Uber coming to Edinburgh

tartofmidlothian

I use it all the time. Good service. Just regular cars but they have to be only a set number of years old. I do wonder if Edinburgh is big enough for it to be sustainable though

Not a chance. Unlicensed cabs aren't for me at the best of times, we have plenty taxis in Edinburgh and don't need any more. Plus they sound like the shadiest company going. 

Stalking folk, holding tracking data (your tracking data) they shouldn't, drivers raping women, sabotaging competitors. http://time.com/3592098/uber-controversy/

I particularly liked the one when the arsepiece MD or whoever it was suggested that he'd hire private investigators to follow journalists who dared criticise the company - dig up dirt on their private lives and their families, that sort of thing. Horrible company.

The People's Chimp

They are a horrible company, but last time I was in London, EVERYONE, was using them. It was easy as ****, plus you pay online so it is actually pretty good for women who might be needing to get home and don't have cash on them. 

Way around that would obviously be for an Edinburgh taxi firm to release their own app that did the same thing...

tartofmidlothian

Not a chance. Unlicensed cabs aren't for me at the best of times, we have plenty taxis in Edinburgh and don't need any more. Plus they sound like the shadiest company going.

Stalking folk, holding tracking data (your tracking data) they shouldn't, drivers raping women, sabotaging competitors. http://time.com/3592098/uber-controversy/

I particularly liked the one when the arsepiece MD or whoever it was suggested that he'd hire private investigators to follow journalists who dared criticise the company - dig up dirt on their private lives and their families, that sort of thing. Horrible company.

:cornette:

I knew none of this. That's grim.

They are a horrible company, but last time I was in London, EVERYONE, was using them. It was easy as ****, plus you pay online so it is actually pretty good for women who might be needing to get home and don't have cash on them.

Way around that would obviously be for an Edinburgh taxi firm to release their own app that did the same thing...

I use them regularly. The owner seems to be a bellend but I've never had a problem with any of their drivers. I tend to avoid them when they stick the surge pricing on - they're usually more than half the cost of a minicab in London so you can see why people are using them.

Stalking folk, holding tracking data (your tracking data) they shouldn't, drivers raping women, sabotaging competitors. http://time.com/3592098/uber-controversy/

FFS, I hadn't heard any of this. That's really shady. 

I'll be sticking to the standard black cab I think

They have very recently.

Its called Get Taxi does exactly the same thing but for Black Cabs

The People's Chimp

The thing about the abductions, stalking and assaults though, imagine you looked at stats for "taxi drivers" doing the same thing, and included drivers in NY, LA etc. You'd undoubtedly have higher numbers. 

Not excusing them, and their business tactics appear to have been terrible, but it's a service people want. 

City Cabs already have their own App that does all that, and more. Dead easy to use, really convenient, let's you track the vehicle coming to pick you up (giving reg number and details) accurate, and lets you pay electronically, by card in the cab, or by cash.

They are just basically a taxi firm, with good marketing and technology (which some other taxi firms also have).

They are just basically a taxi firm, with good marketing and technology (which some other taxi firms also have).

And cheaper.

Will do well in Edinburgh with everyone but the old grumps.

And cheaper.

Will do well in Edinburgh with everyone but the old grumps.

There's probably not much stopping incumbent firms adjusting their pricing structures to become more competitive.

Seymour M Hersh

City Cabs already have their own App that does all that, and more. Dead easy to use, really convenient, let's you track the vehicle coming to pick you up (giving reg number and details) accurate, and lets you pay electronically, by card in the cab, or by cash.

As do Edinburgh city private hire.

Stalking folk, holding tracking data (your tracking data) they shouldn't, drivers raping women, sabotaging competitors. http://time.com/3592098/uber-controversy/

My understanding is that Edinburgh council are pretty strict about releasing new plates for licensed cabs so I'm not sure how they'll view something like this.

If they give it the go ahead I hope there's plenty of regulation.

I can understand the appeal of something like this in massive cities like London but I don't think there's a need for it here, not numbers-wise anyway. Plus as others have mentioned we already have companies who use apps and card payment and whatever.

I wonder if the drivers will have any more consideration for other road users than the utter tits who drive those 'licensed' people carriers?

Howdy Doody Jambo

All the top taxi companys have an App these days

Uber isn't a taxi service just a cheaper service of a private hire car , with 80% of the roads in Edinburgh going to 20mph we will be quicker getting a horse and cart in town .

Edinburgh is a tiny small city compared to London where demand is greater , would you wait in the rain on the street late at night for who knows what driving an old Lada while a taxi goes past with his light ?

I think Edinburghers have too much class for a dodgy set-up

All the top taxi companys have an App these days

Uber isn't a taxi service just a cheaper service of a private hire car , with 80% of the roads in Edinburgh going to 20mph we will be quicker getting a horse and cart in town .

Edinburgh is a tiny small city compared to London where demand is greater , would you wait in the rain on the street late at night for who knows what driving an old Lada while a taxi goes past with his light ?

I think Edinburghers have too much class for a dodgy set-up

If you had booked a taxi/private hire car/call-it-what-ever-you want through uber, you would be as inclined to wait for it in that situation just as much as you would be any other taxi/private hire car you had booked.

As a private hire driver who's about to sit his topography test it doesn't worry me. Yeah im an extremely laid back taxi driver and only really do it casually just to have a job whilst at uni. The plan was to black cab it up and have that to earn whilst looking for a graduate job in the summer. But GetTaxi and Uber are things id sign up for. More work for me right if I embrace the technology. More work for people who don't, when I sign off they get more work is the theory. Taxi rides.... hate taxi's wouldn't even give them the steam off my pish. That's my stand point, before, now and for as long as im able to walk upto 45-1 hour from where I am. But if it was cheap cheap on Uber id use it. And id imagine many other are the same.... maybe not with such distain for taxi drivers but certainly if its cheap folks use it. Bring new demand to the industry... more work for me, more work for non ubers and the demand for taxi peak tmes... will always out weigh supply. Infact, im excited to sign up to these services and id imagine most 'new' (non traditional, printing money era types) would agree and im very confident that ill get more work during the quiet 'sit about' hours than I would not being part of the new services.

As a private hire driver who's about to sit his topography test it doesn't worry me. Yeah im an extremely laid back taxi driver and only really do it casually just to have a job whilst at uni. The plan was to black cab it up and have that to earn whilst looking for a graduate job in the summer. But GetTaxi and Uber are things id sign up for. More work for me right if I embrace the technology. More work for people who don't, when I sign off they get more work is the theory. Taxi rides.... hate taxi's wouldn't even give them the steam off my pish. That's my stand point, before, now and for as long as im able to walk upto 45-1 hour from where I am. But if it was cheap cheap on Uber id use it. And id imagine many other are the same.... maybe not with such distain for taxi drivers but certainly if its cheap folks use it. Bring new demand to the industry... more work for me, more work for non ubers and the demand for taxi peak tmes... will always out weigh supply. Infact, im excited to sign up to these services and id imagine most 'new' (non traditional, printing money era types) would agree and im very confident that ill get more work during the quiet 'sit about' hours than I would not being part of the new services.

Isn't that the thing though, demand will always out-strip supply at peak times and that's why they're peak times.

Flood the city with taxis that outstrip demand at peak times and you have too many every other time of the day.

Surely with all these cases of rape etc. itll be easy to find the driver, considering you can see where they are on a map. As opposed to flagging down a random cab and just jumping in. Only heard good things about uber

Surely with all these cases of rape etc. itll be easy to find the driver, considering you can see where they are on a map. As opposed to flagging down a random cab and just jumping in. Only heard good things about uber

not actually read the article so not sure if this is the case

As a private hire driver who's about to sit his topography test it doesn't worry me. Yeah im an extremely laid back taxi driver and only really do it casually just to have a job whilst at uni. The plan was to black cab it up and have that to earn whilst looking for a graduate job in the summer. But GetTaxi and Uber are things id sign up for. More work for me right if I embrace the technology. More work for people who don't, when I sign off they get more work is the theory. Taxi rides.... hate taxi's wouldn't even give them the steam off my pish. That's my stand point, before, now and for as long as im able to walk upto 45-1 hour from where I am. But if it was cheap cheap on Uber id use it. And id imagine many other are the same.... maybe not with such distain for taxi drivers but certainly if its cheap folks use it. Bring new demand to the industry... more work for me, more work for non ubers and the demand for taxi peak tmes... will always out weigh supply. Infact, im excited to sign up to these services and id imagine most 'new' (non traditional, printing money era types) would agree and im very confident that ill get more work during the quiet 'sit about' hours than I would not being part of the new services.

What an absolute pile of shit !!!!more taxis/phc/new uber cars means more business , for a person clever enough to be at uni you've not obviously seen the taxi /phc vehicles on a mon tues wed night and thought that thru, even the phc drivers I've spoken to DONT want this lot!!

Just suppose they do get here and you are driving for them remember your CAR insurance -as that's what it is- doesnt cover your passengers for using the green ways and therefor if they're hurt in a crash whilst your in an active one , the insurance will be invalid . Why bring this up well IF the 20 mph becomes active I'll bet that more and more people will chance it by using them to get thru the traffic after getting frustrated waiting.

I wonder if your old enough to remember the shambles that was bus deregulation ? The small buses that appeared everywhere , the debatable driving skills and what do we have now , thankfully a bloody great bus service after all the charlatans buggered off

Oh and mention to the guys teaching you the knowledge that you welcome uber , should be interesting :)

What an absolute pile of shit !!!!more taxis/phc/new uber cars means more business , for a person clever enough to be at uni you've not obviously seen the taxi /phc vehicles on a mon tues wed night and thought that thru, even the phc drivers I've spoken to DONT want this lot!!

Just suppose they do get here and you are driving for them remember your CAR insurance -as that's what it is- doesnt cover your passengers for using the green ways and therefor if they're hurt in a crash whilst your in an active one , the insurance will be invalid . Why bring this up well IF the 20 mph becomes active I'll bet that more and more people will chance it by using them to get thru the traffic after getting frustrated waiting.

I wonder if your old enough to remember the shambles that was bus deregulation ? The small buses that appeared everywhere , the debatable driving skills and what do we have now , thankfully a bloody great bus service after all the charlatans buggered off

Oh and mention to the guys teaching you the knowledge that you welcome uber , should be interesting :)

Well said mate

Can't wait.

Edinburgh taxis are disgustingly overpriced.

Uber's top brass may be dicks but they've made getting a cab in London easy and affordable. And most of the drivers are really nice as they rely on you rating your ride.

Given about half their drivers seem to use Priuses means it's more environmentally friendly as well.

Can't wait.

Uber's top brass may be dicks but they've made getting a cab in London easy and affordable. And most of the drivers are really nice as they rely on you rating your ride.

Given about half their drivers seem to use Priuses means it's more environmentally friendly as well.

+1

Can't wait.

This x10

I got a taxi from the same spot on consecutive nights at Christmas and there was a ?10 difference in the fare (?20 vs ?10).

That first night there was x1.5 hike because it was Boxing Day yet it still managed to be another fiver on top.

Thieves.

This x10

I got a taxi from the same spot on consecutive nights at Christmas and there was a ?10 difference in the fare (?20 vs ?10).

That first night there was x1.5 hike because it was Boxing Day yet it still managed to be another fiver on top.

Thieves.

Of course, plenty of uber drivers hike their prices up at times. At least you know what you are getting into, though (price wise, any way...).

Here in Boston we use Uber a lot.  My wife really likes them as she feels safer than getting into the manky cabs they have here.  That's one of the big advantages over here, the cab firms have neglected the customer for too long and now paying the price.

Not sure how it's being launched in UK but here you have different Uber services.  There's the original Uber which is a limo type vehicle driven by licensed limo drivers (which we use most of the time).  Then they did a SUV (4x4) version of the same service.

More recently, and more popular now, is Uber-x which is private vehicles/drivers.  I'm assuming that's what they're talking about launching in EDI/GLW?

Never had a problem with them.  Have provided a service that's been sorely lacking in Boston - doesn't necessarily mean the same service is lacking in EDI - I've never had an issue with the black cabs back home.

I'm sure there'll be the usual round of outrage and protests as happens in any city Uber launch into.

This x10

Thieves.

So do you work Christmas and or new year for less than time and a half ? Also just so your aware the higher rate , rate4 ,has just been removed the council and police set these fare tariffs btw not taxi companies

I wonder what job you do ? Whatever it is your overpaid and as you think I'm a thief I presume it's okay for me to reciprocate that ..... Thief

My understanding is that Edinburgh council are pretty strict about releasing new plates for licensed cabs so I'm not sure how they'll view something like this.

If they give it the go ahead I hope there's plenty of regulation.

I can understand the appeal of something like this in massive cities like London but I don't think there's a need for it here, not numbers-wise anyway. Plus as others have mentioned we already have companies who use apps and card payment and whatever.

The need is there. Edinburgh taxi firms are extortionate and if all Uber do is bring average prices down then happy days.

Howdy Doody Jambo

The need is there. Edinburgh taxi firms are extortionate and if all Uber do is bring average prices down then happy days.

So who is going to set the Uber price ?  Are Uber drivers going to drive for that much cheaper than the council meter ? Will Uber drivers have public liability insurance ? Will Uber drivers know there way around the city ? Will Uber divers put up with the drunkin nonsense for pennies ? Would you be an Uber driver ?

So who is going to set the Uber price ? Are Uber drivers going to drive for that much cheaper than the council meter ? Will Uber drivers have public liability insurance ? Will Uber drivers know there way around the city ? Will Uber divers put up with the drunkin nonsense for pennies ? Would you be an Uber driver ?

The driver and the potential customer agree the price up front.

Possibly. That's part of the appeal.

I'm unsure how that works.

Thanks to modern GPS systems, probably.

They can leave crap reviews for the passengers, which should act as some sort of control for the behaviour of Uber users.

Pass. I'm sure many will be interested, though (although I'm really not convinced the market is there in somewhere as small, and well-served by public transport as Edinburgh).

Many people will use uber until they encounter a problem. Uber will take no responsibility for the drivers actions as they will say they are self employed, the only downside is a bad review for the driver. There is nothing to stop the driver re registering under another persons details and starting again. Uber charge a set percentage per fare to the driver  so he makes even less than you are paying him, not your problem but when that driver feels the need to take risks on the road to get you out of his car so he can get another job ASAP is when the problems will start.  If you are using your own car to ferry fee paying passengers for any length of journey on a standard car insurance policy you wont be insured . Pretty sure a guy earning minimum wage over the week isnt going to pay public liability insurance or maintain their cars to the standard a paying passenger would expect.

Uber itself will pay no tax at all here because it has opted out of doing so.

At the end of the day people want a bargain for everything but when the bargain comes at you or your families potential safety for a few ? you have to think is it worth it.

Boaby Ewing

What's the standard taxi rate in Edinburgh?

My sense is it is higher than London, but would like to see the numbers.

Lot of taxis done over the weekend in Leith area, just a heads up if you're down this way.

One boy got his window done in on both Saturday and Sunday night.

Boaby Ewing

Cheers - looks like Edinburgh is cheaper over 2 miles. Think the minimum fare in London is higher.

Fare per mile seems about the same though, which strikes me as a little odd given much higher average salaries in the smoke.

Uber isn't without its problems. But Edinburgh cabbies can grump about it and risk losing half their business if their all-or-nothing attempts to ban it fail.

Or they need to find a way to either embrace it or take it on.

You can select black cabs on the app in London, btw. As well as the standard cars or limos.

Archived