Where is Edinburgh's best Indian?

Nixie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mithas down Leith top notch high class food

Gurkha in Fisherrow Nepalese delight

Mithas in Leith closed on 1 Jan. I've heard they're opening in town but not sure where

Malinga the Swinga

Kebabish in Dalry is top notch, especially the mixed meat platter starter, as is the Himalaya in Morningside. For takeaways, Abdul's in Morningside is also top quality.

Really interested in what everybodys thoughts are, as i love a curry, tried Mithas, wasnt impressed, anybody tried Kushis recently since its been done up, not been there for a while.

Was in Mother India last week after the game, it was ok.

I know its not Edinburgh but Itihaas in Dalkeith is excellent.

Also look forward to trying this new craft beer and curry place opening down Leith called VDeep

Just outside Edinburgh but I cannot see past Bombay Lounge in Dalkeith.

Clay oven and Kebabish (for a grilled dish) are safe bets.

blondejamtart

Itihaas in Dalkeith and its sister restaurant, the Radhuni in Loanhead, are fantastic. Best Indians I've ever eaten in. Bombay Lounge was ok, but not a patch on Itihaas.

The 2 best Indian restaurants I've been in are Taste of Spice in Selkirk and Dhubba in Glasgow.

Both outstanding.

Itihaas in Dalkeith and its sister restaurant, the Radhuni in Loanhead, are fantastic. Best Indians I've ever eaten in. Bombay Lounge was ok, but not a patch on Itihaas.

Agreed. But in Edinburgh, Voujon is class....

BYOB , Red Fort in Drummond Street   :2thumbsup:

Always rated the Clay Oven in Morningside and Jashans in Slateford is also of a decent standard.

Any other recommendations?

got a clay over last weekend - zero flavour. normally excellent. never going back.

Jashans is great and the owner is a jambo. Bombay bicycle club in brougham place excellent as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kebabish in Dalry is top notch, especially the mixed meat platter starter, as is the Himalaya in Morningside. For takeaways, Abdul's in Morningside is also top quality.

Get my deliveries over my back garden wall. Can smell when my Madras is ready.

For sit in recently I have had set lunches in Ignite at Haymarket which was good but I thought a slightly better tasting was Bombay Bicycle Club at Tolcross.

For take away I used to get mines from The Clay Oven but the standard over the last year seems to have dipped..especially when they are busy. Just down from the clay on the hill opposite the opening to the Dominion is a take away called 'Amani' - 10/10 this place folks. Open kitchen so all the stuff is cooked in front of you and every thing I have had from there has been immense.

Get my deliveries over my back garden wall. Can smell when my Madras is ready.

So can my parents - you must live close to them!

Mumbai Mansion, the Guru and Bombay Bicycle club are all very good. Agree with Abdul's, always superb.

Need to try the Clay Oven again, not been in years.

Not tried Amani either - will check it out too.

Albert Tatlock

Back in the day, the best was Spice of Life in Dundee Street. Went there for years, then they got done for hide beetles and mice. Mortified. They shut down. Started using Ghuru Balti. was mega. Massive portions, but bit more expensive. They went downhill too. Now I just make my own. Not far off the mark, and a lot lot cheaper. My tarka dahl beats any Indian. Can make about 6 large portions for 3 squid.

Konrad von Carstein

Back in the day, the best was Spice of Life in Dundee Street. Went there for years, then they got done for hide beetles and mice. Mortified. They shut down. Started using Ghuru Balti. was mega. Massive portions, but bit more expensive. They went downhill too. Now I just make my own. Not far off the mark, and a lot lot cheaper. My tarka dahl beats any Indian. Can make about 6 large portions for 3 squid.

A bold claim like this needs backed up with some recipes......

tartofmidlothian

I can highly recommend The Khukuri Nepalise in West Maitland Street and Kismot in The Pleasance.

The St John's Curry Club in Corstorphine is also pretty good.

I agree that Itihaas in Dalkeith is excellent.

Used to like the Khukuri when I lived that way years ago.

tartofmidlothian

For a take away/delivery it's The Shapla on Easter Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was discussed on here recently that it's gone a bit downhill. I still use it though.

Was discussed on here recently that it's gone a bit downhill. I still use it though.

It's my go to takeaway and i haven't noticed any change. However as a regular user they definitely have their best chefs working on Friday and Saturday.

Agree with a lot of the posts on here but would also like to recommend Spice Pavilions on Dundas St.

V Deep, the craft beer & curry place opened last night. It's a joint venture between Hardeep Singh Kohli & what was The Vintage down leith. Bloggers & critics raving about it. We went last night - what a pile of pish!

It is tapas style so we chose 5 dishes plus couple of sides for the 2 of us - wanted to get a good sample. 2 dishes were excellent namely pork cheek vindaloo & butter chicken. Rice was undercooked. Naan was okay. Other 3 dishes quite bland. Place was quite cold esp when the door opened. (Vintage had a revolving door to combat this but it has been turned into a snug). Jaipur IPA which is a great IPA - none left by 6pm on opening night?? A few dishes on menu were specials, staff couldn't tell us what they were. Only told us when asked & then guessed! (Said probably a chicken dish with creamy sauce cause 'that's what is always is') Again WTF. It's opening night! Anyways service poor, concept, specials & rotational beers not explained nor written anywhere. But to top it all HSK was there himself, got talking about the beers, asked me to taste the one he was drinking (from his glass???), quite liked it so he said he would get me a half & it was on him. Brought me a 1/3rd pint and then had charged for it on the bill! And when talking to us about the plates (which are massive & took up whole table) managed to make a 'joke' about rimming to the wife. Really??? Now when I recall why he was sacked from the One Show. To summarise - great concept, wanted to like it, won't be back!

Agree with a lot of the posts on here but would also like to recommend Spice Pavilions on Dundas St.

V Deep, the craft beer & curry place opened last night. It's a joint venture between Hardeep Singh Kohli & what was The Vintage down leith. Bloggers & critics raving about it. We went last night - what a pile of pish!

It is tapas style so we chose 5 dishes plus couple of sides for the 2 of us - wanted to get a good sample. 2 dishes were excellent namely pork cheek vindaloo & butter chicken. Rice was undercooked. Naan was okay. Other 3 dishes quite bland. Place was quite cold esp when the door opened. (Vintage had a revolving door to combat this but it has been turned into a snug). Jaipur IPA which is a great IPA - none left by 6pm on opening night?? A few dishes on menu were specials, staff couldn't tell us what they were. Only told us when asked & then guessed! (Said probably a chicken dish with creamy sauce cause 'that's what is always is') Again WTF. It's opening night! Anyways service poor, concept, specials & rotational beers not explained nor written anywhere. But to top it all HSK was there himself, got talking about the beers, asked me to taste the one he was drinking (from his glass???), quite liked it so he said he would get me a half & it was on him. Brought me a 1/3rd pint and then had charged for it on the bill! And when talking to us about the plates (which are massive & took up whole table) managed to make a 'joke' about rimming to the wife. Really??? Now when I recall why he was sacked from the One Show. To summarise - great concept, wanted to like it, won't be back!

Jokes about rimming the wife are serious business.

Should have demanded a refund on the bill.

:jjyay:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Omar Khayyam was excellent the last time I was in it.

Omar Khayyam gave everyone food poisoning, last time I was there.

Edit: This was found years after I was last there http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/dirty-kitchens-are-hard-to-stomach-for-capital-diners-1-2109460

Itihaas, Bombay Lounge & Ashiana in Dalkeith are all excellent.

Rupert Pupkin

Matin Khan, is opening a new restaurant in Bonnyrigg to go with his other ventures Ittihas and Radhuni. Suppose that means he will be closing the Bombay Spice. Personally I can't see what the fuss is with Ittihas and Radhuni,every time I have had something from there the sauce has been runny and bland. Much prefer Memories of India.

Joking about rimming your wife :rofl:

It sounds like a great concept, as you say. Hopefully the staff get better. I'll definitely be going though

scots civil war

can we recieve some more details re the rimming

you went into a lot of detail about everything else

Back in the day, the best was Spice of Life in Dundee Street. Went there for years, then they got done for hide beetles and mice. Mortified. They shut down.

It was me who got them shut down :D

I lived right above them back in the late-90s, and complained about their horrific extractor fans which caused my flat (and it's contents) to shake violently.

So the Environmental Health paid them a visit and were horrified by what they saw :o

There's a cracking place in Aberlady if anyone's ever out that way called The Grace of India; lovely food, great service and a BYOB. Love it.

Only-annoyed-because-the-wife-looked-interested type post IMO.

Wouldn't fancy trying it after an Indian though :lol:

manaliveits105

The verandah at haymarket used to be very good if its good enough for cliff richard and clint eastwood its good enough for me.oner a good jambo too

But to top it all HSK was there himself, got talking about the beers, asked me to taste the one he was drinking (from his glass???), quite liked it so he said he would get me a half & it was on him. Brought me a 1/3rd pint and then had charged for it on the bill! And when talking to us about the plates (which are massive & took up whole table) managed to make a 'joke' about rimming to the wife. Really??? Now when I recall why he was sacked from the One Show.

Trolled hard by HSK :lol:

Archived