Was the "abandonment" pre planned?

Piper X

Snow had been forecast all day. Where were the sheets to cover the pitch? Why was under soil heating on so late? And why were they not out earlier trying to clear the snow from the whole pitch rather than the goal mouths?

It's no conspiracy, it's incompetence on the part of the SFA and Rangers. Heard on the radio on my way back they'd brought heat lamps out after the game to help. After the game. Not before. After.

Even an extra 15 minutes through a delayed kick off to try clear the pitch and check it then would've been better. The SFA need to investigate why this was allowed to happen. Had the radio on in the car on my way through, 7pm, games a goer. Arrive late. Called off 20 minutes in. It's absolutely infuriating. A wasted night for all concerned, but travelling fans deserve to be considered in all of this. Be it an extra 15 minutes to get through in dreadful conditions which held many up or a proper call off decision sooner than during the game.

As far as the SFA/SPFL are concerned, fans are something you scrape off your shoe!

The only "business" in the world where the customers are treated like dirt.

Spitonastranger

So Madden decided to stop the game because it would dampen the protests? According to Robbie Neilson, the referee asked the managers their thoughts and it was agreed that it was getting dangerous and the match should be stopped. Robbie Neilson also agreed that the referee was correct to start the game.

Could it simply be that the referee and managers thought that the snow would clear during the game and this didn't happen?

. Or Robbie is being diplomatic

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Yup.

Agree with all that and you can't really blame them.

Saved themselves being punished for the planned pitch invasion.

Yes you can blame them. Clubs are responsible for doing everything they can to keep games on (otherwise why are others paying a fortune for underground heating and plastic pitches?) and for keeping supporters safe. If they can't afford to do these things they shouldn't be in the league.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

what seems to be clear is it was possible to play the game if the pitch had been cleared

so questions are reasonable

Yes - the 6 yard boxes being clear and staying clear proves that.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Yes, you could see he was trying to get the game stopped when talking to the ref. He must have been in on the pre planned abandoning of the game.

I think everyone agrees abandoning the game was the correct decision. Starting the game seems to have been a bad call by the ref based on bad advice or a misreading of the conditions.

The real questions should be around why virtually no effort was made to get the pitch fit for the game. Rangers are 100% responsible for that. They could even have called on fans to help as other clubs do if they can't afford to pay groundsmen.

If the gap at the top was in The Rangers favour, or we were toiling with injuries, would so little effort have been made with the pitch?

Rumour is once the match starts rangers must receive the TV money...

We need a sticky on here.

The TV money is pulled and then distributed based on league position.

Don't think there's any conspiracy, more bad management and planning

Clear evidence of a rudderless ship and those on the bridge too focussed on money to think about football.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

We need a sticky on here.

The TV money is pulled and then distributed based on league position.

It's mental the amount of times the same things need explaining on here eh! :lol:

Sepp's Bladder

As someone posted on another thread. TV pressure lead to the game taking place in my eyes.

Common sense prevailed before any injuries took place.

p.s did anyone else find great enjoyment in the Lee Wallace swing and miss?! :2thumbsup:  

Being honest guys I thought from the start the only reason the game went ahead was because of money, not sure about TV cash rules etc but I smell a big royal blue Rangers rat!

I think everyone agrees abandoning the game was the correct decision. Starting the game seems to have been a bad call by the ref based on bad advice or a misreading of the conditions.

The real questions should be around why virtually no effort was made to get the pitch fit for the game. Rangers are 100% responsible for that. They could even have called on fans to help as other clubs do if they can't afford to pay groundsmen.

I am prepared to believe the ground staff acted in good faith when advising the ref that the snow would melt due to the combined effects of the under soil heating and players running about the pitch.

Unfortunately, it appears that as the snow started to melt, it began to compact into icy patches, even though from a distance the pitch looked much clearer when the game was abandoned than it had done prior to kick-off.

Also, while the ref and his assistants tested the conditions, they were passing the ball back and forward from about 5 yards apart.  They should have stood at either side of the penalty area and tried to pass it on the deck over a longer distance.  I'm sure they would have noticed a more adverse affect.

They might also have tried running towards each other at full pelt then attempt to swerve past one another to properly gauge the impact that the players would encounter in real match conditions.

portobellojambo1

Rumour is once the match starts rangers must receive the TV money...

Money doesn't go to the home team immediately after any match, it goes into a pool of money  held by the league and is distributed at the end of the season.

Amongst all of the conspiracy theories being chucked about, I find it bizarre that anyone would lay blame at the Police's door for this.

Apart from the inconvenience to the fans and the disgusting behaviour of the Rangers fans after the game, I don't actually think it's a bad thing the game was called off.

By the time it's rescheduled we will probably have Sow back. The pitch should be in a far better condition to suit our football and the gap might even have widened beyond 13 points.

Hagar the Horrible

I think they just tried to save a few bob on not putting the heating on all day and it backfired

Jambof3tornado

And still nobody in an official capacity has questioned why the snow wasnt simply swept off the pitch after the snow stopped falling at 7pm.

Had this farce happened at tynecastle we'd be getting hell in the press/media would we not.

As usual the travelling fans suffer at the hands of those running our game.

scottish_chicP

And still nobody in an official capacity has questioned why the snow wasnt simply swept off the pitch after the snow stopped falling at 7pm.

Had this farce happened at tynecastle we'd be getting hell in the press/media would we not.

As usual the travelling fans suffer at the hands of those running our game.

This is what gets to me! The whole situation last night was so dodgy and nothing from any official outlets.

They purposely never cleared the field hoping that it would give them an advantage and it totally backfired.

It was also daft as snow/ ice mean less running and more control of the ball- which our players have shown they are stronger in.

Personally I think the snow was left on the pitch to stop us plying our usual passing game, give them a bit of an upper hand ( feck if I was in their position I would do the same) it happens all the time, over watering the pitch, over sanding the pitch (one we used frequently) not cutting the grass short enough, but it got farcical when the under soil heating kicked in and melted the snow underneath while the snow on top started to freeze, a recipe for disaster as anyone who has anything to do with road gritting will tell you.

Seen some goon trying to blame the SFA AGAIN, have a word they have had nothing to do with it what so ever the only organisation that can do anything about it is the SPFL and I can't see why they would have a problem with what went on.

This is what gets to me! The whole situation last night was so dodgy and nothing from any official outlets.

It was a game LIVE on TV, these games tend to get a bit more leeway when it comes to conditions and the likes, if it had been today at 3pm it would have been called off long before the kick off.

Bobby Madden confirmed as much in his post natch interview

Could you imagine if this had been Gollum,he would have been lapping up all the attention at being interviewed

Will Bobby madden be re-assigned this game regardless of when it is?

Seymour M Hersh

After realising that McCoist was at our game at Dumbarton, obviously sussing us out, the tactical genius that he is was that to beat us was to have the pitch as it was last night or get the game called off?

You know, considering they're paying their gardener over ?750k per year you'd think at that fat salary he'd be able to keep the pitch in good nick! 

Seymour M Hersh

The police and stewards were aware of the abandonment, my sons arrived 5 minutes before game was stopped, they were told that they were not getting in as game was getting stopped, one of them phoned me and I spoke to a police officer who told me it was pointless letting anyone in and that the game would be over in 2 minutes, he said that they had been told to prepare, presume ref has passed the word to someone at edge of pitch to pass to police.

Which makes you wonder why (as fan who were at the game said) there was little or no police presence outside when our fans left the ground.

Jambof3tornado

Which makes you wonder why (as fan who were at the game said) there was little or no police presence outside when our fans left the ground.

Because they were concentrating their efforts on protecting the front of ibrox.

When I walked out there was no police presence, I was out fairly sharp with my daughter, I did wonder why we were out at the same time as them and no police about, but realised when I got back to the bus and radio said what was going on.

I am inclined to think the pitch was left that way to give the The Rangers an advantage however I can fully understand some of the opinions expressed here as Friday night was a complete ****ing shambles from start to finish.

Jambof3tornado

When I walked out there was no police presence, I was out fairly sharp with my daughter, I did wonder why we were out at the same time as them and no police about, but realised when I got back to the bus and radio said what was going on.

We we out really sharp and there were 2 coppers at the doorway (gw1). The only other cops we saw were away at the roundabout at asda/helen street. Pretty poor.

Whether it was "pre planned " or not I still say it is unprecedented that a ref abandons a game but decides to restart  the game just so police can get ready to protect Ibrox from rampaging fans - and that is what this is all about for me. The police were not concerned with the safety of Hearts fans inside or outside Ibrox (see the video clip where a Jambo ass a steward where the police are - they are clearly not inside the stadium).

There should be serious questions asked of Sevco and their stewarding , the abject failings of the police , Maddden and his decision to start this farce. And not least , if Madden decided to abandon the game because it was so dangerous - what about the H&S issue for players. That was sacrificed because scummy Sevco fans were more of a concern.

Archived