History of Hearts since 1920 / Journalism

Seats

You may have seen on "something for the weekend" a couple of weeks ago, they had a "history of Chelsea" which you can have personalised. I actually got the hearts one for my christmas and have just started reading it. The first thing that jumps out is how much more interesting the match reports were back in the 1920's. These guys actually knew how to write and it makes for much more interesting reading (aside from the "he worked like a [filter edit]" quote in the very first article!). Only read a few pages so far, but pretty good stuff!

Reporters nowadays should have a look at these and hang their heads in shame!

Charlie-Brown

The standard of writing & composition of match reports these days is mostly of 'low quality' also the inspiration for most stories is unimaginative......football photography also despite unimaginably far superior modern equipment doesn't capture the floavour of the moment that old photographs appear to......history won't look favourably on the Banderson's or K.Jackson's of our age.

You may have seen on "something for the weekend" a couple of weeks ago, they had a "history of Chelsea" which you can have personalised. I actually got the hearts one for my christmas and have just started reading it. The first thing that jumps out is how much more interesting the match reports were back in the 1920's. These guys actually knew how to write and it makes for much more interesting reading (aside from the "he worked like a [filter edit]" quote in the very first article!). Only read a few pages so far, but pretty good stuff!

What is the quality of it like? Mean the presentation/binding etc.

Worth the money?

The Old Tolbooth

My better half bought me the same book for my xmas in 2006, it's an amazing read and I especially enjoyed the 50's, 60's and 80's.

I was amazed at how many times we scored 7, 8 or 9 goals against the opposition in the 20's and 30's though.

Archived