Holiday Prices This Year

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Been looking around for a 2 week family holiday, but the prices are sky high compared to last year. I looked at the same holiday destination as last year and there is a ?700 increase on the price.

Now I know Fuel and food prices are high, but with everyone feeling the pinch you would think prices would be lower than they are to encourage people to buy holidays.:sad:

Miller Jambo 60
Been looking around for a 2 week family holiday, but the prices are sky high compared to last year. I looked at the same holiday destination as last year and there is a ?700 increase on the price.

Now I know Fuel and food prices are high, but with everyone feeling the pinch you would think prices would be lower than they are to encourage people to buy holidays.:sad:

Stay in Scotland mate , up the hylands and enjoy the wee biters .

:107years::107years:

Rawrrrrrrr
Stay in Scotland mate , up the hylands and enjoy the wee biters .

:107years::107years:

are the hylands past the highlands?

;););)

Doctor FinnBarr

Holiday comps have stopped doing the last minute cheapo stuff cos everyone was waiting on them. We booked Turkey for Sept (2 adults, 1 child) 14 nights AI ?1250, but when we thought about a week anywhere it was just as expensive as the 2 weeks!

:confused:

my Mum and Dad live in Malaga and for us for a week its ?1200 for flights for 8 of us which is pretty good as we dont have to pay for accomodation.

you have left it way to late, i paid ?1950 for my summer holiday this year flying from newcastle to majorca (cala bona 5 star) on 6th July. i booked this in June last year before i had even been on last years holiday so that i get the free child place and the other one at discounted rate. my holiday for exactly the same is now coming in at ?3450

Just picked up my tickets today, 3 weeks to go and then a lovely couple of weeks travelling around California.

There are some good late deals out there if you look.

There are good deals and will be later on, especially if you are travelling in June or September. Peak season will still be expensive, though.

I know it can be like drawing blood, but just keep searching for flights.

After endless amounts of quotes for 5 of us going to Portugal, of ?2500+.

We managed to get flights for ?100 each and accomodation for ?200. We are flying from Manchester, and will hire a car over there for two weeks but is still going to come in at under ?2k.

cosanostra
Just picked up my tickets today, 3 weeks to go and then a lovely couple of weeks travelling around California.

That sounds brilliant.

Are you going to North California, i reckon it's much better than the south. San Francisco and the Napa Valley are amazing.

That sounds brilliant.

Are you going to North California, i reckon it's much better than the south. San Francisco and the Napa Valley are amazing.

LA, San Diego, Vegas, san Francisco, Monterey and Santa Monica. 4*+ all the way. I can't wait. 4 days in SF so lots of scope to go to Napa etc.

Only a Game

Best advice for this year, and any other year for that matter, would be to avoid travel agents, even online ones and book direct yourself

Most Travel Agents work on commission or mark up between 15-25% these days.

If your confident enough to travel without the convenience of a "package" and youve got the time to hunt out the direct contacts (sometimes not as easy as it should be) then you should be loooking to save around 20% and have virtually the same holiday.

Also, avoid the UK school holidays if you possibly can. Its a charter to rip you off and your kids will thank for it in the end.

LA, San Diego, Vegas, san Francisco, Monterey and Santa Monica. 4*+ all the way. I can't wait. 4 days in SF so lots of scope to go to Napa etc.

Taz, that sounds like a great trip, IMHO, the first four places (Monterey is cool, Cannery Row,the bay, the aquarium etc) would need a minimum of three days to scratch the surface - anyway, have fun - sounds like a real blast - I'm jealous.

The trip to Muir woods is worth it - my beautiful wife (Fiona Muir) claims to be a distant relation!

coppercrutch
- less demand for overseas holidays - costs fall

:wacko:

How is less demand for holidays going to reduce the costs of the holidays? It will actually increase the costs for holiday companies - economies of scale and all, buying in bulk etc...

Did you mean to say 'price fall'. Now that may make sense Mr Mclaren. I still doubt it would happen however. These companies need to make a profit after all. Only so far they can drop their prices. ;)

Chip Douglas

Personally, I wouldn't spend too much time in LA, don't rate the place at all. Hollywood is probably the highlight, it has a scruffy rock appeal to it.

Take in Death Valley if you can but stock up on water. I was there with the bird in March and even then, it was approaching 100 degrees!

That's right. It makes perfect business sense to sell holidays at a loss. :rolleyes:

LA is cack. Avoid at all costs.

davemclaren
:wacko:

How is less demand for holidays going to reduce the costs of the holidays? It will actually increase the costs for holiday companies - economies of scale and all, buying in bulk etc...

Did you mean to say 'price fall'. Now that may make sense Mr Mclaren. I still doubt it would happen however. These companies need to make a profit after all. Only so far they can drop their prices. ;)

It depends whose costs you are referring to as you say. :)

Anyway. assuming the holiday companies block booked accommodation and flights a year or so ago and hedged any currency fluctuations I think there will be last minute bargains to be had.

coppercrutch
It depends whose costs you are referring to as you say. :)

Anyway. assuming the holiday companies block booked accommodation and flights a year or so ago and hedged any currency fluctuations I think there will be last minute bargains to be had.

Indeed, always bargains to be had !!

I actually think we may be seeing the end of the era of cheap flights. Head of BA seems to think so, but he would say that !!

I don't think in a couple of years you will see people popping over to Denmark on a ?10 flight.

Fill yer boots while you still can !!

davemclaren
Indeed, always bargains to be had !!

I actually think we may be seeing the end of the era of cheap flights. Head of BA seems to think so, but he would say that !!

I don't think in a couple of years you will see people popping over to Denmark on a ?10 flight.

Fill yer boots while you still can !!

I agree re cheap flights. Fuel costs and the green agenda will put paid to them over the next years.

coppercrutch
I agree re cheap flights. Fuel costs and the green agenda will put paid to them over the next years.

I agree. So for all those people who have recently bought holiday homes abroad as 'investments'.....................Oh dear...:rolleyes:

LA is cack. Avoid at all costs.

LA is a one night stopover so we don't have to get off the flight and drive straight to San Diego. I spent time there last year and didn't mind it, but I was staying well out of the centre in a nice area.

Do The Dance

Personally I was majorly disappointed by San Francisco. Was really looking forward to it prior to heading over.

Hong Kong is somewhere I would most certainly recommend going folks.

The devaluation of Sterling in the past year against the key holiday currency - the Euro is about 5% more than in the year after Black Wednesday!:eek:

The Brown-inspired devaluation of Sterling is obviously the key reason behind holiday prices rising - just wait until people see how few beers they can buy this summer ... but obviously fuel costs are much higher too.

Archived