

JamboGraham

Unfortunately we have to look also at performances against Hibs (in particular) and Rangers before the title was won.

Undefeated in five games, 11 points out of 15.

I am satisfied with that.

yip nail on the head here ..... No desire passion commitment ..... Hang on I am sounding like Hansen

Said on Friday that Hearts team this year has no passion of old against Hbs. We used to bully them, intimidate them etc.... Not this season. We seem to one paced, no real desire etc...

Joked about Lockey getting to do the team talk but honestly I have never known a Hearts team so toothless against Hibs over a season.

I'm honestly not convinced about Neilson in the big games, changes are baffling at times and we struggle to force the issue when needed.

time will tell but I reckon they will sort it out for next season

There are 4 Hearts players who can take any kind of credit from that game. Walker, Ozturk, Alexander and Sow, and none of them were great, just passable in terms of effort.

Everyone one else ranged from posted missing, through unprofessional and down as far as shameful in the case of our captain.

In general, that was the performance of a team so unprofessional in their attitude that they visibly didn't really give much of a toss if they won or lost, resulting in the inevitable loss.

Next season we will be playing better teams than Hibs week in, week out. I dread to think what an Aberdeen or a Dundee Utd or a Celtic will do to a team with such fragile commitment and who caved in so easily and willingly

Robbie Neilson can't be too harshly criticised just yet. He is still well in the black as regards bonus points with the fans. But that performance has to be completely ruled out as far as repetition and acceptability are concerned. I hope he arrived at some conclusions on some players after today, Wilson in particular. Where the **** is his head at because it sure isn't at Hearts.

There are 4 Hearts players who can take any kind of credit from that game. Walker, Ozturk, Alexander and Sow, and none of them were great, just passable in terms of effort.

Everyone one else ranged from posted missing, through unprofessional and down as far as shameful in the case of our captain.

In general, that was the performance of a team so unprofessional in their attitude that they visibly didn't really give much of a toss if they won or lost, resulting in the inevitable loss.

Next season we will be playing better teams than Hibs week in, week out. I dread to think what an Aberdeen or a Dundee Utd or a Celtic will do to a team with such fragile commitment and who caved in so easily and willingly

Robbie Neilson can't be too harshly criticised just yet. He is still well in the black as regards bonus points with the fans. But that performance has to be completely ruled out as far as repetition and acceptability are concerned. I hope he arrived at some conclusions on some players after today, Wilson in particular. Where the **** is his head at because it sure isn't at Hearts.

as the dust settles maybe Neilson will have used the last week as a gauge to who he thinks has the right attitude and application for the future?

We can talk all day about our strategy to improve and impose a style, improve the ability of players but for it to be a success we need driven individuals.

Neilson himself said as much after the Rangers game. We need people with huge self motivation and pride even before a manager gets to them.

as the dust settles maybe Neilson will have used the last week as a gauge to who he thinks has the right attitude and application for the future?

We can talk all day about our strategy to improve and impose a style, improve the ability of players but for it to be a success we need driven individuals.

Neilson himself said as much after the Rangers game. We need people with huge self motivation and pride even before a manager gets to them.

Very much this. And I think he's going to dismantle this squad before July.

Nowt but wishful thinking here.

The Treasurer

You mean the 5 matches that we won 3 and drew 2.

I'm sure even the great 2014/15 Crystal Palace side would be happy with those figures against the strongest teams in their league

Francis Albert

You mean the 5 matches that we won 3 and drew 2.

I'm sure even the great 2014/15 Crystal Palace side would be happy with those figures against the strongest teams in their league

Yes those are the performances I am referring to. In none of those games did our performance reflect in any way the huge gulf in quality that the league table shows (and showed even more before we went on holiday).

The Treasurer

Yes those are the performances I am referring to. In none of those games did our performance reflect in any way the huge gulf in quality that the league table shows (and showed even more before we went on holiday).

Personally I'm more concerned about the RESULTS in these important games, rather than the PERFORMANCE.

Losing while playing well is something I'd prefer to leave to h1b5

kingantti1874

Personally I'm more concerned about the RESULTS in these important games, rather than the PERFORMANCE.

Losing while playing well is something I'd prefer to leave to h1b5

The problem is we were very lucky in those fixtures, its surely a concern to everyone that we have been on the back foot in at least 6 out of the7 games...

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Fantastic post, puts things in perspective. I'd take a long term view of things over typical football fans "win at all costs" derby short-termism.

The Treasurer

The problem is we were very lucky in those fixtures, its surely a concern to everyone that we have been on the back foot in at least 6 out of the7 games...

Ok. My memory isn't what it once was but..

2-1 at Ibrox - played well and showed great character to come back after losing a last minute goal.

2-1 first derby - well on top for most of the game and took a deserved lead with a great finish.

2-0 v sevco - started slowly but once they (rightly) went down to 10 men we dominated and could/should have scored more.

1-1 at fester - struggled to get going but stuck to the task and were rewarded with a great strike right at the end.

1-1 new year derby - probably the closest match between us and the other so-called "top" teams but could have won despite not being at our best.

So that just leaves the last two matches when we have admittedly been poor, but both matches were played AFTER we had achieved our main goal of winning the league.

So we managed to take 11 points from a possible 15 when it mattered despite never playing as well as we have in other games. Hardly say that was "lucky"

2-1 at Ibrox - played well and showed great character to come back after losing a last minute goal.

2-1 first derby - well on top for most of the game and took a deserved lead with a great finish.

2-0 v sevco - started slowly but once they (rightly) went down to 10 men we dominated and could/should have scored more.

1-1 at fester - struggled to get going but stuck to the task and were rewarded with a great strike right at the end.

1-1 new year derby - probably the closest match between us and the other so-called "top" teams but could have won despite not being at our best.

So that just leaves the last two matches when we have admittedly been poor, but both matches were played AFTER we had achieved our main goal of winning the league.

So we managed to take 11 points from a possible 15 when it mattered despite never playing as well as we have in other games. Hardly say that was "lucky"

i agree, some fans are a bit ott with their analysis of these matches.

I wanted Hearts to play far better in the derbies , of course we all did, but to say Hibs were wholly the better team in the first 3 is wrong.

We undoubtedly deserved to win the first one, the 2nd and 3rd were a tale of two halves but I know by our standards we still didn't play great.

Hibs have improved and gave us a harder set of games this season. That's just a reality but it'll help us raise the bar now ourselves.

And we thoroughly deserved our win at Ibrox. Should have been 2 up before their equaliser.

Craig Herbertson

think your going off in a different angle here.

The fundamentals of football will never change no matter how much you want to dress things up. So, you reckon we should give nice, wee, "timid" players a chance to become players for HMFC just because it's about passing and keeping the ball only? So, It's not about being rugged, still defending properly, being physical and clever at the same time , wanting to win more while still wanting to improve?

I want strong characters who want to improve , not passengers.

I agree. Generally isn't that what we have?

For how many years have guts, brawn and athleticism failed us in the end? So we're trying something different. Bound to be setbacks but we've seem consistency when it mattered. Time to get with the programme people...

For how many years have guts, brawn and athleticism failed us in the end? So we're trying something different. Bound to be setbacks but we've seem consistency when it mattered. Time to get with the programme people...

big, physical team? ;)

If in the next few years we develop a team as good as the ones in 86, 98 and 06 I'll tip my hat. I hope we do by the way, I'm not saying that because I doubt it can happen but it will take a great effort.

MacDonald Jardine

If "the programme" involves bending over for Hibs, count me out.

kingantti1874

you actually require both to succeed, in big games you need to win the fight first...

To be honest the best way to describe yesterday was "very hibs" esque

upgotheheads

I can't believe this thread, with a few exceptions. We won the league about 3 weeks ago at a canter, our goal difference tells all you need to know.

Timid!

FFS!

kingantti1874

I can't believe this thread, with a few exceptions. We won the league about 3 weeks ago at a canter, our goal difference tells all you need to know.

Timid!

FFS!

True, but it's also true we haven't dominated a game against hibs or Rangers all season, we could easily have lost all of them if luck had gone against us.. I'm not sure why stating this is controversial or why we would be exempt from criticism.

Teuchterjambo

I am sure Robbie has this vision of playing silky football which is actually very easy to do when you are playing with more skillful players than the opposition all over the park. The issue here is that we have all been sucked in to believing what we have seen against the Alloa's of this world (no disrespect to Alloa btw) is the way it is going to be and we have conned ourselves into believing that we are better than we are.

This is Scottish football and even at the higher level the mantra is close down space, do not give anyone the chance to turn and squeeze the game and we do not have the quality of players to play the way we are at the higher level. It seems like the players have been conned in the same way. i would suggest that one reason for the difference in Calum Paterson's performance this season is that the style does not suit him , a return to the rough and tumble of the Premier League will see him blossom, the same way he did last season

Building a team for next season will require a fair few players and a change of direction ... not nice to think about that as it has been great to watch most of the time but that is the reality ... perhaps Robbie knows that ... I hope so.

Timid!

FFS!

think you need to come out the red mist and pay attention. I was talking about yesterday's match performance.

Bazzas right boot

2-1 Gers, pretty even and we senaked it, good stuff.

Firsrt derby- they missed a PK at 0-0, the game was even, we were not on top most of the game, it was even.

2-0 Sevco, looked very  ropey until the red card

1-1 at Fester, they were better but didn't threaten much and when we went down to 10, they struggled

1-1 NY, even game.

1-2 Gers, could have been 3/4 but the red card saved us

0-2 Hibs, no corners no shots on target first half, nuff said.

Undefeated in five games, 11 points out of 15.

I am satisfied with that.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a poor argument though mate. We were lucky in the two draws against Hibs, apparently.

I'd say the only game we weren't really much cop at, prior to the title being won was the Ozturk game at ER.

kingantti1874

Don't let the facts get in the way of a poor argument though mate. We were lucky in the two draws against Hibs, apparently.

I'd say the only game we weren't really much cop at, prior to the title being won was the Ozturk game at ER.

We were shite against rangers at tynecastke until they went to 10.. Absolutely dire in fact, the 2nd tynie Derby was 50:50 being very optimistic.

Archived