Dear Mr Lawwell...

jamboinglasgow

michael_bolton

I don't understand why people are angry. He works for Celtic and it is clearly in Celtic's financial interest to get out of Scottish football. He's doing his job, why get upset about it?

Of course the Old Firm do down Scottish football at every opportunity. It suits their long term plan.Would you realistically expect them to act in any other way?

Eventually, they will get their wish. They'll leave to play in some daft league set up based on tv revenue and little else. No nonsense like promotion or relegation (except perhaps in a small, closed-shop kind of way). Sooner or later that'll happen. It's the logical conclusion of events like regular live tv, The Champions League (spit), the Premier League (spit) and every other pro-tv move that football has made in the last few decades.

As soon as football let the tv get a foot in the door, it was finished as the sport it used to be. It has no future at the top level other than a horrible corporate one (think the Premier League on coke).

Basically, they can ram it.

If you've got a Sky or BY Sports subscription, you're just encouraging them.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
boabyarsebiscuit

There will never be a "North Atlantic League" or whatever pish Celtic want to call it. The Eredivisie is a competitive and well attended League, and whilst financially not on a par with some of the bigger Leagues, the clubs Celtic are looking at as opposition don't need to play in some supra national third division crock of shit. Benfica, Sporting and Porto have no desire to leave their own League where they do very well financially. Who the **** would want to pay to watch Celtic, maybe some Belgian teams, and perhaps the Scandies on TV? ****ing idiotic, and it really says something if the "powers that be" think this is anything like a good idea. Totally bonklers. And Celtic really are self-denying filth, the lowest of the low, the scummiest club in World football.

michael_bolton

There will never be a "North Atlantic League" or whatever pish Celtic want to call it. The Eredivisie is a competitive and well attended League, and whilst financially not on a par with some of the bigger Leagues, the clubs Celtic are looking at as opposition don't need to play in some supra national third division crock of shit. Benfica, Sporting and Porto have no desire to leave their own League where they do very well financially. Who the **** would want to pay to watch Celtic, maybe some Belgian teams, and perhaps the Scandies on TV? ******* idiotic, and it really says something if the "powers that be" think this is anything like a good idea. Totally bonklers. And Celtic really are self-denying filth, the lowest of the low, the scummiest club in World football.

What's totally bonkers is to assume that clubs like Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Feyenoord etc are not going to want a change in the set up.

Open your eyes.

These clubs have been left behind simply through geography and they will find a way to make it work.

As much as anything else, the tv will eventually demand it.

doctor jambo

Ironically, he is spouting about wanting out when the leagues are all the most competitive they have been for 20 years.

He wants competition- he has it - Celtic are losing and drawing regularly

rangers cannot buy a win (and they have really tried!) never mind promotion

the disparity in crowds between top and bottom of the SPL is smaller than it has been for decades

Lets face it - he's not happy precisely because he HAS competition

BUdge - release a statement about how WE have no competition please

michael_bolton

Ironically, he is spouting about wanting out when the leagues are all the most competitive they have been for 20 years.

He wants competition- he has it - Celtic are losing and drawing regularly

rangers cannot buy a win (and they have really tried!) never mind promotion

the disparity in crowds between top and bottom of the SPL is smaller than it has been for decades

Lets face it - he's not happy precisely because he HAS competition

BUdge - release a statement about how WE have no competition please

The level of competition is totally irrelevant to what he's saying.

Celtic will make more money elsewhere. He is paid to make sure Celtic make money.

boabyarsebiscuit

What's totally bonkers is to assume that clubs like Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Feyenoord etc are not going to want a change in the set up.

Open your eyes.

These clubs have been left behind simply through geography and they will find a way to make it work.

As much as anything else, the tv will eventually demand it.

The Dutch and Portuguese clubs make money in their current setup. They don't do it all through TV deals though - not every league is the Barclays Prem.

Ajax and Porto for example develop talent, and make millions selling it on. Benfica are a worldwide brand, and run their own TV Channel which has exclusive rights to show Barclays prem games in Portugal.

No Portuguese or Dutch teams need the Celtic filth. Maybe if you went to games in the Netherlands or Portugal, you'd know this.

18Jambo_dave74

Agree with those asking why the SFA do not consider this (and all other Lawwell comments about leaving Scottish football) as bringing the game in to disrepute? Absolutely ridiculous that someone in his position is allowed to constantly make these comments. If it was Romanov that made these comments...?

Whilst in this instance Lawwell is talking about joining some European League, the arrogance of Celtic and Rangers in the past at thinking that they are perfectly entitled to walk straight in to the English Premiership never ceased to amaze me.

It's all just getting a bit boring now.

Francis Albert

The level of competition is totally irrelevant to what he's saying.

Celtic will make more money elsewhere. He is paid to make sure Celtic make money.

Which neatly sums up what football has become. I have no interest in how much money Hearts make - as long as they can pay their bills.

I'd rather we were playing in a competitive Scottish league, competing for and from time time winning major Scottish trophies and having fairly regular forays into Europe than be a mid table English second tier club.

I suspect if Celtic's dreams are ever realised their fans won't relish becoming a mid table or lower side, or playing in the second tier of an elite league. Experience shows OF fans demand winning and are prone to walk away sharpish if they don't get what they want.

It is also true that the riches of TV and sponsorship money are a bit illusory. Sure you make more money but you also have to spend a helluva lot more. See the debts of some of the "richest" European clubs.

michael_bolton

The Dutch and Portuguese clubs make money in their current setup. They don't do it all through TV deals though - not every league is the Barclays Prem.

Ajax and Porto for example develop talent, and make millions selling it on. Benfica are a worldwide brand, and run their own TV Channel which has exclusive rights to show Barclays prem games in Portugal.

No Portuguese or Dutch teams need the Celtic filth. Maybe if you went to games in the Netherlands or Portugal, you'd know this.

You are totally missing the point.

When these clubs decide they will make more money in a different set up, playing against other big clubs on telly all the time, then that's what they'll do. They exist to make money.

Your point about creating talent and selling it on is simply hee haw to do with this discussion.

You don't have to patronise me by telling me how big these clubs are. That is precisely the point. However, to say that Benfica are a worldwide brand is pushing it a bit. I live in Asia. Nobody knows much about them here. They're never on tv (unless playing a bigger team in the CL), they have no publicity presence, they don't feature in any kind of football coverage. They'll see a chance to change that. When clubs become that big, they outgrow their market. They'll leave to make that brand even bigger.

boabyarsebiscuit

When these clubs decide they will make more money in a different set up, playing against other big clubs on telly all the time, then that's what they'll do. They exist to make money.

Your point about creating talent and selling it on is simply hee haw to do with this discussion.

You don't have to patronise me by telling me how big these clubs are. That is precisely the point. However, to say that Benfica are a worldwide brand is pushing it a bit. I live in Asia. Nobody knows much about them here. They're never on tv (unless playing a bigger team in the CL), they have no publicity presence, they don't feature in any kind of football coverage. They'll see a chance to change that. When clubs become that big, they outgrow their market. They'll leave to make that brand even bigger.

No clubs are going to leave their national leagues to play in a pish second rate European League with Celtic. Fact. And just because you don't hear much of Benfica in Thailand does not mean they are not a worldwide brand. When Benfica play matches pretty much anywhere, thousands of Benfica fans turn up.

You're seriously deluded if you think any decent level European teams are queueing up to go into some crap League with Celtic. this is just not a topic in the Netherlands or Portugal. But of course, you being in Asia and all, you'll know best.

Unknown user

No clubs are going to leave their national leagues to play in a pish second rate European League with Celtic. Fact. And just because you don't hear much of Benfica in Thailand does not mean they are not a worldwide brand. When Benfica play matches pretty much anywhere, thousands of Benfica fans turn up.

You're seriously deluded if you think any decent level European teams are queueing up to go into some crap League with Celtic. this is just not a topic in the Netherlands or Portugal. But of course, you being in Asia and all, you'll know best.

That's quite a bold statement, an Atlantic League was first proposed by PSV

michael_bolton

You may also be interested to know that in 2013 BrandFinance rated Benfica as football's 42nd biggest brand.

Behind 'brands' such as Stoke, Sunderland, Fulham, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart and Bayer Leverkusen.

The highest ranked 'brand' eligible for an Atlantic League are Ajax, at number 14. PSV are 40. Celtic are 44.  Neither Feyenoord nor Porto make the top 50. In the top 16 there is only one side (Ajax) from outside Europe's top 4 leagues.

These clubs have a glass ceiling that keeps them (and their brands) well below the level they are capable of in a more free market. The system as it is will die for that reason. These clubs have much more earning potential than they can realise at the moment.

If you think that won't change, then you've not been paying attention since the early 90s.

michael_bolton

See my reply above about the brand rankings.

You simply aren't approaching this from the right angle.

boabyarsebiscuit

See my reply above about the brand rankings.

You simply aren't approaching this from the right angle.

Why do Celtic want some second rate European League? Money.

Benfica do not need a second rate European League to make money. Neither do Ajax. Neither do Porto. Nobody's interested. I know it hurts to think your beloved Celtic are irrelevances, but they are.

michael_bolton

Also, in the cases on Portugese clubs in general, they may soon run into trouble with their reliance on third-party ownership. Without this, these clubs can't compete at all. They both already struggle to really compete in the CL.

The financial dice are loaded too heavily against them.

Too many people let our hatred for Celtic cloud their thinking. A change in the league set ups will benefit these clubs hugely, and it will happen.

michael_bolton

Benfica do not need a second rate European League to make money. Neither do Ajax. Neither do Porto. Nobody's interested. I know it hurts to think your beloved Celtic are irrelevances, but they are.

I'm assuming you didn't read my reply about brand rankings. Either that or you didn't understand it.

Benfica are not a big footballing brand. A big club, yes, but not a brand. Porto and Feyenoord aren't even in the global top 50, despite winning r European trophies between them this century.. They absolutely do need change.

doctor jambo

Also, in the cases on Portugese clubs in general, they may soon run into trouble with their reliance on third-party ownership. Without this, these clubs can't compete at all. They both already struggle to really compete in the CL.

The financial dice are loaded too heavily against them.

Too many people let our hatred for Celtic cloud their thinking. A change in the league set ups will benefit these clubs hugely, and it will happen.

Had there been appetite for it , it would already have happened.

The Champions League is already massively lucrative and would still be more so than whatever is proposed.

UEFA would also not like the shine off their Premiere competition so it would be one or the other

Which would mean a non starter.

Atlantic League/ Trans Europe League/ Intergalactic League

all a pie in the sky fantasy

Celtic are in trouble and are more mediocre than I can remember in decades

30k crowds, poor league form, declining player standards

Marvellous

michael_bolton

Benfica's brand was valued at USD56m in 2013. Dortmund's was valued at USD260m.

Do you still think Benfica are quite happy with the current climate?

michael_bolton

Had there been appetite for it , it would already have happened.

The Champions League is already massively lucrative and would still be more so than whatever is proposed.

UEFA would also not like the shine off their Premiere competition so it would be one or the other

Which would mean a non starter.

Atlantic League/ Trans Europe League/ Intergalactic League

all a pie in the sky fantasy

Celtic are in trouble and are more mediocre than I can remember in decades

30k crowds, poor league form, declining player standards

Marvellous

That's to do with the complicated nature of over-lapping tv contracts as much as anything else. Bayern and other big clubs have already been in UEFA's ear before about expansion on the CL/super league ideas. It's a matter of time. Teams like Benfica, Celtic, Porto, Feyenoord and PSV will find themselves in some kind of second level of that, either before or after the top version exists.

Like I said before, the tv bottle is open and it will never be shut.

Francis Albert

It strikes me that one of the great things about being a fan-owned club is that we will never need to be driven primarily by "brand value" considerations.

BangkokHearts

Benfica are fairly well known here in South East Asia, they make and sell the fake shirts. Every now and again you will se someone wearing one.

Nothing in comparison with English Prem teams but the games are on the TV.

JoseQuitongo

Scottish football would be absolutely brilliant if this pair just messed right off.

I dont think them 2 messing off is going to change the fact that clubs like st mirren and partick etc strugle to get a few hundred fans through the gates.

There just isnt a big enough fan base in scotland for our football ever to flourish without a huge injection of cash

Now them 2 messing off would be good for Hearts as we would be dominant....But thats another story lol

Francis Albert

I dont think them 2 messing off is going to change the fact that clubs like st mirren and partick etc strugle to get a few hundred fans through the gates.

There just isnt a big enough fan base in scotland for our football ever to flourish without a huge injection of cash

Now them 2 messing off would be good for Hearts as we would be dominant....But thats another story lol

Even stripping out OF crowds home and away Scotland has one of the highest football attendances per head of population in Europe. Of course Scottish football will not "flourish" like it does in countries with 10 or 15 times Scotland's population - how could it? St Mirren and Partick don't "struggle to attract hundreds". They attract thousands and their attendances are comparable to or better than those of many clubs in the smaller European Leagues.

Let Lawell and the other arse cheek run down Scottish football. I don't understand why others feel the need to join in.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Celtic can want as much as they like. The English leagues will never let them in and any European super league will prioritise plenty of other clubs before it thinks about Celtic.

michael_bolton

Benfica are fairly well known here in South East Asia, they make and sell the fake shirts. Every now and again you will se someone wearing one.

Nothing in comparison with English Prem teams but the games are on the TV.

I'd wager most Asian football fans would be less than 100% sure which country Benfica come from. I've certainly never seen a Benfica shirt in the last 3 years here.

Anyway, personal experiences aside, the brand rating tells its own story. Worldwide, Benfica are not a big deal. I agree they should be, but they're not. And for a club of their size they make a pretty poor amount of money. This is ultimately what will drive change. The same reasons drove the creation of the Premier League. Control and maximisation of income.

That's what Lawwell is on about, and that is his job.

Unknown user

Even stripping out OF crowds home and away Scotland has one of the highest football attendances per head of population in Europe. Of course Scottish football will not "flourish" like it does in countries with 10 or 15 times Scotland's population - how could it? St Mirren and Partick don't "struggle to attract hundreds". They attract thousands and their attendances are comparable to or better than those of many clubs in the smaller European Leagues.

Let Lawell and the other arse cheek run down Scottish football. I don't understand why others feel the need to join in.

Hear here sir.

My name is Alan Smithee and I love Scottish football. There, I said it.

Good post, FA.

Another....money driven...myth destroyed there....well said.

There will never be a "North Atlantic League" or whatever pish Celtic want to call it. The Eredivisie is a competitive and well attended League, and whilst financially not on a par with some of the bigger Leagues, the clubs Celtic are looking at as opposition don't need to play in some supra national third division crock of shit. Benfica, Sporting and Porto have no desire to leave their own League where they do very well financially. Who the **** would want to pay to watch Celtic, maybe some Belgian teams, and perhaps the Scandies on TV? ******* idiotic, and it really says something if the "powers that be" think this is anything like a good idea. Totally bonklers. And Celtic really are self-denying filth, the lowest of the low, the scummiest club in World football.

Agree with you Boaby, quick check on Wiki regarding the Atlantic league, they have the first mention of this being in 2000.

Pretty certain this has been thought about since I was 15 which was 1991.

From my point of view I hope it gets set up, they join with their championship brothers and fail miserably.

Lets see what happens when they come crawling back to the SPL, oh and take half of the Sfa officials with you as well please.

I'd wager most Asian football fans would be less than 100% sure which country Benfica come from. I've certainly never seen a Benfica shirt in the last 3 years here.

Anyway, personal experiences aside, the brand rating tells its own story. Worldwide, Benfica are not a big deal. I agree they should be, but they're not. And for a club of their size they make a pretty poor amount of money. This is ultimately what will drive change. The same reasons drove the creation of the Premier League. Control and maximisation of income.

That's what Lawwell is on about, and that is his job.

What you say about Benfica, or Ajax, or Celtic being unable to compete in the Champions League and making relatively minimal amounts of money compared to the big clubs in Spain or England is entirely true. The only problem is that having an Atlantic League is not going to solve that problem. It's of very limited interest to the broadcasters compared to the big leagues, and, as with every other league in Europe, after a few years, a few teams will be established at the top, so many teams will no longer be the big fish in the small pond, and will have no access to European competition at all. Teams like Porto or whoever are better off where they are than risking a load in an Atlantic League that won't help them that much anyway.

Watt-Zeefuik

Atlantic League is a dumb idea that UEFA have already effectively said will never happen.  They've left the door open to an Atlantic Cup, which I would really enjoy watching if it took, say, the top 4 teams from Scotland, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, and maybe a smattering of Scandinavian teams. 

I remember the annual David Murray Broadcast at the start of each Season chic or some stv minion would sit with their walloper out as Sir Dave waxed on about the state of the game,how he could sort it ect.....wonder how that turned out for him?

Two cheeks of the same arse

Francis Albert

Atlantic League is a dumb idea that UEFA have already effectively said will never happen.  They've left the door open to an Atlantic Cup, which I would really enjoy watching if it took, say, the top 4 teams from Scotland, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, and maybe a smattering of Scandinavian teams.

Isn't the Europa League a more attractive competition than that would be, with some very big names from the big leagues as well as the leagues you mention. Yet it is no moneyspinner. And putting Scotland in the same class as Portugal, the Netherlands and Belgium? That's Lowwell size delusion. Why would the Scandinavians "maybe" have a "smattering" while we enjoy the same representation as these relatively big leagues. The Scandinavians already enjoy much bigger TV revenue than Scotland!

Even stripping out OF crowds home and away Scotland has one of the highest football attendances per head of population in Europe. Of course Scottish football will not "flourish" like it does in countries with 10 or 15 times Scotland's population - how could it? St Mirren and Partick don't "struggle to attract hundreds". They attract thousands and their attendances are comparable to or better than those of many clubs in the smaller European Leagues.Let Lawell and the other arse cheek run down Scottish football. I don't understand why others feel the need to join in.

Great post FA - really gets on my bristols when someone tells me the crowds are shocking in Scotland. Check out the populations and look at the crowds, pretty decent overall, I'd suggest.

Ross County anyone??

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Great post, FA. I'm constantly surprised no other club has officially challenged this shite. In days where profits and brand values are so important surely it's damaging Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Hearts etc. to have their own brand trashed as worthless so frequently.

They can go anywhere they like as long as they sign away the right to play in a Scottish league at any youth level or reserve league. That would be a line in the sand that no remaining team should be prepared to concede.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Great post, FA. I'm constantly surprised no other club has officially challenged this shite. In days where profits and brand values are so important surely it's damaging Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Hearts etc. to have their own brand trashed as worthless so frequently.

:spoton:

I'd hope either or both of you have put this question to Ann Budge, or FoH? It's the kind of question that should be asked of our club's leaders next time they encourage input from us.

Francis Albert

:spoton:

I'd hope either or both of you have put this question to Ann Budge, or FoH? It's the kind of question that should be asked of our club's leaders next time they encourage input from us.

I like to think that without prompting Ann, quietly and firmly, will be asking these sorts of questions at SFA and SPFL meetings. Why do certain club officials (who also sit on SFA and SPFL committees) regularly belittle Scottish football? Why (Mr Doncaster) does Scotland get pitiful TV and sponsorship deals compared to countries of similar size which don't market on the basis that there are only two teams that matter ... and which can't hold out the prospect of "helicopter Sundays"?

But I agree they are questions we should be putting to the club and FoH when the opportunity arises.

I hope there is a Disripute charge being typed up by his buddies at SFA and SPFL headquarters to land on his dsk first thing Monday morning!??

Also, all this chat about Atlantic Leagues will not happen because as the poster above points out, the clubs wanting it have such low brand value UEFA wont listen to them. No one will be interested in it as the Champions League still rules the roost financially and these very same clubs will not make the same cash from a 2nd string over hyped Europa League. The really big clubs will continue to force the necessary changes they desire for the main prize/focus.

Watt-Zeefuik

Isn't the Europa League a more attractive competition than that would be, with some very big names from the big leagues as well as the leagues you mention. Yet it is no moneyspinner. And putting Scotland in the same class as Portugal, the Netherlands and Belgium? That's Lowwell size delusion. Why would the Scandinavians "maybe" have a "smattering" while we enjoy the same representation as these relatively big leagues. The Scandinavians already enjoy much bigger TV revenue than Scotland!

Portugal is similar to Scotland in that it has a Big Three instead of a duopoly, but otherwise I'd say Scotland's top 18 are roughly comparable to the Primeira Liga.  Also, are clubs like AZ or Vitesse really that much bigger than Hearts or Dundee United?

The biggest problem Scotland suffers from is sharing Sky Sports and the BBC in the same sovereign nation as England.  I think an Atlantic Cup would be more interesting and match clubs with higher name recognition than your average Europa League group stage, and even Europa group stage participants can expect to get close to ?2m from participation, which would be a windfall for most Scottish clubs.  I also think if group games were staged in August and finals in May or June, you'd pick up TV viewers from countries like England were the domestic league had completed.

But as has been mentioned elsewhere, because of the constant running down of the game by idiots like Lawwell and Doncaster and the shared media market with England, Scottish football is undervalued.

Harry Palmer

Dear Mr Lawwell,

Go and **** yourself.

Yours sincerely,

Harry.

Watt-Zeefuik

Now Lawwell is complaining that they'd rather be kicking off at 3 PM and forget the television deal:

REMEMBER the old days when football was played at three o?clock every Saturday? Peter Lawwell would dearly love a return but not out of any misty-eyed romanticism ? it would make Celtic more money.

Indeed, having crunched the numbers the Celtic chief executive would happily scrap the paltry SPFL television contract and revert to the traditional kick-off time. Lawwell believes that Celtic could make more from ticket sales and other match-day revenues than the ?2 million his club receives from the TV companies.

It further highlights the disparity between the English Premier League and the SPFL and how Celtic are financially hamstrung despite their commercial worth and widespread appeal, illustrated by last week?s new kit deal with New Balance. Lawwell knows his hope is a pipedream as the other Scottish clubs rely on the television money ? even if it is small change in comparison to the millions lavished upon English clubs.

He said: ?For me, we would like to play every Saturday at 3pm and forget the telly but we can?t because the other clubs are so dependent on it.

?I think we would have more people coming to games if they were three o?clock every Saturday and that would far outweigh the money we get for TV. But it is more vital for other clubs.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/peter-lawwell-ditch-the-spfl-tv-deal-1-3712459

I agree with him on one thing -- a SPFL that had no TV broadcast but just a subscriber streaming package for games and which played all its games at 3 PM on Saturday would be a fantastic thing.  

However, the easiest way to do that would be if Celtic put a bit more into revenue sharing -- perhaps a stadia improvement fund -- perhaps all of Scottish football started worrying more about backsides in seats more than TV revenue. 

It's a dead duck, they will never be allowed to join the EPL. England has no appetite to put up with their IRA nonsense . What we need is a few more years of low crowds for them and the gers, this will help level the playing field and create a challenge .

jamtartan74

Valid question, why or when did Scottish football become about protecting the 'big two' why when any rule change or whatever was mentioned did

It become about protecting them? I know they are the main attraction sadly but that situation is clearly wrong and undermines every other club in the land, we all contribute one way or another, stating the obvious here but that has messed up the competition, outside the (old) OF, they get the lions share of a shit tv deal and guaranteed high end of the prize money for league position, leaves the rest to fight it out for a 'lucrative' top six finish to set the sights on. The championship isn't where our club belongs but I have thoroughly enjoyed this season being away from the mega bucks of the spfl, will be glad to be back next season though if I'm honest, just think it's time an even share of the income is a must though, cant see it happening any time soon though.

LarrysRightFoot

Obviously I could be wrong but IMO if they did form an Atlantic League, once all the furore died down after a season or two, nobody would watch it!

You would also get heehaw in the way of travelling fans.

It would also devalue the Europa League (which is an utter mess anyway).

jamboinglasgow

Obviously I could be wrong but IMO if they did form an Atlantic League, once all the furore died down after a season or two, nobody would watch it!

You would also get heehaw in the way of travelling fans.

It would also devalue the Europa League (which is an utter mess anyway).

throw in the more crucial part, would teams in it get champions league places? 

LarrysRightFoot

throw in the more crucial part, would teams in it get champions league places?

Very true JiG.

Although the way the game is ran some farcical rule would be made up that the top 8 would be guaranteed entry to the group stages and the Champions of Scotland would have to play 15 qualifying rounds starting in January to make it to the play-off round.

jamboinglasgow

Very true JiG.

Although the way the game is ran some farcical rule would be made up that the top 8 would be guaranteed entry to the group stages and the Champions of Scotland would have to play 15 qualifying rounds starting in January to make it to the play-off round.

Your basing that on UEFA  pleased that a league like this has been set up, I think they would be the opposite as it eats into their European competition. So I would imagine UEFA would tell these clubs that they will allow one CL place and 2 Europa league places but domestic leagues have priority over places.

LarrysRightFoot

Your basing that on UEFA pleased that a league like this has been set up, I think they would be the opposite as it eats into their European competition. So I would imagine UEFA would tell these clubs that they will allow one CL place and 2 Europa league places but domestic leagues have priority over places.

Yeh you are probably right. Hopefully never gets off the ground anyway.

On a related point it's a joke the way the champions of Scotland etc are treated by UEFA when it comes to the 'Champions League'. Just highlights that all the modern game, at the top level, is about it one thing - money!

Ibrahim Tall

Your views on Celtic are clouding your opinion on this, Ajax/Benfica/Porto etc wouldn't be doing this for Celtic they'd do this for themselves.

While those clubs do benefit better financially from their respective leagues than Celtic, they still don't earn anywhere near as much as they could in one of the major leagues despite being far bigger than virtually every side bar 3 or 4 max in each of the EPL/Serie A/La Liga/Bundesliga.

To say they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to do so is incredibly naive, they're just far less vocal at airing their views than Celtic.

Archived