Where is Edinburgh's best Indian?

Nixie

Ghurka Caf? on Cockburn Street is decent and probably more Indian than Nepalese.

Not in Edinburgh, but the Heritage in Bathgate is really good.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also not in town but Karma in Whitburn is really good. Not much to look at from the outside but don't be put off.

Seconded.  Used to be a boozer called The Linden and was known to host 'bands' on a Saturday night. Very good Indian now, though.

Arthur Morgan

I've tried various over the past few years that deliver to the Gorgie area and the only one to stand out is Jashans. The food is nice but the staff are dour faced bassas.

Disser Pointon

For east Edinburgh and East Lothian, Gurkha in Musselburgh is excellent. Goa in Prestonpans also.

Going to the Gurkha on Saturday, usually stick by the Shish Mahal in Mussy cos it's BYOB and the owner is sound but thought we'd give it a try because we've heard so many good reviews.

I thought the Guru was average. It either used to be good or I was unlucky.

Mithas (now closed) was incredible for a more fine dining experience. Looking forward to their new place.

The Rivage on Easter Road never lets me down. Superb in there. Prefer sitting in to taking away from.

Kismot, closing on 01 Mar for refurb, was always great too. They've just opened a second one across from the Kings Theatre though. (Think it used to be Imans)

I tried Shapla a while back, wasn't impressed. In Touch and The Raj are both average for me too.

Voujon, Ignite and St John's Curry Club are all excellent. Guru certainly used to be great - although the portions were huge - but haven't been for years. Get my takeaways from Bombay Feast and Asha and they're both pretty good.

Was in kushis last night, food was really good, only minor complaint was the food came very quick, but will definitely be back

Brian Whittaker's Tache

The verandah at haymarket used to be very good if its good enough for cliff richard and clint eastwood its good enough for me.oner a good jambo too

Wali Udin that owns it used to be a season ticket holder at Tynecastle. I used to work in the tool shop next door as a spotty youth and the food was always excellent. His nephew owns In Touch at Goldenacre.

Kebab Mahal for down and dirty indian food and Mother India if I'm dressed up.

Shapla sucks a fat one these days. Used to be so good but the last three time have been rubbish. Wont be wasting my money there again.

Went to the Ronaq Restaurant on Craigleith Road - has recently changed hands from the Far Pavillion and been done up.

Found the food fantastic, staff really friendly and it was BYOB. Highly recommend giving it a try!

scots civil war

faith in shapla was restored on friday nights treat just there,just thought id mention...

north indian chilli garlic lamb
sag panir
pilau rice

top stuff after a hard weeks work

Say What Again

only minor complaint was the food came very quick

Trying not to come across as a dick here, because that's genuinely not my intention, but what time is acceptable? Served too quick? Could you not say I'd like this in 20 mins time?

Trying not to come across as a dick here, because that's genuinely not my intention, but what time is acceptable? Served too quick? Could you not say I'd like this in 20 mins time?

We arrived about 6.30, we had ordered, had a starter each which came out 2 or 3 minutes after we had ordered, and our mains with a rice and a naan and had finished just after 7, if it wasnt for the fact we had a bottle of wine to finish we would have been out by 7.10.

I maybe should have said after our starter to leave it 20/25 minutes, but as i said the food was really good so wil be back.

If you want a change from the normal tired Indian Restaurant menus that differ only slightly from place to place, then try Tanjore on Clerk Street. It's genuine South Indian cuisine and most of the things on the menu will be new to you. The kitchen is open, the food is fresh and well cooked, the service is excellent and the staff will gladly talk you through the menu. 

Also BYOB and very reasonably priced.

If you try it, you will definitely thank me for the recommendation.

http://tanjore.co.uk/menu/dinner-menu

Brian Whittaker's Tache

If you want a change from the normal tired Indian Restaurant menus that differ only slightly from place to place, then try Tanjore on Clerk Street. It's genuine South Indian cuisine and most of the things on the menu will be new to you. The kitchen is open, the food is fresh and well cooked, the service is excellent and the staff will gladly talk you through the menu. 

That looks pretty good. Will be trying that.

the general

good shout .. use this place a lot at Festival time

Was in the Mumbai Mansion on Friday, very good but as someone said the menu very rarely changes, the ice cream is rotten.

Also not in town but Karma in Whitburn is really good. Not much to look at from the outside but don't be put off.

My local curry house, cant see past it...heading up there on Friday night for a rare sit in...usually a take away

Bridge of Djoum

Does the Mosque on the South Side still have the cafe out the back?

Had a good few, very cheap meals there. Not the best, but was well worth the visit.

The old Gulnar's on Queen Charlotte Street was amazing, not Indian, the owner Mohammed was Iraqi, but great food. 

Been in NYC a while now, and still struggling to find a top class Indian place. For now, I'm making do with Patak's paste and my imagination.

Does the Mosque on the South Side still have the cafe out the back?

Had a good few, very cheap meals there. Not the best, but was well worth the visit.

The old Gulnar's on Queen Charlotte Street was amazing, not Indian, the owner Mohammed was Iraqi, but great food. 

Been in NYC a while now, and still struggling to find a top class Indian place. For now, I'm making do with Patak's paste and my imagination.

Aye the Central Mosque still serves out the back but they also have a proper inside sit-down restaurant now in Nicholson Square.

Bridge of Djoum

Aye the Central Mosque still serves out the back but they also have a proper inside sit-down restaurant now in Nicholson Square.

Is it good?

duckandcover

Is it good?

Mosque Kitchen it's called, it's a buffet place, food is good and very reasonable at lunchtimes, sure it's less than 8 quid for the buffet

tartofmidlothian

It's more complicated than that. I'd heard the original Mosque Kitchen guys had a disagreement with the folk at the mosque and opened the place on Nicholson Square, which is fantastic and cheap. The mosque then opened their own place in the yard, which I tried once and didn't like as much.

Disser Pointon

Going to the Gurkha on Saturday, usually stick by the Shish Mahal in Mussy cos it's BYOB and the owner is sound but thought we'd give it a try because we've heard so many good reviews.

Was a bit disappointed, will be sticking with the Shish in future!

The Future's Maroon

Jashans all day long for me, takeaways are great, sitting in is immense!

Fortunately for me I stay less than 5 mins away from it too!

jambogaz1968

Jashans my arse, ordered a massive scran a couple of month ago , told them 5 rice , got 1 , time they got it sorted everything was cold.

Just been fed at the guru across from fountain park have to say they over feed you and food was amazing and the biggest nann bread I have seen

heartsfc_fan

Bombay spice in bonnyrigg is quality

This! Local to me. Only a takeaway (at the moment) not a sit in place. I overhead a convo from the chap at the counter with a customer that they were trying to make the place into a restaurant.

He is the brother of the owner of the Bombay Lounge in Dalkeith. Also top notch.

Also thumbs up to Omar Khayyam and just over the road the wee gem The Khukuri.

Dave McCreery's knee

Jashans was really disappointing. Curry Leaf in Brunstfield for takeaways is good.

Jashans all day long for me, takeaways are great, sitting in is immense!

Fortunately for me I stay less than 5 mins away from it too!

The one at Slateford Road?

They seemingly have bought the old Centre Court pub and shop next door at Colinton Road. Watch this space

Rabbie_Burns

We enjoyed eating at Dhaba Indian Restaurant on Lexington a couple of months back, maybe not top class but pretty good for US

The Old Tolbooth

For anyone over this way, there's a new Indian called Gulshaan opened in Inverkeithing which is very good, I ordered a few different dishes from the takeaway menu, they were very good, and so we went for a sit down and again it was very good, their Nawaab is to die for! 

Years ago The Delta in Roseburn was decent. Is it still rated ?

Yeah. Gone there a few times recently and have been impressed

Sounds like Jashans may have gone downhill recently. My mate told me the other night he waited 2 and half hours for them to deliver his meal a couple of weekends ago. Utter pisstake.

Seymour M Hersh

Used to regularly end up in the Eastern Pavillion on St John's Road. Always good food but quite pricey and oddly for an indian pretty measly portions.

Britannia Spice beside Ocean Terminal has been excellent every time I've been to it.

Also The Omar Khayyam at Haymarket is excellent.

Britannia Spice beside Ocean Terminal has been excellent every time I've been to it.

Went to Britannia Spice in November. (Amazon Local voucher). Thought it was poor.

Went to Britannia Spice in November. (Amazon Local voucher). Thought it was poor.

Albert Tatlock

I got a home delivery from Jashans last Thursday. Took 35 mins and it was amazing.

Obviously a Fri/Sat night order is going to take longer.

All the good ones mentioned

Cheap & cheerful : Kebab Mahal (nic square) & mosque kitchen (one in mosque not new one)

Nothing beats mother india,

like kebabish, tuk tuk & kushis also tho.

Archived