Grant punted

artfuldodger

artfuldodger

been punted by the money bags russian.i can see there being big changes at chelsea,and if they dont win the european cup soon i reckon he might take off and leave them deep in it

The writing was on the wall for Grant with Kenyon's comments after the Champs League final.

Commander Harris
been punted by the money bags russian.i can see there being big changes at chelsea,and if they dont win the european cup soon i reckon he might take off and leave them deep in it

I disagree, Abramovich has shown no sign of his interest waning, seems to always be at the bridge and always enjoying himself. I don't think he's there for the money so if he's still happy I can't see things changing too much.

Agreed Trio. No room for failure at Chelsea FC. :)

vegas-voss

Bit in todays English Sun saying that Abramovich has had 6 meetings with Mourinho in the past month.

Delighted. Think it will be a very interesting summer at Stamford Bridge.

I also read on the BBC gossip column that Abrahamovic has had a few 'cosey chats' with Mourinho. Surely not?

Bit in todays English Sun saying that Abramovich has had 6 meetings with Mourinho in the past month.

Probably finding out if it's worth buying Inter.

crazy_jambo_2006

OK, I liked Grant. I don't like Chelsea though. I felt Grant did ok in the circumstances.

Chelsea are disgusting. They fire Mourinho - a brilliant manager, a winner. Then They replace him with this Grant. An unknown. Not as charasmatic. But give the man a chance.

Have Man United fired managers when they've won nowt in the modern era? No. They stood by Fergie during the occasional barren season (when Chelsea won the Prem).

OK, I liked Grant. I don't like Chelsea though. I felt Grant did ok in the circumstances.

Chelsea are disgusting. They fire Mourinho - a brilliant manager, a winner. Then They replace him with this Grant. An unknown. Not as charasmatic. But give the man a chance.

Do Man United fire managers? No.

Mourinho - failed to win the Champions League.

Grant - failed to win the EPL and Champions League.

ManUre - I give you Tommy Docherty, Frank O'Farrell and Big Ron Atkinson - and that's just for starters. :rolleyes:

flecktimus

Do Man United fire managers? No.

They almost sacked Ferguson

Excellent point. The FA Cup win saved him. I remember there was talk at the time of Hearts being poised to move for him when the axe fell.

vegas-voss
Excellent point. The FA Cup win saved him. I remember there was talk at the time of Hearts being poised to move for him when the axe fell.

:eek:

crazy_jambo_2006

Post edited. I meant to say in recent times.

We didn't win the sodding league for 3 years (2004, 2005, 2006) and yet he wasn't moved "upstairs".

Who the hell does Abramovich think he is? He shouldn't expect to buy trophies immediately. He already has 2 Prem titles.

Mourinho is a winner, who won the Champ League with Porto. I have time for the guy.

Grant had half a season - a team with some mercenaries, who are loyal not to Chelsea, but to Mourinho and will sign for Mourinho at his new club (Inter?).

------------------------------------------

ManUre - I give you Tommy Docherty, Frank O'Farrell and Big Ron Atkinson - and that's just for starters. :rolleyes:

Midloth_Iain

The deal was done. Fergie knew about it and was ready to accept if United got rid of him.

Rijkaard for Chelsea ? ;)

shaun.lawson
Agreed Trio. No room for failure at Chelsea FC. :)

Except that, even after his barren period of 1986-90, Alex Ferguson failed to win a trophy in 94/5, 97/8, 01/2 and 04/5 - and Man Utd stuck with him. Expecting Grant to win a trophy Mourinho could not while at the Bridge, as well as the title, despite starting with a handicap, is seriously rich: doesn't he deserve credit for accruing more points than Mourinho did last season, and going further in the CL than Jose was able to take Chelsea?

I accept that it's complicated, though. My sympathy for Grant is limited because he inherited an excellent squad, whereas Ferguson, Wenger and Benitez have had to build theirs up; and while he was never a no-hoper (Israel had never achieved anything like such consistency of results until Grant came along: they held the eventual World Cup finalists France home and away), if the job of head coach/manager of one of Europe's leading clubs had been decided on merit, Grant wouldn't even have warranted a mention.

So given I struggle to see how he could've really changed the way they play and brought in genuinely new ideas, personally, I think it's the right decision that he's gone. It doesn't exactly say much for Chelsea fans' class, though, that on here, rather than thanking him for everything he put in, and the memories of taking you to Moscow, the attitude appears to be one of good riddance. Is it any wonder Chelsea are so loathed if their fans are so utterly lacking in grace and decency?

shaun.lawson
The deal was done. Fergie knew about it and was ready to accept if United got rid of him.

Rijkaard for Chelsea ? ;)

Rijkaard, Mancini or Hiddink: one of those three, and Mancini's my guess. Meanwhile, while Mark Robins is a hero of mine for the part he played in Norwich's greatest ever season of 1992/3, I never realised his famous goal at Forest hadn't just saved Fergie's job, but also stopped him coming to Hearts!

If you recall, we still had a good side, hadn't hit financial troubles yet, Celtic were sliding towards total shambles, and Rangers only at the beginning of their transformation under old Minty Moonbeams himself. Just imagine how different this club's history might've been had Forest won that Cup tie!

rudi must stay

20 years ago yeah. They've stuck by him ever since, Chelsea should try this instead of sacking managers after 2 minutes

Except that, even after his barren period of 1986-90, Alex Ferguson failed to win a trophy in 94/5, 97/8, 01/2 and 04/5 - and Man Utd stuck with him. Expecting Grant to win a trophy Mourinho could not while at the Bridge, as well as the title, despite starting with a handicap, is seriously rich: doesn't he deserve credit for accruing more points than Mourinho did last season, and going further in the CL than Jose was able to take Chelsea?

I accept that it's complicated, though. My sympathy for Grant is limited because he inherited an excellent squad, whereas Ferguson, Wenger and Benitez have had to build theirs up; and while he was never a no-hoper (Israel had never achieved anything like such consistency of results until Grant came along: they held the eventual World Cup finalists France home and away), if the job of head coach/manager of one of Europe's leading clubs had been decided on merit, Grant wouldn't even have warranted a mention.

So given I struggle to see how he could've really changed the way they play and brought in genuinely new ideas, personally, I think it's the right decision that he's gone. It doesn't exactly say much for Chelsea fans' class, though, that on here, rather than thanking him for everything he put in, and the memories of taking you to Moscow, the attitude appears to be one of good riddance. Is it any wonder Chelsea are so loathed if their fans are so utterly lacking in grace and decency?

Grant was under no pressure what so ever in the league. Ask any Chelsea fan and deep down they didn't expect to win the Premiership when he came in. We lost the League Cup final to Spurs and were put out the F.A. Cup final by Barnsley. That has failure written all over it. Chelsea did very well to get to the Champions League Final, yes. Although, I think Mourinho would have got there eventually too. And, we didn't win it, which is all that matters.

Frail saves us from relegation, where was his thanks?

Chelsea I give you

Ron Suart

Eddie McCreadie

Ken Shellito

Danny Blanchflower

Geoff Hurst

Bobby Gould

John Neal

John Hollins

Bobby Campbell

Ian Porterfield

David Webb

Glenn Hoddle

Ruud Gullit

Gianluca Vialli

Graham Rix

Claudio Ranieri

Jos? Mourinho

Avram Grant

Not all sacked certainly, but most of them were.

:rolleyes:

Is it any wonder Chelsea are so loathed if their fans are so utterly lacking in grace and decency?

I'm proud of my association with Chelsea FC and have been since I first saw them - albeit on TV - in the 1970 FA Cup Final replay.

No one likes us, we don't care. :)

shaun.lawson
Grant was under no pressure what so ever in the league. Ask any Chelsea fan and deep down they didn't expect to win the Premiership when he came in. We lost the League Cup final to Spurs and were put out the F.A. Cup final by Barnsley. That has failure written all over it. Chelsea did very well to get to the Champions League Final, yes. Although, I think Mourinho would have got there eventually too. And, we didn't win it, which is all that matters.

Frail saves us from relegation, where was his thanks?

He should've received more thanks too - but 'saved us from relegation'? How many points did Gretna end up with? Far fewer than we had when Frail was made caretaker, I think you'll find!

The point is that Chelsea could easily have imploded when Mourinho left. That they didn't is down in no small part to the seamless job Grant did; and of course he was under pressure to win the league! He knew he had to pick up either the EPL or CL trophies, or else it would be curtains.

Not all sacked certainly, but most of them were.

:rolleyes:

So what Deek?

The point re sackings was about ManUre. I have no problem with Chelsea FC managers getting sacked if they are not doing the business.

rudi must stay
He should've received more thanks too - but 'saved us from relegation'? How many points did Gretna end up with? Far fewer than we had when Frail was made caretaker, I think you'll find!

The point is that Chelsea could easily have imploded when Mourinho left. That they didn't is down in no small part to the seamless job Grant did; and of course he was under pressure to win the league! He knew he had to pick up either the EPL or CL trophies, or else it would be curtains.

who couldn't do well with that team mate. They've got world class players in every position.

I think the reason that Chelsea didn't implode is down to Steve Clarke and the players.

Grant's big move? Anelka. What a resounding success that's been.

Grant knew fine well he was only a glorified caretaker too. He simply didn't fit the Chelsea brand.

If Chelsea did implode, we would have ended up with the exact same as we did. I think Grant would have been saved if he won the League Cup and we were knocked out the F.A. by a more respectable opposition. After those two he had to win something. With the squad at his disposal not winning a single trophy this season is a failure.

shaun.lawson
I'm proud of my association with Chelsea FC and have been since I first saw them - albeit on TV - in the 1970 FA Cup Final replay.

No one likes us, we don't care. :)

Notice you didn't answer my question! However, in a spirit of goodwill, and because I felt genuinely sorry for Chelsea on Wednesday (you were the better side, I thought, and I'm not sure if any team has ever gone so close to winning the European Cup without winning it), not to mention the point that, almost in spite of myself, I've really enjoyed bantering with you over the season on here, this one goes out to you - and all Chelsea fans reading this:

http://www.twohundredpercent.co.uk/music/chelsea.mp3

rudi must stay
Notice you didn't answer my question! However, in a spirit of goodwill, and because I felt genuinely sorry for Chelsea on Wednesday (you were the better side, I thought, and I'm not sure if any team has ever gone so close to winning the European Cup without winning it), not to mention the point that, almost in spite of myself, I've really enjoyed bantering with you over the season on here, this one goes out to you - and all Chelsea fans reading this:

http://www.twohundredpercent.co.uk/music/chelsea.mp3

i knew i shouldn't have clicked on that link :sad:

Notice you didn't answer my question!

I didn't see your question. Raise it again, and I'll address it.

Francis Albert
I disagree, Abramovich has shown no sign of his interest waning, seems to always be at the bridge and always enjoying himself. I don't think he's there for the money so if he's still happy I can't see things changing too much.

While in itself it isn't evidence of his interest waning, I've read a number of comments recently about how infrequent his visits to Stamford Bridge have been in the last few months.

While in itself it isn't evidence of his interest waning

Correct. He has many business interests that will undoubtedly demand his attention.

shaun.lawson
I didn't see your question. Raise it again, and I'll address it.

Is it any wonder Chelsea are so loathed if their fans are so utterly lacking in grace and decency?

shaun.lawson
Correct. He has many business interests that will undoubtedly demand his attention.

I can't see him losing interest either - at the very least, not until the European Cup is finally in his hands, anyway. Though things may get interesting when he and Peter Kenyon grasp that their aim of making Chelsea the biggest club in the world is pie in the sky - and totally at odds with the club becoming self-sustaining too.

Oh, right.

They're not lacking in grace or decency.

I hope this helps.

shaun.lawson
i knew i shouldn't have clicked on that link :sad:

LOL! I've always liked that song: it's delightfully innocent, somehow. "Come to the Shed and we'll welcome you" - hmm... Plus, I think it reminds me of the Chelsea side of 96/7 that broke the club's silverware drought, and which I was rooting for all the way.

making Chelsea the biggest club in the world is pie in the sky - and totally at odds with the club becoming self-sustaining too.

I'd agree Chelsea FC can never be the "biggest club in the world" (whatever "biggest" means). However they can definitely be self sustaining give the riches offered by the EPL.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Any word on the favourite to get the job?

Rijkard?

rudi must stay
Any word on the favourite to get the job?

Rijkard?

probably. I think his assistant guy Ten Cate might get the job though, when Mourinho left, Grant got promoted. Same thing could happen again

Archived