Tony Ford

Unknown user

Unknown user

I was looking up historical managers and came across Tony Ford.

He's a bit before my time but I saw that he was in charge for less than six months.

I was a bit surprised to see such a short reign, what was the story with him? Bad times I assume?

Auld Reekin'

He's a bit before my time but I saw that he was in charge for less than six months.

I was a bit surprised to see such a short reign, what was the story with him? Bad times I assume?

Very bad times. Probably the lowest ebb I've seen Hearts at, although much of last season* and the uncertainty surrounding Hearts' future ran it close. He was Bobby Moncur's assistant and, when Moncur got the boot, Ford took over. One of the poorest managers I've seen at Hearts, although the squad he had to work with was also very weak: anyone worth a bob or two had been sold on, so the team consisted mainly of journeyman players, the odd better player coming to the end of their career, and raw, untested, youngsters - from what I remember anyway.

(*Last season was often grim, but at least we knew we had some good - and even excellent - young players coming through.)

3fingersreid

I remember "watching" Hearts play at hampden against Queens park when he was in charge , no words could describe how shite we were then :(

Thig Ar Latha

Tony Ford was the Manager who took over from Bobby Moncur after he bought his contract out and moved 'SOB to Plymouth' IIRC. Football under Tony Ford (who was Moncur's assistant) was boring to be nice. 1-0 or 2-1 wins week in week out and very defensive. When he was sacked he moaned to the press that he was the only Manager to be sacked for winning. He was sacked because the football was barely watchable. Alex MacDonald took over from him. The rest is (sweet) history as the improvement was not only tangible, it was historically proven as it was followed by a golden ERA!!!

Guess The Crowd

Interesting to note at the end of that article that the idea for Sandy Jardine to Hearts had already been formed - by Moncur, if the article is to be believed. From memory, Sandy didn't arrive till a year later, summer of 1982.

Bad times. The club was probably at it's lowest point ever. Ford was an awful manager and there was a wave of inertia running through the entire club that Wallace Mercer eventually sorted out.

SectionDJambo

white jacket, Mmm suits you sir.

very sartorial

I remember Wallace going on about the white jacket after Tony Ford had gone. He seemed rather perplexed that a manager would wear such a garment on the touchline.

I also remember the match at Hampden against Queens Park, mentioned previously. We lost 1-0.

Maroon Sailor

Think the defeat to East Stirling at Tynecastle summed up his short tenure.

Turgid stuff to say the least.

Bad times. The club was probably at it's lowest point ever. Ford was an awful manager and there was a wave of inertia running through the entire club that Wallace Mercer eventually sorted out.

I have to laugh at some of the younger posters who posted last season and went on about how bad we were, jeez they should have been around in the late 70's and early 80's, now that was often dire.

Folk have mentioned the Queen's Park & East Stirling results but there was another one from that season (81/82), remember Forfar at home in the Scottish Cup, oh feck now that was a low point.

Maroon Sailor

I have to laugh at some of the younger posters who posted last season and went on about how bad we were, jeez they should have been around in the late 70's and early 80's, now that was often dire.

Folk have mentioned the Queen's Park & East Stirling results but there was another one from that season (81/82), remember Forfar at home in the Scottish Cup, oh feck now that was a low point.

At least Ford had left by the time of that infamous Forfar match.

Ford had left by the time of that infamous Forfar match

Yeh, I know that, I was just saying it was a dire time for us.

Maroon Sailor

Yeh, I know that, I was just saying it was a dire time for us.

Edited at the same time as your post as I realised you knew that !

That Forfar game is part of Hearts folklore. I remember having a wee smile that they had Stewart Kennedy in goal for them that day. Always remembered him from being wrapped around the goalposts at Wembley when Scotland got gubbed 5-1. He was a pish goalie but Hearts could've played til midnight and still not score.

Dead right - and remember the crowds that the club was pulling in at that time. There were times that I was convinced we were going to fold. Folk go on about a statue for Vlad - to my mind it's Wallace Mercer that should be cast in Bronze and on a plinth in McLeod Street, because without his intervention at that time the club was heading for oblivion.

Edited at the same time as your post as I realised you knew that !

That Forfar game is part of Hearts folklore. I remember having a wee smile that they had Stewart Kennedy in goal for them that day. Always remembered him from being wrapped around the goalposts at Wembley when Scotland got gubbed 5-1. He was a pish goalie but Hearts could've played til midnight and still not score.

Remember that, it just fueled the joke about Scottish Goalkeepers

Dead right - and remember the crowds that the club was pulling in at that time. There were times that I was convinced we were going to fold. Folk go on about a statue for Vlad - to my mind it's Wallace Mercer that should be cast in Bronze and on a plinth in McLeod Street, because without his intervention at that time the club was heading for oblivion.

Agree, entirely with your whole post.

Remember being in Tynie for the last game of the 80/81 season against St. Mirren, when there was around 2500 in the ground, that was eerie.

The club was going downhill fast from the mid/late 70's and was still in dire straights in the early 80's until Wallace Mercer came in and firstly stabilised the club then took it forward, everything Wallace Mercer did in my opinion was for the betterment of Hearts.  Folk who weren't around during this time can't comment as they never witnessed the plight of the club back then, what we went through last season was what we went through for several season's in the 70's and 80's without the obvious Administration part as it was reported constantly by the press that we were in financial dire straights and this went on for years until Wallace Mercer came in.  I for one really dread to think what would have happened to us if Mr. Mercer didn't take us over in the 80's, there is every chance that we would not be here now.

Maroon Sailor

Remember being in Tynie for the last game of the 80/81 season against St. Mirren, when there was around 2500 in the ground, that was eerie.

The club was going downhill fast from the mid/late 70's and was still in dire straights in the early 80's until Wallace Mercer came in and firstly stabilised the club then took it forward, everything Wallace Mercer did in my opinion was for the betterment of Hearts. Folk who weren't around during this time can't comment as they never witnessed the plight of the club back then, what we went through last season was what we went through for several season's in the 70's and 80's without the obvious Administration part as it was reported constantly by the press that we were in financial dire straights and this went on for years until Wallace Mercer came in. I for one really dread to think what would have happened to us if Mr. Mercer didn't take us over in the 80's, there is every chance that we would not be here now.

Mercer threw everything he had in to saving Hearts.

We were a midgie's dick away of going the same way as Third Lanark.

Bizarrely, I was digging through my programmes over Xmas and came across the one from this match. I remember my dismay at the penalty awarded to QP right at the end of the match (school end IIRC). Hadn't realised it was his last match in charge!

Back to 2005

I wasn't a regular back at this time but seemed to make a point of attending all the horrendous games mentioned. Don't think I saw Hearts score from about 1979 to 1982!! Don't really know why I insisted my dad took me back then as it must have been awful.

Glamorgan Jambo

Ford actually had a pretty good transfer budget which he proceeded to spend on a set of mostly duds.

It was only after Ford was sacked and Waldo's money was spent that Mercer (with MacDonald) came onto his game as Hearts owner.

Craig Herbertson

I wasn't a regular back at this time but seemed to make a point of attending all the horrendous games mentioned. Don't think I saw Hearts score from about 1979 to 1982!! Don't really know why I insisted my dad took me back then as it must have been awful.

It was really dreadful on the field. I'd actually blanked out Tony Ford from memory. I started  drifting away a bit then because my band was playing most Saturdays which on reflection was maybe just as well.

Back to 2005

It was really dreadful on the field. I'd actually blanked out Tony Ford from memory. I started drifting away a bit then because my band was playing most Saturdays which on reflection was maybe just as well.

Saw my first goal for years when Robbo came on at half time against Alloa and we won 3-0. Definitely a turning point in my Hearts supporting life!

Ford was only ever seen as a stop gap. Jim McLean was who Wallace wanted and he thought about it long and hard.

We eventually plumped for Doddie.

Mercer threw everything he had in to saving Hearts.

We were a midgie's dick away of going the same way as Third Lanark.

Spot on mate.

What we faced last year with the Admin etc we had already faced back in those days except the Admin part, there was no money, we had a very bad reputation with late payments for well everything.

I think some of the younger supporters and posters don't know just what a dire team we had back in those days and that our very exsistance was in real doubt, not just one time but time after time after time.

Anybody who has supported the Hearts from the mid 80's has only known relatively good stable times compared with the late 70's & early 80's, until the last few years that is.

I think it was mentioned in the "Back from the Brink" video that when we signed Willie Pettigrew that he was in one room and the Sheriff Officers were noting what could be sold off in another room IIRC, and if not him it was somebody else, but I'm sure it happened.

The club was going downhill fast from the mid/late 70's and was still in dire straights in the early 80's until Wallace Mercer came in and firstly stabilised the club then took it forward, everything Wallace Mercer did in my opinion was for the betterment of Hearts.  Folk who weren't around during this time can't comment as they never witnessed the plight of the club back then, what we went through last season was what we went through for several season's in the 70's and 80's without the obvious Administration part as it was reported constantly by the press that we were in financial dire straights and this went on for years until Wallace Mercer came in.  I for one really dread to think what would have happened to us if Mr. Mercer didn't take us over in the 80's, there is every chance that we would not be here now.

Prior to Wallace Mercer, the club was hog-tied with a decrepit board room that, due to the restricted share ownership, could not bring investment into the club.  

When the old board voted to open up share ownership and let Mercer take-over the club we saw an upturn both on and off the field.  Whatever people say about Mercer in his later years, the club was dying the death of a thousand cuts until he turned up.

. I took a week off work after the Forfar game. " sick".

Off on a tangent, but every time I'm prompted to visit londonhearts I cannot help but wish it was a lovely little iPhone app style site that was easy to navigate. I dunno how much it would cost to produce such a thing, but I DO know its an absolutely fantastic resource that I never seem to be able to navigate!!

...and although I've said it before, I'd once again like to praise those involved who've obviously worked hard on that site. It really is a credit to our club.

There are sometimes threads on Kickback asking for your worst all time Hearts XI. Most of the teams picked are better than the actual team from the 1980-81 season.

Hearts Heritage

Ford actually had a pretty good transfer budget which he proceeded to spend on a set of mostly duds.

It was only after Ford was sacked and Waldo's money was spent that Mercer (with MacDonald) came onto his game as Hearts owner.

Paddy Byrne     1-Jul-1981     

Roddy Macdonald     1-Jul-1981     ?55,000

Stewart MacLaren     1-Jul-1981     ?25,000

Gerry McCoy     1-Jul-1981     

Derek Strickland     1-Jul-1981     

Brian McNeill     1-Aug-1981     Free Transfer

Henry Smith     1-Aug-1981     ?2000

Derek Addison     1-Sep-1981     ?55000

Willie Pettigrew     1-Sep-1981     ?120000

Peter Marinello     1-Oct-1981     Free Transfer

There are sometimes threads on Kickback asking for your worst all time Hearts XI. Most of the teams picked are better than the actual team from the 1980-81 season.

There were some real shockers in that particular team.

Yeh, we couldn't buy a goal at Tynie that season.

Thanks to London Hearts for this info.

Season 1980/81:

Out of the 18 home games we failed to score in 11 of them, we scored our first home league goal against St. Mirren on the 1 Nov which was our 6th home league game.

We only scored 10 league goals at home out of 18 games, that just shows how grim that team were.

Hearts Heritage

Players used

Rk     Player     Apps     Goals

1     Peter Shields     22     1

2     Paddy Byrne     21     0

2     Roddy Macdonald     21     2

2     Henry Smith     21     0

5     Alex Hamill     20     1

6     Stewart MacLaren     19     0

7     Walter Kidd     17     0

8     Chris Robertson     16     3

9     Gary Liddell     15     4

9     Brian McNeill     15     0

9     Derek O'Connor     15     4

12     Willie Pettigrew     14     4

13     Derek Addison     13     2

13     Gary Mackay     13     2

15     Dave Bowman     10     0

16     Alex MacDonald     9     0

17     Gerry McCoy     8     1

18     Colin More     7     0

19     John Brough     3     0

19     Peter Marinello     3     1

21     Frank Liddell     2     0

21     Paul O'Brien     2     0

23     Derek Strickland     1     0

I had the "pleasure" of being a home and away fan during those dark days. I didn't really know any different so just accepted it. Looking back though, on the field was proper bad, off the field was "interesting". I really wish someone would write a book about what the Hearts support got up to in those days.

Craig Herbertson

I had the "pleasure" of being a home and away fan during those dark days. I didn't really know any different so just accepted it. Looking back though, on the field was proper bad, off the field was "interesting". I really wish someone would write a book about what the Hearts support got up to in those days.

There's been a few threads. Let's say it was a time of social unrest...

Chris Robertson is John's big brother and is a Jambo, I think the other brother George is the hibs supporter.

Hearts Heritage

Chris Robertson is John's big brother and is a Jambo, I think the other brother George is the hibs supporter.

All 3 have been on the pitch at Wembley :)

punkrockcroc

I remember Wallace going on about the white jacket after Tony Ford had gone. He seemed rather perplexed that a manager would wear such a garment on the touchline.

I also remember the match at Hampden against Queens Park, mentioned previously. We lost 1-0.

Then we signed the goal scorer (I think, GerryMcCoy).

Archived